As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fantasy Recs?

kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated foraRegistered User regular
edited July 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Can anyone recommend more authors for me?

I tend to shy away from mary sues or power fantasies, or books that amount to summaries of someone's D&D campaign.

Some data points:

Charles Stross Kage Baker Lovecraft Bruce Sterling Neil Gaiman China Mieville Mercedes Lackey's urban fantasy books Ellen Bujold Michael Moorcock

Dislikes:
    Patrick Rothfuss Steven Erickson David Eddings R.A. Salvatore

Meh:
    Anne McCaffrey Martin laurell hamilton

Never Read:
    Jim Butcher Brandon Sanderson

fwKS7.png?1
kaliyama on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Your likes/dislikes chart is very similar to my own.

That "never read" pile is probably a good place to start. I just muddled through the first 3 sorta good Butcher novels to the Very Decent 4 & 5 Butcher novels and just cleared the Extremely excellent 6-8 Butcher novels. Dresden files has proven to be pretty rad (if you can make it to book 3 or so). So far book 8 of the Dresden files jumped so high in quality that it is now in my top ten list of favorite reads (which hadn't been updated since Lies of Locke Lamora many years back).

George RR Martin is also extremely good, though he can be wordy in some books (and will likely die before ending his series). (Meh works in some ways and is uncharitable in others. So far book 4 and 5 have been pretty Meh, while 2 and 3 were some of my favorite reads. The show makes it mercurial though).

You should look into Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice series. It takes a very different take on the traditional fantasy in an amazingly solid way. With the amount of "boy assassin" books that have flooded the market, it can be hard to look at her series but it really is the best (and probably the one that spawned the others).

Scott Lynch's "Lies of Locke Lamora" is a must read for any fan of fantasy, as are the two follow-up books to date (though the first is good enough to be stand alone).

Enc on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard Series

Con men/thieves in a fantasy renaissance Venice.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Joe Abercrombie might be up your alley. He started by writing a trilogy, the first law, and then wrote a bunch of standalone books in the same world with some shared characters. They are dark and cynical as hell, but if you don't mind that I find them excellent.

Lies of Locke Lamora is amazing as well, the series does get weaker as it goes on though.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Leaning on the Meiville side of things, I would check out:
    - Jeff Vandermeer. Specifically check out "City of Saints and Madmen"
    - Michael Swanwick's "Dragon's of Babel" (its a stand alone 'sequel' to a previous book of his, "Iron Dragon's Daughter" that is hard to find but you don't have to have read it)
    - Felix Gilman's "Thunderer"

On the Stross/Sterling side of things, I would check out:
    - Peter Watt's "Blindsight"
    - Hannu Rajaniemi's "The Quantum Thief"
    - Ann Leckie's "Ancillary Justice"
    - George Alex Effinger's "When Gravity Fails"

On a broad stroke recommendation I would go for
    - The above recommended Lies of Locke Lamora
    - Joe Abercrombie

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd suggest His Majesty's Dragon (and the rest of the series). An alternate history retelling of the Napoleonic Wars where everyone has dragons.

Also, the Landover series by Terry Brooks makes for some fun reading.

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    I really can't say enough good things about Jim Butcher. I haven't read the most recent Dresden book yet, but so far every one is better than the previous books.

You might enjoy the Blood Oath series by Christopher Farnsworth.
    Also, The Vampire Earth series by E.E. Knight.
    And finally, I can't find the rest of the books, and I haven't read them in many years, but the Battledragon series by Christopher Rowley seems like it was quite enjoyable. Though it might be a little bit young adult ish.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Not sure how you'll feel about these, since they're less cerebral than something like Mieville, but I have had good times with them when I want to read a relatively novel take on the fantasy genre: http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Jhereg-Steven-Brust/dp/0441006159/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404969785&sr=8-1&keywords=jhereg

Think of it as James Bond but telepathically linked to a little smart ass dragon that hangs out on his shoulder sometimes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Highly recommend Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice series, and the one after it (the Tawny man) and no doubt the new trilogy she is writing. There is also other books set in the same universe, also quite good.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Which Stross did you like?

The Laundry files are close in style to Neal Stephenson's works.

Snow Crash is a cyberpunk parody that is itself viable cyberpunk. Diamond Age is nano based steampunk. Both are more Sci Fi than Fantasy.

Anathem is Sci Fi but in a way that resembles something like Melville's fantasy. It's another world where you're learning about it as the story progresses.

The Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, Confusion, System of the World) is sorta historical fiction that is massive and indescribable. Be warned it starts off in an absolutely horrible style, there is a reason for it but it makes getting started a challenge.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I'd suggest His Majesty's Dragon (and the rest of the series). An alternate history retelling of the Napoleonic Wars where everyone has dragons.

Oh man, you just reminded me that I never read past the first book in this series. And it is really good book, I just ended up reading some other stuff after wars.

If you enjoy Urban Fantasy, I would recommend Simon R. Green's NightSide series or his Secret Histories books. Nightside is Urban Fiction mixed with P.I (so you have a detective of sorts that has an actual physical third eye he uses to find stuff) and his Secret Histories books are UF mixed with James Bond.

Both are light affairs, and the only issue with them is that they can start to run together if you read a bunch of them one after the other.

A darker Urban Fantasy book is Charlie Huston's Already Dead series.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    The Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, Confusion, System of the World) is sorta historical fiction that is massive and indescribable. Be warned it starts off in an absolutely horrible style, there is a reason for it but it makes getting started a challenge.

My opinion (for what it's worth):
    I read Quicksilver and while it was vivid in its explanations, it was boring. The time period is fascinating and the subject matter is interesting, but it seemed like Gaiman was writing just to write. It made me mad that he also wrote American Gods which was thoroughly enjoyable. Perhaps the style is explained as you progress through the series, but I put Quicksilver down and had no desire to continue on with any of the character (save the girl, whose name escapes me).

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »

My opinion (for what it's worth):
    I read Quicksilver and while it was vivid in its explanations, it was boring. The time period is fascinating and the subject matter is interesting, but it seemed like Gaiman was writing just to write. It made me mad that he also wrote American Gods which was thoroughly enjoyable. Perhaps the style is explained as you progress through the series, but I put Quicksilver down and had no desire to continue on with any of the character (save the girl, whose name escapes me).

Err...Gaiman didn't write Quicksilver, Neal Stephenson did. So why it's not like American Gods should be kind obvious...

If you don't like Stephenson's prose you probably won't like most of his books. I think he does a great job of setting up dramatic scenes but the real joy is the way he phrases things rather than plotting or characterization.

If you got up to Jack's parts in Quicksilver and weren't enjoying it I would definitely recommend bailing at that point.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Quicksilver is Neal Stephenson, not Neil Gaiman.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    I second Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon Series. Also, Jim Butcher's Dresden series is well executed, but it's also pretty cartoonish/silly. I'd place it in the category of good fun over great literature, which I don't really mean as a slight. It just may not be everyone's thing.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Yeah, considering @kaliyama 's likes list I'm not sure the lighter fare like Dresden, Terry Brooks, or Robin Hobb are great suggestions

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm not sure I would consider Robin Hobb lighter fare, personally.

Dresden Files is exactly what Heartlash says and I love it for that.

Enc on
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Jim Butcher also has his Codex Alera series, that's quite good. It's fantasy, and rumor has it that it was created on a dare to make a decent story out of cliched concepts. The two concepts were Lost Roman Legion and Pokemon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jim Butcher also has his Codex Alera series, that's quite good. It's fantasy, and rumor has it that it was created on a dare to make a decent story out of cliched concepts. The two concepts were Lost Roman Legion and Pokemon.

Whaaaaaat.
    /Goes to buy these.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I'm dumb.

Replace Gaiman with Stephenson and American Gods with Snow Crash.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Snow Crash is very very different from the rest of Stephensons stuff, true. I like both though, but I can see someone not liking the rest of his stuff apart from Snow Crash.

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    If you don't like Mary Sues, then you won't like Brandon Sanderson.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    George R. R. Martin

• Options
    If you don't like Mary Sues, then you won't like Brandon Sanderson.

Uh...

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Ooh, this is my time to shine.

If you like Moorcock, you'll love Roger Zelazny, especially his Chronicles of Amber series. It's about the centuries long conflict of the various members of a royal family as the vie for control of Amber, the only real world in all the multiverse, from which all other worlds are just shadows,

There's also the incredibly dark but excellent Black Company series by Glenn Cook, which is about the eponymous company of mercanaries who find themselves hired by an evil overlord known as the Lady.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    If you're willing to read something that's not super-serious, Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels are pretty spectacular send-ups of basically everything.

I'm fond of the City Watch books (starting with Guards, Guards!) about the challenges of running a police force/solving crimes in a city inhabited by trolls, dwarves, etc.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    My favorite series is probably The Black Company by Glen Cook.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nobody's said Gene Wolfe yet? I'm shaking my head at you thread.

