As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] Kingmaker Act 1: The Stolen Land (IC Thread)

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    "They aren't ready, get 'em!" Dhyrn yelled.
    Initiative Roll: 1d20 + 6 = 5 + 6 = 11

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Initiative roll: 1d20 + 2 = 19

• Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    Still a little miffed by the fact that his athletics were for naught, Gareth's a little slow to react...
    Initiative roll:1d20+2=9

PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Arifyn was too busy attempting to talk the man out of it to be ready for combat. When he did, he sighed. Violence already! And we haven't even gotten to a settlement! Deciding to try and talk his way out of it, he spoke softly to the main leader.

"My dear fellow, you have utterly picked the wrong group. We are not some ragtag group of merchants but rather a skilled gathering of sellswords, Kingsmen and vicious killers. You are not our concern, so I would suggest, Dear Friend, to pick easier targets. Or else I will be forced to bind you to the law and render you incapable of such injustice upon further fellows."
    Initiative: 1d20+2=3
    Minor Action: Intimidate Again! 1d20+9=14

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Bandit Banzai! Round 1

Matthew:
    Diplomacy Check: (Failure)

Jasper gasps for air, stifling his crying to a halt. “And risk getting beaten by the boss? I think not! I’m taking my chances with the boss, thank you very much! Best do as he says…”

Though on the ground, Jasper pulls out a mace from under his robes...

Arifyn:
    Intimidate Check: (Failure)

The large man bursts into a fit of laughter. “Last I checked, this is Stolen Lands territory! Your ‘rules and laws’ are worth jack squat around here! I ain’t ‘fraid of no Kingsmen!”

All around them, the bandits brandished their weapons. Some wielded maces, while the rest wielded simple crossbows.

“Now before I REPEAT myself (again), I suggest you drop all your belongings right now! Or we’ll GUT it out of yer hides…”

Map (Round 1):
    AmbushMapRound1_zpse02753a1.jpg

Initiative:
    Smith 19
    Bandits 19 average
    Matthew 13
    Dhyrn 11
    Human Bandit Mooks 13 average
    Bandit Leader 11
    Nemo 10
    Gareth 9
    Arifyn 5

Here's how it goes: Allies/enemies take turns out of order in a group/block.

Stats:
    (L8) Arifyn HP 22/22
    (P13) Dhyrn HP 25/25
    (Q14) Gareth HP 22/22
    (M8) Matthew HP 23/23
    (M8) Nemo HP 33/33
    (M8) Smith HP 31/31

(B2, B7, C1, C8, D8, K8, L8, L9) Bandit Mook HP 1/1
    (C2) Bandit #1 HP 37/37
    (C7) Bandit #2 HP 37/37
    (G3) Bandit #3 (Jasper) HP 37/37
    Terrified (Cannot attack for 1 round)
    Prone [Grants Combat Advantage/Melee attacks to it; -2 attack rolls/range attack to it; -2 to attack rolls]
    (J8) Bandit #4 HP 37/37
    (C5) Bandit Leader HP 47/47

Monster Details:
    HumanBanditArcher_zpseb9f2054.png Bandit Mook (Minion): HP 1/1 AC 16; Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 11, Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    Special:
    Mob Mentality:
    A bandit mook gains a +2 bonus to all defenses while at least two other allies are adjacent to it.

BanditLeader_zpsb0d94cff.png Bandit: HP 37/37 AC 16; Fort 12, Reflex 14, Will 12, Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    Special:
    Combat Advantage:
    The bandit deals 1d6 extra damage to any target granting combat advantage to it.

HumanBandit_zpsb57de0b1.png Bandit Leader: HP 47/47 AC 18; Fort 16, Reflex 15, Will 14, Speed 5; Vision: Normal Vision

I posted the coordinates of everyone as well, making it easier to plan your attacks (Letter, then number).
    Another way to make it easier is to post what monster you hit e.g. Melee Basic attack on Grunt(F5)

Features:
    Illumination: Middle of the day (bright light).

Rocks, debris and hilly terrain: The triangle square counts as difficult terrain.

Tree: The trees (large greensih circles) are 10ft. in height. Standing behind a tree (when a target is on the opposite side) offers Cover. Climbing a tree is a DC 13 Athletics or Acrobatics and grants you Superior cover against melee attacks, but grants combat advantage to enemy range attacks. The tree icon represents cover.

Up Next: Smith On Deck: Jasper and the Banditos!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Without uttering a word Smith knocks Jasper across the head with pommel of his sword. Before the bandit can react the Warforged proceeds to press the blade of his sword against Jasper's wrist, branding him with an arcane runs that freezes over his entire hand.

He then swings around briefly, pointing his blade at the nearest group of bandits behind the group.
    Standard Action: Frigid Blade vs. Bandit #3 (Jasper) (G3)
    Attack roll: 1d20+7+ 2= 13 +7 + 2 = 22 vs AC

Damage:1d10 + 4 = 9
    Effect: If target starts its next turn adjacent to me, they are slowed by 3.[/ur]

Minor Action, Mark: Aegis of Shielding on Bandit #4 (J8)

Up Next: Bandits On Deck: Matthew

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bandit Banzai! Round 1.25

The icy brand burns Jasper's hand, causing him to yelp in pain. "Just... just what ARE you?! I...I need to get out of here!" He cries out, stands up, and tries fleeing AWAY from the mechanical abomination in front of him. He soon felt a lot more lethargic for some reason, as he just couldn't find the energy to run away. This left his back exposed for a perfect strike...

One bandit jumps out of the bushes, and rushes towards Arifyn. The man brought his mace down on the unwary Warlock, as the mace hits Arifyn straight on the right side of his ribs. Feeling a surge of victory (as well as avoiding a potential counter-attack), the man jumps a few feet away from the Changeling.

Meanwhile, another bandit rushes out of the woods, skipping across the debris and landing on top of the broken wagon. He brandishes his weapon at Gareth, trying to bait him out. Another bandit rushes out and flanks the Warlord from behind. He would have had clobbered the burly Gareth on the head had Nemo not spotted the man rushing towards Gareth and issuing a warning.

