As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crisis on Infinite [Superheroes]: A Multimedia Adventure

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    They're eagles, right

Like, literal big birds

What are they gonna do with the Ring's power, how would it even corrupt them in any useful way

Because those Eagles are in fact not just big birds but rather the favoured subjects of Manwe, who is the Lord of the Valar and servant of Eru, and they are clever beings that think for themselves, have Kings and Chieftains and so on, and notably are proud and imperious types. The Ring would almost certainly be able to seduce them with dreams of becoming dominant over the other beasts of the world, hunting and slaying as they see fit, and so keeping the Ring away from things with wingspans like fucking fighter jets and talons as long as your arm seems like a pretty good idea.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    the worst part of the harry potter epilogue is that all the names in it are terrible

like, the names in that series aren't generally subtle but the epilogue is basically "hey kids you're all named after dead friends and relatives ok cool"

SCORPIUS wasn't

That's the one part of the ep I like, because it makes me think of Farscape. Oh Scorpy, you're one of my favorite supervillains of all time.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    They're eagles, right

Like, literal big birds

What are they gonna do with the Ring's power, how would it even corrupt them in any useful way

Take it and go crazy in a cave where sauron's boys will come kill them and take it back

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'd argue that Tolkien is an example of a writer with waaaay too much world building.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Also Tolkien was a Catholic and the Eagles are a big of a representation of divine intervention, and in his view you do not question or demand divine intervention but rather hold to faith, do your best, and if God does intervene then that's Gods will and plan, for He moves in mysterious ways etc.

Solar on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Also Tolkien was a Catholic and the Eagles are a big of a representation of divine intervention, and in his view you do not question or demand divine intervention but rather hold to faith, do your best, and if God does intervene then that's Gods will and plan, for He moves in mysterious ways etc.

So him talking to the butterfly was his version of praying?

• Options
    edited September 2014

Mythrandir is literally an angel sent to Middle-Earth. He can ask for it whenever the hell he wants.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    If anything gandalf probably actively tried to keep the Eagles away from frodo until the very end

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I had to google what Mythrandir was

I still cannot believe I'm willingly buying a Lord of the Rings game later this month

It looks super rad though

• Options

It's not really a literal representation (it is sort of, though), but 1) Gandalf is an angelic being anyway, so things are a bit different for him, and 2) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings are rather different in a number of ways, and this is one of them.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Fly You Fools fan theory. Warning: is reddit.

Basically, why did Gandalf say 'fly you fools'? Because he had a secret plan he hadn't told anyone about to travel to the eagles and fly to Mordor.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    I thought fly was just a fancier (British-ier) way of saying "flee"

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Fly You Fools fan theory. Warning: is reddit.

Basically, why did Gandalf say 'fly you fools'? Because he had a secret plan he hadn't told anyone about to travel to the eagles and fly to Mordor.

Uh

Its because that means run away

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I thought fly was just a fancier (British-ier) way of saying "flee"

Yes it is, that is why it's a joke.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    These are the same arguments that people make when hey have no idea what plot holes are and say a narrative is full of them.

Care to explain?

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    These are the same arguments that people make when hey have no idea what plot holes are and say a narrative is full of them.

Care to explain?

The things you are complaining about are things that are ultimately inconsequential and things that the narrative simply does not care about. The world building is extensive when it comes to the school and Harry's environment before school, and the sports world and stuff that matters to harry. The political and economic stuff only matters inasmuch as Rowling sees fit to make them basically conservative nightmares. Asking why wizards don't heal cancer is missing the point. What matters is that the school feels like a breathing living place and that diagon alley feels like a hidden anachronistic wizard area, and they do.

Why didn't wizards help in WWII? Who cares? They did or didn't and whatever. The minister is part of the British government but they have no place in actual muggle affairs? Yes because the narrative revolves around the genre convention that magic must stay hidden from the world at large.

You're looking for things that don't matter and that the narrative has no business broaching.

