Options

[STEAM GREENLIGHT] New rules added, check the OP

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    That's what I suspected, though I am a bit surprised that the bar wasn't a progress bar. It makes sense though given that the numbers aren't yet set in stone.

That was in response to this picture:
    e89cN.png

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Well that's...something. So a game can't be thumbsdowned out of there, huh?

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I missed this thread earlier, and am going to add some rules to it. The general concern is that this thread will be like honey to the flies that are spammers.

The first rule isn't new: you aren't allowed to pimp your own game. It's fair game if other people have brought it up, but don't remind people to vote or similarly annoying stuff. You also shouldn't beat around the bush and just come out and say that you're a dev should your game come up in the thread. This applies to regular users. While we love to support community members, spammers will see your self-promotion as a license to annoy us.

The second is that new users who start suggesting games will probably be treated as sitewhores. If you're new, come in here to suggest stuff, and aren't showing any kind of behavior that suggests you are trying to integrate with the rest of the community, then you'll probably be punished.

The third is to basically not be obnoxious. Don't constantly bug people to vote for some game you really want to see on Steam. If you are THAT passionate, then stick something subtle in your sig.

Hopefully, this shouldn't affect most of you, but just a heads-up.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I had pretty much figured right from the get go that downvotes didn't really actually mean anything.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I missed this thread earlier, and am going to add some rules to it. The general concern is that this thread will be like honey to the flies that are spammers.

The first rule isn't new: you aren't allowed to pimp your own game. It's fair game if other people have brought it up, but don't remind people to vote or similarly annoying stuff. You also shouldn't beat around the bush and just come out and say that you're a dev should your game come up in the thread. This applies to regular users. While we love to support community members, spammers will see your self-promotion as a license to annoy us.

The second is that new users who start suggesting games will probably be treated as sitewhores. If you're new, come in here to suggest stuff, and aren't showing any kind of behavior that suggests you are trying to integrate with the rest of the community, then you'll probably be punished.

The third is to basically not be obnoxious. Don't constantly bug people to vote for some game you really want to see on Steam. If you are THAT passionate, then stick something subtle in your sig.

Hopefully, this shouldn't affect most of you, but just a heads-up.
    Duly noted. Thanks for weighing in, I've updated the OP accordingly.
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I had pretty much figured right from the get go that downvotes didn't really actually mean anything.
    If nothing else, downvoting does remove the game from your pool of new submissions, so there's at least some incentive there.

• Options
    Oh yeah, absolutely

I'll still continue downvoting games I'm not interested in just to move them off my "games to be rated" page.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Hmm.. that's probably the purpose of downvoting, actually!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    They could just add an 'Ignore' option if that's the case.

...and probably limit the amount of stuff that can go up at any one time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Yes Ignore would have been nice, there are games that I don't care for that others might like.
    Is there a "Your task as a community member" message somewhere to tell us what they actually expect us to do.

Vote on all (up or down)
    Upvote what you want, downvote what you don't want and leave the rest alone.

• Options
    The upvoting and downvoting is to gauge your interest.

It doesn't matter if you think someone else might like something if you have no interest in it.

Don't feel bad about downvoting things, especially since it has no effect on anything whatsoever.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Contrast looks interesting. Gave it a thumps up.

Me too. One of the few I did.

Is it rude to thumbs-down a game if the description has bad grammar? For example, one game had "1980's".

I don't know about rude, they don't know why you gave it a thumbs down, but it does seem like a small thing in the scheme of things. For me, it's not an exam, it's a simple question: Do you want to see this game on Steam? My motives are very selfish; it kills me that so many of these games won't get a chance.

Also: That mistake looks like one I would make. 1980s looks wrong to me, for some reason.

It's because most people do it - write it with an apostrophe, that is. That was one of the more minor examples, just the one I could remember exactly. I've been looking at it first from a professional perspective - does this look like someone who is taking this game thing seriously, then thinking "Would I buy this?" as well.

Have you been surprised at how many games are in the Green limbo? Did you think there would be more or less? I think I'm a little - thought there'd be a few here & there.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It'd be nice if there were an option so that rating a game would automatically load up the next game to rate.

• Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    Alright, word on the strasse from Valve is that downvotes do not affect the game in question. They just get them off your radar and off your screen. This is in conjunction with the upvote/downvote percentage having been recently removed from the developer's private screen. So now we can't see how much we're hated by the trolls, which I think is a good thing. Valve also said that the data from this was "not useful."