Thanks to the timely caution, the Warlord was able to dodge the blow to his head.

Enemy Moves:
    Bandit #1:
    Move Action: Move to F3
    Standard Action: Mace Against Arifyn

Mace (At-Will; Standard Action; Melee)

Attack: +6 vs AC
    Hit: 1d8+3 damage, and the bandit shifts one square.
    Attack Roll: 15 vs AC HIT!
    Damage Roll: 8 damage, and Bandit #1 shifts to E3.

Bandit #2:
    Move Action: Move to F6
    Move Action: Shift to G5

Bandit #3:
    Move Action: Stand up
    Move Action: Move to D4
    Bandit #3 provokes an Attack of Opportunity from Smith, Gareth and Arifyn

Bandit #4:
    Move Action: Move to I5 (Via J7-J6-I5)
    WARNING! GARETH IS FLANKED! GARETH GRANTS COMBAT ADVANTAGE!
    Standard Action: Dazing Strike Against Gareth

Dazing Strike (Standard Action; Melee; Recharge 4-6)

Attack: +6 vs AC (+8 due to CA)
    Hit: 1d8+3 damage, the target is dazed until the end of the bandit’s next turn, and he bandit shifts one square.
    Attack Roll: 12 vs AC MISS!

Map (Round 1.25):
    AmbushMapRound125_zpsd2a49322.jpg

Initiative:
    Smith 19
    Bandits 19 average
    Matthew 13
    Dhyrn 11
    Bandit Leader 11
    Nemo 10
    Gareth 9
    Arifyn 5

Stats:
    (L8) Arifyn HP 14/22
    (P13) Dhyrn HP 25/25
    (Q14) Gareth HP 22/22
    Flanked [Grants combat advantage]
    (M8) Matthew HP 23/23
    (M8) Nemo HP 33/33
    (M8) Smith HP 31/31

(B2, B7, C1, C8, D8, K8, L8, L9) Bandit Mook HP 1/1
    (E3) Bandit #1 HP 37/37
    (G5) Bandit #2 HP 37/37
    (D4) Bandit #3 (Jasper) HP 28/37
    Speed reduced by 3 (Until end of its next turn)
    Provokes an AoO from Smith, Gareth and Arifyn
    (I5) Bandit #4 HP 37/37
    Marked [Aegis of Shielding]
    (C5) Bandit Leader HP 47/47

Monster Details:
    HumanBanditArcher_zpseb9f2054.png Bandit Mook (Minion): HP 1/1 AC 16; Fort 13, Reflex 14, Will 11, Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    Special:
    Mob Mentality:
    A bandit mook gains a +2 bonus to all defenses while at least two other allies are adjacent to it.

BanditLeader_zpsb0d94cff.png Bandit: HP 37/37 AC 16; Fort 12, Reflex 14, Will 12, Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    Special:
    Combat Advantage:
    The bandit deals 1d6 extra damage to any target granting combat advantage to it.

HumanBandit_zpsb57de0b1.png Bandit Leader: HP 47/47 AC 18; Fort 16, Reflex 15, Will 14, Speed 5; Vision: Normal Vision

I posted the coordinates of everyone as well, making it easier to plan your attacks (Letter, then number).
    Another way to make it easier is to post what monster you hit e.g. Melee Basic attack on Grunt(F5)

Features:

Rocks, debris and hilly terrain: The triangle square counts as difficult terrain.

Tree: The trees (large greenish circles) are 10ft. in height. Standing behind a tree (when a target is on the opposite side) offers Cover. Climbing a tree is a DC 13 Athletics or Acrobatics and grants you Superior cover against melee attacks, but grants combat advantage to enemy range attacks. The tree icon represents cover.

Up Next: Matthew and Dhyrn (as well an AoO from Smith, Arifyn and Gareth) On Deck: Bandits everywhere!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dhyrn saw Gareth in a bad spot and stepped in, holding his dagger firmly and thrusting into the bandit's back. The blade found flesh, and the gnoll twisted the dagger before pulling it out.
    Minor Action: None

Move Action: Move to (J,5)

Standard Action: Dazing Strike against Bandit 4(I,5)
    Attack Roll: 1d20 + 9 + 2 (CA) = 13 + 11 = 24 (hit)
    Hit: 1d4 + 4, Sneak Attack 2d6 + 3, Pack Attack (Nemo, Gareth, Smith) 2, = 2 + 4, 7 + 3, 2, = 6 + 10 + 2 = 18
    Effect: Target is Dazed until the end of my next turn.

Forgot to put Pack Attack bonus in the roll.

Up Next: Bandit Mooks, Bandit Leader: On Deck: Nemo, Gareth, and Arifyn

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Hearing the deceiving bandit from behind him scuttle away, Smith turns and with a mechanical flourish slices cleanly down the cowardly Jasper's back.

"You ask me what I am," Smith replies softly, entering a relaxed yet ready stance with sword still drawn and free hand clasp behind his back. "I'm not entirely sure..."

A hint of genuine curiosity mixed with what he could only assume were anger and intimidation formed around those last words.
    Opportunity Action: Melee Basic Attack vs. Bandit #3 (Jasper) (D,4)
    Attack Roll:1d20 + 7 = 13 + 7 = 20

Damage Roll:1d10 + 4 = 10 + 4 = 14

Up Next: Matthew (also AoO from Gareth and Arifyn) On Deck: Bandits!

Gatsby on
  • Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    "I tried to warn you Jasper! I've got your back Arifyn!" With a quick word under his breath, Matthew moved behind the Judicar.
    Move Action: I3

Standard Action: Icy Terrain, center K8

Attack Roll Icy Terrain - Mook 1: 1d20+5 19

Attack Roll Icy Terrain - Mook 2: 1d20+5 25

Attack Roll Icy Terrain - Mook 3: 1d20+5 21

Since they only have 1HP, I didn't bother rolling damage.

Up Next: AoO from Gareth and Arifyn On Deck: Bandits!

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Still fuming in embarrassment, Gareth channels his rage into something a little more constructive.

