Options

old steem thred

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Thank you to @bobwoco for both Thomas Was Alone and Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So someone was talking about Faery: Legends of Avalon. I watched the trailer and it looks really neat and original. How is the actual gameplay itself? Can anyone offer any more feedback?

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Thomas Was Alone is a really enjoyable experience. Wonderful narration.

...and now I'm remembering that last night I dreamed of Thomas Was Alone 2.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Invisible‌ who attempted to gift me Civ IV - unfortunately I already had it so I'll have to bounce it back his way tonight when I get home, but it was a nice thought and the exact type of game I love to play.

As a side note, I finally got through all the patches for The Secret World. I made a character but I'm not thrilled with him - do more clothing options open up fairly early in the game? What factions are people playing?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So someone was talking about Faery: Legends of Avalon. I watched the trailer and it looks really neat and original. How is the actual gameplay itself? Can anyone offer any more feedback?

I haven't played it in a few years now (because fuck you Direct2Drive) but what i remember: It's pretty slow-paced but quirky fun. Combat is turn-based JRPG-ish. Exploration is fly-fly-fly around and so much fun (it really has the best flying mechanics/controls in any game I've played, though it does take a few minutes to get the hang of). It's fairly low-budget feeling - there's no voice acting in the game, for instance, just subtitles/text.

The characters/companions are all really neat, fairly loveable. The world/art is great. It's very much like playing a game based on a "traditional" fairy tale.

I can't remember how long it took me to beat the first time, but I'd hazard it's somewhere around a 10-12 hour game? Could be wrong on that.

Anyway, I loved it and can't wait to nab it on Steam and play it again. I give it two pixie wings up at any price south of $10, and especially at a $5 breakpoint.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Do any of the new Trackmanias have the stunt mode, where you essentially are trying to platform your way through the level? I used to love that, in earlier versions...

• Options
    As a side note, I finally got through all the patches for The Secret World. I made a character but I'm not thrilled with him - do more clothing options open up fairly early in the game? What factions are people playing?

Clothing shops are available in London (you'll either start there if you're Templar or be able to go there whenever you want as other factions). You also unlock outfits by completing ability decks - some of those are great and some are terribad. YMMV. And of course, there's the cash shop...

Faction - I think PA has peoples in all factions. Seems to be fair number of Illuminati. My main is Dragon right now. Templar have the best outfits. Illuminati are weird and paranoid. It really doesn't matter much what faction you go with though: you can play with people from any faction, chat with them, etc. The only thing it matters for is PvP...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    PA DallasPA Dallas Registered User regular
    Thomas Was Alone is a really enjoyable experience. Wonderful narration.

...and now I'm remembering that last night I dreamed of Thomas Was Alone 2.

Thomas Was Alone 2: Lost In New York.

I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's.
    And his hair was perfect.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Do any of the new Trackmanias have the stunt mode, where you essentially are trying to platform your way through the level? I used to love that, in earlier versions...

Any of the Trackmania 2 games have Trackmania 2 Platform, which is free (you download it from the maniaplanet launcher).

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for the sale coming up. The big things I'm hoping get big discounts are The Banner Saga, South Park: Stick of Truth, Transistor and Child of Light.

What games are people hoping to see on sale?

I was hoping for Killer is Dead to go on sale but then GamersGate just sent me a one-time code for 20% off of any game. Then they have a promotion where you get 25% back on the game in GamersGate bluecoins so that worked out to be almost another $5 back. And Mrs. Gruberman is working tonight so I might actually get some time to game if the Ed Jr. is feeling a bit better (he was just diagnosed with infections in his throat, skin and both ears as well as 3 molars coming in at the same time... last night was a bit long).

I was just looking at my wishlist and I saw Lichdom: Battlemage on there but only @Scratchy on my friends list has any time in it and that was less than an hour. Has anyone tried it? I know it's early access but it sounds like it could be fun.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Invisible‌ who attempted to gift me Civ IV - unfortunately I already had it so I'll have to bounce it back his way tonight when I get home, but it was a nice thought and the exact type of game I love to play.

