Options

Want [chat] liberation?

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey there's a monthly enrichment, and you fuckers can draw. Post something.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    evidence suggest that I cannot in fact draw!

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    you fuckers can draw.

who told you that

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    Oh yeah aerons are the shit hey, I got one half off from a video game studio that was downsizing, totally worth it. I even tried out the other models Herman Miller had leant me and they all bothered my back.

I'm feeling kind of low at the moment, I really like the people I work with and it's kinda sad knowing I won't be working with them anymore, but I still feel like this is for the best and that it'll be exciting working with new people and having new challenges, I've just never left a company on good terms with people I actually respect. I'm not good at life changes. I was that kid that was crying and clinging to her mom not wanting anything to do with kindergarten.

• Options
    Oh wow, I just received a first year anniversary badge, that's crazy!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I managed to Awesome, Agree, and Raven the last three posts.

C-C-Combo breaker or something

Also @Iruka I am hella confused if I've already "awesomed" a post or posted in a thread now...I'm like, "who's avatar is that I-OH DAMMIT."

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I had to pass up a sweet freelance gig because it would have been a conflict of interest with my current employer. Uggggh, ethics!

• Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    Just spent a couple of weeks thinking about what to do when my contract runs out, and it seemed like the only option was to be an unemployed artist-hobo.

As a last ditch effort, I talked to one of the managers at work and she actually cut me a deal so I can work part-time, which is pretty much what I wanted anyways. Not bad life. not too bad at all. Might be able to save up to go to LA and paint this fall after all now.

• Options
    LukeDangerouslyLukeDangerously Registered User regular
    Bought plane tickets for pax east. I'm starting to get excited/nervous about the whole thing. I've never been outside the 100 miles surrounding my hometown by myself before. Mostly excited, but also certain I'm gonna get axe murdered in Boston or arrested by the TSA or something and not have any older wiser people there to coach me through it.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Sonofa bitch, I just realized with my last sculpture I forgot to take a pic of the finished product before I packaged it up. Guess I can post my first paint through for critiques or unbox it. I'm actually thinking I'm going to do a couple anatomy studies via sculpture for the enrichment thread.

I'm getting pretty into this sculpturing stuff though, after these next couple clay ones I'm gonna give wood carving a shot.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Just picked up a record art coffee table book for like $20 bucks. Hahahaha

Now I have to buy a coffee table.

Didn't really think that through.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Bought plane tickets for pax east. I'm starting to get excited/nervous about the whole thing. I've never been outside the 100 miles surrounding my hometown by myself before. Mostly excited, but also certain I'm gonna get axe murdered in Boston or arrested by the TSA or something and not have any older wiser people there to coach me through it.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket and take a shower. There, you're already ahead of the game compared to most convention attendees everywhere.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    I always opt out and request the gentle caress of the patdown by a fellow lady. I remember one year after Defcon in vegas the tsa agent said "We got another one." Which made me feel like yeah that's right you got another one, fuck the man.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Kallisti wrote: »
    I always opt out and request the gentle caress of the patdown by a fellow lady.

Way to unnecessarily make a boring and intrusive everyday annoyance sound scrambled-cable-channel sexy.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    these cross counters help to create depth in a form, right? not sure if that's the proper way of saying it

• Options
    Cross contours, you mean. Yes, they can be used to create depth in a form, but they are also useful at a construction stage of a drawing to make sure that you actually understand what's going on with the surface of a form (it's easy to get wrapped up in trying to get the outer contours right, and then have no idea how to shade the thing because no thought has been given to what goes between them).
    Obviously in a finished drawing you can't just go around wrapping lines over everything to create form because it'd make everything look like it's been mummified, but you can use the same principle to figure out what lines to push for foreshortening effects, and to determine the direction of hatch marks to help sell the illusion of form a bit more.

• Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    Working across the form in a cross contour can add to the solidity of the form, but it's not really a magic depth-creating device. Some artists paint along the form, not across (look at Zorn's stuff), and they still have wonderful depth.

