As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Killer Is Dead] now on Steam, Kill The Past in HD!

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    FSR was on the PS2, then ported to the DS(the only localized version). Silver Case was PS1 and never localized.

Flower, Sun, and Rain is pretty great, but it's also an extended practical joke on the player, so you have to be in the right mindset there.
    Extending the practical joke is one of the worst localization jobs I've ever seen -- to advance the game you have to take a quiz and answer correctly, except the translation frequently switches the answers around so picking the correct answer will fail you. Be prepared to gamefaqs that stuff.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    FSR was on the PS2, then ported to the DS(the only localized version). Silver Case was PS1 and never localized.

Flower, Sun, and Rain is pretty great, but it's also an extended practical joke on the player, so you have to be in the right mindset there.
    Extending the practical joke is one of the worst localization jobs I've ever seen -- to advance the game you have to take a quiz and answer correctly, except the translation frequently switches the answers around so picking the correct answer will fail you. Be prepared to gamefaqs that stuff.

The US or EU versions? Because I believe the US version was improved on. I never noticed. Could be why I couldn't solve so many puzzles...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    You and Jeddy both need to show me the part of my post history on this thread that I said this game can never be criticized, because I just read it over and I'm not seeing it. What I have done however is call into question a bias on the part of reviewers that I consider against the norm and wonder aloud if that bias must be considered when considering their reviews for this game. Reviewers can be as petty and biased as they like, yes. They have no obligation to be able to take a dispassionate stance on games they may not like the content of, yes. They can use their position as a bully pulpit to try and further their political ideas, yes. However if that is the case, do I as a potential consumer not have the right to take these biases into account and contextualize their reviews accordingly?

Is their bias "women are people with equal agency to men and treating them like sex dolls is a really creepy thing to do"? Because I don't want to read a review from anyone who DOESN'T have this 'bias' honestly. The fact that you consider "don't be a creep to 50% of the human population" something that's 'against the norm' is SUPER telling. You might be more right than you know, but that's not exactly something to be celebrated.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly, at the end of the day I think Grasshopper is free to make any game they want.

And at the end of the day you buy it or you don't. Because at the end of the day money is the only thing that really matters in the equation.

I mean I'm not saying you can't criticize, but really most of the back and forth about this stuff usually ends of being a lot of shouting that I don't see serving much purpose.

Also gotta disagree with this. Verbal criticism has a very real effect in this day and age. If sales were all that mattered, why did the XB1 make all these (no doubt) costly policy changes? Being afraid of the loss of future sales? Well, sure but the vehement backlash was a tip that that outcome would occur. Also, awareness is a purpose.

Well, that and actual pre-sales

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    So does this thread actually even talk about the game? Because I came in here to learn about if the game is good and such and instead saw a really silly and overheated internet dick-measuring contest that has nothing to do with the game at all.

The game sucks and that was established many pages ago...

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Also gotta disagree with this. Verbal criticism has a very real effect in this day and age. If sales were all that mattered, why did the XB1 make all these (no doubt) costly policy changes? Being afraid of the loss of future sales? Well, sure but the vehement backlash was a tip that that outcome would occur. Also, awareness is a purpose.

Well, that and actual pre-sales

You answered your own question.

Pre-sales and future sales.

At the end of the day its all about money.

Also, you seem to have misunderstood what I was saying. Yep, yelling on the internet is all nice and good but it doesn't matter if the sales don't match.

But this being a relatively niche game I will say is pretty interesting, since they rarely get sales like that to begin with. So it could go either way.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    So does this thread actually even talk about the game? Because I came in here to learn about if the game is good and such and instead saw a really silly and overheated internet dick-measuring contest that has nothing to do with the game at all.

Except it doesn't and it wasn't.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    gunwarrior wrote: »

Yeah. One opinion, regardless of who it is (I love you surreality kissesxhugs), does not a consensus make.

I literally clicked on this thread ten minutes ago. The game is available in stores. I would like more information about it. I am not prepared to accept the opinions of the three dudes total in this thread who have been nice enough to actually freaking talk about the combat of the game available to play. That is not enough opinions.

I would like to know more. "It sucks" is not more. "It's great" is not more. Both are useless to me. I want details.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I was going to ask how the gameplay compares to Lollipop Chainsaw, because the combat in that game was pretty basic.

Like it wasn't bad or anything, but it felt like window dressing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The gameplay from what I have seen looks rather nice, but I'd prefer looks nice and is interesting to play. If it's just looks nice, which I don't mind per se, I'll probably wait till it comes down a bit. I like the visual style of the game enough for a single playthrough.

