As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If You Could Change the World, What Would You Do?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Trying to fix the world economy to be permanently sustainable basically requires a few centuries of absolute cooperation on the part of every single group of people on the planet.

I don't think it's impossible in and of itself, because I think humanity is in fact smart enough to handle it as a whole, but it's just not going to -happen- because humanity isn't that NICE.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Overpopulation is a red herring. It isn't that the world is overpopulated, it's that our lifestyle is unsustainable.

Mostly it's just a lot easier to handle fewer people, and controlling populations tend to breed more slowly than the populations who get all uppity and want or require change.

The problem is that if every human being lived a first-world lifestyle, the maximum population the earth could support is 1-2 billion by multiple estimates.

Furthermore, as countries approach first-world economics, their population growth slows until it approaches the point of economic unsustainability where there aren't enough young productive workers entering the workforce or enough new consumers entering the market. (See Italy and Japan as examples.) The countries that have the most people and the highest birthrates are, in general, not the countries that are most rapidly destroying the environment.

So to solve the problem of sustainability through population, we'd need drastic, immediate negative population growth. That's unlikely to happen and even if it did there would be serious, possibly catastrophic economic side effects. But it's easy to argue for. It's easy to say "we should make less babies" because that doesn't directly affect you. It doesn't require any serious lifestyle sacrifices. Since most people in the first world plan to have fewer than 3 babies anyway for simple financial reasons, arguing for ZPG makes you feel like you're already doing your part. "I'm eco-friendly because I'm not planning on spawning any more humans." Uh, no, you're not. Not as long as you eat food that was grown 300+ miles away and use colossal amounts of energy mostly wrapped up in fossil fuels.

No, what we should do is:

- Drive only when absolutely necessary and use the cleanest-burning cars possible.
    - Grow our own food if possible, or, at the very least eat only food that was grown less than 100 miles from where it was sold.
    - Accept smaller, more easily heated/cooled housing closer to our workplaces.
    - Use heating and air conditioning only when absolutely necessary. Use natural heat, light, and ventilation whenever remotely possible.
    - Put serious economic and legal pressure on developers to build clean, green buildings that utilize natural heat, light, and ventilation in every way possible.
    - Recycle/reuse more.
    - Switching to nuclear couldn't fucking hurt, either.

I'm probably missing a few items in that list, but I think I covered the major ones. Reducing the population in any realistic fashion is not going to do a damn bit of good until we start improving our lifestyles.
    Man, it'd be way easier to just turn this country into Logan's Run. It's not like the old people were doing anything for us other than fucking shit up, anyhow.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    Not really, no. It's no one else's business. I mean, if I'm dating someone, I might mention it to my friends, but no.

If I could change the world, I'd help people to see that gay folks are just like other folks. Who we sleep with and find attractive has nothing to do with our personalities. You know, just like you straight people. The same for people of other races, cultures, etc.

Except Furries. To hell with them.
    Yes, thank you.
    Gay people aren't all hairdresser fashion designers with square rimmed glasses and a latin snap accent.
    I would abolish all stereotypes
    or banish talking about global warming

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Building on what Feral said, I'd like to destroy much of our current infrastructure and replace it with more efficient versions. I mean, we know that things like having suburbs miles away from where we work is A Bad Thing, but the problem is that we can't just, you know, pick up the suburbs and drop them right next door to our offices. Likewise, bikelanes everywhere would be great, but often enough our roads just aren't that wide. So, I'd like to drive along with a bulldozer, taking out inefficient infrastructure and rebuilding it in a more efficient manner with my magical reconstrutive amulet.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Id molest Angelina Jolie 8-)

tracertong on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i wish i had a pony

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seriously?

Pepsi Blue would still be around.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would change...

Absolutely nothing.

One man's definition of perfect is another man's definition of chaos.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd make it so that human brains are capable of learning by being plugged in to computers.

I know kung-fu, bitch!

Seriously though, think about how awesome that would be.

ege02 on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would make ignorance the single greatest social taboo.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Arkady wrote: »
    I would make ignorance the single greatest social taboo.

:|

Sadly, this currently often results in -mandatory ignorance-.

See: Creation Science.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would change the alphabet so that I and U are together.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmm well I'm hard pressed to choose between....

The moment they switch on ITER, it works perfectly delivering a sustainable and high powered fusion reaction requiring no design changes. This would be great for the world, and mean no more worries about energy and pollution.

or...

A breakthrough in transport, it is now possible to be at any point on earth within about 1 hr using some kind of device. Infrastructure required to be installed is minimal so even small cities and towns can have a base station. Costs are trivial, and enviromental impact is as low as a bus or train journey of similar duration. In addition advances in biometrics make border controls quick and effective. Thus I could visit my friends all over the world with ease, and distance would be removed as a factor in relationships.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    fjafjanfjafjan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    I'd make it so that human brains are capable of learning by being plugged in to computers.

I know kung-fu, bitch!

Seriously though, think about how awesome that would be.

Yeah downloading 4chan to your brain would be totally awesome...

*shudder*

fjafjan on
    Yepp, THE Fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
    - "Proving once again the deadliest animal of all ... is the Zoo Keeper" - Philip J Fry
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd make people smile more.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd give myself invulnerability and immortality with careful consideration of all loopholes, i.e. I can still feel, breathe, etc. And the ability to produce a cure for AIDs.

After that I'd move to Africa.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd make girls find me irresistible. Fuck the world's problems.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited September 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    suilimeA wrote: »
    Also, if you've ever known any flaming guys, you know that empathy is definitely not something that most gay guys posess.

Uh, what?

I should explain that further. I kind of forgot about that comment.

