Options

Runnie's Replace's WHUMP! COMAK Thread

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    fat back

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I get a very good, very lean, hickory pepper bacon at the local farmer's market.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    A former housemate once made duck bacon.

It was amazing.

The end.

broken image link
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    maple bacon continues to be the best

and on the subject of eggs from a page or two ago, maple syrup is surprisingly amazing on scrambled eggs, especially with some fresh black pepper

i still remember going wide-eyed as a child after tasting the result of my overzealous syruping on a plate of pancakes and eggs

hey guys, guess which country's funny hat i live in

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I haven't had fresh bacon in years. I am saddened. Also, I would subscribe to Ronnie's food blog.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Dear bacon thread, I want bacon now

You jerks

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    who the hell wants "lean bacon"

it's like a fat pig's belly fat, smoked and cured and then fried in its own grease

Sure you don't want bacon that's just nothin' but fat, because it's probably some sort of horrifying reconstituted congealed fat product

But you don't want lean bacon either. It needs to be tender and pull apart easily in your mouth, nothin' worse than tough bacon.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    2014-08-25-Misery-Loafs-Company.jpg
    As a child, I left toast unattended for four minutes. When I returned, the toast was gone. My stepfather insisted it wasn't he, but rather abominable, toast-stealing creatures. We searched for them in the mountainous Himalayas, the desert of Sahara, and the frozen tundras of Siberia. After years of this futile hunt, I found his journal revealing the truth of the toast. Of course, I already knew that. I'm not an idiot!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The nice thing about bacon grease is you can save it and use it for all your cooking.

Vegetables are great when fried in a big 'ol dollop of congealed bacon grease.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    americans loving bacon despite not knowing what bacon is continues to be the weirdest thing about america

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    americans loving bacon despite not knowing what bacon is continues to be the weirdest thing about america

attitudes like this are why we fought a revolution

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Pancetta.

So good.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

it's like a fat pig's belly fat, smoked and cured and then fried in its own grease

Sure you don't want bacon that's just nothin' but fat, because it's probably some sort of horrifying reconstituted congealed fat product

But you don't want lean bacon either. It needs to be tender and pull apart easily in your mouth, nothin' worse than tough bacon.

Which is why you don't overcook it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The nice thing about bacon grease is you can save it and use it for all your cooking.

Vegetables are great when fried in a big 'ol dollop of congealed bacon grease.

I have heard from many folks including multiple forumers that duck fat is the way and the light.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I have heard that as well but I do not live in a place where duck fat is easy to come by.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The Chinese grocery stores here sell whole roast ducks and they are amazing.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    A friend of mine showed me how to make salt and pepper tofu properly. Now I can't stop eating salt and pepper tofu. I am eating salt and pepper tofu right now.

uGn5f.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There is a Chinese place just about a mile north of us that makes salt and pepper tofu and I pretty much always get it because I love it so much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular

everyone's saying lean like i said it, but i didn't. i just want it less fatty than the ones I've been mistakenly buying when I know there are better ones :(

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

We have a cut of meat we refer to as bacon. We like it. Fucking deal with it, already.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Gettin mad about bacon itt

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    It's all speck to me

Platy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There's apparently "bacon of the month" clubs you can join that will expose you to the wide world of bacon that exists outside the supermarket shelf.

If only I cooked enough breakfast for myself, I would sign up for that.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    There's apparently "bacon of the month" clubs you can join that will expose you to the wide world of bacon that exists outside the supermarket shelf.

If only I cooked enough breakfast for myself, I would sign up for that.

I subscribed to a monthly charcuterie club that once sent me some espresso cured bacon. Much, much better than it sounds, but of course basically unobtainable outside of that lottery.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Bacon has gone up in price over a dollar per pound where I live. I had bacon for the first time in months last week.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Bacon has gone up in price over a dollar per pound where I live. I had bacon for the first time in months last week.

pork in general has been high lately. I used to make Ground beef/Ground Pork burgers, but it suddenly became unfeasible

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Bacon is meat that has undergone a curing process; hence turkey and beef bacons. In the US it is also often smoked. There are many varieties of bacon that are, in essence, garbo-trash: most of these are available for purchase at the local supermarket. This is probably the crap that has got mister hallet mouthing off about rushers and back bacon. American pork belly, from a good source, and properly prepared, is among the finer cuts of pork in the world.

http://www.hamiam.com/bacon/

Order some bacon from those people, see if you can go back to buying it from the supermarket.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Bacon comes from pigs?

Ew.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »

pork in general has been high lately. I used to make Ground beef/Ground Pork burgers, but it suddenly became unfeasible

I heard a story on this a few months ago on NPR and one of the reasons they mentioned was that now everyone seems to want bacon in everything. They spoke to a restaurant that is now serving pig face since they can get them cheap.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I really like bacon but I wish the fad would die. I don't need bacon flavored ice cream shakes, bacon flavored popcorn, or bacon flavored hemorrhoid creme.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    sarukun wrote: »
    http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Bacon is meat that has undergone a curing process; hence turkey and beef bacons. In the US it is also often smoked. There are many varieties of bacon that are, in essence, garbo-trash: most of these are available for purchase at the local supermarket. This is probably the crap that has got mister hallet mouthing off about rushers and back bacon. American pork belly, from a good source, and properly prepared, is among the finer cuts of pork in the world.

http://www.hamiam.com/bacon/

Order some bacon from those people, see if you can go back to buying it from the supermarket.

that's good bacon i'm sure, but i can't really afford $10 a pound

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options

I heard a story on this a few months ago on NPR and one of the reasons they mentioned was that now everyone seems to want bacon in everything. They spoke to a restaurant that is now serving pig face since they can get them cheap.

oh my god, nerds terk mah bercon

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    There's been a general rise in meat prices anyway, a lot of it due to rises in prices of animal feed, which is due to rises in prices of grains, due to a whole lot of factors.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I love me some burnt bacon. Char that shit until it's black and crumbles when you put it in your mouth, mmmmm

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    There's been a general rise in meat prices anyway, a lot of it due to rises in prices of animal feed, which is due to rises in prices of grains, due to a whole lot of factors.

MAH BERCON

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    @sarukun it's "rasher" not "rusher"

in fact I think its only meaning as a word is to refer to a single slice of bacon

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Bacon is good. Putting bacon on everything is not.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

everyone's saying lean like i said it, but i didn't. i just want it less fatty than the ones I've been mistakenly buying when I know there are better ones :(

When I say "lean bacon" I want to clarify I don't mean like a strip of meat. There's still plenty of fat there. It just isn't the pre-packaged grocery store bacon that's mostly white fat with streaks of chewy gristle in it cut from force-fed pigs grown in little cages.

It's old-school bacon cut from a slab and it's delicious. So much flavor!

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    When I gave up on most pork products, I thought I'd miss bacon. But I enjoy Turkey bacon well enough, especially on a roll with egg and cheese from a Halal food cart.
    The last pork product I eat now is pepperoni on pizza. I don't go out of my way to get it, but sometimes if it's there, I try a slice.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    I like turkey bacon a lot, but it's extremely different

Although I do kinda want to go to the store and buy a pack of turkey bacon and just have a day

This discussion has been closed.