As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 60GB for $350 if you open Sony CC

• Options
    StudioAudienceStudioAudience Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    musanman wrote: »
    Just so it's clear, opening a credit card and closing it does have adverse effects on your credit rating.

So it would be better to just pay off the bill and cut up the card? I've always heard different things on the downsides to opening credit cards and closing them soon after. And damn this is tempting. So tempting!

StudioAudience on
    studaud.png
    GFWL: studaud (for SF4)
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just so it's clear, opening a credit card and closing it does have adverse effects on your credit rating.

So it would be better to just pay off the bill and cut up the card? I've always heard different things on the downsides to opening credit cards and closing them soon after. And damn this is tempting. So tempting!

that's what I've been doing, I just bought a house so I needed to be careful for a little while...I'm sure it's not a huge deal but if you have $5k available credit and then you close it down you might hurt your credit. Nobody knows how credit is calculated (it's magic I don't care what you say), so I just thought I've give people a heads up.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, I'm having a real hard time keeping my mouse pointer away from that "Apply Now" button.

I'm also wondering if the $299 minimum purchase applies to one item or a group of items in one purchase, as a $170 PSP Slim with 3~4 games also sounds pretty good.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    So wait.
    You have to pay $650 for a PS3 to get it for $350?

That's...
    not as good a deal as it sounds.

A PS3 is $500 in the USA right now.

I wonder how this all applies to Canada. Probably doesn't.

But think about it.
    $500 for the PS3.
    Then, you pay thr mandatory $300 purchase(or $300 OF purchases. Either way.)
    That's $800 dollars for the PS3.
    Now subtract the $150.

You just payed $50 MORE than their 80gig. For a 60gig.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So wait.

That's...

But think about it.
    $500 for the PS3.
    Now subtract the $150.

The $500 dollar PS3 counts as the $300 purchase.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    Well that sucks. I just bought a 60giger about 2 weeks ago. :x

so return it?

/obvious

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    So wait.

That's...

But think about it.
    $500 for the PS3.
    Now subtract the $150.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Haha Bionic Monkey, I like the way you said it better.

EDIT- If I didn't already have a PS3, I think I'd be all over this.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    So wait.

That's...

But think about it.
    $500 for the PS3.
    Now subtract the $150.

Then what the fuck is the point of making people make the $300 purchase in order to get their $150 knocked off?
    That doesn't make a goddamn lick of sense if the PS3 is part of the purchase.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So wait.

That's...

But think about it.
    $500 for the PS3.
    Now subtract the $150.

Yeah, like he's saying - it's not a $500 PS3 AND a $300 purchase. The $500 PS3 *IS* the >$300 purchase.

Here are the ABCs of this deal:

A) Apply for the card. Get accepted.

B) Charge the $499 PS3 to this card. (Plus tax and shipping)

C) Pay off $349 (Plus tax and shipping) on the card, and leave the remaining $150 to be credited back to you.

Total out of pocket expense: $349 (Plus tax and shipping)

The tax and shipping don't make this a worse deal - you have to pay those on a full price PS3 anyway, so the deal is still a $150 discount.

EDIT: And since the deal is being run by Sony itself - it's not some third party rebate - the chances of it falling through are minimal.

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So wait.

That's...

But think about it.
    $500 for the PS3.
    Now subtract the $150.

Then what the fuck is the point of making people make the $300 purchase in order to get their $150 knocked off?

Dude, the PS3 isn't a prize you get for signing up. It's just the most exciting application to people here on the forums.

It works like this: sign up for a Sony credit card>buy something over $299 on your first purchase>get $150 deducted from your total. One of the things you can buy with your new Sony card is a PS3, which is over $299, which means you'll get $150 deducted from the total price, which means it'll only cost you $350.

It's not that hard, man.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So wait.

That's...

But think about it.
    $500 for the PS3.
    Now subtract the $150.

The deal isn't PS3 specific. It's just specific to the credit card. In order to get you to sign up they're offering $150 off when you charge $300 to the credit card at the Sony Style store (either online or B&M).

We're just talking about using the deal to get a PS3 specifically, since it brings the PS3 price tag down into a range that's actually pretty reasonable.

The funny thing for me here is that I don't think I'm actually going to buy a PS3 game for a while. It'll mostly be a PS2 (One of the reasons I'm pouncing on this is that I want an EE unit while they still exist) and a BluRay player for me for a long while.

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The fine print SPECIFICALLY MENTIONS the $300 purchase.
    This is the part that confuses the shit out of me. Why the fuck are they warning you that you need to make a $300 purchase to get the $150 off your PS3 IF THE PS3 IS THE PURCHASE.

That's like me telling you "You can post here for free...but you need to give us your e-mail." Well, you signed up...that gave them your e-mail. Why not just say "register"?

They either added superfluous fineprint, or they are hoping no one catches it.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shit, shit, shit!

This could not have come at a worse time. I'm fucking moving in a month and now I'm crunching numbers about how we could do this. Girlfriend said yes, if it's possible, I'll do it.

Shit fuck fuckity shit.

Any rich people wanna buy me a PS3?

