As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the dawning of the Age of Ultron.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Age of Ultron was a 9 issue mash-up of Days of Future Past/Back to the Future/Age of Apocalypse, that ended in issue 10 which was 6 pages of a comic from 2011 and a Point One stuck in the latter half.

I'm kind of annoyed at myself for buying into the hype to check it out originally, and an idiot for sticking to the end in the hope that it would improve.

And for a series about Ultron we got Jack and shit of actual Ultron in like 92% of it, and the actual Ultron fight we do finally get is that rehash from Avengers 12.1. Ugh.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    So basically, its a story that could have been told in 10 Avengers issues instead of an event.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    So basically, its a story that could have been told in 10 Avengers issues instead of an event.

It's a story that could have been told in the recap page of a single Avengers issue

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It is a story that could have been told . 3-5 Issues of the Avengers.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm with you. You can see threads of more interesting stories in what we got, but the problem is that what we got was a story that ran from all of its more interesting suggestions and implications.

Ultron is controlling his forces from the future!
    The Vision is Ultron's puppet!
    Ultron is buying up heroes from gangs of small-time villains!

Yeah, anyway, and then Ultron died, what's for dinner?

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I'm so glad tht I jumped off at issue 2. Bridget and I were reviewing it for our podcast and on the second issue we were both like "you know what this is a boring mess. Let's just not read it. I think sometimes you need I make that call.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    I think my favorite part about this last issue was how it essentially made the whole story irrelevant.

We time travel all the time...why did this one get all wonky?
    I dunno....I guess it was one too many?

Nothing really out of the ordinary...well comic world ordinary anyway. Think that is why it was so underwhelming

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    For all of it's faults, addressing that the current Marvel Universe is totally fucking up the timeline is actually a good thing

Since Marvel Now we've got:
    The Original X-Men jumping to the present
    The DoFP team showing up in Battle of the Atom
    Kang stealing the Apocalypse Twins
    The Apocalypse Twins jumping to the present
    Hulk travelling to ye olde pre-Thor becoming and Avenger Asgard
    Dog Logan coming to the present and bringing various people/things from the future and past with him
    Spider-Man 2099 coming to the present
    Deadpool travelling to the past
    The Fantastic Four jumping across time and space with their road trip
    Cable jumping to the present
    Hulk becoming an "Agent of TIME"

That's all since November and I am probably forgetting some!

That doesn't even touch jumping universes or anything like that

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    When did Deadpool time travel? oh wait never mind.

And yeah if you throw in universe jumping, it's amazing that everything hasn't imploded on itself sooner.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    deadpool7cov.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    They actually played that issue off like it was some old story that was sitting in a file all this time for filler.

He did technically time travel at the end though.

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    I do think there's an interesting take on time travel in Age of Ultron, what with essentially not encountering the villain directly and then making it so things didn't happen. There's nothing wrong with, in concept, teasing all of this hints at bigger things but using the time travel aspect to completely wipe them from existence so that they didn't matter, and thus not showing said things.

I'm just not sure it fits in an established continuity as well as it would something on it's own. But this just might be my enjoyment of different takes on time travel showing through.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    They actually played that issue off like it was some old story that was sitting in a file all this time for filler.

It also shows up in the big TIME TRAVEL splash in AoU 10 so I figured it counted

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

It also shows up in the big TIME TRAVEL splash in AoU 10 so I figured it counted

Huh, didn't even notice that shard, I think my eyes glazed over by that point.

It's also not from that particular issue of Deadpool, I can't quite place which that references.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I think the best thing about Age of Ultron, that we know of so far Hunger or Angela could be dope, is Hank Pym can hopefully finally move past I MADE ULTRON and I HIT JANET. He has gotten past the Janet shit pretty well in the past decade or so, but with
    him being responsible for saving the entire world and pretty much everyone in it almost single handedly, the fact that he created Ultron can kinda stop being throne in his face.

I am very interested in where he goes from here with the A.I. one-shot next week and his leadership role in Avengers AI.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    This does really seem like a set up to
    End the Ultimate universe, outside of Ultimate Spiderman everything is selling badly. Remember the days when it was the must have books? People saying it should replace the original Marvel universe? Amazing how so much has changed since then. But yeah all this is likely to end the Ultimates, can't say it's a huge surprise, this more or less happened with the 2099 universe way back when. It started off, then eventually they tried to reboot it, cut down on the titles but it lost it's steam and eventually more or less got axed.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    The Ultimate's...
    current storyline revolves around Ultimate Kang taking over and trying to stop the universe from ending with the use of the infinity gauntlets (two of them!)
    hopefully this ties in with the AoU ending because I happen to like Ultimate universe. :P

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Re: Ultimate stuff
    Keep Peter dead, kill Otto. Miles is The Spider-Man of 616.

Honestly, they should've flipped the whole thing from the beginning. 616 Peter dies and we meet Miles, Ultimate Peter lives on. Since ultimate is suppose to be the easier-for-the-casual-reader side of the Marvel Universe.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The Ultimate line has not been designed for new readers for like

5 or more years

Ultimate Spider-Man notwithstanding as Miles was designed to be new reader friendly

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Ah. I should've guessed things had changed with the post Ultimatum relaunch.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    For all of it's faults, addressing that the current Marvel Universe is totally fucking up the timeline is actually a good thing

Since Marvel Now we've got:
    The Original X-Men jumping to the present
    The DoFP team showing up in Battle of the Atom
    Kang stealing the Apocalypse Twins
    The Apocalypse Twins jumping to the present
    Hulk travelling to ye olde pre-Thor becoming and Avenger Asgard
    Dog Logan coming to the present and bringing various people/things from the future and past with him
    Spider-Man 2099 coming to the present
    Deadpool travelling to the past
    The Fantastic Four jumping across time and space with their road trip
    Cable jumping to the present
    Hulk becoming an "Agent of TIME"

That's all since November and I am probably forgetting some!