So: downvote to your heart's content. You're not squashing anyone's dreams if you do.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    It'd be nice if there were an option so that rating a game would automatically load up the next game to rate.

Yes a million times this

Or at least Next Game and Previous Game buttons.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    That game Kenshi looks really cool. Kinda Mount & Blade-ish.

I've just been voting for stuff that I think looks interesting. Whether or not I'll buy it is another question, but whether it should be on steam and available to on a wider platform is what's really interesting to me.

Of course nothing I've voted for is above 5% so my opinions on the matter may be irrelevant!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but I don't think downvotes are completely irrelevant. All they said was that they don't nullify upvotes and that they are no longer shown to the developers.
    Downvote information should still have some weight in the final decision. If a game has 20k upvotes and 5k downvotes it will more likely be approved faster than a game with say 20k/15k.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Why though?

Those 10k more downvotes don't represent "negative sales" or anything, it would be absurd from any angle.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Contrast looks interesting. Gave it a thumps up.

Me too. One of the few I did.

Is it rude to thumbs-down a game if the description has bad grammar? For example, one game had "1980's".

I don't know about rude, they don't know why you gave it a thumbs down, but it does seem like a small thing in the scheme of things. For me, it's not an exam, it's a simple question: Do you want to see this game on Steam? My motives are very selfish; it kills me that so many of these games won't get a chance.

Also: That mistake looks like one I would make. 1980s looks wrong to me, for some reason.

It's because most people do it - write it with an apostrophe, that is. That was one of the more minor examples, just the one I could remember exactly. I've been looking at it first from a professional perspective - does this look like someone who is taking this game thing seriously, then thinking "Would I buy this?" as well.

Have you been surprised at how many games are in the Green limbo? Did you think there would be more or less? I think I'm a little - thought there'd be a few here & there.

Not suprised, but the upvotes they require seems to be over a million, which is rather high. I guess I'm frustrated by the Steam apprival process. It's not like they have limited shelf space. I know you want to avoid flooding the store with junk, but To The Moon, for example, should be on Steam. Maybe it's inside baseball stuff, but it still seems silly. Plus, the process can't be that rigourous. Bad Rats, that 2012 game, etc. Hell, there are games that don't even start for most people.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Why though?

Those 10k more downvotes don't represent "negative sales" or anything, it would be absurd from any angle.

Because that would mean that even a bad game, given enough time, could reach enough upvotes and be approved even if it had a majority of downvotes.
    I know downvotes don't represent negative sales but a up/down ratio can be valuable in the final decision and can predict how well a game will be received by a wider audience. I just think any data is good data and downvote information shouldn't be completely discarded. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Why though?

Because that would mean that even a bad game, given enough time, could reach enough upvotes and be approved even if it had a majority of downvotes.
    I know downvotes don't represent negative sales but a up/down ratio can be valuable in the final decision and can predict how well a game will be received by a wider audience. I just think any data is good data and downvote information shouldn't be completely discarded. :)

Unlikely, first off this suggests a massive influx of new greenlight users over time to cause a trickle of upvotes to meet some arbitrary goal number of upvotes. Maybe across a span of years this sort of user growth could be accomplished.

But then even accepting the fact that it could slowly obtain upvotes over a long period of time in that fashion, it would rely on the "goal" being a specific arbitrary number, which Valve has specifically stated is not the case. You're not aiming for a specific number of upvotes so much as a number of upvotes that compares favorably with the number of users.

So in the end, the goal number will fluxuate and a situation in which a game has a majority of downvotes should not be possible with the system as it is laid out, regardless of how many total votes.

• Options
    I understand that. I'm just having a hard time trying to accept the fact that they would completely ignore downvote information and consider it irrelevant.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    This looks very promising
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e-Oz5Jn3JQU

The Age Of Decadence is an isometric, turn-based, single-player 3D role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire. The game features a detailed skill-based character system, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and extensive dialogue trees.

Features

•23 skills, ranging from Dagger and Critical Strike to Disguise and Persuasion to Alchemy and Lore.

•Tactical combat system, featuring a flexible set of standard attacks, special attacks such as whirlwind and impale, and aimed attacks at different body parts.

•8 weapon types: daggers, swords, axes, hammers, spears, bows, crossbows, throwing weapons, each with individual traits.

•Non-combat quest resolutions and a well-developed diplomatic path.

•Over 100 quests, taking you to 22 locations: towns, outposts, archeological digs, sealed places of Power, underground facilities,
    and temples.

•Each situation has multiple ways of handling it, based on your skills, reputation, and connections.