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This is the part that confuses the shit out of me. Why the fuck are they warning you that you need to make a $300 purchase to get the $150 off your PS3 IF THE PS3 IS THE PURCHASE.

That's like me telling you "You can post here for free...but you need to give us your e-mail." Well, you signed up...that gave them your e-mail. Why not just say "register"?

Man, look, the purchase can be anything over $300. The deal is, sign up for the card. If you make a purchase over $300, they will then credit $150 back to you. That's it. The PS3 is not mentioned in the promotion, the purchase can be whatever...as long as it's over $300. Go read the original link again. You can buy anything you want. People are just thinking it would be great to use it for a PS3.

I'm starting to lose my patience a little with you, I'm sorry...

brynstar on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shit, shit, shit!

This could not have come at a worse time. I'm fucking moving in a month and now I'm crunching numbers about how we could do this. Girlfriend said yes, if it's possible, I'll do it.

Shit fuck fuckity shit.

Deal looks like it's till November

Lothars on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

My dear god man. It's buy something "SONY" that costs over $299 and get $150 off.

Buy a god damn Plasma for $2000 and you get $150 off.

Sony doesn't care how much you spend as long as you spend over $300.

I can't do it because a new 360 just showed up to my house without the wife knowing until she opened it. If she opened a PS3 next week I have to pull an Al Bundy and that's not worth a PS3 at this time ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shit, I'm guessing if I'm not approved right away, and instead get the "Thanks for applying screen." I wasn't approved, right?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

There is no superfluous fine print. The PS3 is simply one of many amazing things you can purchase from SonyStyle.com, some of which retail for under $299, in which case they would not qualify for the $150 deduction, while others (including the PS3) retail for over $299, in which case they do qualify for the $150 deduction.

The only place the fine print even mentions a PS3 is as one item (among many) that you can earn, by getting points for every dollar you purchase using the Sony credit card.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Shit, I'm guessing if I'm not approved right away, and instead get the "Thanks for applying screen." I wasn't approved, right?

Can't say for sure, but mine did show an immediate approval.

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »

Not necessarily. I've done a few online apps before and got that screen, and then been approved a few days later. It could mean the system is busy or they need more time to process your app. Wait a few days, then if you don't hear anything, get in touch with them.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Lothars wrote: »
    Shit, shit, shit!

Shit fuck fuckity shit.

Deal looks like it's till November

Yep. Just gotta sign up for the card before August 31. Long as your first purchase is over $299, and before November 30th, you'll still get the $150 off.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Am I reading a different fine print? All it says on the one I'm reading is that if you make a purchase over $299 you get $150 in credit. It has nothing to do with the PS3 its just that people on this forum happen to want that.

khain on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Is that it? The OP makes it sound like it's some Sony specific deal and throws around that "OMG SONY IS TOTALLY GIVING YOU A GREAT DEAL ON THE PS3"
    If it's good for a $300 purchase(or $300 IN purchases), I can just gas up my car, buy dinner for my friends and then...
    That's a $100 Wii.
    *Rubs chin*

Hey, you use it for YOUR super expensive shit, and I'll use it for my mildly expensive shit ;)

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wait I'm still confused.

Goddamnit.
    Just once I want something that a credit card company shits out as a "Great deal" that's eventually gonna fuck you over to be understandable.

I'm still not trusting this shit.
    Not because it's Sony mind you. But because it's a credit card.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh - time parameters of the deal.

You need to *apply for the card* before the end of August.

However, as long as you get the card by then, you have until November 30th to make your $300 in purchases.

So if you can't swing the PS3 right now, just apply for the card. You have until the end of November to buy it - and then, since it's a credit card and has 0% APR for the first 12 months, you still don't have to pony up all the cash immediately. (Prolly better to do so if you can, so you don't forget, though)

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Is that it? The OP makes it sound like it's some Sony specific deal and throws around that "OMG SONY IS TOTALLY GIVING YOU A GREAT DEAL ON THE PS3"
    If it's good for a $300 purchase(or $300 IN purchases), I can just gas up my car, buy dinner for my friends and then...
    That's a $100 Wii.
    *Rubs chin*

Hey, you use it for YOUR super expensive shit, and I'll use it for my mildly expensive shit ;)

No see, you didn't go back and actually read the offer. The purchase must be made at the Sony Style store or SonyStyle.com. But it can be anything they offer.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's a $100 Wii.
    *Rubs chin*

Nope. $300 one-time purchase from SonyStyle.com or a Sony Style b&m store.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's not 150$ off a PS3 I have no idea why you think that Muffin Man. You get a Sony credit card, you then use the card topurchase for at least 300$ of merchandise in their store be it a ps3, or a tv, or mp3 player, or a bunch of small shits. Then 8 to 12 weeks later you get a 150$ credit on your credit card.

Simple, no?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That's a $100 Wii.
    *Rubs chin*

Okay, I see what's getting you.

You need to buy $300 worth of stuff *AT THE SONY STYLE STORE*.

That's the catch - and that's why you can't use this for dinner and gas.

dopplex on
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, if it doesn't have annual fee, it is better to just cut the card, throw it away and forget all about it.

