As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We Liked [Indie Games] Before They Were Cool, Man

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Wasn't her previous "controversy" admitting to not being a gamer

I didn't know a community manager needed to be one to moderate a forum

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Wasn't her previous "controversy" admitting to not being a gamer

I didn't know a community manager needed to be one to moderate a forum

It's even less than that. She plays the hell out of games, just didn't play the Megaman series that much. Also her boyfriend was already on the team or something, so she was the target of a misogynistic campaign accusing her of getting hired via nepotism/sex for job well before gamergate started. They were also confused by her fan art of no 9 as a woman, and thought it was "concept art" that would actually be going in the game. Now they just realized she supported Zoe and welp.

rhylith on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Ugh

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    can someone gif WaM's little "it's just fucking video games" thing from her latest video and post it eeeevvvveerrrryyywheerrrrreee

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Destiny has murdered my ability play anything else, it has consumed me like a dark abyss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Are there any decent co-op indie games that've come out recently? I really dig stuff like Monaco, Starbound and Risk of Rain that I can play with friends online who don't have particularly good internet. I don't follow indie games close enough to know if any great ones have come out in the last several months, though.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Do you have hammerwatch?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I haven't played anything other than Destiny since Destiny came out

Every time I start my PS4 I see Velocity 2X half-finished and go "oh I should play that" and then launch Destiny anyway

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying Battlefield in between bouts of Destiny, you get into very cathartic large scale shenanigans in that game

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Do you have hammerwatch?

I do not have Hammerwatch! Should I have Hammerwatch?

Steam
  • Options
    Oh wait, apparently I got gifted Hammerwatch at one point. Hm!

Steam
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    Oh wait, apparently I got gifted Hammerwatch at one point. Hm!

Good! It's a lot of fun, especially co-op.

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    has anyone read this? I'd be interested in thoughts

The Cargo Cult of Game Mechanics

also, I recommend scrolling up from where the link loads the page and then hitting the play button

trippy as fuck

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    @cello apparently they just did a free content update too that added another campaign, so there's even more game there to enjoy now.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    @cello apparently they just did a free content update too that added another campaign, so there's even more game there to enjoy now.

Awesome news! I'm gonna give it a shot tonight. I'll let you know what I think!

Steam
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Lockout wrote: »

also, I recommend scrolling up from where the link loads the page and then hitting the play button

trippy as fuck

This starts out interesting but then gets lost in the weeds of a nostalgia it claims to rail against.

Comparing System Shock 2 and Mass Effect 3 and saying the first is richer mechanically is kind of a crazy statement. And using Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery as an example of pandering to nostalgia when it has some of the best IOS designed puzzles on the market is missing the point by a long mark.

He tries to cut off the idea that he's got Rose Tinted glasses but i think all he does is prove that's exactly what he has.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I like Mass Effect 3 but it's not great at level design, its mechanics shine in combat arenas

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Sure, but saying System Shock 2 had no problems with having to cut you off to prevent you getting lost is missing the fact that games do not need you to get lost to be good.

Open ended Game Design revolving around "choices" does not have to be the pursuit and that's the premise the article is starting from, and i don't really agree at all.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There certainly is a tendency in modern games to make smaller levels. But I'm not convinced that it is due to handholding.
    Art assets have quickly evolved to be one of the most expensive parts of videogames, and people are way less tolerant of repeats. The demand for really high quality graphics also has made closed spaces way more attractive. And then if tests show that very few people actually use a huge space if given to them, it's not strange that those huge areas disappeared quite quickly.

Would it be nice if some games deviated from this? Yes, but don't expect it to be the AAA titles, they can't afford to take the cost, they can't afford the risk of changing too much. Fortunately AAA titles make up a tiny, tiny percentage of actual games released and just below that there is a ton of variety.

It should be noted that lastgens favorite engine, UE3, scaled real badly with large open areas too. That's why you see tons of line of sight breaking corridors, to prevent popin problems. Let alone all the autoclosing doors/loading zones.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Lockout wrote: »

Author desperately wants there to be something in common between a disparate list of games that they like, as well as this same thing being absent from games they don't like; fails to articulate what this is.

None the less, an interesting read, but I think there is a lot more thinking to be done about exactly what we mean by "choice" in games.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    It would be nice if more modern games integrated their environments with the mechanics instead of guiding you through a theme park

You don't need to get lost but there are smoother ways to facilitate that than locking the doors behind you, gone home was really good at subtly leading you through a path in a big exploration zone

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    It would be nice if more modern games integrated their environments with the mechanics instead of guiding you through a theme park

You don't need to get lost but there are smoother ways to facilitate that than locking the doors behind you, gone home was really good at subtly leading you through a path in a big exploration zone

While I agree, that article is pretty clearly taking the stance that the ability to go anywhere at your whim is the goal of open game design, and there are other ways to get there

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    the isometric or top-down perspectives of older games certainly helped since you can see the whole of the environment at once

modern games are usually either first person, behind the shoulder third person, or 2d sidescrollers and these always limit the view you have

top-down games like a link between worlds are commended for their environmental interaction

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    SEXISM!?!?! IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES!?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    rolo do you have an estimate as to when revered political commentator daybyday comics will weigh in #gamergate

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    My jaw has been on the floor since I read that, I think my brain has broken.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    G-ghosted... :'(

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    Oh I forgot to tell you dudes

My reverend totally talked about gamergate this week

That was fun

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure how Wikipedia crediting works but it seems like this contributor also added a 'Personal Life - Otherkin' section to Mitch McConnel's page.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    can someone just drive by the capitol building and use their wifi

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    can someone just drive by the capitol building and use their wifi

I doubt this very seriously

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    rolo do you have an estimate as to when revered political commentator daybyday comics will weigh in #gamergate

we're tracing topless women to include in our press statement right now

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    There are a lot of bored interns in the Capitol on any given day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    There are a lot of bored interns in the Capitol on any given day.
    Yeah, the Capitol gets IP banned from editing Wikipedia on a fairly regular basis due to (usually right wing) vandalism (which is usually blamed on bored interns, or bored interns from the other side conducting a FALSE FLAG).

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Hey uh

Have we talked about the fact that some polish developer I've never heard of is making a straight dark souls clone

And its out in a month

And it looks pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KstwVZxykGs

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think I still have a Hammerwatch key from the humble bundle:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UkqSBZdFDY4EhHZc

If that works

Steamworld Dig too:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=pwsdqW5ccdYYFa3A

• Options
    Captaink thanks again for the gunpoint code that games awesome

This discussion has been closed.