And by constructive, he means beating someone with his throwing hammer.
    Opportunity Action: Melee basic attack vs Bandit #3 (Jasper) (D,4)
    Attack roll:1d20+6=12

Unfortunately, Gareth's blinded by rage, and his swing glances off Jasper's shoulder with no real effect.

Up next: AoO from ArifynOn Deck: Bandits!

NerfThatMan on
  • Options
    Arifyn cursed softly. He had been so focused on trying to force the bandit in retreating that he lost all sight of the tactical movements. He paid for, the aches from the blow stung. Determined to pay better attention, he muttered the words and fired a blast from his wand at the retreating old man. It missed horribly.
    Opportunity Action: Ranged Basic Attack (Eldritch Blast) vs Bandit #3 (Jasper) (D,4)
    Attack roll:1d20+4=10
    Sorry, I was swamped with work yesterday.

Up next: BanditsOn Deck: Matthew

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bandit Banzai! Round 1.5

The bandits loaded and cocked their crossbows, releasing a barrage of bolts from out of the forest. Though Arifyn was able to dodge one bolt, another managed to pierce and lodge into his right shoulder. Gareth, on the other hand, was not so lucky, as all three bolts found their mark on the poor warlord, each bolt of pain accompanied by another in quick procession. Feeling emboldened by their assault, the bandits make their way closer to the heroes.

Angered by Jasper's cowardice, the bandit leader rushed forth towards the Warforged, pushing Jasper out of the way. With a quick sweep of his longspear, the man tripped Smith by it's knees, causing the swordmage to buckle under his own weight, and falling onto the ground.

"You see that, Jasper?! THAT'S how you beat men in fancy suits: by knocking em over, THEN kicking em while they're down! Not the other way around!" the man bellowed, mistaking Smith for a man equipped in fancy armor.

Enemy Moves:
    Bandit Mook @B2:
    Minor Action: Load Crossbow
    Standard Action: Crossbow against Arifyn

Mace (At-Will; Standard Action; Ranged 15/30)

Attack: +9 vs AC
    Hit: 3 damage.
    Attack Roll: 14 vs AC MISS!
    Move Action: Move to C3

Bandit Mook @C1:

Attack Roll: 16 vs AC HIT!
    Damage Roll: 3 damage.
    Move Action: Move to E2

Bandit Mook @B7:
    Standard Action: Crossbow against Gareth

Attack Roll: 27 vs AC HIT!
    Move Action: Move to D5

Bandit Mook @C8:

Attack Roll: 17 vs AC HIT!
    Move Action: Move to E6

Bandit Mook @D8:

Move Action: Move to F6

Bandit Leader:
    Move Action: Move to F4
    Standard Action: Sweeping Strike Against Smith

Sweeping Strike (Standard Action; Reach 2; Recharge 5-6)

Attack: +10 vs AC
    Hit: 1d10+7 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
    Attack Roll: 26 vs AC HIT!
    Damage Roll: 13 damage, and Smith is knocked prone!

Map (Round 1.5):
    AmbushMapRound150_zps2a7253c2.jpg

Initiative:
    Smith 19
    Bandits 19 average
    Matthew 13
    Dhyrn 11
    Bandit Leader 11
    Nemo 10
    Gareth 9
    Arifyn 5

Stats:
    (G3) Arifyn HP 11/22
    (J5) Dhyrn HP 25/25
    (H5) Gareth HP 13/22
    (I3) Matthew HP 23/23
    (I4) Nemo HP 33/33
    (H4) Smith HP 18/31
    Prone [Grants Combat Advantage/Melee attacks to it; -2 attack rolls/range attack to it; -2 to attack rolls]
    (C3, E2, D5, E6, F6) Bandit Mook HP 1/1
    (E3) Bandit #1 HP 37/37
    (G5) Bandit #2 HP 37/37
    (D4) Bandit #3 (Jasper) HP 14/37 Bloodied!
    Speed reduced by 3 (Until end of its next turn)
    (I5) Bandit #4 HP 18/37 Bloodied!
    Flanked [Grants combat advantage]
    Dazed (Until end of Dhyrn's next turn)
    (F4) Bandit Leader HP 47/47

Monster Details:
    Special:
    Mob Mentality:

Special:
    Combat Advantage:

Features:

Tree: The trees (large greenish circles) are 10ft. in height. Standing behind a tree (when a target is on the opposite side) offers Cover. Climbing a tree is a DC 13 Athletics or Acrobatics and grants you Superior cover against melee attacks, but grants combat advantage to enemy range attacks. The tree icon represents cover.

Up Next: Arifyn, Gareth and Nemo On Deck: Smith (and Round 2!)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Grimacing in pain from the crossbow bolts lodged in his shoulder, Gareth swings his hammer down on one of the bandits as hard as he can, knocking the bandit back, while shouting out the injured Arifyn,

"Move yer ass or start swinging, less you want to resemble yer grannie's pincushion!"
    Opening Shove on Bandit #2 (G,5), vs. Reflex: 1d20+7=19
    Damage roll: 1d6+4=9

Push Bandit #2 from (G,5) to (G,4)
    Arifyn may move 2 spaces or make a basic melee attack against Bandit #2 with a +1 to the roll from my Lend Might

Up next: Arifyn and Nemo. On Deck: Smith (and Round 2)

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    "I'll teach these bandits that ignoring the little guy is never a good idea!"

Nemo weaves his way between his allies legs, moving up to engage the Bandit Leader. He points to the Bandit Leader, "You... you I shall deal with personally." He raises his sword to strike as he cries out, "Face me you bandit scum!"
    Move Action: Move to H3 then G4, provoking an OA from Bandit #4 (Don't forget my Hafling +2 AC against AOA).
    Minor Action: Divine Challenge against Bandit Leader.
    Standard Action: Valorous Smite against Bandit Leader.
    Valorous Smite against Bandit Leader: 1d20+7 8 (Critical Miss! That certainly bodes well for me this combat)

Conditional Orders: Use Second Chance Immediate Interrupt Encounter Power the first time you manage to hit me (Reroll the attack, must use the second roll).
    Use Shield of Devotion Immediate Reaction Encounter Power the next time either Gareth or Arifyn (as long as they're still in Close Burst 5) take damage from an enemy in melee range with them and myself (So like, Bandit Leader, Bandit #2 or whoever moves into square F3). The ally regains 4 HP and until the end of my next turn I gain a +2 power bonus to my next attack roll against the attacking enemy.