Each time you log in type /chat join PA wang. It'll allow you to chat with the rest of us plebs.

I haven't played it in a few years now (because fuck you Direct2Drive) but what i remember: It's pretty slow-paced but quirky fun. Combat is turn-based JRPG-ish. Exploration is fly-fly-fly around and so much fun (it really has the best flying mechanics/controls in any game I've played, though it does take a few minutes to get the hang of). It's fairly low-budget feeling - there's no voice acting in the game, for instance, just subtitles/text.

The characters/companions are all really neat, fairly loveable. The world/art is great. It's very much like playing a game based on a "traditional" fairy tale.

I can't remember how long it took me to beat the first time, but I'd hazard it's somewhere around a 10-12 hour game? Could be wrong on that.

Anyway, I loved it and can't wait to nab it on Steam and play it again. I give it two pixie wings up at any price south of $10, and especially at a $5 breakpoint.

It's $7.50 right now. Should I wait for the Dale to see if it drops to $5 or less?

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    I thought it was still safe until the Dale starts but @Talus9952 just sent a surprise class attack my way with the Metro: Last Light Season Pass!!

Thank you, I loved Last Light!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for the sale coming up. The big things I'm hoping get big discounts are The Banner Saga, South Park: Stick of Truth, Transistor and Child of Light.

I was hoping for Killer is Dead to go on sale but then GamersGate just sent me a one-time code for 20% off of any game. Then they have a promotion where you get 25% back on the game in GamersGate bluecoins so that worked out to be almost another $5 back. And Mrs. Gruberman is working tonight so I might actually get some time to game if the Ed Jr. is feeling a bit better (he was just diagnosed with infections in his throat, skin and both ears as well as 3 molars coming in at the same time... last night was a bit long).

I was just looking at my wishlist and I saw Lichdom: Battlemage on there but only @Scratchy on my friends list has any time in it and that was less than an hour. Has anyone tried it? I know it's early access but it sounds like it could be fun.

Going off my wishlist the main ones are Starbound, Goat Simulator, and A Wolf Among Us. I'm not a very serious gamer.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    There's something special about running some laps in a racing game. I just spent like an hour just lapping the Melbourne track in F1 2013 trying to improve my times. Turns out I was braking wrong (yes, you can do that.) Managed a significant improvement afterwards.

Still, I love that zen-like feeling of just knowing the track and pushing onwards. I even get amazed afterwards when they show you the replay because I can't even remember doing that many laps in the first place.

i haven't had this feeling since Gran Turismo on PS2

is there any game that's even remotely similar for PC?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Can you tell when Sniper Elite 2 was free for a day?
    gsw82jecn61a.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Quickly perusing my wishlist I'd be thrilled to pick up Broken Age, Small World expansions, and some gifts for you fine folks.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Okay, in an effort to get more small donations going on this thing, for the next 24 hours I will match Child's Play donations, up through a pre-determined amount which I will keep secret until it's reached.

e: Or I suppose I should say up until I notice it's reached so it's not hit then someone drops a grand bomb before I can say anything :V

'cmon, folks. Almost 12 hours in and we're at $85. You can do better than that :D

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So quick question. With the Steam sale looming ever closer, I find that I may be in Europe for the duration of the sale. Is there any way for me to pay for stuff in USD, given that my bank is in the U.S.?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    DO-WOP! Done my deal-y dealio and delt a dollar donation this day.

paypal_zps30c12c70.jpg

Now discard discussion that does destruction to my deficient dollar deposits! ;)

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    There's something special about running some laps in a racing game. I just spent like an hour just lapping the Melbourne track in F1 2013 trying to improve my times. Turns out I was braking wrong (yes, you can do that.) Managed a significant improvement afterwards.

Still, I love that zen-like feeling of just knowing the track and pushing onwards. I even get amazed afterwards when they show you the replay because I can't even remember doing that many laps in the first place.

