Options

[Arrow] The best Batman show without Batman.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm also at a loss as to what either Queen did this episode that was stupid. Thea was in it extremely briefly and Oliver was dealing with his grief over losing his lover and yet having to be strong for his team.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm also at a loss as to what either Queen did this episode that was stupid. Thea was in it extremely briefly and Oliver was dealing with his grief over losing his lover and yet having to be strong for his team.

He's too focused on his mission, having not learnt what Felicity wants from him.
    Now Ray Palmer's about to get some Felicity-sama. That lucky bastard.

• Options
    I'm actually frustrated with Felicity on that front. She's being completely unreasonable knowing what Oliver does and what it costs from him. She knows what the city is like without Oliver, and she knows that Oliver has lost so much in being the Arrow, and yet she still pretends like "Well if you just ignore all these bad things that happened, we can still work." And its just really selfish on her part, extremely so knowing what a cost it is to Oliver when he loses someone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    I'm actually frustrated with Felicity on that front. She's being completely unreasonable knowing what Oliver does and what it costs from him. She knows what the city is like without Oliver, and she knows that Oliver has lost so much in being the Arrow, and yet she still pretends like "Well if you just ignore all these bad things that happened, we can still work." And its just really selfish on her part, extremely so knowing what a cost it is to Oliver when he loses someone.

I don't see it like that. From my perspective she wants him to be a hero, just not swallowed up by it whole because that's not healthy for him. He needs to let his guard down some time to be human, he's improved from season 1 where he went full on Punisher, now he's in Batman mode. She's not wanting to ignore what's happened, she needs him to open up about it. Wanting him to eventually retire in peace isn't a bad goal for a vigilante to have.

• Options
    The issue is that Felicity to me seems completely oblivious to what the rocket attack meant to Oliver. He let down his guard, wanted to be something more than the arrow, and immediately almost lost her and himself because he wasn't performing at his best.

If anything she responded to his honesty about him probably going to die down in his little cave with her own selfishness "I don't want to!" Lady he was letting you see behind the curtain of his fears and you just told him "well fuck you then."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I think her point was that she feels like she deserves more than that. Ollie was born on Shan Yu, Felicity just visited it.

• Options
    The issue is that Felicity to me seems completely oblivious to what the rocket attack meant to Oliver. He let down his guard, wanted to be something more than the arrow, and immediately almost lost her and himself because he wasn't performing at his best.

If anything she responded to his honesty about him probably going to die down in his little cave with her own selfishness "I don't want to!" Lady he was letting you see behind the curtain of his fears and you just told him "well fuck you then."

True.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I think her point was that she feels like she deserves more than that. Ollie was born on Shan Yu, Felicity just visited it.

She's not wrong she does deserve more than that, but she can't be hanging with Oliver and expect to live a normal life, and not with Oliver.

It's like she sees the exciting parts of being a hero, and forgets the bad parts/doesn't notice them. She just sees Oliver get bounced off his motorcycle or stabbed, or shot. He has to deal with the scars. In a way Felicity has been so detached from the pain part of the hero business I don't think she notices its there everyday for Oliver and now Roy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Does Cw's player really suck? My connection "should" be really good and has no problem with netflix. I've had to reload this episode of arrow once and currently have it paused because the video was breaking up and freezing while the audio kept going.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Does Cw's player really suck? My connection "should" be really good and has no problem with netflix. I've had to reload this episode of arrow once and currently have it paused because the video was breaking up and freezing while the audio kept going.

I've never had any problems with it, though I don't think I've used it for almost a year, so maybe it's changed.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

On the other hand that was always a thing anyway. I think Felicity is frustrated with Olly backing out when he should have known full well what could happen. I think she is aware of the danger and willing to accept it but Oliver isn't. That is: Felicity doesn't want a normal life or doesn't understand the pains and worries of the life, she just thinks it doesn't matter.

Look this is totally about commitment issues. Oliver is afraid of commitment (because he will likely die in this shit) and Felicity is frustrated because she doesn't consider it a reason not to try. You commit despite what might happen since you don't know the future anyway. Had this been a non-superhero show Oli would've spent some time worrying about them breaking up or dying in a car crash or something.

Of course he is absolutely right. Considering what has happened to him getting with Felicity is a guaranteed way to get her killed or made into an assassin. At this point he would be crazy to get it on with a female unless he actually wants her to die or go to jail. But the characters themselves don't actually know this.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Last episode was pretty interesting although it dialled the soap up to 11 which I guess is expected considering what it was about. I thought it was interesting that Ollie
    admitted to being afraid of dying, it's a pretty big change from his usual excuse of being worried about other people getting hurt.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Laurel's
    You took the bullets out of the gun?!