Up Next: @TiamatZ (AOA from Bandit #4) and Arifyn. On Deck: Smith (and Round 2).

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options

Arifyn drew his power inward as he watched Smith fall. Turning to the leader of the bandits, his eyes suddenly burst with dark fire. "You shall regret that you failed to heed my warning. It was for your sake I issued it. Now, I shall curse you to live in fire and pain! Uguns un nāve!!"

Rivers of silvery fire flowed from the leader's eyes, mouth, ears and nail-beds as the horrific pain consumed him.

"Let that be lesson to all who stand against THE KING'S JUSTICE!"
    Minor Action: Warlock's Curse against Bandit Leader.
    Standard Action: Witchfire against Bandit Leader.
    1d20+4=24 HOLY SHIT CRITICAL HIT! WOOO! So, he takes 2d6+4 Fire damage and +1d8 Warlock's Curse damage as well. Total of 24 damage. He also now suffers -5 penalty to attacks until my next turn.

Up Next: Smith (and Round 2). On Deck: Bandits.

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Struggling to his feet, Smith's green eyes intensify from a dull glow to a brightly burning gaze. He glares at the leader of the highway robbers, over the top of Nemo, before sweeping his sword to his right in a tight yet powerful arc. Over the heads of the two bandits cornering Gareth, hovering sigils appear for a brief moment before the Warforged lunges forward, clashing swords with the ruffians as arcane runes on his blade add more force to his blows.
    Move Action: Stand up
    Minor Action: Mark Bandit Leader (F,4) with Aegis of Shielding
    Standard Action: Sword of Sigils vs. Bandits #2(G,5) and #4(I,5)

Attack Roll (Bandit #2):1d20 + 7 vs. AC = 17 (Hit!)

Attack Roll (Bandit #4):1d20 + 7 vs. AC = 22 (Hit!)

Damage Roll:
    1d10 + 4 = 9 (force damage)
    Effect: Targets are marked. If the targets make an attack against any other creature that does not include me, they take 4 force damage after the attack is resolved.

Up Next: Bandits! On Deck: Dhyrn and Matthew

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bandit Banzai! Round 2.25

As the silver fires consume his face, the burly man grimaces a grunt, before swinging the haft of the spear into Arifyn's side with force. Bones could be heard cracking. "Take THAT and shove it inta yer King's Justice!" The man bellowed, though his victory was short lived, as a burning light burned him from above, seemingly punishing him for such an action. Nemo managed to offer a quick prayer to Avandra, hoping the Lady of Luck will look over Arifyn in the next few moments. Meanwhile, he focused his ire towards the leader of the bandits...

As the bandit knocked by Gareth falls back, he tries swinging his mace at the minute paladin. Sadly, the quick and agile Nemo proved too fast for his attack, missing him by a few feet.

Emboldened by their leader's assault on the Kingsman, Jasper and one other move closer towards the Warlock. Two of the bandits try lunging at Arifyn, with only one punished aggressively with a knock of force aimed at his head by one of the floating runes Smith managed to scribe out of thin air. Jasper ironically, lands the deathblow on the once menacingly warlock, as his mace managed to knock Arifyn on the head, causing him to buck and fall to the ground from the force of such a blow.

"Good work, Jasper! You MIGHT be less useless after all..."
    the large bandit leader grunts, his face still indicating that he was still in pain. His face grew astonished though, when he saw the Warlock standing up from that blow.

"Grrr! Godsdamn you all! Just stay down!"

The bandit behind Gareth wasn't impressed at the Gnoll's handiwork. He turns around, and (surprisingly) managed to hit the Gnoll square in the jaw with his mace! Still dizzied from the loss of blood, the bandit shuffles closer toward the wizard...

Enemy Moves:
    Opportunity Attacks:
    Bandit #2 Attack Of Opportunity:
    Standard Action: Mace Against Nemo

Attack Roll: 19 vs AC MISS!

Bandit Leader Attack of Opportunity:
    Standard Action: Longspear against Arifyn

Longspear (At-Will; Standard Action; Reach 2)

Attack: +10 vs AC (+8 due to Divine Guidance/mark)
    Hit: 1d10+3 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the bandit leader's next turn.
    Damage Roll: 5 damage, and Arifyn is marked until the end of Bandit Leader's next turn.
    Bandit Leader takes 7 radiant damage from Nemo's Divine Guidance!
    Immediate Reaction: Nemo's Shield of Devotion kicks in!
    Arifyn gains +4 temp HP, and Nemo gains a +2 bonus to his next attack roll against Bandit Leader!

Normal Attacks:
    Bandit #1:
    Move Action: Shift to F3
    Standard Action: Mace against Arifyn

Attack Roll: 9 vs AC MISS!

Bandit #2:
    Standard Action: Mace against Arifyn

Attack: +6 vs AC (+4 due to Sword of Sigils)
    Attack Roll: 9 vs AC MISS!
    Bandit #2 takes 4 force damage!

Bandit #3:
    Minor Action: Unsheathe Mace
    Move Action: Move to F2
    Standard Action: Dazing Strike against Arifyn

Hit: 1d8+3 damage, the target is dazed until the end of the bandit’s next turn, and he bandit shifts one square.
    Attack Roll: 24 vs AC HIT!
    Damage Roll: 7 damage.

Bandit #4:
    Recharge Dazing Strike: 1 Failed!
    Standard Action: Mace Against Dhyrn

Attack:+6 vs AC (+4 due to Sword of Sigils)
    Attack Roll: 12 vs AC HIT!
    Damage Roll: 5 damage and Bandit #4 shifts to I4!.
    Smith reduces the damage by 3 due to his Aegis!
    Bandit #2 takes 4 force damage!

