Options

[Arrow] The best Batman show without Batman.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm more leery because it would be on CBS, the land of the generic old people show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm more leery because it would be on CBS, the land of the generic old people show.

Nah, that's ME-TV Memorable Entertainment TV.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Looks like there's going to be another one to add to the list.

Supergirl got picked up by CBS.
    Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Berlanti and Adler will write the script and executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Sarah Schechter. Also closely involved in the development of the project has been DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer Geoff Johns.

Why does Superman even need to exist in this world at all?

• Options
    edited September 2014

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Fantastic news, can't wait for a show about Kara.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I wonder what universe Supergirl takes place in. The fact that it's CBS means it's probably not Arrowverse, but the fact there wasn't any mentions of grittiness, realism, modernity, but also that she actually is going to be a hero means it's probably not the Goyerverse of the films, and the fact that it's not a dumb ass prequel pretending it's not a superhero show but actually starting with Kara becoming a hero means it's probably not the same as Fox's Gotham.

And it's certainly not going to be the same as Constantine...

So, wait, that's going to be 5 separate live action film and television universes DC will have going at once?

Top shelf, DC!

Pony on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So we've got like a whole bunch of alternate Earth's going on like in the comics? I'm cool with that.

• Options
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    So we've got like a whole bunch of alternate Earth's going on like in the comics? I'm cool with that.

I guess!

What makes it hilarious is meanwhile at Marvel they're bouncing around on bags of money like they're spacehoppers, literally making billions of dollars, and having a big shared universe across their films and now their television properties are a part of that creative and marketing strategy. Like their upcoming Netflix series are supposed to share the same universe as Agents of SHIELD and the rest of the MCU, and that is supposed to expand their crossover fanbase. The numbers support that as pretty legit!

The only Marvel properties that aren't part of this strategy are the ones that got unfortunately sold off to other companies back before Marvel Films was a thing and Disney bought Marvel (X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc.) Marvel can't really get those back so long as those rights holders keep making movies and shit for them, which is why we keep getting shitty Spider-Man sequels and stuff.

But this is the DC thread, so let's talk DC, right? Well the thing is, DC can't get it's shit together with this strategy. Like, yes, in the comics there's Elseworlds and Earth 2's and whatnot but those still are either self-contained limited run tales (like Red Son) or comprise an entire imprint that comprise many different series that share a universe with each other (like Earth 2, post-New 52).

The CW guys seem to kinda have the right of it with the Flash and Arrow sharing a universe and Flash being introduced on Arrow before being spun off into his own show. That works. Like, for example, my father in law is a fan of Arrow despite the fact that he is not a comic book fan whatsoever, and he's excited about the Flash and plans to watch the premiere because it's a spin-off of a show he already likes featuring a character he already knows. It's a proven recipe for success, even when you aren't drawing upon the pre-existing fans of the source material you're still gaining fans of the "universe" you have created.

And as much shit as I give Goyer and Snyder they at least kinda sorta seem to get that with their new movie attempt? Like, they're trying. Their hope is to spin other movies off this next one, and carry fanbases forward from there.

But the rest of DC's properties seem to be getting carved up to different networks and efforts much like Marvel was doing like a dozen years ago, and because of that they can't get that momentum going or establish the same kind of brand awareness and universal cross-promotion.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Something I noticed with casting; I'll spoil it in case anyone wants to go in dark. This is for Arrow and Flash.
    Peter Stormare is coming in as Vertigo.
    Dominic Purcell is coming in as Heat Wave.
    Wentworth Miller is coming in as Captain Cold.

It's the Prison Break reunion I always wanted!

sig.gif
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm not crazy about there being super powers in the Arrowverse, to be honest. They always look super hokey on TV.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure that you have to have a shared universe just because Marvel does it.

Would it be cool? Sure. Is it necessary? Not really.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    It will be interesting when different shows start using the same character. Arrow is already using a lot of DC villains. What's going to happen when Ra's al Ghul shows up on Gotham or Deathstroke shows up on Teen Titans? It'll be pretty hard to beat Arrow's version of the Deathstroke.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    It will be interesting when different shows start using the same character. Arrow is already using a lot of DC villains. What's going to happen when Ra's al Ghul shows up on Gotham or Deathstroke shows up on Teen Titans? It'll be pretty hard to beat Arrow's version of the Deathstroke.