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    So I was just contracted to do 4 pitch paintings for a creative team who has written a book/manuscript and their end goal is to pitch is as a tv series or videogame. They sent me a work for hire contract and I understand a lot of it, but this part I don't really get.
    Credit for the work shall read: Artwork by Sam Carlson (obilex.com), provided that a substantial
    portion of Artist's work is used in [Creative Team]'s final product. Artist will be attached to [Project Name] as 'graphic artist' if project is purchased or optioned by third party.

What does it mean to be attached as a graphic artist moving forward?

• Options
    I would think it means that you'd be appear in the credits as "Graphic Artist: Sam Carlson" if the project is bought out by somebody else.

If it gets bought out, whoever bought it might throw out everything you did and hire whatever other crew to do the artwork going forward (sucks, but it happens), so crediting as "Artwork by Sam Carlson" wouldn't make sense (because it makes it seem like you did all the art for the entire project) if your work never appeared in the game/show anywhere, but this way you still are credited as contributing. If there's an issue to be had here, you may want to ask to be credited as something more specific (Concept Artist? Pitch Artist? Visual Design by? etc.) rather than Graphic Artist, which is kinda vague.

• Options
    I'm not 100% okay with the fact that they have an undefined term ("substantial"), and use that undefined term to determine whether or not you're credited at all. What does "substantial" even mean against 4 paintings? Have they defined what the "final product" is?

I'm honestly not sure about the question you originally asked, but in contracts like this I really prefer things to be explicitly laid out so there is zero room for more than one interpretation.

• Options
    Jennifer Butt?

• Options
    I'm not 100% okay with the fact that they have an undefined term ("substantial"), and use that undefined term to determine whether or not you're credited at all. What does "substantial" even mean against 4 paintings? Have they defined what the "final product" is?

I'm honestly not sure about the question you originally asked, but in contracts like this I really prefer things to be explicitly laid out so there is zero room for more than one interpretation.

This is also a good point.

(And today I learn I should be more savvy when reading these things. Outsmarted by a butt, embarrassing.)

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I've got a new job starting on Tuesday. I'm pretty stoked about it.

• Options
    YAYYY got my special "long form" birth certificate that apparently you need to get your passport and they didn't mess up and send me the wrong one and YAY I actually went to the post office and submitted my application without issue and got it expedited just in case, for my peace of mind so YAYYYY

Step 1 of 1,000 completed! :D:D:D Anxiety lessened by 10.7%!

• Options
    Make sure to review all your passport information carefully after you receive it. Nothing like noticing that your name is misspelled with a TSA agent.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    "ManicToaster"

• Options
    TragicToaster.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Make sure to review all your passport information carefully after you receive it. Nothing like noticing that your name is misspelled with a TSA agent.

I'm the type of person who is Anxiety Queen about these things, and I triple-check everything. It's super stressful at first, but it also allows me the comfort of knowing that once everything is in motion, there is nothing for me to worry about because I've made sure everything is accurate and thought-through and such.

I also know somebody who took 3 weeks off from work to go to Russia...they landed in Russia, and realized that there had been a misunderstanding with what they were supposed to have with them (some official-type person had given them incorrect info)...so they had to sit in the Russian airport, fly back to the states, and spend the next three weeks at home.

Effing brutal.

So yeah, you'd better believe I'm checking everything twice thrice. That's actually why I got the application expedited. I probably didn't need to, but I wanted a fair amount of buffer time to correct any problems that might arise, like that. Sometimes being paranoid can have its perks! If anything goes wrong, I want it to go wrong in the states, months before I leave, so I can correct it.

In other wonderful news, we booked the flights and one of the hotels last night!!! :D Another 10% anxiety reduced.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Whats on your itinerary? Any interesting places to see?

BTW, are you going alone or with friends?

Edit:
    I was finally able to enrol in some figure drawing classes after an unexpected freelance came my way. Wooo! It's been a couple of years since I did it last. I'm also kinda eager to test my language skills in a class environment.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Hooray trips! Just got back last night from two days in Copenhagen and six days in Paris.