Map (Round 2.25):
    AmbushMapRound225_zpsf4c2c107.jpg

Initiative:
    Smith 19
    Bandits 19 average
    Matthew 13
    Dhyrn 11
    Bandit Leader 11
    Nemo 10
    Gareth 9
    Arifyn 5

Stats:
    (G3) Arifyn HP 3/22 Bloodied!
    (J5) Dhyrn HP 22/25
    (H5) Gareth HP 13/22
    (I3) Matthew HP 23/23
    (G5) Nemo HP 33/33
    Shield of Devotion [+2 to next attack roll against Bandit Leader]
    (H4) Smith HP 18/31
    (C3, E2, D5, E6, F6) Bandit Mook HP 1/1
    (F3) Bandit #1 HP 37/37
    (G4) Bandit #2 HP 15/37 Bloodied!
    Marked [Sword of Sigils: Target takes 4 force damage after making an attack that doesn't include Smith]
    (I4) Bandit #4 HP 5/37 Bloodied!
    Marked [Sword of Sigils: Target takes 4 force damage after making an attack that doesn't include Smith]
    Dazed (Until end of Dhyrn's next turn)
    (F4) Bandit Leader HP 16/47 Bloodied!
    Warlock's Curse [Aegis of Shielding]
    -5 to all attack rolls [Until end of Arifyn's next turn]

Monster Details:
    Special:
    Mob Mentality:

Special:
    Combat Advantage:

Features:

Up Next: Matthew and Dhyrn On Deck: Dem Bandits!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    "This isn't looking good guys..." Matthew's brow tightens as he exerts his will across the battlefield.
    Standard action: Sleep, center on D4

Sleep - Mook F6: 1d20+5 11 HIT!
    Sleep - Mook E6: 1d20+5 15 HIT!
    Sleep - Mook D5: 1d20+5 16 HIT!
    Sleep - Mook C3: 1d20+5 6 MISS
    Sleep - Mook E2: 1d20+5 23 HIT!
    Sleep - Bandit F2: 1d20+5 18 HIT!
    Sleep - Bandit F3: 1d20+5 19 HIT!
    Sleep - Bandit Leader: 1d20+5 17 HIT!

Free Action: Orb of Imposition (-2 to saving throw) on Bandit Leader
    Waiting on Dhyrn's attack for movement

Up next: Dhyrn On Deck: Mooks

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dhyrn tasted his own blood as the bandit's mace clubbed him across his face. He growled as the bandit shuffled a bit and seemed to be recovering from the painful blow dealt earlier. The gnoll was not going to let that happen, though. He reached to his back and drew a squat, solid, sharp short sword. Using his height to his advantage, Dhyrn stabbed the blade downward from above and drove it nearly vertical through the bandit's collarbone. He spit and laughed at the corpse as it fell and pooled blood.

"Watch it!" Dhyrn cautioned as he loped by Whitmarsh and came up beside Arifyn. He saw that the man was rather worse for wear. Dhyrn assumed a menacing stance against the bandits and told his ailing companion, "Beat it, I'm here now."

Then, the gnoll turned to Jasper, flicked some of the blood off of his weapons and greeted the bandit with a laugh, "Hello liar!"
    Minor Action: Draw Short Sword

Standard Action: Piercing Strike against Bandit #4, using Short Sword
    Attack Roll: 1d20 + 8 + 2 (CA) = 16 *HIT*
    Damage Roll: 1d6 + 4 + 2 (Pack Attack) + 1 (Expertise) + 2d6 + 3 = 22 *OVERKILL*

Move Action: Move to G2 (speed 7)

Other: Ready Battle Awareness feat (Once per encounter, when an adjacent enemy shifts or makes an attack that does not include Dhyrn as a target, make a MBA as an immediate interrupt)

Up Next: Mooks, Bandit Leader, On Deck: Gareth, Nemo, and Arifyn

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Move Action: Move to K1

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Bandit Banzai! Round 2.5

The bandits carried on with their assault. One dropped his crossbow, only to replace it with a flimsy mace. It tries striking Nemo from behind, but the pesky Halfling proved to hard to pin down.

The rest merely reload their crossbows, and let loose another volley. One struck Dhyrn just above the knee, while one sped towards Arifyn. The warlock crossed his hands across his face, but the bolt merely bounced off the warlock?

Arifyn lowered his arms, only to see the Warforged standing right in front him! Arifyn took the wisest course and decide to move behind the metallic Swordmage.

"Grrr! What is this?! You want a piece of me, Armored man?!" The bandit leader spits. "You want a piece of this? Then let me oblige you!" the man threatened, as he raised his spear to the side.

But Smith was ready for him this time...

As he swept the spear downwards, Smith jumped at the opportune time, causing the weapon to pass below unhindered.

The man glared at the Warforged. "No fancy armor will save you forever, you hear?! You gotta tire someday..."

Meanwhile, Matthew's spell seemed to have fizzled, as none of the bandits so far seem to feel lethargic at all...

Enemy Moves:
    Bandit Mook @C3:

Crossbow (At-Will; Standard Action; Ranged 15/30)

IMMEDIATE INTERRUPT (Smith uses Guardian's Resolve!)
    Damage Roll: Smith takes 3 damage, and Arifyn and Smith switch places!!!
    Attack Roll: 17 vs AC MISS!
    Move Action: Move to C5

Bandit Mook @D5:
    Standard Action: Crossbow against Nemo

Attack Roll: 22 vs AC HIT!
    Saving Throw vs Sleep: 19 Success!
    Mook @D5 is no longer slowed

Bandit Mook @E2:
    Standard Action: Crossbow against Dhyrn

Saving Throw vs Sleep: 20 Success!
    Mook @E2 is no longer slowed

Bandit Mook @E6:

Attack Roll: 18 vs AC MISS!
    Saving Throw vs Sleep: 17 Success!
    Mook @E6 is no longer slowed

Bandit Mook @F6:
    Free Action: Drop Crossbow
    Standard Action: Mace against Nemo

Attack: +7 vs AC
    Hit: 2 damage.
    Attack Roll: 18 vs AC MISS!
    Saving Throw vs Sleep: 14 Success!
    Mook @F6 is no longer slowed

Bandit Leader:
    Recharge Sweeping Strike (d5-6: success): 5 Success!
    Standard Action: Sweeping Strike Against Smith

Sweeping Strike (Standard Action; Reach 2; Recharge 5-6)

Attack: +10 vs AC (+5 due to Witchfire)
    Hit: 1d10+7 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
    Attack Roll: 11 vs AC MISS!
    Saving Throw vs Sleep: 12 Success!
    Bandit Leader is no longer slowed

Map (Round 2.5):
    AmbushMapRound25_zps584adb52.jpg

Note: Smith and Arifyn switched places due to Guardian's Resolve!

