As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Administrator account doesn't administrate

FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Somehow I have an XP Pro box that the administrator account does not have admin access. I have no idea how this happened, but is there a way to restore or create an account that does without said access?

Fellhand on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Somehow I have an XP Pro box that the administrator account does not have admin access. I have no idea how this happened, but is there a way to restore or create an account that does without said access?

Right Click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage"

Expand "Local Users and Groups"

Click on "Groups"

Right Click on the "Administrators" group and add the account that you want to have administrator access.

[edit] Ha ha ha, oh wait, that might require Administrator level access.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    deke55555deke55555 regular
    edited August 2007
    If you're talking about the actual, honest-to-god administrator account (named administrator), you should be able to just go into the local settings and give yourself back the godlike powers you are missing. I think you can't lose the administrator ability to take ownership of objects without really trying to.

deke55555 on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This may be a stupid question, but are you logged in as the administrator? A fresh install of windows will usually set up two accounts, administrator and guest; perhaps you're logged in as guest, see if you can use the "switch users" option and log onto your administrator account. If, for some reason you only have one account and you still do not have administrative access then you should probably look into your account settings and see if you really only have one account or if you have two and you've set to automatically load the guest account.

Uncle Long on