Options

[East Asia] - Shinzo Abe shot, killed

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In reality, China doesn't care enough about Un's dignity and authority to shut down the internet in China over it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    In reality, China doesn't care enough about Un's dignity and authority to shut down the internet in China over it.

I think China is actually committed to taking some of the Wind out of Un's sails.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

I think China is actually committed to taking some of the Wind out of Un's sails.

China will still feed the North, but they're gonna make the North suck China's dick a little harder.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge soju fan. It just doesn't taste great. It's not terrible though. It's great mixed with cheap beer (somek!), and the fruit slushie things with it are fucking amazing.

I'm pretty fond of beksaeju, though a ROK army dude I work with told me it was a drink for old men (it's kind of herby). Whatever, still gonna drink it!

I had another kind, chang or cheng-something? It was ok, probably need to have it again sometime when I haven't had a bunch of booze prior to it.

The blackberry wine they sell in a lot of places is also delicious, but really, really sweet. It's a rounded, plastic maroon bottle.

Makgeoulli (however you want to romanize it) is my jam though. There's a place in the closest non-ville town to base that does homemade makgeoulli, and I try to get my friends to go there every time we're in town. They bring you a giant wooden bowl with a ladle-spoon thing to pour it into your personal drinking bowls, and it's traditional style (sitting on a pillow low to the ground).

Gonna miss korean liquor when I go back to the states. Also the fact that they sell beer nearly everywhere, even at all the little shops in the zoo (we were drunk at the zoo).

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    Soju's alright, but I looooove kettles.

In other news, Japan's right wing are still racist twats.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/japan-war-memorial-korean-labourers

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    After googling Beksaeju, it actually sounds like something I'd like to try sometime, and that's not something I say about a lot of alcoholic beverages of any kind.

I wonder how hard it would be to find here in Canada; it seems like they only really sell this stuff in South Korea, California and British Columbia, aka, the west coast.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Now this is really sad.

South Korea's treatment for AIDS: Slut Shaming and treating the infected like Lepers.
    Today in Korea, the stigma and discrimination is still so extreme that public and private hospitals routinely refuse to treat people living with HIV/AIDS. And the very few that do often segregate them from other patients, forcing them to shower and dine in separate areas, pandering to stigma and the mistaken belief that people with HIV/AIDS can easily infect those around them even though Korean medical professionals know this isn’t true.

The stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS is so intense in South Korea that the National Human Rights Commission of Korea has estimated that Koreans living with HIV are 10 times more likely to commit suicide than the general population, which already has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.

Come to think of it, I remember having to get tested for AIDS before I could move here.

Cantido on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So in some more domestic Japanese news. Sorry I am not sure this article has been translated anywhere. But the government basically pointing towards planning on have a national population of 100 million and maintaining that from 2060 on.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/politics/20140725-OYT1T50172.html?from=ytop_main5

For some reference Japan has a current population of 126 million or so at the moment. So that is a loss of 26 million people from their population. Now Japan isn't the only country losing pop but this is a huge piece of the country recognizing what is happening. Basically the article is saying that Towns, Cities and Prefectures need to plan out for this population and maintaining at that level compared to now.

Plans need to be submitted or at least initial plans in January. At least how I am reading it. Japanese newspapers kick the crap out of me a lot.

Still 26 million people in 46 years or so that is a huge population loss.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Now this is really sad.

South Korea's treatment for AIDS: Slut Shaming and treating the infected like Lepers.
    Today in Korea, the stigma and discrimination is still so extreme that public and private hospitals routinely refuse to treat people living with HIV/AIDS. And the very few that do often segregate them from other patients, forcing them to shower and dine in separate areas, pandering to stigma and the mistaken belief that people with HIV/AIDS can easily infect those around them even though Korean medical professionals know this isn’t true.

The stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS is so intense in South Korea that the National Human Rights Commission of Korea has estimated that Koreans living with HIV are 10 times more likely to commit suicide than the general population, which already has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.

Come to think of it, I remember having to get tested for AIDS before I could move here.

Why the fuck did Koreans listen to Margaret Thatcher?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Why did anyone?

• Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Why did anyone?

Why wouldn't you? Why is this relevant to discussion about asia.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Man.

Xi Jinping is a p good orator.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yoshua wrote: »
    Why did anyone?

Thatcher's plan to deal with the AIDS crisis was basically the same as South Korea's up there. Which is what I was reacting to.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Now this is really sad.

That's horrible, but I have no idea where you're getting the slut shaming bit from- it seems like it's just "agh lepers". Education has worked to remove a good deal of false stigma from HIV/AIDS in the U.S.; I learned in middle school that HIV isn't spread through hugging or sharing a soda. South Korea really should update their sex education.
    That's pretty common. Entry into the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa doesn't require it, but immigration does, and you may not settle in the U.S. if you have an HIV infection. Granted, you're also kept out by tuberculosis, syphillis, measles, and certain types of influenza, among other things- countries don't really like letting sick people immigrate.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why did anyone?

Thatcher's plan to deal with the AIDS crisis was basically the same as South Korea's up there. Which is what I was reacting to.

