As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One does not simply have a Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor game!

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Games and Technology
Talion_on_battlefield.jpg

Gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFgvvgGEpkQ

Story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exDclDyafAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqeGvr2m6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM4JsvEBYB8

I have to say, out of all of the Lord of the Rings games I've seen since the films, this one has possibly the most potential. Why? Lord of the Rings games have had a mixed reputation over the years. The PS2 era brawlers were fun, if short. The Battle for Middle Earth was a decent strategy series, and that's about it (not counting LEGO, LEGO is its own thing). Remember this gem? I don't know ANYONE who ever completed it.

cover_large.jpg

Here we have an interesting premise, good story set up (FIRST AGE LORE REPRESENT!), nice voice acting, AC inspired gameplay, and attempts to go further than "just another LOTR licensed game". I'd rather they attempt new content like this than a thousand "follow the movie, but with side characters!" stories. There so much you can do with Tolkien's setting in a game, and I hope it leads the way for developers to explore more of Middle Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3-nwWDobM

Sterica on

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    re. previous LOTR games,Lord of the Rings:War in the North was surprisingly good fun with a couple of mates.

as to this game, I am looking forward to getting my Creed on in Mordor

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Every time I see the free flow Batman combat system being used where it doesn't belong, I feel like drinking.

There is an entire genre of games out there strictly about tense, complex, high-skill battles between a varied cast of characters. I'm disappointed that nobody has even made the attempt to exploit that resource, instead opting for what amounts to rythm-game QTE sequences (there's nothing wrong with those sequences, but come on - do we need them for every single Goddamn game?)

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If it's done well, who's to say it doesn't belong? The important thing is it looks like they're trying to avoid some of the bigger LotR game pitfalls.

There's also some story precedence for tragic revenge stories within the Tolkien universe, and that looks like the right way to go.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Where it doesn't belong? What, does Wayne Enterprises have a patent on that shit? It's worked great for the Arkham Series, got improved on in Sleeping Dogs, and I'm curious and excited about it here.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    I just played through War In The North this weekend in anticipation for this. This looks wonderful, even if it's non-canon as hell.

• Options
    War in the North is fun, except for that bullshit bit where you defend the Dwarven Gate. Or was that another LotR game?

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    No that was that game, took me about 15 tries, and I only beat the trolls after one of them glitches and froze.

• Options
    Yeah, that part sucks. Dunno how long my lady wizard spent during that bit. Might be easier during co-op.

• Options
    War in the North is fun, except for that bullshit bit where you defend the Dwarven Gate. Or was that another LotR game?

I passed because of its coop nature. Nice to hear it wasn't bad though.

What we really need is a Glorfindel character action game set during the first age. Just imagine, Gondolin is burning below the mountains, a few ragged survivors are running for their lives, a Balrog appears... and then:

• Options
    So there's this size chart of LotR dragons.

I just want a game where you fight the one on the far right.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Good ol' Ancalagon. Now tell me Platinum couldn't make an Eärendil showdown to do justice to that scene. :P

Edit: Also,
    HC: The Nemesis system, a thinking/learning gaming platform, was used to make “Shadow.” How does it affect the characters and storytelling aspect of gameplay?

MD: [The characters in the game] have a concept of memory. So if they’ve survived a conflict with you, or they’ve defeated you or if they’ve been stabbed in the back, they can become confident and vicious or they can become paranoid and fearful. Because their emotions are so extreme, that leads to things that are good for gameplay, like coming after you and hunting for you or fleeing at the first sight of you, or putting themselves in the middle of a stronghold and surrounding themselves with more bodyguards. So there’s this mapping of the idea of personalities and motivations and your gameplay. Over and above that is the writing of these guys. Turning them into characters that actually feel like villains was so important as well. We worked with quite a few writers, but one of them was Dan Abnett, who’s written for Marvel and currently does “Guardians of the Galaxy.” He took all of these ideas and moments that we were capturing for gameplay, these showdowns and confrontations, and he, along with the other writers, made them into these memorable soundbites and moments.