I've seen people say it's easy. Does it have later difficulty modes? Are they hard?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Well, as someone who has played a lot of Suda's past games I think its a bit of a style vs. substance thing.

The combat in his games are serviceable but a good deal of their fun comes from how they mix with the game's aesthetics.

And honestly from what I've seen so far it isn't looking all that different here. So if you're looking for a rich experience that you can break down, I'm not sure how much of that there will be.

But I don't have the game and am going completely on what I've seen heard. So yeah, it might be better if someone who actually owns the game go in-depth for that.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I don't mind style over substance I just only ever play that kind of thing once so its not worth high australian prices.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    gunwarrior wrote: »

Yeah. One opinion, regardless of who it is (I love you surreality kissesxhugs), does not a consensus make.

I literally clicked on this thread ten minutes ago. The game is available in stores. I would like more information about it. I am not prepared to accept the opinions of the three dudes total in this thread who have been nice enough to actually freaking talk about the combat of the game available to play. That is not enough opinions.

I would like to know more. "It sucks" is not more. "It's great" is not more. Both are useless to me. I want details.

Yeah sorry I was being a massive douche. Tried to edit but went into a tunnel

• Options
    I don't mind style over substance I just only ever play that kind of thing once so its not worth high australian prices.

Yeah. I got Lollipop Chainsaw on the cheap.

I wouldn't pay full price for it but it was a pretty entertaining way to blow through the weekend.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Fair enough.

It's all cool spaffy I was just a little frustrated. We all say things without thinking at times.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The game is creepy, and not just because of the gigilo missions. It's full on creepy in every single way.

I think whether or not you will enjoy this game is if you enjoy excessively creepy things.

I guess playing the game kind of feels like someone taped a joystick to one of Picasso's vaguely sexual cubist pieces. I'm not really sure I am enjoying it and I definitely have no idea what the fuck is going on.

I have a very long way to go before I'm close to finishing it though. I've played it but I'm not far into it yet. I'll say this: Playing it is more fatiguing than Lollipop Chainsaw was. It's definitely not fun like No More Heroes was. That was a fun game. This is... I dunno.

I'm not trying to say the game is bad here - I just don't know what to say about it. I get the impression that even if I finish the game, I won't know what to say about it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    Actually, I like the combat, it's just not "deep". As you buy and power up moves it becomes much more entertaining. It's goal is to make you feel powerful and that's what it does. Later stages and challenges are filled with explosive enemies, laser shooting eyeballs, and medium difficulty dodge-attack-dodge zombies. If you factor in the story, it's an entertaining romp.

It is very, very weird. I really don't know how everything is going to connect since I haven't finished it but I imagine it won't make any sense.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    The game is creepy, and not just because of the gigilo missions. It's full on creepy in every single way.

I think whether or not you will enjoy this game is if you enjoy excessively creepy things.

I guess playing the game kind of feels like someone taped a joystick to one of Picasso's vaguely sexual cubist pieces. I'm not really sure I am enjoying it and I definitely have no idea what the fuck is going on.

I have a very long way to go before I'm close to finishing it though. I've played it but I'm not far into it yet. I'll say this: Playing it is more fatiguing than Lollipop Chainsaw was. It's definitely not fun like No More Heroes was. That was a fun game. This is... I dunno.

I'm not trying to say the game is bad here - I just don't know what to say about it. I get the impression that even if I finish the game, I won't know what to say about it.

Creepy is Killer 7. THAT game was fucking creepy. I can still picture the laughter sometimes, and it sends a shiver down my spine each time. Not even that, but also some of the just shocking mind-blowing business, as well as some of the cutscenes that literally got gory and disturbing for almost no reason other than to shock the player and make him/her wonder what the hell was going on.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The gameplay from what I have seen looks rather nice, but I'd prefer looks nice and is interesting to play. If it's just looks nice, which I don't mind per se, I'll probably wait till it comes down a bit. I like the visual style of the game enough for a single playthrough.

I've seen people say it's easy. Does it have later difficulty modes? Are they hard?

There's some just-framing going on, from what I've seen. Guardbreaking, too. There's a Stinger.
    Not much vertical. No jump.

PLA on
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »

There's some just-framing going on, from what I've seen. Guardbreaking, too. There's a Stinger.
    Not much vertical. No jump.

Any cancelling?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Haven't seen any, but don't know that there isn't. Free aim on ranged attack, though.