I dunno, I just remember that it was something that really bothered me about most of the gay boys in my school back in Oregon, and made me not want to date them. It's mostly the guys who are trying to fit into the gay stereotype, though -- they think it's charming to be callous and sarcastic and shallow and to be constantly insulting people for their appearance/mannerisms/etc.

Oh well. I assume most of them grow out of it.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    ehh... that's probably most teenage boys in general.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited September 2007
    redx wrote: »
    ehh... that's probably most teenage boys in general.

It seemed like they were doing it specifically to fit into a gay stereotype, though, which is kind of sad.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The ability for people to reverse entropy would be pretty fucking cool.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Dead China DollDead China Doll Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would make everyone live in a country/family/culture they absolutely loathe for a year and be forced to be respectful of their beliefs (though they themselves wouldn't have to be subjected to them if they chose not to be).

Experience is the best way to reverse bigotry.

Dead China Doll on
    thechicken.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really don't like threads like this. There are a lot of problems in the world, and they have complex, multi-faceted causes and require equally sophisticated and managed solutions. There's never going to be one thing we can do to fix any of them.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I really don't like threads like this. There are a lot of problems in the world, and they have complex, multi-faceted causes and require equally sophisticated and managed solutions. There's never going to be one thing we can do to fix any of them.

Also about 90% of the posts are comedy fool's gold rather than serious, thoughtful replies. :|

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Thus why all I ask for is tools and time.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd channel all sex and money through me.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hmmm... I think I'd institute profound and universal scientific literacy. That would at the very least go a long way toward solving the world's current problems, and I suspect some of them would be solved outright.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Actually if I had to pick one thing I'd do right the hell now it would be troops out of Iraq and George Bush out of the American presidency (i.e. elections tomorrow for the US).

Because jesusfuck nothing good is coming out of either of those things.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Merovingi wrote: »

BUT.. if I absolutely had to pick one thing to change, it would be to make me more ignorant and naive.

I've (half-seriously) had this wish at various times throughout my life. Basically it would have made all those years of school much, much more enjoyable.

And it would be nice if my biggest concerns in the world were sports and getting laid.

Alas, it's not that simple.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    StarseedStarseed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    All of the classical world* as of 500BCE shall be restored. All pyramids (tombs) and egyptian temples shall be fully restored (inculding mummies and treasure.) Any [modern institutions] that have noticable amounts of treasure shall have it removed. -- Special exception for Alexandria, to the night just before the burning of the Great Libary.

All restored nations shall take the place of the current nations, with indestructable properties attributed to all their works. (Some supermetal we can't ruin. Just so nobody ruins the sphinx' face again. For clarafication: the classical nations CAN build new buildings, with materials in the classical world restored to their former levels.)

As part of above, none of the nations of the classical world can be entered by modern mass migrations or memeonic warfare. (A cap at a thousand people. No weapons. No converting the people of 50 bce.)

It'll mess with the world. (Also will tick off the religions I most hate.)

*Except for the UK. I like britain.

Starseed on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Smasher wrote: »
    Casket wrote: »
    I'd remove the limit on the speed of light.

I know that was probably a joke...

I think he meant: Allow FTL travel.

And the brain works on electric impulses. Not light. (I might only be partially right. Somebody correct me if I goofed.)

Starseed on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    All of the classical world* as of 500BCE shall be restored. All pyramids (tombs) and egyptian temples shall be fully restored (inculding mummies and treasure.) Any [modern institutions] that have noticable amounts of treasure shall have it removed. -- Special exception for Alexandria, to the night just before the burning of the Great Libary.

All restored cities nations shall take the place of the current nations, with indestructable properties attributed to all their works. (Some supermetal we can't ruin. Just so nobody ruins the sphinx' face again. For clarafication: the classical nations CAN build new buildings, with materials in the classical world restored to their former levels.)

As part of above, none of the nations of the classical world can be entered by modern mass migrations or memeonic warfare. (A cap at a thousand people. No weapons. No converting the people of 50 bce.)

It'll mess with the world. (Also will tick off the religions I most hate.)

Starseed on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Starseed wrote: »

And the brain works on electric impulses. Not light. (I might only be partially right. Somebody correct me if I goofed.)

As I recall from Psychology 101, nerve cells actually use ions to modify electrical potentials rather than using real "electricity", as such. You don't have any sparks in your brain, I mean.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Kupi wrote: »
    Starseed wrote: »

As I recall from Psychology 101, nerve cells actually use ions to modify electrical potentials rather than using real "electricity", as such. You don't have any sparks in your brain, I mean.
    Hence it's actually limited by something closer to the speed of sound, and probably even slower then that.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd turn myself into Zeus.
    Sure it wouldn't solve much of the worlds problems, but I'd fling lightning bolts and screw the hottest chicks I could find for the rest of eternity, and that sounds pretty nice.
    I'm pretty sure that last sentence is screaming "I'M SIXTEEN!"

Picardathon on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I would make it so CEOs etc could not make more than 50% of the lowest paid full-time employee. Obviously it could be legal-finegeled out of. What I mean is not a law, but a wish that would be followed in spirit. That would correct alot of problems we have today.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thinatos wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd definitely wish to be absolute, unquestioned dictator of the world.
    Same.

Oh the things I could accomplish.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd go back in time and make it so that "You pay 10% of your yearly salary in taxes" bill actually got through. It wouldn't change the entire world much, I suppose, but it'd sure as hell balance the US economy out just a tad.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Every second you're alive you change the world, I hope everyone is making it a better place.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I'd go back in time and make it so that "You pay 10% of your yearly salary in taxes" bill actually got through. It wouldn't change the entire world much, I suppose, but it'd sure as hell balance the US economy out just a tad.

What? How would a flat tax serve to do anything but widen the rich-poor gap?

Sami on