As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Thanks, Shorten.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

Seriously.

Like. I've never before gotten this whole "disinformation campaign" sense from the government. But absolutely everything about the terror legislation has stunk to high heaven.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So glad I voted Scott Ludlam #1.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    So, the Cambodia Refugee strategy is looking increasingly insane. They only want to take 5 to start with, and there are mass protests in Cambodia about the idea, it will also cost 40 million dollars at that.

On top of that Nauru is bankrupt.

I don't even.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    The Pacific Plan 3: Cambodian Hilton?

Does seem more wrong than usual to send refugees for processing in Cambodia. I have good friends who are the children of Refugees from there,!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Seriously.

Like. I've never before gotten this whole "disinformation campaign" sense from the government. But absolutely everything about the terror legislation has stunk to high heaven.

It's been like this since Kevin '07. Almost every word that has come out of a Liberal Party member's mouth has been complete horseshit. Now, I'm not trying to suggest that Labour pollies are bastions of truth and honesty, because they're all drowning on their own mouth-poo much the same. But there's mealy-mouthed politicians, and then there's actively stirring up racial hatred.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    By the way, that guy who walked into an Islamic school and waved around a knife while threatening them?

It was a machete.

Now imagine the media reaction to a muslim walking into a Catholic school and waving one around while threatening them.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

This is right near me and I'm not surprised at all. The whole area and nearby Camden are the biggest pack of bogan, racist fucks I've ever lived amongst. Like, I was at a Bunnings indulging in the sausage sizzle out front and the guy cooking it went into racist mode and told some anti-Jewish joke and the whole crowd and the cooks family started roaring with laughter, right down to the young teenager cutting up the buns. I was just sick to my core watching it.

I really wish I didn't buy a house here.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I hate situations where YOU are the odd one out and made to feel uncomfortable because of how acceptable casual racism is.
    I always just kind of stand there awkwardly when people racist at me and then they look at me like -I- am unclean.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that's one of my worries for when we get our house. I'm wanting to put up a mezuzah on our front door and have a menorah int he window over the holidays. I haven't been the target of any racism down here, but I'm still a bit hesitant of being uncertain of my surroundings/neighbors/etc.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It's not acceptable around me. I get downright grumpy.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    that's one of my worries for when we get our house. I'm wanting to put up a mezuzah on our front door and have a menorah int he window over the holidays. I haven't been the target of any racism down here, but I'm still a bit hesitant of being uncertain of my surroundings/neighbors/etc.

Is there much anti-Semitism in New Zealand?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Is there much anti-Semitism in New Zealand?

not that i've experienced. But I mostly only deal with my coworkers. And if any of them made mention or made noises, I'd get to hit them with things.

• Options
    NZ has a very small and integrated Jewish community so I'd imagine that their low profile protects them from most issues. That being said anti Semitic vandalism does occurs when Israel does something controversial.

I get the feeling any really strongly Jewish people, or those that value Israel end up moving there.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Making the problem worse, in the end.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Maybe. NZ is pretty Jewish friendly though. Whilst we certainly had the usual anti Semitic nonsense many white Christian countries had I don't think it was super pronounced. Iirc we've have 3 Jewish PMs including the incumbent.

Israel doesn't help either. They keep doing silly things that serve to alienate us, trying to steal NZ passports, protesting about our ambassador some weeks ago.

They don't do themselves any favours in what is a friendly country to Israel. None of that is the fault of the NZ Jewish population but it just means that the litany of anti Israel stories is bolstered with a local angle, which aggravates the local nuts.

I don't think John Key could actively support Israel even if he wanted to at this point given Israel's actions.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man, you've had a non-Christian PM? And your current PM considers himself an Agnostic? The people here in the USA flip out over electing a Catholic, much less an actual non-Christian.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Its hard to know why things turned out that way in NZ. Whilst I grew up Catholic, with an Anglican father and Presbyterian grandparents it was always very easy not to be religious, or talk about it. It almost seemed like it was better not to talk about this kind of thing. People who were passionately religious almost were figures of contempt. Certainly at school anyway.