I haven't played GT, so I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.

Race07 (with its infinite number of expansions) is great for racing around, nice physics, but other than tuning I think it doesn't have anything in terms of upgrades and the like. Not much of a career either, you just create leagues with whatever tracks you like and race against others (or use pre-made leagues.)

Shift2 has more of a campaign mode that slowly gets harder, it has upgrades and it looks pretty (I love the helmet cam.) Sadly it lacks a bit for me there because usually you're talking about 3-5 laps races and you never really get to know a track that way.

GRID (*not* GRID 2) has some fun driving mechanics that I deeply enjoyed with all assists off. Sadly the campaign progression sometimes forces you into participating in events I have no desire to touch with a 10 foot pole (that damn bumper cars race) and there's no real upgrades to speak of (and only minor car tuning.) Still, it's very, very enjoyable.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

The update will likely happen Thursday though. When the countdown runs out it'll be the the hey check out this big new update page that goes live. Then the next day will reveal a bit more, and the one after that. They generally break up their update reveals over a couple days.

• Options
    of course i'd get a booster pack for secret of the magic crystals

of course

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Fired up some Duke Nukem Forever for a bit for some reason this morning.

Got to the first part where you can draw on the whiteboard:

jLEfs38.jpg

and I decided I'd get a little "artistic" (NSFW)

kKE0WCE.jpg
    DoeYlD3.jpg

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Well played, @SmokeStacks‌.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I almost choked to death on my coffee, Smoke.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Man, I had an old prepaid Visa giftcard with like $5.51 left on it, so I used it to add $5 to my Steam wallet so I could gift a game that is on sale for $2, but when I bought the game I added it to my inventory because I wanted to gift it to the person while they were awake... and when I checked my inventory I realized that I had forgotten about the whole "adding a new payment method to your steam account locks you out of the market and trading for seven days" thing, so now I can't gift it to them until next week.

I understand the need to have paytment security, but for a prepaid card, for only $5 in added funds, to gift a game that only costs $2... and on an account that has been in good standing for years I think maybe they ought to be a little more lenient.

Lord Gaben, why have you forsaken me?

• Options

I haven't played GT, so I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.

Race07 (with its infinite number of expansions) is great for racing around, nice physics, but other than tuning I think it doesn't have anything in terms of upgrades and the like. Not much of a career either, you just create leagues with whatever tracks you like and race against others (or use pre-made leagues.)

Shift2 has more of a campaign mode that slowly gets harder, it has upgrades and it looks pretty (I love the helmet cam.) Sadly it lacks a bit for me there because usually you're talking about 3-5 laps races and you never really get to know a track that way.

GRID (*not* GRID 2) has some fun driving mechanics that I deeply enjoyed with all assists off. Sadly the campaign progression sometimes forces you into participating in events I have no desire to touch with a 10 foot pole (that damn bumper cars race) and there's no real upgrades to speak of (and only minor car tuning.) Still, it's very, very enjoyable.

Gran Turismo is the forza type of racing simulator. Where it's massively difficult and utilizes real makes and models.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    So I've been playing a lot of XCOM lately and everything was going pretty well but suddenly like 5 countries have withdrawn from the council and every mission is "very difficult" and my team is decimated in the second turn the aliens get and...Is this just what happens or do I suck at this game?

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Charity Drive is picking up.... Steam!

MmiRclu.jpg

If you were thinking about offering yourself up as an incentive, there are some nice spots before and after Shade's $1000 LP. :)

Hey @iolo the gift is every $100 so 1500, 1600, etc through 2000

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'll commend your willpower if you're able to avoid the Dale. I'm in the same shoes as you except like 2 years down the road. Which just means I now have tons of student debt, and my son's about to start daycare (which costs more than rent!).

