As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX [registration] Is Still Coming

• Options
    Que_QuesQue_Ques Registered User regular
    So rob tweets on his personal account that they won't be selling tickets over the weekend.. but does not bother to tweet this on the "Official_PAX"? WTF come on.. it's not that hard to think of others. This guy really needs to hire someone to think for him.

• Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    Hola, those of you who are here today! I know we're free until next week, but I just can't help but hang out here now. You guys are a pleasant oasis in the drudgery of my workday. :smiley:

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    RandorammaRandoramma Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Que_Ques wrote: »
    So rob tweets on his personal account that they won't be selling tickets over the weekend.. but does not bother to tweet this on the "Official_PAX"? WTF come on.. it's not that hard to think of others. This guy really needs to hire someone to think for him.
    lighten up francis.

zerzhul on
    PAX Prime '09 '10 '12 '13 '14
  • Options
    fernee206fernee206 Registered User regular
    Have a great weekend everyone!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think that someone who has built an empire out of a webcomic is not someone who needs to hire someone to think.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think that someone who has built an empire out of a webcomic is not someone who needs to hire someone to think.

People change, he "did" do that, but clearly managing an expo is not his strong suite. Just because he is great at one thing does not make him great at everything. When dealing with people who are already upset over the whole PA club thing and taking longer than normal to get ticket sales going it's best not to upset them more.

This year's tickets have been a disaster so far.

• Options
    You're obviously entitled to your opinion. I personally don't think that not tweeting via official_pax yesterday makes Robert suddenly in need of someone to think for him.

• Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular

People change, he "did" do that, but clearly managing an expo is not his strong suite. Just because he is great at one thing does not make him great at everything. When dealing with people who are already upset over the whole PA club thing and taking longer than normal to get ticket sales going it's best not to upset them more.

I can agree that there's been problems. However, Khoo does more than run 4 Paxen a year. He also has to organize things beforehand! You can't put it all together in a day, or even a week. Calling him stupid isn't fair and you know it. You're saying it because you're mad.

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • Options
    You're obviously entitled to your opinion. I personally don't think that not tweeting via official_pax yesterday makes Robert suddenly in need of someone to think for him.

I agree, that one thing does not make him incompetent. However the laundry list of items like selling tickets to club PA and telling them to keep it a secret, making people waste their weekends waiting for something that might not show up, taking over a whole month compared to previous years to post tickets.

Does that sound like someone who has a good understanding of the situation? They are not making a webcomic, they are putting together an expo.. big difference.

• Options
    I agree, that one thing does not make him incompetent. However the laundry list of items like selling tickets to club PA and telling them to keep it a secret, making people waste their weekends waiting for something that might not show up, taking over a whole month compared to previous years to post tickets.

Does that sound like someone who has a good understanding of the situation? They are not making a webcomic, they are putting together an expo.. big difference.
    I suppose it depends on your perspective. I'm pretty sure PAX is going to sell out, tons of people are going to go and have a great time. Is that the only metric? No, but I don't think that being later in the year for registration this one time is going to make much of a blip in the history of PAX. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

• Options
    LindabearLindabear Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

I can agree that there's been problems. However, Khoo does more than run 4 Paxen a year. He also has to organize things beforehand! You can't put it all together in a day, or even a week. Calling him stupid isn't fair and you know it. You're saying it because you're mad.

I agree with World of Bird -- These things aren't easy to plan, and planning an expo takes a lot of effort and the right resources. I could barely handle planning for events in college, let alone an expo. Have a little bit of respect for the guy, eesh. It's probably taking forever because of all the rage people had from last year's ticket sales. It's a stressful thing.

I won't comment on the whole Club PA thing. Stuff like that is always going to get out.

Bottom line is, no matter what he does---there's always going to be someone who isn't happy about it and well, that sucks I guess.

Lindabear on
    PAX Prime 2013 [X]
    PAX Prime 2014 [X]
    PAX Prime 2015 [X]
  • Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

I forgot, but doesn't Khoo also run the business side of PA? They said he helped them get back the rights to their own comic after botching something, which isn't hard to do with legalese.

I can agree it's been frustrating, but I've been wondering about something: What could be happening behind the scenes? Are there reasons that the badges haven't gone on sale sooner? Maybe some really tough ones that can't be helped? And I'd like to ask you this too: Would you be able to take on all he does without trouble? I bet it's harder than you think it is.

The Word of Bird on
    Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • Options
    Rita RouletteRita Roulette Leaf on the Wind Alberta, CanadaRegistered User regular

I'd argue that this was self-inflicted, as far as the "wasting weekends" thing. The official twitter is there to say when stuff WILL be on sale, not when it won't be. I think he's been pretty nice to let us know when we can expect any downtime at all... I'm just as jittery as the next F5-er, but they have more to worry about than if we're paranoid about a possible weekend sale that has never occurred in the past.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So, just to double check since I skipped the last 300 posts (normally I read them all, but I'm starting to think I spend too much time on the forums as it is.) No tickets on sale today, saturday and sunday?