Unless the card have annual fee, do not cancel the card.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's a $100 Wii.
    *Rubs chin*

Are you blind?
    Get a $150 card credit after your first purchase of $299 or more *1.
    *1. Sony Card is issued by Chase Bank USA, NA, and is subject to credit approval. Card credit will be applied to your Sony Card account 8-12 weeks after your first purchase of $299 or more ("Qualifying Purchase") at SonyStyle.com or Sony Style Stores. Offer expires August 31, 2007. First purchase must be made by November 30, 2007. In some instances an application may require additional processing, in which case Instant Credit will be unavailable. When you are approved for the Sony Card, you will receive your account and CVV2 number on-screen. Please make sure to make note of your account and CVV2 number as this information will not be available until you receive your card in the mail. If you are approved, you will be able to make a one-time purchase at SonyStyle.com only, with up to a maximum line of credit of $5,000. Additional purchases with this account cannot be made until your card is received in the mail. This promotional offer is available for new Sony Card account holders only; existing Sony Card account holders or accounts are not eligible. The Qualifying Purchase must post to your account between August 1, 2007 and November 30, 2007.

khain on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    dopplex wrote: »
    That's a $100 Wii.
    *Rubs chin*

Okay, I see what's getting you.

You need to buy $300 worth of stuff *AT THE SONY STYLE STORE*.

That's the catch - and that's why you can't use this for dinner and gas.

It's also the big reason I was confused.

Everyone talking about this makes it sound like you buy the PS3 with the card, ON TOP OF $300 worth of stuff at Sony's store, and you get the $150 back.

But I'm mostly wary because Sony has not given me much confidence in customer service. Add with that a credit card company in there and you've got me worried.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    khain wrote: »
    That's a $100 Wii.
    *Rubs chin*

Are you blind?
    Get a $150 card credit after your first purchase of $299 or more *1.
    *1. Sony Card is issued by Chase Bank USA, NA, and is subject to credit approval. Card credit will be applied to your Sony Card account 8-12 weeks after your first purchase of $299 or more ("Qualifying Purchase") at SonyStyle.com or Sony Style Stores. Offer expires August 31, 2007. First purchase must be made by November 30, 2007. In some instances an application may require additional processing, in which case Instant Credit will be unavailable. When you are approved for the Sony Card, you will receive your account and CVV2 number on-screen. Please make sure to make note of your account and CVV2 number as this information will not be available until you receive your card in the mail. If you are approved, you will be able to make a one-time purchase at SonyStyle.com only, with up to a maximum line of credit of $5,000. Additional purchases with this account cannot be made until your card is received in the mail. This promotional offer is available for new Sony Card account holders only; existing Sony Card account holders or accounts are not eligible. The Qualifying Purchase must post to your account between August 1, 2007 and November 30, 2007.

Thanks, that little insult is really making me think of you as more than just a jackass.

Also, this is the whole reason I was wary. Regardless of what I needed to buy, it doesn't specify whether or not the PS3 was the "Over $299 purchase" or not, and the OP made it sound like, again, it was just a rebate after buying a PS3 AND $300 worth of Sony stuff.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's not like you didn't deserve that and more, Muffin.

Pb on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't believe it...I think I'm actually going to get a PS3. Definitely had no plans to, but $400 after shipping/taxes is pretty much the sweet spot, and the version with EE+GS, no less!

Now to keep myself from snagging an XBR. That's the trick, right there.

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, what an asshole. I mean, here I am reading the fine print and seeing I have to spend $300 with no mention in the OP that the PS3 can, in fact, be that purchase, and I'm wary of a credit card company and a company not known for making great decisions lately.

I can understand the guys who got annoyed(one of them even said "Sorry, I'm kinda losing my patience"), but khain (and now Pb) are both just being dicks about it.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, what an asshole. I mean, here I am reading the fine print and seeing I have to spend $300 with no mention in the OP that the PS3 can, in fact, be that purchase, and I'm wary of a credit card company and a company not known for making great decisions lately.

I can understand the guys who got annoyed(one of them even said "Sorry, I'm kinda losing my patience"), but khain (and now Pb) are both just being dicks about it.

Hey man, it's no problem. I was the one that said I was sorry I was losing my patience, and part of it is just because the thread became a huge jumble of replies all trying to help out. You have to at least give people credit for being prompt! :) The deal is pretty good I think, I think part of the confusion might also be that the link in the OP links to something....which then links to the deal.

I am sorely tempted to use this and get a new television or something, but I reeaaallly don't need any new credit cards right now. That, and I'm saving up because the game release floodgates open in two weeks.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Probably the only reason this deal even exists is because SonyStyle and the Playstation division split the loss on the sale.

I mean, it's pretty obvious that Sony isn't making any money on selling 60GB EE PS3's for $350.

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Hey man, it's no problem. I was the one that said I was sorry I was losing my patience, and part of it is just because the thread became a huge jumble of replies all trying to help out. You have to at least give people credit for being prompt! :) The deal is pretty good I think, I think part of the confusion might also be that the link in the OP links to something....which then links to the deal.

And I appreciate you understand that I was merely wary. <3 No hard feelings.

The Muffin Man on