Options

[Cops Gone Wild]: The Badge Don't Mean A Thing If You're Black Edition

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
Ranking black NYPD chief stopped, frisked by undercover cops:
Chief Douglas Zeigler, 60, head of the Community Affairs Bureau, was in his NYPD-issued vehicle near a fire hydrant when two plainclothes cops approached on May 2, sources said.
One officer walked up on each side of the SUV at 57th Ave. and Xenia St. in Corona about 7 p.m. and told the driver to roll down the heavily tinted windows, sources said.
What happened next is in dispute.
In his briefing to Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly, Zeigler said the two cops, who are white, had no legitimate reason to approach his SUV, ranking sources said.
After they ordered him to get out, one officer did not believe the NYPD identification Zeigler gave him.

One, two cops are going to have very bad careers with the NYPD. You do not fuck with the brass like that and come away unscathed.

Two, this story should kill any talk of Ray Kelly at DHS. It won't, but it should.

Three, can we all finally agree that stop and frisk is racially discriminatory?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they didn't shoot him, given the way "cops being awful" stories usually go (especially in the last thread). They didn't believe his police identification? And they're from the same fucking place? Jesus.

And yeah it's no surprise that these things are racially discriminatory.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Has there been any word on what disciplinary measures were taken, 5 years later?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    Has there been any word on what disciplinary measures were taken, 5 years later?

Officially, the idiot who drew on the chief was suspended and asked to return his sidearm.

Unofficially, these two are pretty much fucked. Their careers ended that day.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular

Officially, the idiot who drew on the chief was suspended and asked to return his sidearm.

Yeah, going through the news searches, it seems that's the case. It takes a cop to take down a cop.

The typical muckracking occured afterwards too as another ex-cop accused Zeigler of having an affair.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

lol

LOOOOOOL
    head of the Community Affairs Bureau

Can't stop laughing.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Seriously though, I've seen the standard NYPD-issue SUVs, they're not subtle, and this guy probably isn't riding in something undercover since he's head of the Community Affairs Bureau...

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

So there are penalties for abusive police behaviour.

1/10,000th of the time.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

So there are penalties for abusive police behaviour.

1/10,000th of the time.

There are. When they're abusive towards their own superiors.
    The proles can rot though.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Malkor wrote: »

lol

LOOOOOOL
    head of the Community Affairs Bureau

Can't stop laughing.

Makes me wonder if the two UC's were set up.

This always had me worried, when cops dont trust official ID saying someone else is an officer, why should I trust an officer pulling me over? They aren't going to wait for me to confirm with the non emergency number.

edit: holy shit, the guy was in an issued vehicle(plates would of been marked at least), and he had his ID around his neck the whole time.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Isn't this old news?

Like 2008 old? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Isn't this old news?

I'd actually like to see more "Where are they now?"-looks into old stories like that. It's quite rare to hear anything more about these sorts of things.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder if the two UC's were set up.

This always had me worried, when cops dont trust official ID saying someone else is an officer, why should I trust an officer pulling me over? They aren't going to wait for me to confirm with the non emergency number.

edit: holy shit, the guy was in an issued vehicle(plates would of been marked at least), and he had his ID around his neck the whole time.

Pfft. 'ID'. 'Marked plates'. Everyone knows how easy it is for some punk to counterfeit that stuff and walk around declaring themselves to be the chief of police.

Even if it's old, it's still hilarious. The only missing element is that it wasn't the LAPD. :/

C'mon, guys! You going to let those hippie NYPD cops show you up like that?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Isn't this old news?

I'd actually like to see more "Where are they now?"-looks into old stories like that. It's quite rare to hear anything more about these sorts of things.

Also because a majority of stories begin with Officers on paid leave, because innocent until proven guilty and all that (especially with a strong union behind you). So finding out if they could actually be proven guilty or if it was a false allegation, and what the ramifications for the outcome was.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Isn't this old news?

Also because a majority of stories begin with Officers on paid leave, because innocent until proven guilty and all that (especially with a strong union behind you). So finding out if they could actually be proven guilty or if it was a false allegation, and what the ramifications for the outcome was.