To be fair, before AIDS was well understood, that was the plan a lot of places had to deal with it (not necessarily the shaming business, which is absurd). Hell, it wasn't even a new idea then; quarantine goes a long ways back.

South Korea adopting this sort of policy now, after the disease has been studied and is better understood is pretty shameful. A sick person is still entitled to their dignity.

• Options
    Yeah I read too much into it. There is no "slut shaming," that part was dead wrong.

On a happier note, South Koreans to mountains: FUCK YOU MOUNTAIN YOU'RE NO MATCH FOR ME!
    Between 2006 and 2012, South Korea’s outdoor apparel market grew almost 500 percent, according to the Chosun Ilbo, a major daily newspaper. High-end gear is so commonplace that Koreans, particularly baby boomers, wear it even when going nowhere near a mountain. It’s suitable for traveling and shopping, restaurants and coffee shops.

I've seen these South Koreans hike mountains. Children, parents and grandparents with their children on their backs, wearing loud, flashy Korean hiking gear, holding a pole or dual-wielding them, in the blazing summers or deadly, Skyrim-esque winters. And they walk around just about anywhere in those outfits. They give zero fucks.
    p6090817.jpg?w=590

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    To be fair.

If I had Mountains that goddamn beautiful I'd be climbing all over them too.

640px-S1e10_Mountainback.png

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Why did anyone?

Why did anyone?

Because she threw gay people under the bus in a profound way, something South Korea emulates (or came up
    Now this is really sad.

That's horrible, but I have no idea where you're getting the slut shaming bit from- it seems like it's just "agh lepers". Education has worked to remove a good deal of false stigma from HIV/AIDS in the U.S.; I learned in middle school that HIV isn't spread through hugging or sharing a soda. South Korea really should update their sex education.
    That's pretty common. Entry into the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa doesn't require it, but immigration does, and you may not settle in the U.S. if you have an HIV infection. Granted, you're also kept out by tuberculosis, syphillis, measles, and certain types of influenza, among other things- countries don't really like letting sick people immigrate.

HIV isn't a disqualification for the US anymore.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So I know this is about AIDS in South Korea, but I'm going to shift gears here and ask how fucked are we going to be from this Ebola outbreak in Africa?

cause it seems pretty terrifying to me.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Ebola is too virulent for its own good, any infection is likely to burn itself out before spreading

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Ebola is too virulent for its own good, any infection is likely to burn itself out before spreading

If proper quarantine procedure is followed, anyway...

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Not for entering the U.S. on a green card; they removed mandatory HIV tests some time ago. But for applying for citizenship? It totally is.

re:Ebola

It's not getting out of Africa, and the WHO have it relatively under control. It is being spread, however, by Africans viewing the hospital as a place to die and helping their friends/relatives hide from medical workers. Throw in cultural stuff like washing of dead bodies prior to the funeral (and reliance on faith healers rather than doctors) and you can see why so many people have it.

• Options
    Yeah the Ebola stuff can probably be in another thread. It is scary but still hard to transport overseas and even so outside of Africa we would probably get quarantine in really fast.

But back to Asia we have more of the US verse China war on stuff cyber stuff.

China raids Microsoft offices using anti-monopoly laws

Between this and them going after Apple China is stepping up the domestic war on US companies as recourse to us going after their espionage stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Kenneth Bae, a true martyr--- oh wait nevermind, he expects Caesar to protect him.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/american-detained-north-korea-feels-abandoned-24797987

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Yeah the Ebola stuff can probably be in another thread. It is scary but still hard to transport overseas and even so outside of Africa we would probably get quarantine in really fast.

But back to Asia we have more of the US verse China war on stuff cyber stuff.

China raids Microsoft offices using anti-monopoly laws

Between this and them going after Apple China is stepping up the domestic war on US companies as recourse to us going after their espionage stuff.

you have fun with that China.

If there's one thing about American companies it's that they actually have the money and influence of a small modernized nation and can make those sorts of maneuvers very painful for China in the long run.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    In the long run, I kinda expect China to force out foreign companies to make way for national ones.

Which may be a mistake. Sure, China has a billion people to sell to. But currently, there another 6 billion outside of China. Chinese products currently cannot compete with the stuff from South Korea, Japan, the US and Europe.

Mean while, those companies can just pack up and do business elsewhere, selling to the other 6 billion people on the Earth.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    In the long run, I kinda expect China to force out foreign companies to make way for national ones.

Which may be a mistake. Sure, China has a billion people to sell to. But currently, there another 6 billion outside of China. Chinese products currently cannot compete with the stuff from South Korea, Japan, the US and Europe.

Mean while, those companies can just pack up and do business elsewhere, selling to the other 6 billion people on the Earth.

Japan and South Korea grew their domestic industries by being heavily protectionist. Both had a decades long period of selling substandard products while their industries matured. Had they had to compete directly with established American and European, that may never have happened.

I'm not a big lover of China's policies or government, but I do think they are pretty good at slowly building themselves into a global power. With its odd mix of communist totalitarianism and laissez faire capitalism, China's leaders often see past a lot of the free market bullshit that dominates the First World these days. They pay homage to it to keep the Western markets open, but they also make sure that they don't end up impaled on its many fallacies and delusions.