Get hyped.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

Eh, after a certain part it becomes ridiculous. Like, you couldn't engage Ancalagon in physical combat unless some bullshit Deus Ex Machina device transformed you into some kind of giant, or, alternatively, you defeat him some other way in which case his size doesn't really matter.

With Smaugh at least you could get some "Shadow of the Collossus" style battles. Which, to be honest, aren't that great either. One single TOUCH from something that big and you'd be crushed, the only reason they don't do that is...videogames.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited September 2014
    The whole point of the First age is that it's the times of myths and legends and guys and gals so impossibly badass their descendants ten times removed are worthy to help save the world.

Tolkien relied on the old literary trick of letting your imagination do the work. "So yeah, there was this Dragon the size of a mountain and Eärendil fought a sky duel with it for days on his flying ship. It was probably pretty sweet. Only going to spend three sentences on it though."

Just give it to Platinum games. :P

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I don't know ANYONE who ever completed it.

I did!

I want to like this Mordor game, but it just looks so off. Combat is right out of Batman/AssCreed and the rest of it just looks too story heavy. I just want a game, not a poorly made movie. Plus, Talion looks and acts like a major douchebag.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Because if this Lord of the Rings is known for one thing, it's the lack of story.

Anyway, I'm totally down for this game, really curious about seeing just how indepth the Nemesis System actually is, and open world Mordor seems neat.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I did!

I want to like this Mordor game, but it just looks so off. Combat is right out of Batman/AssCreed and the rest of it just looks too story heavy. I just want a game, not a poorly made movie. Plus, Talion looks and acts like a major douchebag.

Eh, I like Troy Baker's acting.

Just looking at that old SNES gameplay now gives me headaches.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure the scale in that is out of whack. Primarily because Turin killing Glaurung couldn't have happened the way it did if he was that large.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I did!

Eh, I like Troy Baker's acting.

Just looking at that old SNES gameplay now gives me headaches.

Oh it was AWFUL, don't get me wrong. But I finished it. With a PERFECT ENDING in fact, no hobbit dead.

I'm not ripping on Baker's performance quality, I'm just saying the direction thay had him take is into Douchebag Country.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Roosterteeth preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPymQKq7qCI

Two words: troll hijacking.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    So this looks great mostly because I am a fan of AC and LOTR.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't buy this?

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Jungleskye wrote: »
    So this looks great mostly because I am a fan of AC and LOTR.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't buy this?

Everything I have heard about it makes it sound like a solid, interesting game. You should probably wait for reviews though!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    In certain aspects it looks a little b grade and unpolished, but frankly it looks like it has more original ideas and stuff to do than most AAA games, it looks super fun, and god damn it's LOTR, and it's an original story in that world. It's pretty much a case of it'll take some seriously bad reviews to stop me from buying it, like lower than a 6 average even

• Options
    An open world game LotR game is cool enough, but setting it in the most badass part of the setting, a place literally filled to the brim with monsters and mooks is pure gold.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    In certain aspects it looks a little b grade and unpolished, but frankly it looks like it has more original ideas and stuff to do than most AAA games, it looks super fun, and god damn it's LOTR, and it's an original story in that world. It's pretty much a case of it'll take some seriously bad reviews to stop me from buying it, like lower than a 6 average even

Unpolished and b grade are things that excite me more than you can imagine

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    Not to start shit, but an unpolished b game with clever ideas or fun mechanics can appeal to me more then a triple AAA blockbuster blow out. Like, I can honestly say Alan Wake was a helluva lot more memorable and interesting then Destiny, despite having a fraction of the budget or graphics. I'm pretty stoked for this, just to observe the Nemesis system at play.

I see this is an action RPG apparently, so I'm pretty curious what kind of loot they'll be.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    It has Troy Baker and Nolan North.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I will be buying this because the idea of creating my own army of orcs and having them backstab their way to the top while play Gondor batman is incredibly exciting.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    I have a sneaking suspicion this will be baller, and everyone will say, "Who expected that?", and I'll say "ME."