I don't think I'll be able to avoid the Dale :disappointed_relieved:

I think daycare is so expensive. I know someone who looked at a job and said, I would end up working just to pay for the daycare, and not make any money.
    jclast wrote: »
    Having kids, thankfully, didn't put me off of games for very long. Steam games are cheap enough that you'll be back with us in no time! Also, congratulations. Being a parent is one if the hardest things you'll ever do, but it is also, I think, the very coolest thing you'll ever do. :)

I'm sure I will be able to play, but I might miss threads, and won't have money to be as classy.
    Iolo wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Having kids, thankfully, didn't put me off of games for very long. Steam games are cheap enough that you'll be back with us in no time! Also, congratulations. Being a parent is one if the hardest things you'll ever do, but it is also, I think, the very coolest thing you'll ever do. :)

Plus turn-based games you can save anytime and play one handed are an early AM parents' good friend. Civ V with mouse in one hand and sleeping child in the other? Yes, please.

Yep, I know that. I might miss some of my scarier games, but I refuse to play mature games in front of kids. Saints row and child, yeah no. Guess not scary, but not child content. Love the game though.

On steam, I'm continuing my romp through Saints Row The Third, I'm up for co-op, so message me if you want to help me get those done, but I'm not worried. I have no guarantee of how much time I have, or if life happens. I'm sure all you understand that. I'm off this week from college, so will get a little extra time.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    Valve totally knows how to get me. Just putting a countdown on the TF2 website was enough to get me to redownload it.

• Options
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    So I've been playing a lot of XCOM lately and everything was going pretty well but suddenly like 5 countries have withdrawn from the council and every mission is "very difficult" and my team is decimated in the second turn the aliens get and...Is this just what happens or do I suck at this game?

Well, depends... if you're playing on "normal" and that happened, then yes you suck. :P
    If you're playing on "classic" and that happens, it's called "learning curve" and you'll get better.
    If you're playing on "impossible" and that happens, par for course and you're a glutton for punishment.

:)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Gotcha, @cardboard delusions‌:

FOak78p.jpg

Current Total: $786.36

Your money is worth double right now!
    @Jragghen‌ is matching gifts for another twelve hours or so. Get to donating!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular

Well, depends... if you're playing on "normal" and that happened, then yes you suck. :P
    If you're playing on "classic" and that happens, it's called "learning curve" and you'll get better.
    If you're playing on "impossible" and that happens, par for course and you're a glutton for punishment.

Oh man...I do suck :neutral_face: Maybe I should start a new game.

• Options

Oh man...I do suck :neutral_face: Maybe I should start a new game.

Hahaha... I'm just teasing. The game is pretty randomly brutal and it can all go to hell in a handbasket with little warning. I recommend playing on until it ends - continuing in the face of near-certain doom is way more interesting than starting over at the first sign of ill fortune...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Man, I had an old prepaid Visa giftcard with like $5.51 left on it, so I used it to add $5 to my Steam wallet so I could gift a game that is on sale for $2, but when I bought the game I added it to my inventory because I wanted to gift it to the person while they were awake... and when I checked my inventory I realized that I had forgotten about the whole "adding a new payment method to your steam account locks you out of the market and trading for seven days" thing, so now I can't gift it to them until next week.

I understand the need to have paytment security, but for a prepaid card, for only $5 in added funds, to gift a game that only costs $2... and on an account that has been in good standing for years I think maybe they ought to be a little more lenient.

I'm locked out until thursday because I dared to use a "new browser" to log into Steam.

It actually was my normal browser post-cookie-cleaning, which wiped any memory of anything it had.

Thank you, Steam.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014

Oh man...I do suck :neutral_face:Maybe I should start a new game.

That's the correct answer.

And DUE, for simulation racing on PC, there's iRacing, rFactor 1 and 2 and Assetto Corsa on steam which is still in development. Sim racing on PC is rather bleak when compared to Forza, which is leaps ahead of GT

Veevee on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
  • Options
    bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    75% off Gunpoint two days before the sale starts? Come on, Valve! That's playing dirty!

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014

Is the "Send gift..." button locked too? I thought the block was only for trade requests/offers.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.