Options

The [Movie] Thread: The Movie!

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Since we're all throwing out moody Asian horror recommendations, it's my sworn duty to recommend A Tale of Two Sisters.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Of course, it wouldn't do to forget perhaps the greatest horror film of all time.

51NV9AK22GL.jpg

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I'm now imagining Morgan Freeman in the Robert Redford role in Winter Soldier.
    I'd link Dreamcatcher, but that might cause people to harm themselves by watching it.
    I think his Dreamcatcher role was a little too brusque, it would be interesting to see Freeman play a character being threatening/dangerous in a much more non-physical and subtle fashion (which Redford's Winter Soldier at least tries to get at). The kind of guy that makes you fear him by slight insinuation or tone of voice, ofc I can't come up with any examples just now though. :/

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but didn't he do that in Lucky Number Slevin?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well he played an aging gangster, but yes he was a dick in the movie. He was also the bad guy in Wanted and Dream Catcher, though most people hated wanted (I enjoyed it) and dream catcher was trash.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I'm now imagining Morgan Freeman in the Robert Redford role in Winter Soldier.
    I'd link Dreamcatcher, but that might cause people to harm themselves by watching it.
    I think his Dreamcatcher role was a little too brusque, it would be interesting to see Freeman play a character being threatening/dangerous in a much more non-physical and subtle fashion (which Redford's Winter Soldier at least tries to get at). The kind of guy that makes you fear him by slight insinuation or tone of voice, ofc I can't come up with any examples just now though. :/

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but didn't he do that in Lucky Number Slevin?
    I've scrubbed everything about LNS from memory and am all the happier for it.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I liked it, even though it tries so very hard to be a Tarantino movie. Now I want to go back and rewatch it.

• Options
    I liked Slevin, it has a twist and yet the movie trailers do their best to keep that from you. My favorite kind.

Kind of like Street Kings looked one way in the trailers and played out completely different in the actual movie.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Lucky Number Slevin was aces, I ain't gonna hear no bad words about it. It was a throw-away film, but it was a really fun throw-away film.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    It was also one of the few times Willis was in a wig that didn't look awful (well at least not look awful on purpose like his hair piece in Death Becomes Her looked).

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked Slevin, it has a twist and yet the movie trailers do their best to keep that from you. My favorite kind.

Kind of like Street Kings looked one way in the trailers and played out completely different in the actual movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFDHyH8buQ

I so wish this trailer had kept the same tone it has for the first minute and just made that the ad campaign.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Also not every crime film with an ensemble cast is tarantino, god ensemble crime films were a thing before pulp fiction, they continue to be a thing after it.

Slevin if anything was more Mametesque with the rapid fire dialogue and people talking past what they were really talking about.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I pre-ordered a special Godzilla figure back in March, before the movie was released, and I finally got it yesterday. This thing is huge, and better yet it has a insane number of joints (the tail alone is made-up of thirteen sections!). Just thought I'd share a pic of this foot tall, two-foot long behemoth alongside my other Big G figures.
    2h8f6fjzg1y2.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Also! Friends of mine hated The Innkeepers but loved Paranormal Activity even though structurally they're the same fucking film and The Innkeepers doesn't have a turbo-douche sticking his dick on a Ouija board every few minutes.

The Innkeepers is an excellent, intelligent movie for the first half or so, and then it gets super boring and underwritten. Paranormal Activity is super dumb but it works like gangbusters for all that. I can definitely see liking it more, although both are hugely flawed.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    For all the Flak G14 got, I still think there was enough good elements to have hope for the sequel.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I, for one, would watch the shit out of a Satan Freeman.

How about Freeman as Satan in an adaptation of Steven Brust's To Reign in Hell?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Holy shit, Movie Bob liked Expendables 3. And he hated the first two in exactly the same ways that I did, so maybe I should check it out.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Also! Friends of mine hated The Innkeepers but loved Paranormal Activity even though structurally they're the same fucking film and The Innkeepers doesn't have a turbo-douche sticking his dick on a Ouija board every few minutes.

The Innkeepers is an excellent, intelligent movie for the first half or so, and then it gets super boring and underwritten. Paranormal Activity is super dumb but it works like gangbusters for all that. I can definitely see liking it more, although both are hugely flawed.

PA gets major props for at least addressing the "if your house is haunted, why not just fucking leave, you stupid box of hair?" issue in a reasonable manner.

I still haven't seen the sequels. Should I fix this?

• Options
    No they progressively get worse. Like most sequels to any horror franchise.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

PA gets major props for at least addressing the "if your house is haunted, why not just fucking leave, you stupid box of hair?" issue in a reasonable manner.

I still haven't seen the sequels. Should I fix this?

I think 3 is the best. It's a prequel and has some cool stuff they do with the camera angles to increase tension.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

That plot synopsis is nuts. I'd watch an adaptation, but it would never get made. Hollywood ain't touching re-interpretations of the Christian creation myth; middle America would flip their shit.

As an aside, fuck middle America.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

That plot synopsis is nuts. I'd watch an adaptation, but it would never get made. Hollywood ain't touching re-interpretations of the Christian creation myth; middle America would flip their shit.

Do it on tv instead.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Morgan Freeman was a villain in China Syndrome? That movie about a fictional version of the three mile island nuclear accident. At least, I think he was, I can't remember anything about that film.

• Options

Noah says hi.

