As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting Rounding errors while running Prime95 - is my CPU toast?

KyzenKyzen Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Title more or less says it all. My CPU took a beating recently:

-2 weeks ago I got a Tuniq Tower 120, installed it, and the machine wouldn't boot
-I spent 3 days unseating and reseating my processor, and remounting the Tuniq until the CPU would boot
-It would always eventually not boot. I blame the cause on the weight of the Tuniq
-All in all the CPU was reseated at least a dozen times
-I got a new CPU cooler, mounted it, it ran fine, but hot
-Dismounted the cooler, did a more thurough job removing thermal paste, remounted the cooler with fresh thermal paste
-Last night: WoW locks up after an hour and a half of use. The same 1/2 a second sound clip played repeatedly in my speakers till I hard booted it
-An hour later, while running PC Wizard, Speedfan, and Prime95 I got a BSOD
-Today at lunch, I ran 2 instances of Prime95 for about 45 minutes, and got three rounding errors total
-CPU was at about 58-62c during the errors

computer specs:
Vista Ultimate 64
C2D 6300 (not overclocked)
Gigabyte DS3
4 Gigs of RAM (2 installed at the same time as the last cooler)

I'm getting all sorts of suggestions from friends, ranging from "your CPU is damaged" to "Your mobo is broken" to "Vista suxx0rs"

Any ideas what's going on?

Kyzen on

• Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It does indeed sound like the processor. Possibly the mobo, but it's more likely the processor.

It's not Vista. Regardless of how shitty Vista is, boot problems point to either hardware, or a gross software misconfiguration/absence.

I'm not familiar with Prime95, but assuming it's testing the processor's circuitry, "rounding errors" suggest that the chip's logic is FUBAR, and thus writing garbage values into registers and areas of memory (or perhaps wrong registers/areas of memory. When the math goes wrong, anything can happen).

Edit: read up on Prime95, and what I said pretty much holds.

Andorien on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    First off, i can tell you why your machine wouldn't boot properly with the tuniq tower, the DS3 has some circuitry on the back right behind the processor that the backplate for the tuniq tower shorts, the only way to get it working is to use electrical tape to cover the contacts
    (which is what i ended up doing with DS3+tuniq after going through many wtf processor remounts)

The first thing i'd do is try underclocking the processor a bit, and running prime95 again, also maybe try taking the side panel off your case while doing so to drop the temperature a bit more (even though 62C should be fine for a C2D) and see if it still gets errors

edit: also chances are if your new cooler also has a backplate, it may be causing some issues with the mobo, i'd take it off and slap some electrical tape between it and the mobo, if its something like the arctic freezer that doesnt have a backplate you shouldnt have a problem with it though

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin