Options

[Endless Space] It is a Space 4X! Similar to MoO2! IT IS OUT! It is Worth It.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    So as someone who never peruses anything other than total conquest, this game is not great? Its on sale and I'm close to pulling the trigger but that would really chap my hide.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    so, is it better? I enjoyed a lot about this game and am intrigued about the changes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Caved. Bought. Haven't played the pre-expansion version.

Combat seems in-depth and complex, stuff to do.

On a similar note, what the fuck am I doing when I design ships?

Normally you tech up and get better weapons that replace the previous ones, but it seems here like there's fewer new weapons so you either gotta put more on or put new gadgets and doodads on the ships?

Whaaaa?

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I'd play this again, and buy the expansion, if there was decent documentation.

Can't play strategy games without a decent manual.

There still isn't one, right?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Caved. Bought. Haven't played the pre-expansion version.

Combat seems in-depth and complex, stuff to do.

On a similar note, what the fuck am I doing when I design ships?

Normally you tech up and get better weapons that replace the previous ones, but it seems here like there's fewer new weapons so you either gotta put more on or put new gadgets and doodads on the ships?

Whaaaa?

It's a bit like Alpha Centauri unit design, only with the extraneous weapons and armor cut out (seriously never got the gatling gun before getting two weapons better than it). Fewer weapons just cuts out the middle man. Most of the "new tech" in different games are just straight upgrades and don't really need to clutter screens. Instead of getting a different gun that just replaces the old one, you get a better version of the old gun which is just more streamlined. Narrower weapon choices leads to different tactical gameplay.

So you choose between a solid projectile, a beam weapon and a missile weapon. You get to choose at what range it fires (which effects how much room it takes up) and how many you want to put on there. On top of that there's defensive mods to defend against each weapon type, support mods, and new "special" mods.
    Combat between factions often comes down to building what the enemy is weakest against before they adapt to it and you have to start adapting ship designs all over again.
    The new special mods are, mainly, fighters and bombers, which you can build to attack planets, ships, or both.
    The support mods come in real handy. You can tack on armor to increase health, power upgrades to increase damage or defense, scout upgrades to increase sight and accuracy, and tonnage upgrades to add more room for other upgrades.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    So a general guide is, look at what the enemy is using, then fill the ship with the thing they're weakest against and the defense-module for what they're using?

Literally just that? :/

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »
    So a general guide is, look at what the enemy is using, then fill the ship with the thing they're weakest against and the defense-module for what they're using?

Literally just that? :/

Pretty much. It remains to be seen how much the expansion changed matters. Making sure to have a flying repair-yard in your fleets was useful, too, in the pre-expansion setup.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm still playing around with the expansion. It seems to be a bit bugged in displaying the battles right now so it's hard to tell which tactics are working well/poorly.

There's now a lot more wrinkle to the combat though: fleet organization, strategy at each stage, all weapon type can be melee/medium/long range, fighters, bombers, point defense...

I think it'll cut into the RPS of the original lineup.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I'm still playing around with the expansion. It seems to be a bit bugged in displaying the battles right now so it's hard to tell which tactics are working well/poorly.

There's now a lot more wrinkle to the combat though: fleet organization, strategy at each stage, all weapon type can be melee/medium/long range, fighters, bombers, point defense...

I think it'll cut into the RPS of the original lineup.

Yeah, I've ended up fielding weaponless "motherships" that are all armor mods and Fighter/Bombers and keeping them at the front of my formation. The high health means it's harder to take out and the fighters and bombers start doing some real damage, but their main purpose is to soak damage for the rest of the formation.

• Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I'd play this again, and buy the expansion, if there was decent documentation.

Can't play strategy games without a decent manual.

There still isn't one, right?

I see a 47 page manual when I right-click in steam.

There's also a tutorial mode, not sure how good that is, my friend got his first exposure last night and said it was quite a lot to take in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    It's pretty good, everything you click on, it gives you like a full screen walkthrough of what does what. I just did about 30-45 minutes of it last night. but yea it is a bit to take in, but any game like this is.

It's not as bad as X3, boy howdy.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So, Stardrive (the next game from the same developer) is on sale today. If any folks around here would know about it, it seems like this thread is a likely candidate - anyone played it?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So, Stardrive (the next game from the same developer) is on sale today. If any folks around here would know about it, it seems like this thread is a likely candidate - anyone played it?