PLA on
  • Options
    norognorog Registered User regular
    I actually like this way more than No More Heroes. I mean, I love Suda51's crazy weird shit, but usually the combat's just janky enough that it turns me off. This one... I'm not 100% sure if it's less janky than usual or if it's my low low expectations going in. Just dodge is nice, and I really like how Mondo's attacks change when you get a good combo streak going.

NOT really a fan of the requisite shooting parts (and turret combat, are you serious) but it's better than sticking jumping puzzles in like every other non-Suda character action game, I guess.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Giant Bomb has a quick look on Killer is Dead. Is there a demo out?

Edit: Ah. It is actually out. Heh. Totally slipped under my radar. I guess I will grab it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I like you get the artbook and DLC on the launch editions at no extra cost. This is how you do it, people.

What I like about Suda games is that they truly have their own style. They are not afraid to have an unusual appearance and step outside the mainstream.

Also, the quicklook is hilarious:

http://youtu.be/S5UHpAUYHl0

Krathoon on
  • Options
    If they put Suda and Miyamoto together, they would make something amazing.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I would love to see Grasshopper and Platinum make a game together.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Grasshopper and Platinum would be a more likely combo. Miyamoto might want to keep things too clean.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    The closets we got was Shadows of the Damned.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Picked up my copy for '$44.99' because I picked up a pro membership with it at GS. I think it'll balance out.

I love that it's a bonafide full OST. Atlus kind of dropped the ball on doing those. Should have my thoughts once I finish Sniper Elite V2(which is great by the way).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Really, instead of collector's editions, games should have release editions like this. I really doubt it would hurt a company to have extras like this on a first print run.

• Options
    Up to Chapter 3. Love the style so far. Not sure about the gameplay, but the story is ace(refreshing change, and a Grasshopper norm).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Did the first Gigolo mission. Offensive is hardly the word that came to mind. Hilarious was more apt.

Surprised how similar it is to NMH. Even has Dark Side Dodging.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I picked this up in the store and showed it to my girlfriend. She was interested until I flipped it around and she saw the main character on the front, whereup she exclaimed "Eugh" and lost interest. It was her "God damn that guy is creepy" reaction noise. Just found that first reaction pretty amusing.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Here's a PS3-friendly wallpaper.

http://abload.de/image.php?img=killerisdeadr4j7u.png

killerisdeadr4j7u.png

Finished Episode 6.

I think this could've easily been NMH3. It's that good.

Probably going to wind up topping NMH2 for me, mostly because of how classy Mondo is and the general insanity that NMH2 lacked.

Also, much like NMH, I expect the game will really shine on Hard, and Normal's been no pushover. Mondo loses health with a quickness.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Man. This game kinda blipped off the radar. Not seeing much on it. I have it, but I have not had any time to play it.

• Options
    Chapter 10 was amazing. It's a truly good game, real good even.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    This is the second Grasshopper game - excluding portable and non-localised titles - I've yet to finish since the release of Killer7. Whereas I gave up on Lollipop Chainsaw after a couple of hours due to being bored with the clunky gameplay, the Godawful screen tearing in KiD is what's preventing me from going back. It's just too distracting, especially when combined with regular frame rate hitches.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    I never really notice things like that. I think I'm too accepting of glitches.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Finished it yesterday. Crazy ending, and it went right into NMH1 territory,
    what with the family ties and all that. Kill The Past, indeed.

A+ will play again.

That said, here's some highlights in gif form. NSF56k and all that(and probably NSFW since they're from the gigolo scenes).

http://i.minus.com/iF8K9fswWoTOE.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/jQGuxeG.gif
    http://i.minus.com/itLfxmrWiNART.gif

The Scarlett close up was comedy gold.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    So I got this as a belated Christmas present from my brother, and yep, it's a Grasshopper joint all right. I'm only 4 chapters in, but gameplay seems to be solid and the weirdness factor is in full effect. Haven't tried any gigolo missions yet, so I don't really know what to expect.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    So I got this as a belated Christmas present from my brother, and yep, it's a Grasshopper joint all right. I'm only 4 chapters in, but gameplay seems to be solid and the weirdness factor is in full effect. Haven't tried any gigolo missions yet, so I don't really know what to expect.

Boredom.

The rest of the game seems fun, though. I started playing it the other day myself, made it a few episodes in and then mucked about with some of the side stuff, including the Sebastian mission...which gave me quite a bit of upgrade material. Maybe I was supposed to wait on that one.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!