It already seems too short. Idon'twannagotoworktomorrow.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Also I hope you gave yourself a buffer day when you get back @NightDragon‌

I woke up at 4 last night and it was a devil of a time getting back to sleep. And my body can't decide if its sleepy or awake.

*edit

Ugh god its only 5:30pm

I want to go to bed so badly

Why are you not midnight yet

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNCH6uhB_Bs#t=24

This is cool
    It's like that part from attack on titan, but in real life. They need 3d maneuver gear

ninjai on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm super excited. My favorite band just announced the name and track list of their new album and I already preordered the vinyl package. I should be able to find a record player by then.

• Options
    Whats on your itinerary? Any interesting places to see?

BTW, are you going alone or with friends?

Goin' with my boyfriend, and we're planning on seeing lots of old ruins/castles/cathedrals and historic sites, and also some cool nature-y bits. Notably the Book of Kells, Cliffs of Moher (and the Aran Islands), Giant's Causeway (and Belfast and Carrick-a-rede bridge), Killarney National Park, Blarney Castle, etc. We're going to see quite a lot, but I made sure we wouldn't be overdoing it on any particular day. In a lot of cases what we'll be seeing are within walking distance of our hotel (we're staying in 3 different places), or at most just over an hour's drive away. I got two day-trip tours for the Super Long days, so that we wouldn't have to worry about transportation or anything, but we'd be able to see a lot on those days. Figured that would be less stressful than driving ourselves. :)
    Also I hope you gave yourself a buffer day when you get back @NightDragon‌

I woke up at 4 last night and it was a devil of a time getting back to sleep. And my body can't decide if its sleepy or awake.

Oh yes. We'll have 2.5 days to recover before returning to work. Also made sure that the first day we get to Ireland, we have nothing planned. Definitely made sure of buffer time for that, too. :P

Guys I am excite

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm super excited. My favorite band just announced the name and track list of their new album and I already preordered the vinyl package. I should be able to find a record player by then.
    Welcome to the joy of vinyl collecting.

I buy way more music nowadays since getting into vinyl because I can get a collectible(the vinyl) and support bands directly at shows. Plus they usually come with a download of the album so its almost a 2-for-1.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    A while back I drove out to the DMV and they wouldn't accept my passport because it didn't list my middle initial but my Drivers License did. Fuckers.

• Options
    Question, do most people keep their passports up to date regardless of whether they travel a lot, just in case? Or does everyone panic renew them when they schedule a trip somewhere?

Mine expired 10 years ago and I occasionally think, 'maybe I should get this renewed', but don't know if it's worth the money/hassle considering I haven't actually gone to a non-Canada foreign country in 15 years. and don't have any actual for-real set plans to do so in the future. I guess it'd make filling out I-9 forms simpler?

• Options
    Question, do most people keep their passports up to date regardless of whether they travel a lot, just in case? Or does everyone panic renew them when they schedule a trip somewhere?

Mine expired 10 years ago and I occasionally think, 'maybe I should get this renewed', but don't know if it's worth the money/hassle considering I haven't actually gone to a non-Canada foreign country in 15 years. and don't have any actual for-real set plans to do so in the future. I guess it'd make filling out I-9 forms simpler?

I think if your passport has been expired for that long, you basically have to apply all over again, as if it was the first time you were getting your passport. If it's been expired for a certain number of years they no longer consider it a simple renewal.

I get the sense that people generally don't care to keep it up to date unless they're regular travelers, or they have a trip planned in the future.

If you're only renewing it once every ten years, IMO that's pretty easy to do, especially when you don't have to scramble to get it done right before a trip.

Alternatively, you could just wait until 3-6 months before you leave on a trip you know you're going on, which seems like enough time to get it done and fix any issues that might pop up.

Personally I'm going to keep mine up to date because I really want to travel throughout my life, but if it's not a planned thing for you, I'd imagine you could get away with not doing it until you need to.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I ... well I travel a lot, I guess. It sounds super weird to me to not have a current passport.

nowadays i also tend to get shipped off to work events in europe at three or four days notice, so that makes it extra necessary.

This discussion has been closed.