Which sort of is helpful to those who are moderate or members of minority beliefs about their beliefs.

It isn't that leaders or politicians cannot be religious, they just don't talk about it to the wider public. The deputy PM is very Catholic and not particularly liberal about that. The leader of the opposition is the son of a Presbyterian preacher. The opposition Labour party has strong Pacific Islander and Maori wings that often are quite religious. So I'd imagine MPs belonging to those sub groups have to spend a bit of time in churches or meeting church groups.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Man, you've had a non-Christian PM? And your current PM considers himself an Agnostic? The people here in the USA flip out over electing a Catholic, much less an actual non-Christian.

Our second last PM was completely non-religious as well.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    The Maori party candidate for te tai tokerau had something along the lines of a vote for the faith on their billboards

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The only real religious stuff in politics is Labour courting Ratana.

Anyway, in the Labour tussle for leadership David Cunliffe is resigning after saying he wouldn't and Grant Robertson is running for leadership again after saying he wouldn't after his last attempt at leadership. It's a bit of a mess.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Who predicted that more Muslims would be killed by Australians domestically, then Australians killed my Muslim terrorists?

Because that seems to be coming true.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Any deaths that are caused by the liberals fearmongering, I hold them accountable and complicit in them.
    I used to believe that this country needed to swing readily from one state to another, from spending to making money.
    These scumbags have ensured they will never get my vote again.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Who predicted that more Muslims would be killed by Australians domestically, then Australians killed my Muslim terrorists?

Because that seems to be coming true.

It was me and I do not enjoy being right.

Also, Cambodia? CAMBODIA?!?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Has there been any updates on the Brisbane attack? Because the (potential) victims think it was related to their speaking out against (their fellow muslim) extremists.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Not yet. This article goes all over the place with it.
    A source close to the investigation said it could still “take a twist”, meaning police had not ruled out the work of the radicalised fringe targeting Muslims opposed to ISIS.

But an Islamic community leader said it was unlikely the families were targeted for speaking out against ISIS when many more prominent Muslims had done so publicly.

The shootings closely follow vandalism of mosques and an Islamic school at Algester in the wake of highly publicised raids and arrests by counter-terrorism police in Brisbane’s south.

A source close to the probe – which has involved Australian Federal Police – said it was apparent the shootings were not a hate crime perpetrated by bigots targeting Muslims.

“It’s certainly not redneck versus Muslim. It’s certainly not a hate crime,” the source said.

The source confirmed police were investigating whether it was an alarming escalation of a dispute in which the ex-general and another man had previously been embroiled in a scuffle at the Holland Park mosque.

One community member said the dispute was unrelated to religious matters.

Police have left open a slimmer possibility that involves community members who had been radicalised trying to intimidate ISIS critics.

owever, mosque spokesman Ali Kadri said it was not possible the families had been targeted by extremists because they were “quite non-political”.

The local Imam, who had roundly condemned ISIS in numerous sermons, was a more logical target, he said.

“The assumption that (local Muslims) don’t speak freely (in criticising ISIS) is wrong – we all do,” he said.

So really it seems be a big, 'who knows?' at the moment.

• Options
    By the way, that guy who walked into an Islamic school and waved around a knife while threatening them?

It was a machete.

Now imagine the media reaction to a muslim walking into a Catholic school and waving one around while threatening them.

I don't disagree that the media coverage would be different, or that there isn't racism endemic to Australia against Muslims, buuuuut:

Wouldn't we expect a distinction in the reaction (more or less identical to the ones we are currently seeing) based on the fact that Islamists are a real and entirely non-Enlightened religio-political movement.

On the other hand, the non-Muslim attacker of Muslims is almost certainly a whacko.

