As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

• Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    its called .005 art pen

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Damn.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Damn.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have to say that after reading the 2nd edition of the Warhammer RPG that I wished that more games, both tabletop and computer, had a magic system that really showed the inherit dangers of magic. Sure, you can fry a small town when your character starts out but if things go to hell they really go straight to hell.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I think the magic system is the best part of 2E and the best magic system I've seen in an RPG. Makes you wonder what Pramas and crew could have come up with if they'd discarded most of the V1 rules.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Allon wrote:
    I advice you to send me that copy Marienburg: StdR in the mail.
    You might pick up some chaos taint if you hold on to it for too long.

Is it particularly hard to find now? I'd not really given it much thought. It's a shame if so, as I'd love to get some similar books for the fluff.

Edit: That Kurt Helborg model looks awesome. Would love to see it from different angles, the paint job looks incredible.

Is it hard to find?
    Let's see what the ol' invisible hand has to say...

Thanks Supply! You fucking bastard! :x

Allon on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I bought Skull Pass this last weekend. I wish I could schedule my time rigidly, so I could know when to expect all this shit to get done...

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This thread is moving pretty slowly. I picked up my paints today, as well as some zombies to serve as guinea pigs while I get back into practice. I'll post pics when I start painting, probably tomorrow.

I hope my primer spray still works, its been ages since I used it... I'm not exactly adverse to going without, on plastics at least, if it doesn't.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    In my experience old spray primer is 'dustier'; you may have to apply it more slowly or with more coats, be closer to the models and use more ventilation. I've got a can of white like that but there doesn't seem to be an issue with how thick or textured it ends up. It didn't affect my painting and should allow for good painting standards.

I've still got an interest in building a small or mid-sized Bretonnian army with a pair of army boxed sets. That'd net me something like 16 Knights, 6 Pegasus Knights, and 32 of Bowmen and Men-at-Arms each for a good price, and that's about the sort of composition of Knights of the Realm and peasant units I'd prefer (I didn't intend of having the Pegasus but I've read they're good units to have). I don't have their army book currently so I only know their quick reference stats and a few units' basic costs. If anyone wants to share a quickly built list using those units or discuss good options I'd be gratefully interested.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Bretonnians are up there with lizardmen on the list of boring 5th edition armies. Well, actually those are the only two, but still. However, in 6th edition, they darkened them up a bit so they aren't all bad, and I like the men at arms.

Pegasus Knights are pure cheese, from what I hear. Flying circus units. :D

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That new spell in Lore of Metal 7th ed will probably put a damn fine dent in Bretts. Can single a model out of a unit (army general), allows no armor save and its strength scales with how much armor the target has. And best of all its the first one on the list so you don't even have to rely on luck to get it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    That new spell in Lore of Metal 7th ed will probably put a damn fine dent in Bretts. Can single a model out of a unit (army general), allows no armor save and its strength scales with how much armor the target has. And best of all its the first one on the list so you don't even have to rely on luck to get it.

It is indeed pretty badass.

Just so everyone knows, I beat Riemann's elves into the ground this weekend.*

*[spoiler:f876e955de]This is an outright lie. He destroyed me.[/spoiler:f876e955de]

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

It is indeed pretty badass.

Just so everyone knows, I beat Riemann's elves into the ground this weekend.*

*[spoiler:059f01cc3b]This is an outright lie. He destroyed me.[/spoiler:059f01cc3b]

For shame! Maybe if you fielded 6 cavalry eating rat ogres like I do, you would have pulled through. :P

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    I finally picked upp Skull Pass and the rulebook.

Also, The Witch Hunter's Handbook. It's very cute. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006

For shame! Maybe if you fielded 6 cavalry eating rat ogres like I do, you would have pulled through. :P

I tried the "go ahead and shoot it no panic lol" US4 single rat ogre. Then maneuvered poorly, so it got blowed up and charged.

I also horribly botched my slave bait, so I wasn't able to pin him down with counter-charges. It was pretty ugly.

edit: Witch Hunter's handbook?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

A small black faux-leather book, written in-character by some old zealous witch hunter.

Lots of juicy info on how to find and keel witches and heretics.

Echo on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

fuck this spell, fuck it in its dirty brown bunghole.

disclaimer : I play chaos and my knights were raped quite cruelly by this spell last night.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Morskittar wrote:

A small black faux-leather book, written in-character by some old zealous witch hunter.

Lots of juicy info on how to find and keel witches and heretics.

Dangit... well, someone will already be getting me the Sigmar incharacter book for Christmas, guess I'll be the one picking this one up.