• Options
    So, just to double check since I skipped the last 300 posts (normally I read them all, but I'm starting to think I spend too much time on the forums as it is.) No tickets on sale today, saturday and sunday?
    The tweet said not this Memorial Weekend. I have no idea if that counts Friday, but it may count Monday.

Gaming since 1986.
  • Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular

Yep! Or Monday, either. Robert Khoo told everyone to go enjoy their Memorial Day weekend because badges won't be sold during it.

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    soozerella wrote: »

Yep! Or Monday, either. Robert Khoo told everyone to go enjoy their Memorial Day weekend because badges won't be sold during it.
    Maybe it's just because I don't count today as part of it. I'm working Friday-Mon anyway. I checked my schedule Monday, and I'll have a long day! 3pm-11:30! *yawns* Retail doesn't get a day off for it. At least it seems I can get sleep in the morning though, which should be good!

The Word of Bird on
    Gaming since 1986.
  • Options
    jakepeter11jakepeter11 Registered User regular
    Yay! I guess next Wednesday? That's my next F5 day. Unless they are waiting until June, which would be so weird, but I guess it's a thing. Have a great weekend everyone :D

The man with a plan in a can | Pun extraordinaire | Human
  • Options
    shortnowshortnow Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Opens a sleepy eye...
    So Rob tweets on his personal account that they won't be selling tickets over the weekend.. but does not bother to tweet this on the "Official_PAX"? WTF come on.. it's not that hard to think of others. This guy really needs to hire someone to think for him.

I don't see a reason for Khoo to hire anyone. That would just increase the cost of PA doing business..

Khoo can obviously rely on some helpful people to Tweet him with reminders, requests, and questions!

There's no reason that you, Que_Ques, can't just take a few minutes to let Robert Khoo know what you think he should be doing, too.

o:)

/not that I wouldn't KILL to be Robert Khoo's assistant minion

• Options

I suppose it depends on your perspective. I'm pretty sure PAX is going to sell out, tons of people are going to go and have a great time. Is that the only metric? No, but I don't think that being later in the year for registration this one time is going to make much of a blip in the history of PAX. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I do agree that PAX will sell out, but upsetting people along the way is no solution. I already know of 6 people who have staid they are not going this year because of these events and another who only now wants a sat pass because he does not want to spend the next month camping his computer. Making people camp is fine up to a point and that point has come and gone.

Yes planning an expo is no easy feint.. and it's not Khoo's strong suite. For those who say they will announce it on twitter when tickets go on sale.. look at last year. They did that after all the 4 day passes were sold and most of the fri/sat passes.

They just need to have a few people sit down and think of a good solution for tickets.. not just repeat the same mistakes every year hoping it will be different.. did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Given that tickets sell out insanely fast to people that want to attend PAX, they may not think they have a problem in need of a solution, other than that there are more people that want to go to pax than can fit into pax (hence making more paxes).

There's plenty of avenues for feedback for each PAX if you want to give them your feedback. They don't really read the forums often.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    JasonGreveJasonGreve Gamer Registered User regular

I do agree that PAX will sell out, but upsetting people along the way is no solution. I already know of 6 people who have staid they are not going this year because of these events and another who only now wants a sat pass because he does not want to spend the next month camping his computer. Making people camp is fine up to a point and that point has come and gone.

Yes planning an expo is no easy feint.. and it's not Khoo's strong suite. For those who say they will announce it on twitter when tickets go on sale.. look at last year. They did that after all the 4 day passes were sold and most of the fri/sat passes.

They just need to have a few people sit down and think of a good solution for tickets.. not just repeat the same mistakes every year hoping it will be different.. did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your buddy who only wants Saturday needs to camp. Saturday sells out nearly as quickly as 4 days.

In the end, they'll never please everyone so doing the best they can is where they are at. I respect them for that, I respect your opinion of disagreement, and I respect the decisions likely every person on this forum has gone through in deciding where their priorities lie. Mine still rest on going to PAX for all 4 days, so I relentlessly camp. If you are deadset on going, you'd have had Khoo's tweets texting you just like you do official pax. Welcome to the heart attack club brother, he tweeted about the golf classic the other day and I nearly died sprinting down my stairs before I read it.

TL;DR - This experience, is entirely what YOU make it. Nobody else decides that for you.

• Options
    shortnowshortnow Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    KITTENS!

Link: youtube.com/watch?v=eiHXASgRTcA

/analogies to this thread are probably apparent :)

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I guess someone had to stir the pot today. Otherwise we would be bored and not know what to do with ourselves since F5 really is kinda senseless until Tuesday.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    vespachica wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess someone had to stir the pot today. Otherwise we would be bored and not know what to do with ourselves since F5 really is kinda senseless until Tuesday.
    Again, everyone is still entitled to their opinion. Having a different one isn't necessarily "stirring the pot" unless people let it. It's being discussed, and it's not vitriol.