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Really excited to see how this plays out. And I will admit, I'm a sucker for creative Tolkien lore. I really like the Wraith angle here. It doesn't seem as "extreme" as the Force Unleashed, mostly because you can "can" and probably will be frequently overpowered and killed. But that just feeds back into the nemesis system for enemies. That random guy who killed you when you were SO CLOSE to finishing that mission? Well, now he's a miniboss himself, and you can get revenge on that specific enemy without reverting to a prior save state or checkpoint. I like having a story reason for death and failure in a game. Consequences!

In a new interview, they confirmed there is no health regeneration system. Only healing items will replenish your health.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    From what I've gathered, it's the same three weapons the whole game, but they can be upgraded and altered via collecting runes and such from fallen bosses. No word on any armor upgrades, that plus the preorder bonus being a skin makes me wonder if they'res any armor upgrades at all. Don't get me wrong, still stoked, but the lack of armor or weapons to gain via quest/loot seems kinda dumb.

On the other hand, if you look at it as something like the Arkham games where it's an action game with RPG elements, it becomes a lot more fair.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    In a new interview, they confirmed there is no health regeneration system. Only healing items will replenish your health.
    That's not entirely true. There are numerous runes that regenerate health based on doing specific actions (headshot kills, backstabs, etc.).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Is there some reason why they're practically the only popular male video game voice actors? There have to be a ton of other actors trying to cut their teeth in that industry. I've also wondered why Rockstar VA's like Rob Weithoff or James McCaffrey to name two of many never do anything not-Rockstar (Weithoff hasn't even done anything besides RDR).

Bubby on
  • Options
    Bubby wrote: »

Is there some reason why they're practically the only popular male video game voice actors? There have to be a ton of other actors trying to cut their teeth in that industry. I've also wondered why Rockstar VA's like Rob Weithoff or James McCaffrey to name two of many never do anything not-Rockstar (Weithoff hasn't even done anything besides RDR).

because for some reason gamers pop gigantic boners whenever their names are mentioned.

I've been watching some gameply vids for this and what exactly is there to do in the game besides combat? Nothing I've found seems to go into that. And what's the whole point of critters remembering you exactly? It doesn't seem to have a huge effect on them except for dialogue they give.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Really excited to see how this plays out. And I will admit, I'm a sucker for creative Tolkien lore. I really like the Wraith angle here. It doesn't seem as "extreme" as the Force Unleashed, mostly because you can "can" and probably will be frequently overpowered and killed. But that just feeds back into the nemesis system for enemies. That random guy who killed you when you were SO CLOSE to finishing that mission? Well, now he's a miniboss himself, and you can get revenge on that specific enemy without reverting to a prior save state or checkpoint. I like having a story reason for death and failure in a game. Consequences!

Have they explained what happens when you "die"?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm sorry that liking them is not cool

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Have they explained what happens when you "die"?

Talion is already dead, so similar to the Ringwraiths, I'm assuming his corpse just "reanimates" after an unspecified amount of time. He almost certainly can be permanently killed like the Witch King, but it's going to require a lot more than the average orc is capable of.

In gameplay terms whichever enemy kills you, whether its a grunt or a named boss, gets "promoted" and will have additional dialogue and reactions when you meet them again. They also level up so they're even harder to defeat the second time. So if you lose to one enemy many times, they could potentially become as powerful as the warbosses themselves. That's my understanding.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm very curious to see how this turns out. Fingers crossed and all that. I really just can't tell right now even with the copious amounts of video out there. I've stopped looking since it's relatively close at this point.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

The Nolan North package includes sound effects. Not a bad deal. :P

And he's used to doing mocap too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB-Fw6yxAcE

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    BTW, if this is lame, I was never here.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    *screenshots this for posterity*

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!