Some people say jump right into The Book of the New Sun, I'd say start with Wizard/Knight. Either is good.

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    If you like Lovecraft you should really read Clark Ashton Smith. He wrote a TON of stuff, so some you'll love, some you might find meh. Still worth a read.

Seconding/Thirding Robin Hobb....The Farseer trilogey, Liveship Trader Trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy respectively. All of them are great.

Seconding Gene Wolfe as well.

Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell is downright terrific.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    More Jeff VanDerMeer: His Current Southern Reach Series is AMAZING if you like Lovecraftian stuff

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    @CaptainNemo, @Sir Carcass‌, I started out with Black Company. SO GOOD.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Kickass! Glenn Cook also has a fantasy series called Garret PI, which is a Thief style blending of Noir and High Fantasy about a private detective working in a city ruled by mages.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Awesome! I love Glen Cook's books so much. He has a really great ability to create great characters and these weird, mysterious worlds that I just want to know everything about. The Garrett PI books are also really good, though more of a noir detective series than anything else. He has some sci-fi stuff that I haven't even gotten to yet. I mean, look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Cook

Instrumentalities of the Night
    Epic fantasy in a reinterpreted version of 13th century Europe and Western Asia.

Starfishers
    Starfishers is a science fiction series drawing on elements of Norse mythology, and in the case of Passage at Arms, World War II submarine warfare.

Darkwar
    Marika, a meth pup, loses her mother and nearly all of her pack in an attack by rogue males. She is taken in by the silth, meth females who rule the world with their mental powers, because they have detected in her the talent to become a powerful silth herself. As she grows and develops, she proceeds to shake meth society to its very roots.

That all sounds incredibly awesome to me. I have them, just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. The Black Company supplanted A Song of Ice and Fire as my favorite book series, as I read it later. I still love aSoIaF, I just find it hard to still care this far into the waiting game. The first 3 books of The Black Company are basically the perfect fantasy trilogy in my mind. They stand fine on their own, and complete their arc, but they leave you wanting to know what will happen next.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Steve Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series is excellent, but the first book starts in media res, which can be confusing. Stick with it! It gets a lot better.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    So many good things already on here.

One of the things on my to-read list which I don't see here yet is Elizabeth Bear's Eternal Sky trilogy, which sounds like it meshes pretty well with the specs suggested.

Jeff Vandermeer is basically my favorite right now and the Southern Reach trilogy pieces which have been released so far have been... borderline virally good, so I would third/fourth that recommendation. City of Saints and Madmen is also brilliant.

Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence is worth a look, if you like the Stross Laundry books, though I'd hesitate to call them "similar" I think they speak to similar audiences.

But as a starting point for what to read next, the Black Company will keep you busy for a while!
    Glen Cook is so badass in all the ways. Even his standalone stuff is great-- Passage at Arms is an old favorite of mine.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Nobody's said Gene Wolfe yet? I'm shaking my head at you thread.

Some people say jump right into The Book of the New Sun, I'd say start with Wizard/Knight. Either is good.

Gene Wolfe is so horribly underrated.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Gene Wolfe is one of those authors that people seem to either really love or really hate... I'm in the latter camp, but I know a lot of folks who love his books, so YMMV.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If you're willing to read something that's not super-serious, Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels are pretty spectacular send-ups of basically everything.

I'm fond of the City Watch books (starting with Guards, Guards!) about the challenges of running a police force/solving crimes in a city inhabited by trolls, dwarves, etc.

That's what I came in here to say.

Don't start with The Colour of Magic, as it's not a well crafted as his later books. A good introduction to the main areas of the world and its underlying magical nature is Equal Rites. If you like the urban stuff, go for Guards! Guards! next, but if you preferred the witches go for Wyrd Sisters.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

That's what I came in here to say.

Don't start with The Colour of Magic, as it's not a well crafted as his later books. A good introduction to the main areas of the world and its underlying magical nature is Equal Rites. If you like the urban stuff, go for Guards! Guards! next, but if you preferred the witches go for Wyrd Sisters.

I'd suggest starting with Small Gods. It's a good standalone and doesn't have any direct connections with other novels in the setting, while most of the other novels are part of longer story arcs, sharing characters and settings between books.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I don't think anyone mentioned it, but personally I'm a big fan of Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series. They mentioned it in a PA comic a LONG time ago but it's pretty entertaining. It skips around in the timeline so the first book Jhereg is actually like the fourth in continuity of the character's adventures, which in my opinion keeps it interesting. The author also released a Firefly fan novel for free a little while back and has written some other pretty good stuff as well.

are YOU on the beer list?