• Options
    Yeah I mean it's not to say that I wouldn't be interested in the series if it did have a narrative that explores those things

but it doesn't, which is fine

• Options
    If you want a book that wants to somewhat seriously examine magic coming into the real world and how that would effect politics, read Jonathan strange and mr. Norell

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Like I said before, the crux of those issues is that HP exists in this British bubble. Yeah you have foreign schools and hermione sends her parents to Australia iirc, but for the most part, the series doesn't even deal with voldemort's impact anywhere other than the UK.

It's fine if you keep everything confined within that bubble but test it too much and the whole thing pops.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think Harry Potter has issues with its worldbuilding

But I also think that it doesn't truly matter to the story being told and it is coming very close to picking nits

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    http://charlessoule.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/why-i-did-it-on-signing-with-marvel/
    So why sign a deal at all, if things were so great? Well, it’s pretty simple. Writing eight titles a month (which I’ve been doing for quite a while now) is no joke. It’s a constant tightrope walk, requiring serious focus and discipline. I’ve proven to myself that I can do it, but now that I have, it’s time for a different challenge – I want to know what I can accomplish with a smaller slate, where I can really dive in. I’ve accomplished breadth, now I want to see about depth. There are creator-owned projects I’m anxious to explore, as well as some different kinds of writing – I have a few novels to polish and hopefully release, for one thing. Also, Marvel is giving me the opportunity to really play in their sandbox in a big way.

• Options
    Wait so is he going to write comics or novels

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Not-DC comics and also novels.

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Marvel giving him an opportunity to play in the sandbox in a big way?

Avengers? Maybe a main x-book? Whatever, I'd probably read it either way.

• Options
    I didn't paste it but he was just talking about future Inhuman plans, Death of Wolverine (and the impact that's going to bring), and She-Hulk.

• Options
    Why would it need to involve anywhere else? Voldemort is a domestic threat, not an international one (he doesn't really seem to be interested of anywhere outside Britain), and magical society is small enough that overseas relations might be very ad hoc rather complex, formalised diplomatic and economic affairs.

• Options
    I hope she hulk is the whatever you call it that has to read Logan's will

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

Solicitor

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Well, her and Murdock are the only two superhero attorneys in the entire world, so

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Sassori wrote: »

Solicitor

Thank you smart person

Langly on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    People don't have wills read aloud anymore. They used to do it when people were illiterate, but nowadays you can just let people read the will for themselves. But was estate attorneys who did it when it happened.

http://wills.about.com/od/estateplanning101/qt/What-Happens-At-The-Reading-Of-A-Will.htm

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    People still do it.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    did i tell you guys that the pottermore sorting hat put me in Slytherin

because that is a thing that happened

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    did i tell you guys that the pottermore sorting hat put me in Slytherin

because that is a thing that happened

I think I was put in Slytherin too. I made an account, but never actually did anything with it.

• Options
    It's enough of a cultural memory that they just had Xavier's read.

It's like CRT monitors and circle dial phones.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Why would it need to involve anywhere else? Voldemort is a domestic threat, not an international one (he doesn't really seem to be interested of anywhere outside Britain), and magical society is small enough that overseas relations might be very ad hoc rather complex, formalised diplomatic and economic affairs.

I think voldemort focused on england because that is his hood, so to speak

It has: his old teacher, his cadre of classmate cronies, the one person in the world to whom his fate seems bound, the queen, his collection of immortality items, and presumably the rest of his nose (somewhere)

once he had taken the motherland and eliminated all rivals of note who is to say he wouldn't have expanded outwards (or just declared himself world wide wizarding world leader and had his cabal start knocking over the other centers of wizard power)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I couldn't help being curious about what the "wizarding world" looked like on other continents

Like maybe there were nations where there wasn't such a clear divide

What would the wizarding world in China have looked like? Or Egypt? Any of the places with old stories and old powers?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Who's to say he would

Who's to say that any other country really gives a shit about a homegrown UK sorcerer? Or even know that anything is going on?

Like, we aren't talking about a people who have espionage agencies, really.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Who's to say he would

Who's to say that any other country really gives a shit about a homegrown UK sorcerer? Or even know that anything is going on?

Like, we aren't talking about a people who have espionage agencies, really.

It's me I am to say he would and that they would care

Because I think it fits his super villain progression and also I like it more than a guy who wants to just be the boss of one dreary little island despite being a powerhouse

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.