Just about summarizes her character.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yes, that was really stupid and they could have gone with the slightly harder to justify
    removed firing pin. But if taking the bullets out was OKed so would that be, he had no time for either, but at least she wouldn't notice the firing pin. She just planned on shooting a guy without checking the gun was loaded, though, it seems! She was doing so well, too.

I can't quite buy Laurel as a threat at the moment, but I never really honestly believed Sara was either even though she pulled the attitude off so my suspension of disbelief kicked in. Laurel can get to that probably, on the way with pulling the trigger.

But no way in hell will Thea ever be a threat to anyone but small babies. Never happen, just no. The cut from Speedy's stunt double to her was blindingly obvious, it will always be so, even if it's really her the entire time. Entire plot is ugh. When Oliver fights her and refuses to fight back I still won't buy her winning. Just what are they thinking...

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yes, that was really stupid and they could have gone with the slightly harder to justify
    removed firing pin. But if taking the bullets out was OKed so would that be, he had no time for either, but at least she wouldn't notice the firing pin. She just planned on shooting a guy without checking the gun was loaded, though, it seems! She was doing so well, too.

I can't quite buy Laurel as a threat at the moment, but I never really honestly believed Sara was either even though she pulled the attitude off so my suspension of disbelief kicked in. Laurel can get to that probably, on the way with pulling the trigger.

But no way in hell will Thea ever be a threat to anyone but small babies. Never happen, just no. The cut from Speedy's stunt double to her was blindingly obvious, it will always be so, even if it's really her the entire time. Entire plot is ugh. When Oliver fights her and refuses to fight back I still won't buy her winning. Just what are they thinking...

I'm waiting for her Thea-instincts to kick in, and throw herself off a roof.
    Her MO in the past has been to want to hurt people who care about her by hurting herself, in the hope they get caught in the crossfire. Hopefully she'll take it more literally soon.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So I just binge-watched Arrow and am all caught up. I haven't done any internet searching on this so far, but I'm going to assume I'm not alone in assuming that Laurel Lance is just a terrible character? I think it's a combination of the actress and the writing, but in all honesty I feel like the show would be better if she were just written off. They bungled her terribly in the first season and have continued to bungle her since then... I'm guessing her whole addiction storyline last season was an attempt to fix her, and it missed the mark completely. I feel like keeping her on the show is a lost cause, especially when we have great characters like Diggle and Felicity who could use more screen time.

I mean, I'm going to be honest and say that Stephen Amell struck me as a terrible actor in the first season, but I was able to put it aside and he's sort of grown on me since then. Katie Cassidy is a better actor but she is a bad fit for the (terrible) role.

Anyway, just venting because I assume that the past 50 pages of this thread have had the same argument and I haven't had the chance to go through it yet.

Also, this is probably the first show where I've totally been like, yo, these two characters need to get together (talking about Oliver & Felicity, obvs). Does this make me a shipper? Or do I have to go out of my way to write fanfiction to become a shipper? I've never been a shipper before...

• Options
    Oliver needs to stay the hell away from Felicity because look what happened. That was always going to and will always happen. Felicity should have jumped ship to Flash and changed her name to Iris...

Laurel suffered from mostly bad writing, you are not alone in hating her. But this season she's been fine, hopefully it's the dawn of a new Laurel. As for Amell, I think you're alone in resisting the power of his abs.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Amell was clearly casted entirely physically, and has grown into a capable actor through the challenges of the role. Reminds me of David Boreanaz.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Oliver needs to stay the hell away from Felicity because look what happened. That was always going to and will always happen. Felicity should have jumped ship to Flash and changed her name to Iris...

That's the breaks for dating a super-hero. Same thing would happen if she dates Barry or
    Ray Palmer, once he gets super-powers.
    Not to mention being a vigilante her life has been in danger before, that's not a job you take expecting it to completely safe. When she joined the Arrow she's gotten a target on her back.
    Laurel suffered from mostly bad writing, you are not alone in hating her. But this season she's been fine, hopefully it's the dawn of a new Laurel. As for Amell, I think you're alone in resisting the power of his abs.