This is pretty much was I was driving at. It's just that we tend to get left hanging regarding the turnout of various stories.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Well...cops are still employees, so if they aren't committing / charged with a crime, there is a certain amount of privacy or confidentiality that's to be expected in employer-employee disciplinary issues.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Well...cops are still employees, so if they aren't committing / charged with a crime, there is a certain amount of privacy or confidentiality that's to be expected in employer-employee disciplinary issues.

There being basically no follow-up reads essentially as "they were let off without punishment once people stopped paying attention", regardless of what actually happened. That's why follow-up would be good, as it'd either show the prosecution for crimes/abuse to either work and be fair, or expose the parties involved just sweeping everything under the carpet the moment that public eye is looking elsewhere.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

There being basically no follow-up reads essentially as "they were let off without punishment once people stopped paying attention", regardless of what actually happened. That's why follow-up would be good, as it'd either show the prosecution for crimes/abuse to either work and be fair, or expose the parties involved just sweeping everything under the carpet the moment that public eye is looking elsewhere.

Well, I know in my area they usually do a very good job of following up whenever cops are investigated and convicted of criminal activity while on the job. Just last night there was a big story - from the county I grew up in no less - about three sheriff's deputies (including the head of the narcotics task force being charged with all kinds of corruption / abuses. Another neighboring town where the chief, mayor, and a bunch of deputies are being charged with corruption also gets regular follow-ups. We had another story about a SWAT officer killing a 7 year old girl during a raid that was in the news every day through the conclusion of the court case.

Additionally, I recall quite a few high profile cases (Oakland BART shooting, Rodney King, some NYC shooting / killings) where the investigation and court case also received pretty widespread attention.

Now, minor disciplinary stuff - not a crime, but a violation of policy (like the topic of this thread)? That's USUALLY not going to be followed up on because - quite simply - nobody really cares unless it's a very slow news day or somehow humorous / ironic. The original story may make news, but people have a right to have disciplinary matters with their employer (even cops) kept private. I suppose you could probably file a FOIA request to see what the outcome is - hell, blog about it. You could write your news outlets / editor and ask for a follow-up on the story. But most of the time mundane workplace disciplinary matters just aren't newsworthy. Nobody is going to use airtime or column inches to say 'Joe Blow received fifteen days desk duty, a write-up, and was passed over for promotion two times, and was at the top of the lay-off list because of this issue.'

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    We should be so lucky to have all bad cops do something this stupid.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    We should be so lucky to have all bad cops do something this stupid.

This innocuous as well, noone ended up disabled, shot or dead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The New Yorker has been doing an excellent series on the militarization of the police. This story on the sharp rise of SWAT raids - from a few hundred a year in the 70s to more than 80,000 a year today - opens with a mass raid on a charity art gala where police swarmed the partygoers, forcing them on the ground and kicking them, for attending an event that did not have proper permits for singing and dancing.

The preceding article, on the rise of civil forfeitures, talks about how police have greatly expanded the practice of seizing homes and vehicles for citizens who are never charged for a crime. In the case of the aforementioned partygoers, they had to pays thousands each to have their cars returned after police seized them at the gala.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    One thing to note is that many police malfeasance cases are national news when they happen, but drop to local coverage by the conclusion. You can quite often dig up the end result buried somewhere in the local paper.

"Cop punches teenage girl all up in her face for jaywalking" makes for good outrage fuel, but the average news consumer doesn't have the attention span to hang around for the thrilling "cop cleared in use of force, girls plead out on assaulting a police officer" conclusion.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Three, can we all finally agree that stop and frisk is racially discriminatory?

Am I wrong in saying "probably also unconstitutional?"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    "No, see, it's not racist because when you arrest people because they're black you get arrest statistics which show that black people get arrested more often therefore it's totally okay to arrest them more often because as everyone knows being arrested means you're guilty."

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    If you want more recent misadventures, I'll crosspost from the D&D thread.
    Shadowen wrote: »
    In other Cops Gone Wild news, Florida police didn't kill someone. They shot an unarmed 60-year-old man, but they didn't kill him. Wonderful news! On the downside, this may be because their marksmanship sucked. Only one of at least six bullets hit the target. Poor form, officers! Try to bring those averages up!

Deputies also killed only one of two dogs after shooting both while breaking into a house without a warrant! Looks like everything's turning up cops!