As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Party [Chat]

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Other homeless dude bouncing his head along to my music, cool

Wait by

I'm using headphones

When are you going to be done with being homeless.

Hahahahahahahaha

3 days ago? 2 days ago? Yesterday? Today?

I'm growing disillusioned, is my point

Almost certainly tomorrow though; social worker will be available then, and she's good at doing stuff
    Don't you have a job

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    real talk narwhal has anyone given you shit yet for being a homeless guy on a cellphone yet

or do they not see you as a homeless guy

That's the thing, right

Hobo with a tablet? The hell?

So security guards are confused by the obviously successful guy sleeping in a doorway

Other homeless people don't identify me as one of them and just ask me for money all day

Like yeah, I could get 1, maybe 2 nights in a hostel for the value of this tablet

But in terms of information, contact and entertainment, this thing is invaluable

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Simon everyone else is dumping you

I'm dating you

I'm sorry Narwhal but I am not poly, queer, or into bestiality

which rules dating you out of the question

Man if these are your top 3 reasons

I'm doing alright for myself!

I mean, it's an ongoing list

those were just the reasons that popped into my head

I also have a strict "no brustling" policy

suddenly

a guy who had been lurking chat for like, two months

closes a tab he had open for almost as long

the tab had a PM he had written, deleted, wrote again, rewrote

trying to express how he felt

but now

now there's no point

the dream is dead

• Options
    And future not-homeless Narwhal will REALLY appreciate having some sort of electronic, at least :P

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I've never seen any of the Hunger Games movies. It just doesn't seem that interesting to me. And I'm vaguely annoyed at the wave of dystopias it's kicked off, although I suppose that's better than Twilight ripoffs.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    there should be more role models who are just flat-out ugly

But I would be a TERRIBLE role model!

• Options

Wait by

I'm using headphones

Hahahahahahahaha

Almost certainly tomorrow though; social worker will be available then, and she's good at doing stuff
    Don't you have a job

I do not!

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

I'm dating you

suddenly

but now

now there's no point

the dream is dead

That poor lurker.

Simon you monster.

• Options

I'm dating you

suddenly

but now

now there's no point

the dream is dead

Oh noooooo, come back dream lurker!

Let's do freaky stuff together

Forget simon, he wasn't right for you anyway

Meet me at my place

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I got broked up with by text

It was fucking lame

I saw her the next day because I was like, hey, can we talk about this (she broke up with me rather than moving in)

I mean, it was probably the wrong thing to do, because I think I wanted answers that I either wasn't able to understand or she couldn't give

But yeah

That was fucked up.

Don't break up by text

I mean, well, most of the time.

Some times people can't handle it, and you need to do it over text so they don't explode in person.

wanting to talk to someone who broke up with you to like

further understand it

that can be reasonable, especially if they were super brusque about it

so long as you are still accepting that the break-up happened

you might be hoping you can salvage things, and that's human and natural

flat out refusing to be broken up with is super weird, though

Agreed.

I mean, I generally don't think that if you've spent most of the previous day openly weeping then you probably aren't going to be in the right place to understand why the break up happened.

To this day I kind of speculate about it, but that's okay.

Sometimes you don't get to know why a relationship ended.

And that's life.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Sorry, lurker, but it never would have worked out

I'm sure you'll find someone else eventually

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Wait by

I'm using headphones

Hahahahahahahaha

Don't you have a job

I do not!
    Pretty sure you do. Maybe you left it in your other pair of pants

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I've never seen any of the Hunger Games movies. It just doesn't seem that interesting to me. And I'm vaguely annoyed at the wave of dystopias it's kicked off, although I suppose that's better than Twilight ripoffs.

They do themselves a disservice by focusing the lens so tightly and featuring something as hamfisted as the Games themselves, really

But, it's YA fiction, after all

It's important to be very explicit when identifying who is the villain

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    That lurker was me...

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The correct answer to break ups is to sever all contact immediately. Cancel accounts. Block on Facebook. The works.

You think you don't need to do this, but that's because TV has lied to you and implied that it's totally normal for people who break up to still be around each other. But it isn't. It will feel weird, and you shouldn't do it.

• Options
    real talk narwhal has anyone given you shit yet for being a homeless guy on a cellphone yet

That's the thing, right

So security guards are confused by the obviously successful guy sleeping in a doorway

Other homeless people don't identify me as one of them and just ask me for money all day

Like yeah, I could get 1, maybe 2 nights in a hostel for the value of this tablet

But in terms of information, contact and entertainment, this thing is invaluable

yeah, that's a thing people don't get about poverty

you have to start thinking short vs. long term

when i was right on the brink, before my disability assistance kicked in, some lady from welfare came to my apartment, which i was barely affording (and rent was basically like 90% of my welfare cheque, leaving me almost no money for food and i was literally going days without eating and taking painkillers to deal with it)

and was like, well, you have a laptop, and an xbox, you could sell those, they're worth money

do you really need those things

i'm like, i will get maybe $50 for the Xbox, tops, and it's unlikely i will get that in cash, if I go to a pawn shop I will likely get $25 in cash, if I go to an electronics store they'll give me $50 but in store credit, I can't eat $50 in store credit

laptop it's probably like, maybe a few hundred, but it's a similar issue. the most money i'd get for it would be a place that'd give it to me in credit, and the problem is i gotta eat, and even then it's less than a month's groceries? tops.