Agreed.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    So I just binge-watched Arrow and am all caught up. I haven't done any internet searching on this so far, but I'm going to assume I'm not alone in assuming that Laurel Lance is just a terrible character? I think it's a combination of the actress and the writing, but in all honesty I feel like the show would be better if she were just written off. They bungled her terribly in the first season and have continued to bungle her since then... I'm guessing her whole addiction storyline last season was an attempt to fix her, and it missed the mark completely. I feel like keeping her on the show is a lost cause, especially when we have great characters like Diggle and Felicity who could use more screen time.

I mean, I'm going to be honest and say that Stephen Amell struck me as a terrible actor in the first season, but I was able to put it aside and he's sort of grown on me since then. Katie Cassidy is a better actor but she is a bad fit for the (terrible) role.

Anyway, just venting because I assume that the past 50 pages of this thread have had the same argument and I haven't had the chance to go through it yet.

Also, this is probably the first show where I've totally been like, yo, these two characters need to get together (talking about Oliver & Felicity, obvs). Does this make me a shipper? Or do I have to go out of my way to write fanfiction to become a shipper? I've never been a shipper before...

Well yeah you've pretty much summed up everything this thread is about. Only thing missing is a comment about the salmon ladder.

And I'm afraid you're a shipper. It's pretty hard to not ship Feliciver though.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    from denver comic con I know that Amell also does great panels.

He seems to have a funny story for every occasion.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And now I'm reminded (and therefore reposting) this:

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

Well yeah you've pretty much summed up everything this thread is about. Only thing missing is a comment about the salmon ladder.

Its not Feliciver, but the good ship Olicity.

Heathen

And this thread needs to be the Arrow thread again. Its the only show we talk about now that the others have got their own threads.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Screw you, I want to talk about how dreamy Grant Gustin is and you can't stop me. :p

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »

Its not Feliciver, but the good ship Olicity.

Heathen

And this thread needs to be the Arrow thread again. Its the only show we talk about now that the others have got their own threads.

For the record I am agreeing with the thread title comment, not the shipping one. The Oliver/Felicity thing makes me cringe every time it's brought up in the the show and it needs to die a quick death. He needs to continue banging everything that moves, and she needs to be with someone else, literally anyone else. I love the character, though not as much as the rest of this thread does, but the her/Oliver melodrama is terrible and needs to stop.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    He should be bangin' Sarah who is the true Dinah Lance "Black Canary" of this universe like in the comics.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't look to be happening for a while
    ...unless the Lazarus Pit has anything to say about it

Kadoken on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Nested spoilers don't work anymore.

That said, I agree.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Oliver banging everything that moves would make more sense if he didn't tell half of them his secret. Otherwise, I'd rather he just stick to the only girl who has clearly been good for him and hasn't been a soap opera teen-angst caricature (*glares at Laurel*).

• Options
    The new improved Laurel is going to get the last laugh on all of you guys. As it was destined from the best season, 1.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    The new improved Laurel is going to get the last laugh on all of you guys. As it was destined from the best season, 1.

bonus points if she renames herself to Serinus.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options

Season 1 didn't have Slade

0.jpg

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Was down and out because of an injury over the weekend, and ended up marathoning the rest of season 2.

God it was fantastic. That finale was much better than season 1. Now to finally start with season 3. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm a huge fan of the fact that Ollie apparently tapped some contacts for his family.
    Stephen Amell's cousin was just on Arrow as an (I'm assuming?) bit role.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Delmain wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the fact that Ollie apparently tapped some contacts for his family.

I'm pretty sure Robbie Amell already had the CW contacts having starred on one of their shows last year (The Tomorrow People). I'm think he was even the "special guest" on an episode of Whose Line last summer.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    All caught up now so I can start posting in here.

I love Slade Wilson.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Robbie Amell already had the CW contacts having starred on one of their shows last year (The Tomorrow People). I'm think he was even the "special guest" on an episode of Whose Line last summer.

Yeah, but the Tomorrow People got cancelled after a season, so I don't know if many people involved with it would have a ton of good will

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Yeah, but the Tomorrow People got cancelled after a season, so I don't know if many people involved with it would have a ton of good will

Being Green Arrow's cousin has its perks.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Come on, CW doesn't care if a show gets canned. They put Brit Robertson on like 75 different shows, right?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Static Shock is going to be a live action digital series.

Now, I love me some Static Shock, but this bit has me worried:
    The new version will be overseen by Reginald Hudlin and Milestone/original-series veteran Denys Cowan. No release date or timetable has yet been set.

After watching The Boondocks, I am... apprehensive... about Hudlin's involvement. Also, are they going to treat it like a "minority" property? Don't want: shameless pandering. Do want: a real crack at a serious minority super hero set in a disadvantaged area.

This discussion has been closed.