Will sit nicely next to my 40K Infantryman's Uplifting Primer and Chaos Libers (I'm a sucker for incharacter books...)

So much for my "No more buying things this year" policy...

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

I tried the "go ahead and shoot it no panic lol" US4 single rat ogre. Then maneuvered poorly, so it got blowed up and charged.

I also horribly botched my slave bait, so I wasn't able to pin him down with counter-charges. It was pretty ugly.

Well, at any rate, your losses will quickly be replaced by newly bred skaven, while his will not. Be sure to remind him of that.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006

Well, at any rate, your losses will quickly be replaced by newly bred skaven, while his will not. Be sure to remind him of that.

I already poisoned the drinks in his fridge and I plan on giving his child sugar and maybe caffeine next time I'm there.

There's always the next game. I'm all about settling on a standardized 1k army at the moment... I'm really leaning toward nothing but warlord clan troops.

Also, I may cut out swarms completely.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

Swarms are terrible. I have never seen them do anything but waste points. With the new rules, they are even worse! Use slaves instead, and put the extra points into some poison wind globadiers or more jezzails or something.

Anyhow, turns out I had 3 cans of black primer and one can of goblin green (?). No clue why, seeing as how orcs use black undercoat. Took alot of shaking, but it still works, just needed a bit of extra spraying to get a clean coat. I shall begin going to work on my zombie test subjects.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

Swarms are terrible. I have never seen them do anything but waste points. With the new rules, they are even worse! Use slaves instead, and put the extra points into some poison wind globadiers or more jezzails or something.

Anyhow, turns out I had 3 cans of black primer and one can of goblin green (?). No clue why, seeing as how orcs use black undercoat. Took alot of shaking, but it still works, just needed a bit of extra spraying to get a clean coat. I shall begin going to work on my zombie test subjects.

Swarms have been a lynchpin in my army for a decade... with the nerfing, it turns out they're a bit of a crutch. The old ability to catch even cav charges and hold for a few turns was enough to usually allow me to deliver my killer flanking units. Without that, I'm gonna have to actually learn some new tactics. At 45 a pop, I don't think swarms will be part of it
    maybe 10-15 points less, but not 45. At this point, they're basically no more useful than a unit of five or six night runners, although they do have the "nobody cares" benefit. Also, with 5 attacks each, they'll still be awesome at raping weapon crews.

From what I've seen, under 7th, the classic horde army is a bit tougher to play. I'm really considering using Stormvermin at 1k, even in a smaller unit. I'd also like to find good guards for engineers.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:

Swarms in 6th ed rocked. At least against High Elves. Those damn things used to cause me no end of trouble. They are much less of a bother now :)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Swarms in 6th ed rocked. At least against High Elves. Those damn things used to cause me no end of trouble. They are much less of a bother now :)

I certainly won't bother to use them. Two gutter runner units at half the points are just as useful.

Really, though, I'm not sure what to do against high elves at the moment. Shut down that damn mage, maybe. Army list changes aside, though, I was skillfully beat down.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Well, whats he killing you with? Heavy Cavalry? I'd put in some poison wind units in between your clanrats if so. And maybe a ratling gun. I've not used them for that purpose, but maybe a full unit of 3-4 rat ogres to take them head on? Jezzails should be good, too.

If its fast cavalry, thats trickier. Gutter runners and some cheap units to guard the flanks.

Anyhow, 4 hours for 5 zombies. I don't think I feel like finishing the unit any time soon, my back hurts. D: I'll post pics when I get around to it. I don't have the software on my PC so posting pics from the digicam is alot of trouble.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Don't have my list with me, but as I recall my army (1000pt) was something like this:

Core
    15 Spearmen, banner
    15 Spearmen, banner
    5 Silver Helms, full command, war baner

Special
    1 Chariot
    5 Reavers

Rare
    1 Repeater Bolt Thrower (was killed on the first spell of the first turn and never fired a shot)

1 Level 2 Mage. Silver Wand (+1 power dice). Ring of Corin (bound spell of Fury of Khaine). Lore of fire. Had spells 1 and 3 (fireball and that neat flaming skull spell)

Edit: The mage was mounted and in the unit of Reavers. They were galloping all over the place while he blasted away with his spells.

Further edit: It's not a specialized army. A sort of "combined arms" approach. Got some good core infantry, a little heavy cav, a little shooting, some support in the form the of chariot and 1 character to provide some magic firepower.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:
    I certainly won't bother to use them. Two gutter runner units at half the points are just as useful.
    Swarms are unbreakable, though, which is sort of the whole reason you take 'em. They're good for pinning stuff in place, though expensive.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Is it just me, or do the two pieces of that goblin tent thing in Skull Pass not fit together at all? I had to cut away the two lower pins that are supposed to match the holes on the other part. They didn't match at all. :x

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Morskittar wrote:
    Swarms are unbreakable, though, which is sort of the whole reason you take 'em. They're good for pinning stuff in place, though expensive.