That doesn't even touch jumping universes or anything like that

Also
    prv14180_pg4.jpg

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular

Honestly, they should've flipped the whole thing from the beginning. 616 Peter dies and we meet Miles, Ultimate Peter lives on. Since ultimate is suppose to be the easier-for-the-casual-reader side of the Marvel Universe.

I like this idea.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I like this idea.

I don't
    Miles supporting cast is so important to the character, yanking him from one universe to the other would completely ruin it.

He'd go from a new twist on the classic underdog high schooler spider-man, trying to balance superheroing and family and everything else, to what? Miles Morales, reality-displaced orphan? Plenty of angst in that angle, but no heart.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I think the best thing about Age of Ultron, that we know of so far Hunger or Angela could be dope, is Hank Pym can hopefully finally move past I MADE ULTRON and I HIT JANET. He has gotten past the Janet shit pretty well in the past decade or so, but with
    him being responsible for saving the entire world and pretty much everyone in it almost single handedly, the fact that he created Ultron can kinda stop being throne in his face.

I am very interested in where he goes from here with the A.I. one-shot next week and his leadership role in Avengers AI.

Wait, I could swear that Santi Sardina stopped Ultron
    :P

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Bendis explains "all." By which he explains nothing.
    • Hunger is about Galactus visiting the Ultimate U.
    • "you get to see Sara Pichelli draw one of my favorite fight scenes that I've ever been involved [with], which is Angela vs. Gamora."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Also, the end to AoU could explain why Thanos is free again after what happened in Avengers Assemble 8.

And I am getting Hunger in single issues instead of waiting for the trade.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    • "you get to see Sara Pichelli draw one of my favorite fight scenes that I've ever been involved [with], which is Angela vs. Gamora."
    People go, "Where's Ultron?" It's "Age of Ultron," This is the world of Ultron, not Ultron. I know that's bullsh*tty, but I'm saying it. There you go.

I cannot believe this guy's chutzpah

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    "Yes this is a shitty answer but its my answer so fuck off and deal with it" isn't something you usually get from an interview. That is true.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I wonder if Bendis originally planned to go in a different direction with the story. There is a lot that's alluded to in the early issues that just doesn't pan out.

it seems pretty clear that the multiverse breaking stuff was a newer idea that they bolted onto the Hitch pages from 2 years ago.

I actually really liked the ending, I just felt like the way we got there was too roundabout.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I like this idea.

I don't
    Miles supporting cast is so important to the character, yanking him from one universe to the other would completely ruin it.

He'd go from a new twist on the classic underdog high schooler spider-man, trying to balance superheroing and family and everything else, to what? Miles Morales, reality-displaced orphan? Plenty of angst in that angle, but no heart.
    Plus we already got that story with Sean McKeever's Nomad

• Options
    Yeah, but
    When was the last time we even saw Nomad?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    When she died

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I liked #10
    High point of the event
    And it seems like it could set up a lot of cool stuff

The event itself was kinda meh, though
    Like Blank said it was all over the place
    We got more Age of Morgana le Fey than we eneded up getting Age of Ultron

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    I liked #10
    High point of the event
    And it seems like it could set up a lot of cool stuff

The event itself was kinda meh, though
    Like Blank said it was all over the place
    We got more Age of Morgana le Fey than we eneded up getting Age of Ultron

Um, not really? The "true" Ultron stuff was from issues 1 though 6 and 10 while the Le Fey stuff was only 7 through 9.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Keith wrote: »
    When she died

What

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    did you miss Onslaught Unleashed, dude?

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Maybe I exaggerated a little

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DarcsteelDarcsteel Wildcard NC United StatesRegistered User regular
    People go, "Where's Ultron?" It's "Age of Ultron," This is the world of Ultron, not Ultron. I know that's bullsh*tty, but I'm saying it. There you go.

I cannot believe this guy's chutzpah

You know I remember way back when they did Age of Apocalypse. Guess where Apocalypse was. Right in the middle of things drowning xmen in the blood of their families and generally fucking shit up being a bad ass. Thats what you want to see with an age of. Make it their age their rule and show them handing out the smack downs. Yeah we got the drones and the whole he's doing it from the future.
    They could have given an issue to HOW he took the world. I mean our guys are generally prepared for some tough shit so what was so different this time. there was so much more they could have done aside from Pym emailing himself about Ultron's off switch. Hell half way through the "Age of Ultron" it turned into Logan and Susan's Excellent Adventure

• Options
    More like Logan and Susan's Bogus Journey.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I saw Angela's appearance from #10, that was very odd, and had to be intentional 90's.
    she shows up in space almost riding the giant cut off head of some big demon, and it's got all the globs of blood floating around while she holds some double edged blade. At least her ribbons were still around so Quesada could draw miles of them ala DD's billy clubs.