ES was developed by Amplitude, StarDrive was developed by Zero Sum Games

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

ES was developed by Amplitude, StarDrive was developed by Zero Sum Games

Whoops, my mistake - the Iceberg Interactive thing made me think they were teams in the same dev, but looks like that's the publisher. Nevermind.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I've been following its thread - which I'd hunt down for you and link were I not on my phone, but now you know it has one - and it appears to be a rather more whimsical galaxy composition in terms of types of alien with combat that is significantly more involved than Endless Space's used to be.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    E: Dangit.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hey so, the random event turn summary is really fucking unhelpful. Anybody know of a good way to get more specific information when it tells you something like, "an anomaly is created on 4 planets". I also just saw the one that creates some rad Endless artifacts on a "neutral planet". I have explored the entire galaxy, and not a single planet neutral or otherwise appears to have anything like that on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ugggh, there's no way to skip the fucking battle animation if you're in it, also if you accidentally click remove HUD, you can't get it back, at least not by any intuitive method that I've found. Including button mashing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Hmm... I'm really eyeing this game. Wish they had a demo.

And I cant find visuals of planet invasions! I want to see what that looks like before I buy.

• Options
    It doesn't look like anything. At least not that I've seen. I haven't had a chance to use any bombs or dropships.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    See thats the stuff that sounds really cool, and there isnt a single screenshot or video anywhere.

• Options
    TallweirdoTallweirdo Registered User regular
    if you accidentally click remove HUD, you can't get it back, at least not by any intuitive method that I've found. Including button mashing.

Press 'H'

• Options
    Tallweirdo wrote: »
    if you accidentally click remove HUD, you can't get it back, at least not by any intuitive method that I've found. Including button mashing.

Press 'H'

Yeah, I found that when I moused over it in the next battle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    See thats the stuff that sounds really cool, and there isnt a single screenshot or video anywhere.
    The couple of invasions I've done have just involved my ships sitting in orbit while I slowly gained control of the system. Hopefully bombing and drop troops are more cool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, it sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but this game is really fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a summary of the changes they made to planetary systems and the tech tree for the expansion? It wasn't mentioned in the patch at all but the planetary stats have changed massively (+13 science per person on a barren planet?) and the tech trees appear to have shifted around as well.

• Options
    Did they fix how small the fleets are?
    Found something in my game last night and had to reach back to this question.

The answer is yes. Yes, yes, yes.
    The combat tree is now peppered with "+ cmd" tech. In fact there's 2 on only the third or fourth tier. That's on top of the normal "+ cmd" that's always been in the social tree. I think I was up to 12 ship fleets in early game with Pilgrims.

• Options
    Uggh, I saved and quit to make supper about 3 turns away from finishing the invasion of an enemy outpost. When I reload the game, my invasion has somehow stopped, and I can't restart it, because it says I need to be at war or cold war to invade this outpost.
    I am at cold war.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Uggh, I saved and quit to make supper about 3 turns away from finishing the invasion of an enemy outpost. When I reload the game, my invasion has somehow stopped, and I can't restart it, because it says I need to be at war or cold war to invade this outpost.
    I am at cold war.

Perhaps there is an older auto save where the bug hasn't showed up?

I am having some troubles getting into the ship building aspect of the game. As far as I understand there is three major weapon types: missile, beam, and kinetic. But when I look in the military research chart all weapons are listed as "Beam weapon module", even Ion Torpedoes and so on. Feels like I'm missing something here...

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I am at cold war.

Sounds like the system slipped into another player's zone of influence. Even if it's just an outpost, if it's covered by the ZOI of another player you are not at (hot) war with, you can't invade anything within their ZOI. The zone size changes with population... maybe a nearby enemy planet had pop growth that turn and the resulting bigger ZOI covered the planet you were invading. That happens sometimes. Could that have been it?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Yeah, it had been just barely on the edge of their territory then their territory expanded. About 8 turns later I was able to restart it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Haven't played in a while, but still picked up the expansion. I'm a bit annoyed at how they separated invasion power, but I'm working out ways around that (been playing with running fleets in pairs, with all combat fleets up front clearing out a system followed by a wave of troop/seige ships to secure the system).