(Not Creation exactly, admittedly, but it was still a reinterpretation of stuff in Genesis. Middle America did, indeed, flip its shit.)

• Options
    Middle America Flips its shit about everything. Like say a touchdown catch during a sunday night football game...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The first two minutes of the new Half In the Bag are a very good response to what happens when you disagree with something everyone else says is a masterpiece how could you be a fool for thinking otherwise.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Lucky Number Slevin was aces

http://youtu.be/YwLrszpNrH4

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I do think the Blade Runner scene in question skirts rapeyness. Deckard definitely forces his will on Rachael. She's confused, scared, and yes, she does give in, but I do think we're either meant to feel ambivalent about Deckard in the scene or it's directed badly. It does fit in with the film noir mood of the film - few noir heroes are clearcut heroes and treat women as equals - but I don't think it's a scene that should be watched as straight romance, which is what the music suggests.
    Without condoning or condemning them, I think one reason you get quasi-rapey scenes like the one in Blade Runner, or the one in Brokeback Mountain, is that drama is conflict. "I really want to kiss you!" "I really want to kiss you too!" isn't very dramatic.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Would you folks be willing to throw out suggestions, basing them off of the grudge, the ring and insidious? That kind of creepy but not slasher horror movie.

Those are some of my absolute favorites. And the sequels to every one failed to live up.

Occulus
    Sinister
    Mama

People who aren't me liked The Conjuring

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I was hyped for Mama and it delivered up to a point imo. Gonna have to hit the video store for some of these

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Well, since you all seem to talk about Chronicle so much I finally rented it. And it was pretty good, even if I'm not a fan of the "found footage" schtick. Plus, being a Seattleite, a lot of it was that much more fun to watch.

Like that Metro bus getting thrown into that building, because Fuck Metro.

• Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Would you folks be willing to throw out suggestions, basing them off of the grudge, the ring and insidious? That kind of creepy but not slasher horror movie.

Those are some of my absolute favorites. And the sequels to every one failed to live up.

Occulus
    Sinister
    Mama

People who aren't me liked The Conjuring

I thought Sinister was the creepiest of the three, since I genuinely got that "NOPE NOT GOOD THAT'S BAD" feeling from the film reels which I don't get from much else other than creepy internet photos and the like. That said, its plot is ultimately silly and I still joke with my girlfriend to this day about Hawke's rules-lawyering in explaining the situation to his exasperated wife.
    Hawke is asked directly if he has moved their family "next door" to a house where another family was murdered. He safely responds "no" because he has, in fact, moved his family into a murder house.

Oculus had an interesting take on things but ultimately I feel like it didn't do as much with the premise as it could. It also bugged me that a character established that they understood the hard limits of what the mirror could do, and yet didn't plan with those limits in mind.
    If you know that the mirror can only affect people within a relatively small range, why not have someone observe the proceedings remotely?

If anyone liked The Innkeepers, make sure to check out the director's previous The House of the Devil. Honestly, I enjoyed it's classic horror story much more than the former's weird take on quarter-life ennui.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    My issue with both horror and slashers is that I don't like gore. So I have to do too much research before watching things

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Finally watched The Raid 2. Nowhere near as good as the first, it was just a collection of pretty good action scenes framed by a shitty video game plot with equally uninteresting writing.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Finally watched The Raid 2. Nowhere near as good as the first, it was just a collection of pretty good action scenes framed by a shitty video game plot with equally uninteresting writing.

This is how I felt about the first one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

I found the plot of the second one actually needed dumbing down. It was trying too much to be the Infernal Affairs/The Departed level of crime drama mixed in with all the OTT action set pieces and really you can't have both with something suffering. In particular you had at one point something like 9 plot points all running at once with more and more new characters being introduced at random.

I keep thinking if the plot was kept more streamlined to something like Enter The Dragon it would work so much better as I found the action set pieces were slicker, better shot, far more brutal and more entertaining.

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I found the plot of the second one actually needed dumbing down. It was trying too much to be the Infernal Affairs/The Departed level of crime drama mixed in with all the OTT action set pieces and really you can't have both with something suffering. In particular you had at one point something like 9 plot points all running at once with more and more new characters being introduced at random.

I keep thinking if the plot was kept more streamlined to something like Enter The Dragon it would work so much better as I found the action set pieces were slicker, better shot, far more brutal and more entertaining.

The plot was incredibly dumb and all the side plots were just added for more fight scenes.
    For example there's no reason at all why they didn't just shoot Koso. Hell, there's no reason why they didn't just use guns in almost every instance of an extended fight sequence. In the first movie the logic behind the fights held up, here it didn't at all. That was one of my biggest problems with it and why I just got kind of bored - it has no reason to exist other than to show off it's budget and fight choreography.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    My issue with both horror and slashers is that I don't like gore. So I have to do too much research before watching things

None of the 4 I mentioned are gorey.

Occulus probably has the most violent things that happen though.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

None of the 4 I mentioned are gorey.

Occulus probably has the most violent things that happen though.

Sold

• Options
    I just got back from The Congress.

It approaches some interesting ideas but sadly never actually reaches them, it just wanks around endlessly.

A real waste

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Hostel appeared on Netflix so I decided to give it a watch. 26 minutes in and nothing has happened yet, just the three dumb main characters chasing for pussy. What a boring fucking movie. Where's all the horrible controversial violence?

This discussion has been closed.