Initiative:
    Smith 19
    Bandits 19 average
    Matthew 13
    Dhyrn 11
    Bandit Leader 11
    Nemo 10
    Gareth 9
    Arifyn 5

Stats:
    (H4) Arifyn HP 3/22 Bloodied!
    (G2) Dhyrn HP 20/25
    (H5) Gareth HP 13/22
    (K1) Matthew HP 23/23
    (G5) Nemo HP 30/33
    (G3) Smith HP 18/31
    (C5,D5,E2,E6,F6) Bandit Mook HP 1/1
    (F3) Bandit #1 HP 37/37
    Slowed [save ends]
    (G4) Bandit #2 HP 15/37 Bloodied!
    Slowed [save ends]
    (F4) Bandit Leader HP 16/47 Bloodied!
    Warlock's Curse
    -5 to all attack rolls [Until end of Arifyn's next turn]

Monster Details:
    Special:
    Mob Mentality:

Special:
    Combat Advantage:

Features:

Up Next: Arifyn, Gareth and Nemo On Deck: Smith (and Round 3!)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    As the Bandit Leader raises his spear, Smith sees one mook take aim at Arifyn. Not even giving it a second thought he lives forward, grabs the Warlock by the collar, shoving him backwards and behind the Warforged as the crossbow bolt connects, barely missing the metal plating of his chest.
    Immediate Interrupt: Guardian's Counter

Effect: Arifyn and I shift one square each and swap places, and I become the target of the crossbow fire.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    "Heh, barely a scratch!"

Nemo whispers a prayer over his sword, "Avandra, guide my blade," as he lifts it to strike the Bandit Mook.

Felling his target, Nemo moves further into the fray to provoke the group of bandits, unafraid of their attacks. "I think that's enough with the crossbows today, gentlemen. Now... now you face me!" Nemo raises his sword to point it at one of the other Bandit Mooks. "You... you're next!"
    Standard Action: Ardent Strike against Bandit Mook at F6: 1d20+7 23
    Ardent Strike Damage: 1d6+4 7
    Movement: F5 - Provokes AoO by Bandit Leader & Bandit #2
    Minor Action: Divine Challenge on Bandit Mook at E6

Up Next: @TiamatZ AoO from Bandit Leader and Bandit #2, Arifyn and Gareth - On Deck: Smith

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The two nearby bandits try to swing their weapons at the lively Halfling, but Avandra seemed to be watching over Nemo, as none of them seemed to connect, missing by mere inches.

One of the bandits was punished for such a transgression, as the floating sigils above him released a blast of force at the bandit's temple...

Enemy Moves:
    Opportunity Attacks:
    Bandit #2 Attack Of Opportunity:
    Standard Action: Mace Against Nemo

Attack: +6 vs AC (+4 due to mark)
    Attack Roll: 22 vs AC MISS!
    Bandit#2 takes 4 force damage due to Sword of Sigils!

Bandit Leader Attack of Opportunity:
    Standard Action: Longspear against Arifyn

Longspear (At-Will; Standard Action; Reach 2)

Attack: +10 vs AC (+3 due to Witchfire and Aegis of Shielding)
    Hit: 1d10+3 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the bandit leader's next turn.
    Attack Roll: 21 vs AC MISS!

Up Next:Arifyn and Gareth - On Deck: Smith

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Pain and red flooded into Arifyn's vision. He had been too bold, too excited by this quest. It had distracted him, clouded his judgement. Arifyn, old chum. If you get out of this alive we have learned a valuable lesson here. Bahamut is teaching us. He moved with renewed vigor, ducking away from the closest bandit while flicking his wand at the bandit leader that plagued him. The spell was too hasty and blasted the ground near him. Gritting his teeth, Arifyn renewed his focus. Drawing into everything the King's Justice, he recanted the spell and flicked it again. Once again, he was off.

Very valuable lesson.

Movement: Shift to I4
    Standard Action (Edlritch Blast):1d20+4=13 at Bandit Leader
    Free Action: Bloodied Determination
    Standard Action (Edlritch Blast): 1d20+4=11 at Bandit Leader

Up Next: Gareth - On Deck: Smith

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    Perhaps forgetting his surroundings, Gareth begins to shout out orders in mangled Dwarven, often resorting to Common.

"Shields up boys! Stand yer ground! Pound 'em down!"

Shifting into the space left by the warlock, Gareth draws and swings his warhammer down on one of the bandits in one smooth motion, cracking the brigand square across the jaw.
    Move Action: Shift into (H,4)
    Minor Action: Draw Warhammer

Standard Action: Myrmidon Formation Encounter Power
    Attack Roll: 1d20+5=17
    Damage Roll:2d10+5=8
    At the start of Gareth's next turn, every ally adjacent to him gains 5 temporary hit points.

"Come on, you sons of whores! Do ye want to live forever?!"

Gareth's dubious encouragement seems to restore vigor to the nearest members of the group...

Up Next: Smith On Deck: Bandits!

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Smith deftly sweeps in to face the Bandits once more. Gripping his sword with vicious intensity he assumes a poised position before delivering two quick slashes in the air.Neither connects with any of his foes, but a concussive wave for each swing lashes out and knocks two of the bandits square in the chest.