Yeah Manu Bennett really did it great. He always looks like he could either cry from agony or rip off your head from anger

Really great

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Aus-stroke is best stroke.

• Options

Gotham dies.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Gotham shouldn't even have Ra's.

Like.

IDK.

The Riddler? OK. The mob stuff? Sure. Penguin absolutely.

But baby catwoman and ra's and teenage joker, moping around (guaranteed to show up in season 2, calling it now).

It could be good. But idk.

I just d k.

I'd rather have Gotham be set during Batman's actual career but following Jim Gordon around.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'd rather have Gotham do that, but also do an Arrow Lian-Yu-Flashback deal, where while the majority of the show is on Gordon, you get flashes to Bruce's growing up and training, culminating in the last season where it's basically Batman: Year One.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I'd rather have Gotham do that, but also do an Arrow Lian-Yu-Flashback deal, where while the majority of the show is on Gordon, you get flashes to Bruce's growing up and training, culminating in the last season where it's basically Batman: Year One.

Yeah that'd be pretty cool.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    the mistake with Gotham was doing prequel bullshit at all

they learned fucking nothing from Smallville

i think, at some point earlier in its development, it probably started out as a Gotham Central type show, focusing on Gotham's cops instead of Batman but in a universe where Batman existed (but maybe was just starting out and was largely relegated to being some urban myth the cops didn't really believe in or something)

and it would have Gotham cops, including Gordon, dealing with dudes like Riddler and Joker and Penguin and shit

but someone along the way was like "Won't that just have audiences constantly asking where Batman is and expecting Batman to show up all the time and accuse us of cockteasing Batman?"

so instead they went with this stupid fucking idea where Bruce is fucking 14 or whatever so he can't be Batman "but one day, he will be"

and it's just gonna be Smallville garbo all the way down

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

i think, at some point earlier in its development, it probably started out as a Gotham Central type show, focusing on Gotham's cops instead of Batman but in a universe where Batman existed (but maybe was just starting out and was largely relegated to being some urban myth the cops didn't really believe in or something)

and it would have Gotham cops, including Gordon, dealing with dudes like Riddler and Joker and Penguin and shit

but someone along the way was like "Won't that just have audiences constantly asking where Batman is and expecting Batman to show up all the time and accuse us of cockteasing Batman?"

so instead they went with this stupid fucking idea where Bruce is fucking 14 or whatever so he can't be Batman "but one day, he will be"

Who knows, when they run out of good ideas maybe they'll have the balls to actually end the series or turn it into a proper Batman/Gotham Central show instead of holding on to the premise long after it makes any goddamn sense!

Yeah, that was a pretty silly hope.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    the problem with Smallville wasn't that it was a prequel, it was that they couldn't resist linking Clark's adult life with his younger, pre-Metropolis/Superman life. bringing in every major villain before he's even become a hero, introducing Lois Lane. it got trapped between wanting to be a show about Clark and wanting to be a show about Superman and ultimately failed at being either. that and trying to force the Lana Lang relationship which would inevitably be doomed and would have worked better being unrequited.

i guess Gotham is going the same way with young Bruce and young Cat-Woman(Cat-Girl? have they said what they'll call her?). the sad thing is that the people i imagine they're pandering too are the ones that would have watched it regardless.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    the problem with Smallville wasn't that it was a prequel, it was that they couldn't resist linking Clark's adult life with his younger, pre-Metropolis/Superman life. bringing in every major villain before he's even become a hero, introducing Lois Lane. it got trapped between wanting to be a show about Clark and wanting to be a show about Superman and ultimately failed at being either. that and trying to force the Lana Lang relationship which would inevitably be doomed and would have worked better being unrequited.

Clark was the most boring character on the show too.
    i guess Gotham is going the same way with young Bruce and young Cat-Woman(Cat-Girl? have they said what they'll call her?). the sad thing is that the people i imagine they're pandering too are the ones that would have watched it regardless.

I'd really like a Gotham Central or Batman show about when he started training, which was scrapped for Smallville.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    we kinda got a young Batman/Year One series with Arrow though. i know it's not really the same, but damn if it isn't close enough.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, Gotham was initially supposed to be pretty much Gotham Central Live-Action, but the people who make these sort of decisions said that having a show in Gotham without Batman is a bad idea, so now we've got Lil' Bat and the Junior Arkhamites too.
    that and trying to force the Lana Lang relationship which would inevitably be doomed and would have worked better being unrequited.
    My favorite part was when they made Lana a Kryptonite-powered superhero so that Clark had to stay away from her and get with Lois.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    we kinda got a young Batman/Year One series with Arrow though. i know it's not really the same, but damn if it isn't close enough.