• Options
    Hmm....has anyone asked Khoo for clarification? Is his definition of Memorial Day weekend from Fri-Mon as some of you think, or is it Sat-Mon, as I assumed? Not everyone counts Friday, so I just don't know.

Gaming since 1986.
  • Options
    Hmm....has anyone asked Khoo for clarification? Is his definition of Memorial Day weekend from Fri-Mon as some of you think, or is it Sat-Mon, as I assumed? Not everyone counts Friday, so I just don't know.
    I am as certain as I can be without speaking to him that the intention of his tweet was to inform the masses that things will not happen until at least after Monday.

• Options
    TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    The ClubPA thing was going to get out, Robert knew that, by saying "don't say anything" it slowed down when and how it got out. If he didn't say "don't post ,don't tweet" How many would have posted and tweeted the second after they had tickets? So, one guy posted about it, what was it a day later? mission accomplished.

• Options
    I am as certain as I can be without speaking to him that the intention of his tweet was to inform the masses that things will not happen until at least after Monday.
    Ahhh. Well, I guess it's just me who doesn't define Friday as part of the holiday weekend then. I'm sorry. I've just been so nervous about missing the sale. Last time I was in the queue, taken to a non-working page, and then had to get in the queue again. Went on for hours! I don't want that to happen again, so I figured if I get in the first few minutes, it might not. I don't have a smartphone, so I can't set up some notifications while I'm away from my computer. I've also asked any friends I know that are going/trying to go, and they've already got people who are depending on them for badges. Even my bf isn't able to be on at the times needed, since he's got work in the morning usually. So I guess I'm the only one who can get the 2 of us badges. :\ Anyway, hope everyone has a great holiday! I'll try to get in some gaming between work shifts if I can.

Gaming since 1986.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    I think i'm pretty good at planning one of these pax things, actually. Maybe it is even one of my strong suits. ;)

And yeah, don't worry - tix won't go on sale today.

Some guy.
  • Options
    The_TimThe_Tim Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think i'm pretty good at planning one of these pax things, actually. Maybe it is even one of my strong suits. ;)

Heh. Awesome.

• Options
    EnglishseigeEnglishseige Registered User regular

Please dont tell me you have been following our documentation of insanity these last couple weeks. It might just push make me fall of the ledge into true psychosis. which might make Prime more fun, who knows

• Options

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!! I was scared I'd foolishly miss something and have no way to actually tell till it was too late!! Lunchtime revived me, so.....to the console!!! *jumps into the air dramatically, falls back to earth, then stubs her toe* Um.....see ya guys! :D

Gaming since 1986.
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    Hah, I'll pop in every now and then to see how things are going. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions people have as far as WHY we do things the way we do for a few minutes here if you'd like. I promise we're not just throwing spaghetti on the wall over here in our decision making. :)

Some guy.
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    So rob tweets on his personal account that they won't MIbe selling tickets over the weekend.. but does not bother to tweet this on the "Official_PAX"? WTF come on.. it's not that hard to think of others. This guy really needs to hire someone to think for him.

I'm reading your post thinking: who the hell is rob?! To me only the khoo exists.

• Options
    JasonGreveJasonGreve Gamer Registered User regular
    Hah, I'll pop in every now and then to see how things are going. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions people have as far as WHY we do things the way we do for a few minutes here if you'd like. I promise we're not just throwing spaghetti on the wall over here in our decision making. :)

I think most people might appreciate some of the more minor details just so they understand the process.

For example, maybe a short timeline:

Staff for Dev = notified
    Dev sales / hotels
    Vet Enforcer call for Prime
    Accomodation for staff/enforcer
    general sales call
    etc

If thats not to private of information Khoo, maybe some numbers as to the sheer volume of people that coordination takes.

That might let some folks rest easy that this is no simple task for you guys :)

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular

Mr Khoo! What an honor! Respectfully, how do you choose when tickets will go on sale, historically? Do you guys follow a pattern? Is it hinged around "behind the scenes stuff"? It seems that this year is exceptionally longer than most.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

in b4 "WHEN ARE BADGES GOING ON SALE?!" But seriously, Sorry if this sounds rude, but is there any reason for the delay this year? Seems to be much longer than previous years.

pogoplay on
    Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
  • Options
    Aardvark VulgarAardvark Vulgar Registered User regular
    I'm just curious as to why tickets are going up so late this year as opposed to last. Is it because of the addition of Pax South?
    Also, keep up the good work!

70xnyzr.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Robert, I have a very important question for you.

Is there a safety potato nearby and if so, do you feel safe?

E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.