• Options
    Maybe when I see China make something that is not a cheap knockoff of some other countries product I'll believe their strategy is working. Cause while they win in Chinese courts, selling that stuff abroad is a different story.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Maybe when I see China make something that is not a cheap knockoff of some other countries product I'll believe their strategy is working. Cause while they win in Chinese courts, selling that stuff abroad is a different story.

Look at the reputation of Japanese products in the '50s to the '70s. Their industry was also dominated by cheap knockoffs and shoddy electronics, but the experience and infrastructure developed through making all those cheap knockoffs allowed them to progress to equal or better quality than their Western rivals.

That's what China is trying to emulate. They want to push through the growth pains while preventing superior Western goods from dominating their markets and strangling their efforts. Which, incidentally, is exactly what Japan and South Korea did when incubating their national industries.

• Options

Look at the reputation of Japanese products in the '50s to the '70s. Their industry was also dominated by cheap knockoffs and shoddy electronics, but the experience and infrastructure developed through making all those cheap knockoffs allowed them to progress to equal or better quality than their Western rivals.

That's what China is trying to emulate. They want to push through the growth pains while preventing superior Western goods from dominating their markets and strangling their efforts. Which, incidentally, is exactly what Japan and South Korea did when incubating their national industries.

It also helps that they're stealing everything that isn't nailed down as far as intellectual property goes. Granted, I'd be doing the same in their place, but let's not forget that rampant corporate espionage is a biiiiiiig reason why the U.S. is so mad at them.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Not for entering the U.S. on a green card; they removed mandatory HIV tests some time ago. But for applying for citizenship? It totally is.

re:Ebola

It's not getting out of Africa, and the WHO have it relatively under control. It is being spread, however, by Africans viewing the hospital as a place to die and helping their friends/relatives hide from medical workers. Throw in cultural stuff like washing of dead bodies prior to the funeral (and reliance on faith healers rather than doctors) and you can see why so many people have it.

Its also happening in places like Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. Places ravage by war and conflict. Where actual medical personnel got the fuck out of dodge long time ago and haven't returned. Hospitals are in many cases dangerous for healthy people to visit due to the chance of getting infected with normal diseases, so people not wanting to send their loved ones into a death trap is understandable.

The reputation of most governments in the area is one of deep corruption, so most people think the worst of their leaders(having been proven right by bitter experience), so most ignore their attempts to do quarantine.

Any place with functional hospitals, qualified medical personnel and government with a little credibility would do just fine. Outbreak is still going to be just a movie.

Now a more virulent outbreak of SARS would be a bit harder.(but still completely doable).

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

It also helps that they're stealing everything that isn't nailed down as far as intellectual property goes. Granted, I'd be doing the same in their place, but let's not forget that rampant corporate espionage is a biiiiiiig reason why the U.S. is so mad at them.

It seems that US companies are willing to risk the theft of IP for short term low cost labor though.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
  • Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Kenneth Bae, a true martyr--- oh wait nevermind, he expects Caesar to protect him.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/american-detained-north-korea-feels-abandoned-24797987
    I know we are going to get him back, and I know why we need to, all the same though, what the fuck is wrong with these people?

• Options

It is really bad.

China's cheaply built infrastructure has just been collapsing every time they have a major earthquake.

I expect this will be another very high death toll.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Didn't see this posted: Japan "gives" (the article is vague if they were sold or loaned or gifted) 6 patrol ships to Vietnam. China is running the real risk of seeing a regional alliance formed against them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28599397

Also: the United States and India fail to get along. I still don't think my government realizes that India will be a world power this century, and that they need to start treating the country better and as an equal.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-28602689

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Didn't see this posted: Japan "gives" (the article is vague if they were sold or loaned or gifted) 6 patrol ships to Vietnam. China is running the real risk of seeing a regional alliance formed against them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28599397

Also: the United States and India fail to get along. I still don't think my government realizes that India will be a world power this century, and that they need to start treating the country better and as an equal.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-28602689

Your comments on the first link would seem to point towards bad reasoning in your comment on the 2nd.

• Options
    Hmm?

• Options
    US India relations have always been a mess. They rarely go beyond friendly neutral. We have a lot of trade and economic ties to India but we do not like working with the Indian governing class since they tend to fall in the corrupt, incompetent or neutered by infighting. They are a major regional power but till they get a lot of their own internal issues fixed they won't be more than that.

One of the things with our pivot though is to try and improve relations with India. It doesn't help the current party is kind of an anti-US party and we have given it a lot of shit in the past.

On the Vietnamese getting Japanese ships this isn't surprising as the Japanese were loaning/selling some patrol boats to the Philippines already this year. Between this and the current move to try and pull Korean relations out of the shitter it isn't looking good for China when it comes to regional partnerships.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

It is really bad.

China's cheaply built infrastructure has just been collapsing every time they have a major earthquake.

I expect this will be another very high death toll.

You were right. Death toll has already doubled.

This discussion has been closed.