In the flashbacks. The Batman show that was going to be made would show his entire training until he became Batman - sort of Batman: Smallville edition.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the flashs rogues gallery is such amazing trash

i got an erection at seeing they have already grabbed captain boomerang

soon its mirror master then theyre like wtf

THE TRICKSTER?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Um excuse me but
    GORILLA GRODD

• Options
    the flashs rogues gallery is such amazing trash

i got an erection at seeing they have already grabbed captain boomerang

soon its mirror master then theyre like wtf

THE TRICKSTER?

only if they bring back Mark Hamill! hell, they seem to be bringing back everyone else from the 90's show.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

75 cents is 75 cents. I'm supposed to throw good money away?
    Pony wrote: »

Smallville did run for 10 seasons.

Also, they're already going to have Pamela Isley so I wouldn't be surprised if Ra's al Ghul shows up, especially if they're going to have Bruce train with the Society of Assassins.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Okay, maybe I should preface this by saying that my love of Superman came from old Christopher Reeve movies and the 90's Lois and Clark show, and since then I have kind of selectively been trying to go through the best Superman trades when I have time/remember to buy them. I never watched Smallville, because by then I was an adult and still mildly bitter about them ending Lois and Clark, and both of those things made me really uninterested in what I believed I called at the time "the new emo Superman show."

That said, I don't go in for the old Superboy (when it was just Clark as a boy) and I don't like it when they try to make it so that he knew people from his adult life during childhood. I remember reading...I wish I remembered which story this was from, but there was one where Lex Luthor and Clark knew each other as children, and I just dislike that idea a lot. Lana Lang doesn't much bother me (remember, I never watched Smallville) because I don't see any problem with him having had a high school girlfriend/love interest, but she's not exactly part of his life.

So I guess that's just a lot of words to say I don't like the idea of Gotham, if what they're trying to do is make a "Batboy" story even as it is focused on Gordon. Clark Kent moved away from his hometown and the people who knew him best before he took on his superhero identity (which is why it bugs me when they act like they're just transplanting all of Smallville to Metropolis), and Ollie was a completely different, frivolous person before his time on Lian Yu. But if Bruce Wayne's parents get killed and suddenly he starts making friends with teenage Selina Kyle and scrapping with Harvey Dent in the lunchroom (actually, that's the only part of this that makes a bit of sense, because in some stories aren't they friends?) and what...I don't know, oh, here's a new student, new in Gotham, her name's Pam Isley. So if you know all of these people are and actually starting to act like Batman-ish (because audiences would say, why isn't he acting like Batman yet, why isn't he doing any crime fighting, why does he just act like a morose teenager who just goes to school and parties and doesn't do anything other than what every teenager does) then that just ups the chances of all of them putting two and two together when this masked vigilante starts beating the hell out of them.

But I guess I'll give the first episode a shot. Also, am I the only one who watched the Gotham preview and thought Gordon looked just like L.A. Confidential Russell Crowe?

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    The real problem with Smallville was that it was a male Buffy the Vampire Slayer ripoff.

You want Supes's early life? Watch the first episode of the animated series. Done.

• Options
    They should have done a series where Bruce Wayne is a crotchety old man and Batman is a legend from the 1980s.

Like Batman Begins, but no future tech and 10 years before Terry shows up.

• Options
    The real problem with Smallville was that it was a male Buffy the Vampire Slayer ripoff.

You want Supes's early life? Watch the first episode of the animated series. Done.

A bad male Buffy ripoff at that.

• Options
    They should have done a series where Bruce Wayne is a crotchety old man and Batman is a legend from the 1980s.

That would be the most depressing show ever.

• Options

That would be the most depressing show ever.

No, I'm pretty sure that Gotham is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Zmuoze65U

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I think I need you to explain this one to me...

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Monster of the Week format with high school kids.

Smartest thing about Arrow? Avoided Monster of the Week.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Monster of the Week format with high school kids.

Smartest thing about Arrow? Avoided Monster of the Week.

Arrow had those plenty of times.

• Options
    I define "monster of the week" as having actual super powers or special abilities. Which usually suck when you're working on a TV budget.

Otherwise, it's just "criminal of the week." Which is not the same thing.

This discussion has been closed.