• Options
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-29/robbery-and-assault-believed-to-be-racially-motivated/5777544

3 men POSED AS AFP OFFICERS and pulled over someone, abusing them for their ethnicity and religion. Then they stole their phone and laptop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    That is appalling.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That kind of racial abuse and vilification happens so often on the Sydney Western train line. Thankfully I have rarely seen it go that far, but there has been a noticeable increase in tension in the past few weeks.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-30/live3a-counter-terrorism-raids-in-melbourne/5778208

More terror raids last night. Link will update over the day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    How has Australia gone from a seemingly amiable, laid back liberal nation to this? Seriously, it always seemed to be one of the more sane countries out there. Or was that just wishful thinking and a friendly beach-bum vibe?

• Options
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    How has Australia gone from a seemingly amiable, laid back liberal nation to this? Seriously, it always seemed to be one of the more sane countries out there. Or was that just wishful thinking and a friendly beach-bum vibe?

That's not wrong, but there's always been an unpleasant xenophobic and fearful streak bubbling in the background. A Fortress Australia mentality. The Cronulla Riots were an example of it, as is the "Fuck Off, We're Full" slogan, and the current government's managing to exploit that trait for all its worth.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    It's been an undirected, unconscious undercurrent of ignorant racism that has been building for a while.
    And abused by assholes in power for their own gain.
    God forbid they, you know, try to fix societies problems.

No let's make it worse to win the next election.

Democracy!

People in australia only seem laid back because most of them don't give a rats arse about anything but their own little world. It isn't that they know about these things and are sanguine about it. They don't know. When they do know, when it becomes big enough that they have to know, they react pretty terribly, same as any other white majority country.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    It's been an undirected, unconscious undercurrent of ignorant racism that has been building for a while.
    And abused by assholes in power for their own gain.
    God forbid they, you know, try to fix societies problems.

No let's make it worse to win the next election.

Democracy!

People in australia only seem laid back because most of them don't give a rats arse about anything but their own little world. It isn't that they know about these things and are sanguine about it. They don't know. When they do know, when it becomes big enough that they have to know, they react pretty terribly, same as any other white majority country.

Racism has bubbled to the surface in elections in the past. Pauline Hanson was the poster girl for this.

hanson_narrowweb__300x478,0.jpg

• Options
    As long as it is never openly addressed it'll never go away. This stuff doesn't just fade away if you ignore it.

• Options
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-30/dole-wait-will-breach-human-rights-bipartisan-report-finds/5779810
    The Government wants to bring in a six-month waiting period during which time young people without a job would not be able to claim unemployment benefits. The measure is due to be debated in Parliament this week and the Government is negotiating with crossbench senators to get the bill passed.A Government-dominated committee has backed the proposed welfare changes, despite finding they would breach Australia's human rights obligations.

LNP backbencher Ewen Jones, who represents the seat of Herbert in north Queensland, said the tough stance on the dole would help young unemployed people get jobs.

"There are no free lunches, that's what we must be saying to people in this space," Mr Jones said. "Are we better to say to them, 'look there's your dole, go home, eat Cheezels, get on the Xbox, kiss you goodbye and we will never see you again'?".

A bipartisan parliamentary report into the proposal found the Federal Government would breach its international obligations if it went ahead with the proposal. The report from the Joint Committee on Human Rights said "the committee considers that the measure is incompatible with the right to social security and the right to an adequate standard of living".

But the head of the committee, Western Australia Liberal senator Dean Smith, said he still supported the proposed laws. Senator Smith said overall, the committee concluded that the Government's broad social security policy was proportional in pursuit of a legitimate objective.

Incoherent rage. Just... fucking hell.

• Options
    The phrasing of "helping them to get a job" is the most frustrating to me. It's not like "We want to stop dole bludgers from abusing the system and provide further pressure and incentive to get a job" wouldn't play well with anyone who actually supports this.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    There's also the fact that they truly do not give one fuck about actually helping, and those receiving welfare already have to search for jobs. Everything they say implies that the latter isn't true, as if the government is just throwing money at the dirty poors. Taking benefits away does fucking nothing but punish for no reason.

And that fucking committee. "So we found that it breaches human rights... but hey, fuck that, we have to screw the youth anyway". It's so fucking unashamed.

Suriko on