•An interesting world with rich history and unclear future that your actions can shape into seven very different game endings.

•Detailed crafting and alchemy systems: melt items and create new ones, balance your sword, play with Greek fire, increase your poison's potency, use corrosive acid on locks, and experiment with black powder.

•Hundreds of items, ranging from weapons and armor to scrolls, tools, flasks, and pre-war relics.

Demo impressions

GameBanshee: "Ultimately, the demo of Age of Decadence has, more than any game in a long while, left my jaw firmly planted on the floor. As an RPG player who loves deep character systems, game worlds with rich lore, nebulous and amoral situations, deep reactivity and interesting quest design, the age of decadence doesn't just meet the bar, it leaves some of the best and classic CRPGs in the dust. And as much as I can complain and nit-pick about what the game does or doesn't do, I find myself constantly coming back to it, just to try the same scenarios again as a different character, or to see if I can win a challenging fight, and ten times through, I'm still finding new locations, events and characters - that's the sign of a great RPG to me."

http://www.gamebanshee.com/previews/107446-the-age-of-decadence-preview.html

Try the demo

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2488.0.html

Visit us

http://www.irontowerstudio.com

People should be all over this.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Yes a million times this

Or at least Next Game and Previous Game buttons.

I wish that the games could be separated by genre. I don't really care for f2p online fps games or awkward Japanese dating sims, so it would be nice if I could just boot those from my screen.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Age of Decadence and Kenshi are looking particularly fantastic. Thanks for the heads up!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    In Verbis Virtus looks pretty promising. Though the name is weird. It uses voice commands and magic words to cast spells and solve puzzles through use of a microphone. I tried the demo and it worked really well, a lot better than i thought. Was really quite fun. Alos Purge parkour plus survival looks fun as hell.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    ohgodohgodohgod Silent Storm is a candidate? This MUST get in. This damn game is almost impossible to find now without spending an arm and a leg.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    ohgodohgodohgod Silent Storm is a candidate? This MUST get in. This damn game is almost impossible to find now without spending an arm and a leg.

It's on GOG already.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I'm curious why some of these suggestions/repeated suggestions/games that many people are expressing interest in aren't making it onto the list in the OP.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @BrocksMullet try not to format your posts in such a way that you look like an advertisement.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Ok, The Intruder looks fucking incredible and creepy.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    That's what I suspected, though I am a bit surprised that the bar wasn't a progress bar. It makes sense though given that the numbers aren't yet set in stone.
    captaink wrote: »

That was in response to this picture:
    e89cN.png
    Ah, you meant that one. Yeah, I fully understand it then.

This is why I asked my question at the Extra Credits panel.

• Options
    @BrocksMullet try not to format your posts in such a way that you look like an advertisement.

I assume you mean the copy and pasted bullet-points, and not the general pimpage.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

I assume you mean the copy and pasted bullet-points, and not the general pimpage.

Also I didn't see a link to the Greenlight page.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Momonga Pinball Adventures looks pretty ace!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm watching InFlux, since LaCabra is a cool dude. How many votes do you need to get onto Steam? His still seems to be at 1% :(

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I don't think I really understand the purpose for this greenlight thing. If a game is good enough on it's own won't it eventually make it to Steam anyway? And what is this saying, that if a game doesn't get enough votes it won't go on Steam? Shouldn't they just sort of put everything on Steam and offer more options regardless? I love Steam, but this whole operation seems pointless to me.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I don't think I really understand the purpose for this greenlight thing. If a game is good enough on it's own won't it eventually make it to Steam anyway?
    Nope!

Lots of games that you'd think should be allowed on Steam have been turned down or never responded to prior to this because sorting through and judging the enormous volume of entries is difficult and time-consuming and Valve is probably a company uniquely unsuited to do it themselves.
    The FAQ pretty much answers this though
    I'm watching InFlux, since LaCabra is a cool dude. How many votes do you need to get onto Steam? His still seems to be at 1% :(
    Thanks! Nobody knoooows. We are at 1036 current favourites and 12,909 unique visitors right now. Not sure how much more I can promote it to be honest. :P

• Options
    Do you know how many likes you got? It might be interesting to extrapolate that into what % of active steam users need to like a game to get it to 100%

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I wish. That's all the info I get at the moment.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Is it not that if you pass the vote threshold, Valve will properly take a look and consider it for Steam? I've not read into it, but it seems that for them to say "meet this goal, and we'll absolutely put you up" is quite a big promise.

forumsig.png