Over the sound of groans and ribs cracking, Smith looks the Bandit Leader dead in the eyes, his glowing green orbs now nearly pulsating with a mix of determination and ferocity.

"I am no man," he mutters in his deep baritone voice. "And I will not tire."
    Minor Action: Warforged Resolve - Gain 3 temporary HP
    Standard Action: Sword Burst vs. Bandit #2, #3, and Leader
    Action Point! - Standard Action 2: Sword Burst vs. Bandit #2, #3, and Leader

Attack Rolls (Bandit #2):
    1d20 + 7 vs. Reflex = 11
    1d20 + 7 vs. Reflex = 13

Attack Roll (Bandit Leader):
    1d20 + 7 vs. Reflex = 25
    1d20 + 7 vs. Reflex = 24

Attack Roll (Bandit #3):
    1d20 + 7 vs. Reflex = 19
    1d20 + 7 vs. Reflex = 12

Attack Roll (Bandit #1):
    1d20 + 7 vs. Reflex = 25
    1d20 + 7 vs. Reflex = 11

Damage 1: 1d6 + 4 = 7 force damage
    Damage 2: 1d6 + 4 = 5 force damage

Up Next: Bandits (@TiamatZ) On Deck: Matthew and Dhyrn

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bandit Banzai! Round 3.25

The bandits continue their assault on the heroes. One managed to strike the Gnoll on his temple, causing Dhyrn to go into a lapse of dizziness.

His victory over the Gnoll was momentary, as the bandit soon fell into a lapse of his own. Except the bandit mysteriously falls to the ground, snoring in his deep slumber.

Matthew's spell affected Jasper as well, although the bandit didn't know it yet. Jasper thought it was the pressure of being surrounded by a soulless machine man and a murderous Gnoll that caused him to faint and pass out...

Enemy Moves:
    Bandit #1:
    Standard Action: Dazing Strike against Dhyrn

Hit: 1d8+3 damage, the target is dazed until the end of the bandit’s next turn, and the bandit shifts one square.
    Attack Roll: 18 vs AC HIT!
    Damage Roll: 8 damage, and Dhyrn is dazed!
    Saving Throw vs Sleep: 5 FAILED!
    Bandit #1 is now unconscious (save ends)

Bandit #2:
    Standard Action: Dazing Strike against Gareth

Hit: 1d8+3 damage, the target is dazed until the end of the bandit’s next turn, and the bandit shifts one square.
    Attack Roll: 8 vs AC MISS!

Bandit #3:
    Recharge Dazing Strike: 5 Success!
    Standard Action: Dazing Strike against Smith

Attack Roll: 17 vs AC MISS!
    Saving Throw vs Sleep: 5 FAILED!
    Bandit #3 is now unconscious (save ends)

Map (Round 3.25):
    AmbushMapRound325_zps46eb5b04.jpg

Initiative:
    Smith 19
    Bandits 19 average
    Matthew 13
    Dhyrn 11
    Bandit Leader 11
    Nemo 10
    Gareth 9
    Arifyn 5

Stats:
    (I4) Arifyn HP 3/22 Bloodied!
    (G2) Dhyrn HP 12/25 Bloodied!
    Blood Fury [+2 damage while bloodied]
    Dazed [until end of Bandit #1's turn]
    (H4) Gareth HP 13/22
    Myrmidon Formation [at the start of Gareth's next turn, each ally adjacent to Gareth gains +5 Temp HP]
    (K1) Matthew HP 23/23
    (F5) Nemo HP 30/33
    (G3) Smith HP 18/31 +3 Temp HP
    (C5,D5,E2,E6) Bandit Mook HP 1/1
    E6: Divine Challenge
    (F2) Bandit #1 HP 30/37
    Unconscious [-5 to all defenses; grant CA, prone, can't take actions; can't flank; target of a coup de grace; save ends]
    (G4) Bandit #2 HP 4/37 Bloodied!
    (F3) Bandit #3 (Jasper) HP 7/37 Bloodied!
    Unconscious [-5 to all defenses; grant CA, prone, can't take actions; can't flank; target of a coup de grace; save ends]
    (F4) Bandit Leader HP 4/47 Bloodied!
    Warlock's Curse

Monster Details:
    Special:
    Mob Mentality:

Special:
    Combat Advantage:

Features:

Up Next: Matthew and Dhyrn On Deck: Things are getting desperate for the Desperadoes!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Dhyrn's left eye blacked out and he swore with a bit of spit and a lot of fury. As his assailant slumped into unconsciousness before him, the gnoll let out a simple 'Ha!' and lived up to his murderous reputation. Dhyrn had his revenge with a clean thrust of his short sword through the bandit's neck.
    Standard Action: Coup de Grace with Short Sword Piercing Strike on Bandit #1 (Instant crit on hit, instant death if equal to or greater than the target's bloodied value 19)
    Attack Roll: 1d20 + 8 + 2 (CA) = 19 vs 9 Reflex *HIT*
    Damage: 6 Weapon + 4 Dex + 12 Sneak Attack + 3 Str + 1 Expertise + 2 Blood Fury = 28 damage *DEATH*

DAZED and can't do anything else, unfortunately.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Matthew looks ill as the bandit falls. Under his breath, he whispers "I wish it didn't have to be like this." He whispers one more word of magic and the bandit's leader erupted into a bloodied mess.
    Standard action: Cloud of Daggers F4 (Bandit Leader).
    Cloud of Daggers - Bandit Leader: 1d20+5 17 Hit!
    Cloud of daggers damage: 1d6+4 10

Up next: Bandits!On Deck: Nemo, Gareth, Arifyn and Smith

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bandit Banzai! Round 3.5

Distraught at both their leader's sudden evisceration AND the sudden execution of their former comrade, the bandits try one final barrage of bolts before deciding to flee the battle, believing that living for another day was the better idea. One bolt managed to hit the Halfling, passing through a chink within his armor. Even dizzied, Dhyrn managed to dodge the incoming bolt without resistance, causing the bolt to fly harmlessly and impact a tree behind the Gnoll...