and what i am losing in return is internet access, which is huge, and my primary way of keeping myself sane and connected to people during this time in my life. it is also a loss i will not be able to recover from for the forseeable future. i am likely to be impoverished for a long time, and thus for the benefit of less than a month's worth of groceries (which i can sometimes get from the food bank for free, which is what i have been doing to not die) i would lose something that is effectively irreplaceable.

same goes for my clothes and a lot of my other material possessions

this is something a lot of people don't understand about poverty

it's like, they want you to show you're trying not to be poor anymore... by essentially nuking your ability to get your shit together once the current crisis is passed? what

• Options

Wait by

I'm using headphones

Hahahahahahahaha

Don't you have a job

I do not!
    Pretty sure you do. Maybe you left it in your other pair of pants

Wait when did I get another pair of pants? :smiley:

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    The correct answer to break ups is to sever all contact immediately. Cancel accounts. Block on Facebook. The works.

You think you don't need to do this, but that's because TV has lied to you and implied that it's totally normal for people who break up to still be around each other. But it isn't. It will feel weird, and you shouldn't do it.

Can confirm, just played out the string on my lease together for 5 weeks after breaking up with my girlfriend

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

That's the thing, right

when i was right on the brink, before my disability assistance kicked in, some lady from welfare came to my apartment, which i was barely affording (and rent was basically like 90% of my welfare cheque, leaving me almost no money for food and i was literally going days without eating and taking painkillers to deal with it)

and was like, well, you have a laptop, and an xbox, you could sell those, they're worth money

i'm like, i will get maybe $50 for the Xbox, tops, and it's unlikely i will get that in cash, if I go to a pawn shop I will likely get $25 in cash, if I go to an electronics store they'll give me $50 but in store credit, I can't eat $50 in store credit

laptop it's probably like, maybe a few hundred, but it's a similar issue. the most money i'd get for it would be a place that'd give it to me in credit, and the problem is i gotta eat, and even then it's less than a month's groceries? tops.

and what i am losing in return is internet access, which is huge, and my primary way of keeping myself sane and connected to people during this time in my life. it is also a loss i will not be able to recover from for the forseeable future. i am likely to be impoverished for a long time, and thus for the benefit of less than a month's worth of groceries (which i can sometimes get from the food bank for free, which is what i have been doing to not die) i would lose something that is effectively irreplaceable.

it's like, they want you to show you're trying not to be poor anymore... by essentially nuking your ability to get your shit together once the current crisis is passed? what

This is one of my go to stories when I try to explain why stupid bullshit like "poor people have microwaves" is stupid bullshit. And also why generally speaking society as a whole would benefit from not forcing people to liquidate major assets in times of need, that they will still need later.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

At very best if you think it's a possibility revisit the idea of some kind of relationship with the person several months down the line once the breakup period is over.

• Options

That's the thing, right

"I'm not satisfied with your claim to poverty until you have literally nothing!"

"Well ... if it gets that bad, will you help me then?"

"What no lol things cost money."

"I ... that's exactly my point. That's why I'm gonna hold on to the 30 things I DO still own! Can you enumerate YOUR belongings?"

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Can confirm, just played out the string on my lease together for 5 weeks after breaking up with my girlfriend

Was she not down with your sick beats

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Was she not down with your sick beats

She thought they were da dopest

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    The Raid is the future of action movies

Hero as a Family Father, Everyman etc. scenes pared down to the absolute minimum, because every market's everyman is different.

just fights fights fights all day long

? this is empirically incorect

marvel yo

transformers is eating marvel for lunch in china afaik

China has just realized that they're a big place and movies should be set there.

The latest Transformers is set in Hong Kong isn't it?

I can't say it's a trend I'm against either. It's really nice to have cities other then New York get blow'd up in movies.

marvel are also ahead on this

iron man 3 has a whole scene filmed specifically for china where iron man goes to china and does china stuff

its derpy as shit but that is life

IM 3 had Tony
    there for a minute for surgery and a Chinese doctor character appear in the beginning and end for ten seconds total. I was disappointed we didn't see some insane shit in China. :(

Chinese version of the movie was different, actually. That character had an expanded role and more lines.

Not that much different. Well, they did make the movie a 2 hour commercial for an energy drink.

ThunderMuscle!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Should have spun more Babymetal

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    what if, hypothetically, you broke up with a person by text accidentally because they were already displeased with you because of a miscommunication and you were discussing it by text and you blurted out that you thought they were getting too attached in a text message because you thought it would be good to be honest and then realized, well, this is probably going to lead to a break-up, isn't it

and what if, hypothetically, this happened three days after they were struck by a vehicle

would that be bad

(hypothetically)

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    what if, hypothetically, you broke up with a person by text accidentally because they were already displeased with you because of a miscommunication and you were discussing it by text and you blurted out that you thought they were getting too attached in a text message because you thought it would be good to be honest and then realized, well, this is probably going to lead to a break-up, isn't it

and what if, hypothetically, this happened three days after they were struck by a vehicle

would that be bad

(hypothetically)

breakups ignore all schedules and life events

• Options
    Like if I tried I could probably get $300 for all of my stuff

Enough for like 2 weeks in a hostel

But also I could never change my underwear

You know

The little things

• Options
    chinese censors need to get used to the idea of shanghai being blown up, because new york city gets blown up all the damn time and doesn't appear to have actually blown up for all of that

only a couple times

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

years ago, i met a woman and we dated for like a year. it was a long distance thing, she lived across the country from me, so it was tricky. we saw each other about twice after we first got together; once when she came to visit me, and once when i went to visit her.

in the end, things were sorta in a difficult place for both of us, in terms of where our lives were at. things really couldn't continue like they were, the long distance thing wasn't going to work out, and neither of us was really in a place with our lives where it was going to be a smart idea to move across the country to be with the other

so she decided to break up with me, but her options to do so were: 1. fly across the country to break up with me, 2. have me fly across the country to be broken up with, 3. call me and break up with me over the phone, 4. break up with me over email (break up with me over text wasn't an option because back in those days I still rocked a pager instead of a cellphone), 5. send me a letter in the mail.

so she chose option 4 because it would let her be the most clear, complete, and fair about all the reasons and also allow her to do it without like, either one of us bursting into tears. she sent me the email. I read it, wrote a reply back explaining that i understood and told her i was happy for the time we had together and the way she enriched my life, and we talked on the phone for a bit and had an amicable parting.

we went our separate ways for two years but stayed friends, still talked online periodically, and shared the same mutual friends circle. we still saw each other at some events and stuff, chit-chatted and stuff. we both saw other people in the intervening time (in my case, this was disastrous, but that's neither here nor there)

then we got back together after those two years, and she moved across the country to be with me, and we lived together for five years.

we got married a few months ago

so

yeah

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

would that be bad

(hypothetically)

Only if you were the one to hit her with the hypothetical vehicle.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

?

You're joking, right?

I mean yes, you should probably take a breather after a breakup, but blocking and cancelling? Only if they are people you should have broke up with a long time ago.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Forgot how excellent drinking and playing rock band is -- I'm not totally sold on pax prime but this is solid

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

There is no one way to handle a breakup.

Jacob, I meant to type up something about Gencon and left the Jacob-signal in my drafts. Sorry.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    that story is also why i have to keep my mouth shut every time someone has a bad break up with someone they're completely in love with and they're still hoping they'll get back together and people are telling them to let it go and that it will never happen and that doesn't happen in real life because really, at that time, that is what that person needs to hear to get over it.

They do not need my dumb ass saying "Well, actually, if you give it a couple years, you might actually get back together with them, you never know. My wife and I broke up for a few years and got back together and we've been together for over five years now and it's the best thing in my entire life. Just sayin', bro."

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    microwaves and internet access sit in a bizarre vacuum that exists because the bourgeois left takes them for granted when they ask for subsidies to healthcare and education. one often hears the argument that it's all just plastic consumer crap from china, a real radical advocates worker empowerment via organic produce and home gardens in every lot, never mind that this is ridiculously untenable for people who cannot organize a budget never mind a garden

the early 20th century equivalent is piped running water and electrification to all households, which is likewise not, strictly speaking, necessary for living, but it achieves certain elite social goals to pursue mass ownership. but the shift from the old left to the new left seems to have shifted this kind of perspective to a middle-class narrative of empowerment, which unsurprisingly mutates into a narrative of personal responsibility

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options

That's the thing, right

This is one of my go to stories when I try to explain why stupid bullshit like "poor people have microwaves" is stupid bullshit. And also why generally speaking society as a whole would benefit from not forcing people to liquidate major assets in times of need, that they will still need later.

but come on

Let's take this to the logical extension here

You don't really need 2 kidneys, do you? Plenty of people get by fine with just one!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

would that be bad

(hypothetically)

breakups ignore all schedules and life events

Yeah -- a friend got a letter from his ex the week after he broke with her about how in the following week her mom had gotten sick and her car caught fire or something but Jesus loves him. There were many schadenfreude Lols which were maybe overly mean-spirited and I feel a bit bad about but shit happens

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »

That's the thing, right

but come on

Let's take this to the logical extension here

You don't really need 2 kidneys, do you? Plenty of people get by fine with just one!

I don't even have two fully-functioning kidneys!

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Variable wrote: »
    @elki nice OP, just noticed

how many years ago was that afternoon

@Variable 3. That was good times; I should visit NYC again. Maybe Eddy should have a party at his parents', at a convenient time for me. When is their next vacation?

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.