Unbreakable but now they take damage from combat res (like Undead). Hence they don't pin for long anymore.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Don't have my list with me, but as I recall my army (1000pt) was something like this:

Core
    15 Spearmen, banner
    15 Spearmen, banner
    5 Silver Helms, full command, war baner

Special
    1 Chariot
    5 Reavers

Rare
    1 Repeater Bolt Thrower (was killed on the first spell of the first turn and never fired a shot)

1 Level 2 Mage. Silver Wand (+1 power dice). Ring of Corin (bound spell of Fury of Khaine). Lore of fire. Had spells 1 and 3 (fireball and that neat flaming skull spell)

Edit: The mage was mounted and in the unit of Reavers. They were galloping all over the place while he blasted away with his spells.

Further edit: It's not a specialized army. A sort of "combined arms" approach. Got some good core infantry, a little heavy cav, a little shooting, some support in the form the of chariot and 1 character to provide some magic firepower.

It was really the fast cav, mage, and chariot that did me in. Just couldn't pin them down and grind through the other stuff fast enough.

I had:

Chieftan
    BSB Swarm Banner
    Warlock Engineer

30 Clanrats
    30 Clanrats
    20 Slaves
    20 Slaves
    2 Swarms
    1 Warpfire Thrower
    3 Globadiers
    3 Globadiers

1 Rat Ogre

Something of an experiment with all the little support units, I had three major problems: the fast stuff (reavers and chariot), the small table (got in my own way and botched charge arcs), and the mage, who was devastating a few of the small units every turn.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Fun With MetricsFun With Metrics Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So, it has been awhile since I've played ( or posted for that matter), and now I have a hankering to get back into it, thanks to this forum and a friend. I was thinking of starting new and was taking a look at Ogre Kingdoms. I was reading up about them on the offical site and army book, but was wondering on what some of your guys' opinions were about them.

Also, do the new rules affect Ogre Kingdoms at all? If they do, Harmful or in a postive way?

All help's appricated.

Fun With Metrics on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    First the OK should be approached with the same attitude as you would approach an Orc&Goblin army; any attempt to take them seriously will eind in either failure or constipation.

Now, that is not to say that they cn't be a competitive army, far from it; your basic troops have M6, thee wounds and three attacks each, every butcher (wizard) knows every spell and can cast each one as many times as you have the dice to power them and the gnoblars all have missile weapons, which can be surprisingly effective.

Of course, there are always things to watch out for: Ogre units are now almost never going to get rank bonuses in combat, but they hardly ever got them anyway. Cavalry are the bane of ogres, shoot the hell out of them before they can charge, or charge them if you can. Also, watch out for fast skirmishing foot troops who won't let you pin them down in a proper combat.

Overall, one of the funnest and most balanced armies out there (surprisingly enough), a good choice for a veteran looking for something different as a challenge.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Rawr, zombies! I feel they might be a little "white", and am worried about whether they would stand out enough from a unit of skeletons.

zombies.jpg

First models I've painted in 2 years. What do you think?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think they're awesome!

If you think they're a bit too white just give them a really watered down washing of green ink.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Look great to me. If you're worried about skeleton confusion you could always find a way to make the skeletons themselves more seperate from the zombies. Perhaps have them be a really dirty bone colour as opposed to the white your zombies have.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Thanks. :D

I somehow forgot to pick up green ink, but I'll get some next time I stop by the store.

I don't actually play Vampire counts(yet), but if I pick up some skeletons, painting them with a brown basing might be a good idea.\

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Thanks. :D

I somehow forgot to pick up green ink, but I'll get some next time I stop by the store.

I don't actually play Vampire counts(yet), but if I pick up some skeletons, painting them with a brown basing might be a good idea.\

Hrmm, that's another thing. The green, lush grass on the zombies. While it looks really nice, does somewhat seem out of place.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Ah, I have the whole "In the lush, green battlefields of WH40k 2nd edition, there is only grass" thing going? :lol:

Most gaming tables, though, are green, and they aren't fighting in the graveyards they were raised from. Tombstones and the like would be equally out of place, imo.

I meant brown base coat, actually. I don't have any brown flock or sand with me to do the model bases different, and it doesn't look bad to me.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Those look good Disruptor.

Supersuga's got a good point: make your skeletons a warm brown/bone color, they'll be distinct. I like the pale whitish flesh look on the zombies.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.