One remaining bandit had the foolish idea of avenging his former boss, brandishing a mace of his own. He tries to hit Nemo, but the mace merely bounces off the armor effortlessly...

Enemy Moves:
    Bandit Mook @C5:

Attack Roll: 16 vs AC MISS!
    Move Action: Move to A6

Bandit Mook @D5:

Move Action: Move to A5

Bandit Mook @E2:
    Standard Action: Crossbow against Dhyrn

Attack Roll: 10 vs AC MISS!
    Move Action: Move to A4

Bandit Mook @E6:
    Free Action: Drop Crossbow
    Standard Action: Mace against Nemo

Attack: +7 vs AC
    Hit: 2 damage.
    Attack Roll: 22 vs AC HIT!
    Damage Roll: 2 damage.

Map (Round 3.5):
    AmbushMapRound35_zps6b2edaf4.jpg

Initiative:
    Smith 19
    Bandits 19 average
    Matthew 13
    Dhyrn 11
    Bandit Leader 11
    Nemo 10
    Gareth 9
    Arifyn 5

Stats:
    (I4) Arifyn HP 3/22 Bloodied!
    (G2) Dhyrn HP 12/25 Bloodied!
    Blood Fury [+2 damage while bloodied]
    Dazed [until end of Bandit #1's turn]
    (H4) Gareth HP 13/22
    Myrmidon Formation [at the start of Gareth's next turn, each ally adjacent to Gareth gains +5 Temp HP]
    (K1) Matthew HP 23/23
    (F5) Nemo HP 25/33
    (G3) Smith HP 18/31 +3 Temp HP
    (A6,A5,A4,E6) Bandit Mook HP 1/1
    E6: Divine Challenge
    (G4) Bandit #2 HP 4/37 Bloodied!
    (F3) Bandit #3 (Jasper) HP 7/37 Bloodied!

Monster Details:
    Special:
    Mob Mentality:

Special:
    Combat Advantage:

Features:

Up Next: Gareth, Arifyn and Nemo On Deck: Smith (and Round 4!)

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    "I won't let you get away!" Nemo attacks the last Mook who has yet to flee the battle. He swiftly slices at the bandit's leg, severing an artery. The bandit collapses to the ground as he bleeds out.

"There's only a few left, let's finish this!" Nemo shouts as he moves into position to flank the next bandit.
    Standard Action: Ardent Strike against Bandit Mook: 1d20+7 25
    Result: Ardent Strike Damage: 1d6+4 10
    Movement: Shift to F4

Up Next: Gareth, Arifyn On Deck: Smith

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    "Let's take the last one alive if we can! He may have information."

• Options
    Arifyn groaned as he moved. He hurt, everywhere. Something might be broken in his shoulder. As the rest of the bandits ran, he called out to the rest of the team. "Wait! Let them go! They have learned their lesson today." He moved towards Jasper.

"We need to keep him alive. I would like to question him. This might not be some random encounter but rather a planned ambush for us. Someone might be talking about our mission. We need to find out where they are operating from and if they were expecting us."

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    "Well, I'm all for squeezing the sleeping bastard over hot coals, but what do ye say we knock this one dead first, eh?"

So saying, Gareth swings at the last bandit yet to flee and still awake, but the battle must have taken a harder toll than he realized, and his swing went well wide of the mark.
    Attack Move: MBA against Bandit #2 (G,4)
    Attack Roll: 1d20+7=10

• Options
    Shaking his head in disbelief, Gareth frowns at his warhammer, and swings again, this time connecting with the bandit's skull so hard it nearly atomizes.

"Now THAT'S more like it!", he shouts, gruesomely cheerful.
    Action Point!
    Basic Melee Attack against Bandit #2 (G,4): 1d20+7=27
    Damage: Critical hit! 1d10+5=15 damage!

• Options
    Arifyn hobbled over to Jasper. He eyed the newly headless bandit with disgust at some of the brains splattered on his jacket. He wiped it off, grimacing at the motion. "All this violence, so uncivilized," he muttered. The Changeling stopped next to the sleeping bandit, last remnant of the raiders. "Can we wake him? I would have knowledge of their purpose and base of operations."

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    With the immediate threats taken care of, Smith spots the remaining able-bodied bandits fleeing the scene. Sword at the ready he rushes past everyone else, trying to catch up desperately with the ruffians before they can call any possible reinforcements. Before they extend past his reach, the Warforged plunges his blade into the ground no more than five feet behind them. A rippling force bursts outwards, knocking them all down in one wave as ribs and innards crack and collapse from the attack.

Pulling his bastard sword out of the soil, Smith deftly sheathes it in one fluid motion, taking a moment to gaze upon the scene until he turns back to his comrades.

"Gentlemen, we appear to be free to move once more."
    Move Action: Move to B,5
    Standard Action: Sword Burst vs. Mooks 1, 2, and 3.

Attack Roll:
    1d20 + 7 vs. Ref = 20 Hit!

Attack Roll:
    1d20 + 7 vs. Ref = 21 Hit!

Attack Roll:

1d20 + 7 vs. Ref = 27 Crit!

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Bandit Banzai! - Encounter Complete!

XP Gained for Encounter:
    Encounter XP: 900XP / 6 PCs = 150 XP for each PC
    Total XP Gained (per PC): 150 XP

Treasure Found:
    Dhyrn: Passive Perception:
    Inspecting the corpses of the former bandits, you managed to find 900 gold pieces and 4 potions of healing!

With the remaining bandits either killed or knocked unconscious, the heroes won their first victory outside Brevoy.

The bandits' weapons and corpses lain strewn about the field, with their leader torn to a bloody mess and laying in the middle of the road. It was so bad that no one could even recognize the former bandit's face.

Still, it was their first fight! Working together, they managed to outwit and defeat a band of bandits!

Here’s also each player’s HP total after the fight should you need to spend some healing surges:

Arifyn HP 3/22
    Dhyrn HP 12/25
    Gareth HP 13/22
    Matthew HP 23/23
    Nemo HP 25/33
    Smith HP 18/31