Anyone noticed that the AI is a lot less asinine about making diplomatic arrangements? Before I noticed any time I had a good edge on the AI they would demand that I make crazy concessions, like trading a full monopoly of three different resources just for the privilege of allying with an empire I could steamroll in two turns.

But now, it seems to be reversed. If I have that edge, the AI will throw gifts at me to get on my good side or just buy a cease fire. I can soak up half the resources I want just by agreeing not to kill everybody for a couple more years.

• Options
    So I think I want to mod this thing.

The thing that really bugs me at the moment is actually the writing. I want to eliminate all the placeholder shit for exploration events, and make the random/galaxy wide events less...

baaad? I guess bad, sorry G2G community.

Though looking at the XML files holy shit there are like 200 events.

I was also thinking of doing a bit of work on figuring out if I could make it sort of like Alpha Centauri where galaxy-wide changes fed into a storyline. It seems like a natural fit.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I like the race descriptions and tech descriptions and such. But a lot of the mechanical text is really, somehow both vague and overly wordy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yeah the descriptions are generally solid, but stuff like... so for instance there's a galaxy event that's basically literally:

"A terrorist that hates you for some reason blew up all of your ships! Your ships take 10% hp damage".

Which just seems like a real jarring sort of thing. I have terrorists? What? Wait he got... the navy? Did we like catch him? Can I follow up? What the hell! How did he bomb my entire navy but not actually destroy any ship?

And the fact that legit every exploration event has placeholder text at the moment.
    As familiarity with space travel and exploration increases, more and more events and anomalies are registered. Some of these are simply strokes of luck -- either good or bad -- while others are complex situations that require decisions... and generate risk.

It's not the most important part of the game at all, but I figure I don't want to chase the balance unicorn, and I'm a shitty artist. So really, text is the only place I could make a dent. Maybe add anomalies and that sort of thing as well, things where I can reuse art.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    Or 5 lines of text in an event that literally just mean, "your hero gets 20% more exp for any damn thing."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So i caved and bought the game (sans expansion) when it was on sale.

I'm still learning. My latest lesson?

Don't declare war without a proper set of fleets ready. Also good ships don't hurt.

I am not very good at 4X games. What are some tips for beginners?

• Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular

Don't declare war without a proper set of fleets ready. Also good ships don't hurt.

get a admin or corporate hero ASAP. If you can't try to find one of the heroes with a production/food bonus and assign them to your main system. Be ready to move them once you find a better system(there's a good chance you will find a better system for them to enhance as you explore). Lower the tax rate as often as you can as it will increase food, industry and research.

Only Colonize Terran, Jungle, Ocean > Arid, Tundra > Desert, Arctic at first, until you have Infinite Supermarkets researched(or somehow have a high approval). Try to avoid planets with Red Anomalies. Once you've colonized all of the good planet types (-5 approval or less), research Applied Casmir Effect for wormhole travel, while at the same time beginning to build fleets.

When colonizing, always assign food production exploitation on the first planet you colonize in a system. You may want to continue to do this for the next two or even three planets you colonize on a system depending upon their own ability to generate food + system improvements built.

When ship designing, always modify existing ship designs, rather than making completely new ones. This way you can retrofit existing fleets for dust.

You don't need to declare war to invade a system, so long as it is within 30 turns of the player having colonized it, and it is not within the player's sphere of influence. Use Cold War to its advantage(this goes primarily for the thunderdome that occurs in the center of spiral galaxy maps).

Don't accept peace offers unless it's beneficial to you(will you be researching trade routes, is the guy offering peace really strong/high score?, is he giving you strat or lux resources you need along with the offer, or demanding you give up something to break a monopoly?)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

The biggest thing in Endless Space that took me a while to learn is that you absolutely should not for any reason colonize more than one planet in a system unless your first planet is population capped. You only ever want to have one planet in a system with room to grow at a time.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular

The biggest thing in Endless Space that took me a while to learn is that you absolutely should not for any reason colonize more than one planet in a system unless your first planet is population capped. You only ever want to have one planet in a system with room to grow at a time.

As a complete newb, why is this? I can understand wanting room to grow, but what is the downside of populating more than one planet early in a system's discovery?

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153