Options

[Post-Soviet States]: Frozen Conflicts are Forever

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    One of Chechnya's few human rights organization had thier office burnt down after they criticized the president of Russia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30470085
    Loved the official politburo-speak regarding the whole thing:
    "This organization are criminal henchmen! Luckily, fire accident torched their whole dirty den! :3"

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    How did Scandinavian airspace get dealt with during the Cold War? Seems like they should bring that system back.

Also some of these "near misses" are dozens and hundreds of miles so it's not like they're flying into each other.

Still dangerous and people could get hurt if any of these pilots aren't paying attention.

Rather want the chance to be 0 than 0.01%

Yogo on
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    seems like Putins falling back on the old way of doing business.

A lie if told long enough and loud enough eventually becomes truth.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    seems like Putins falling back on the old way of doing business.

A lie if told long enough and loud enough eventually becomes truth.

The man is definitely a traditionalist when it comes to consolidating power and stoking nationalism.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Interesting article from the BBC. Apperently many Russians do not view their nations current actions in Ukraine as the cause for the sanctions but rather that the West wants to punish Russia for being strong. Many don't blame Putin for the economic downturn, but rather local officials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30436200

• Options
    understandable when your government spends billions of dollars on state runs news organizations that spew nothing but propaganda while simultaneously shutting down outside news sources.

propaganda can only carry so far when they've hit a massive recession with no end in sight there going to need someone more tangible to blame than the boogeyman that is the western democracies.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Yup, propaganda often does work. What interests me more though is that apparently most of the media consumed by near abroad Russian minorities, for obvious reasons, is made in Russia. I wonder what these people think is happening, given they can likely still easily consume other local news.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »
    How did Scandinavian airspace get dealt with during the Cold War? Seems like they should bring that system back.

Also some of these "near misses" are dozens and hundreds of miles so it's not like they're flying into each other.

Still dangerous and people could get hurt if any of these pilots aren't paying attention.

Rather want the chance to be 0 than 0.01%

I thought another thing is that these jets move very quickly so even what seems to be a large distance is relatively super close

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Russia's central bank raised interest rates from 10.5 to 17 percent at an emergency 1 a.m. meeting in an attempt to stop the ruble, which is down 50 percent on the year against the dollar, from falling any further.
    That is seriously dire. As in Bitcoin dire.

And this is only going to get worse. Russia, you see, is stuck in an economic catch-22. Its economy needs lower interest rates to push up growth, but its companies need higher interest rates to push up the ruble and make all the dollars they borrowed not worth so much ... If they had kept interest rates low, then the ruble would have continued to disintegrate, inflation would have spiked, and big corporations would have defaulted—but at least growth wouldn't have fallen quite so much.

Instead, Russia has opted for the financial shock-and-awe of raising rates from 10.5 to 17 percent in one fell swoop. Rates that high will send Russia's moribund economy into a deep recession—its central banks already estimates its economy will contract 4.5 to 4.7 percent if oil stays at $60-a-barrel—but they might, just might, be enough to stop the ruble's free fall. We'll see. If they're not, Russia will have to resort to capital controls to prop up the value of the ruble, and might even have to ask the IMF for a bailout.
    Yeah, that sort of thing would not come without conditions.

Absalon on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    There is a word for this. Schadenfreude.

Now I feel bad, because millions of innocent people are going to suffer because their leader is terrible in most respects.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I really wonder if Putin's popularity is manufactured surely some of it is. I mean during the cold war it looked like most of eastern europe was lock step with the USSR only to find out most of the populace had misgiving towards their supposed workers paradise.

it sucks that russia has to go through this but endemic corruption and populist dictators like Putin can only be solved by the russian people.

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    There is a word for this. Schadenfreude.

Now I feel bad, because millions of innocent people are going to suffer because their leader is terrible in most respects.

Gotta treat them like adults. Sure, the elections were BS and the media is in Putin's pocket since long times, but the same things we know and read are available to most adult Russians. For now. They were all crowing when Crimea got taken over by ethnic nationalists and their responses to Magnitsky being tortured to death were probably as sympathetic as those of rural Mississippi whites hearing about black civil rights activists getting lynched. Or they would just talk about CIA's torture or the invasion of Iraq, but not because they genuinely care about the moral high ground as much about simply drowning out all criticism of the pan-Slavic, anti-individual, illiberal expansionist agenda.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I really wonder if Putin's popularity is manufactured surely some of it is. I mean during the cold war it looked like most of eastern europe was lock step with the USSR only to find out most of the populace had misgiving towards their supposed workers paradise.

it sucks that russia has to go through this but endemic corruption and populist dictators like Putin can only be solved by the russian people.

Was it here or somewhere else that I recently read an article about Siberia agitating for more federalization?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I honestly hope it gets bad enough that people revolt in Russia.

You get a big enough revolt and wave of bodies and there's no stopping it. What may come out might very well be -worse- don't get me wrong. Revolutionaries in charge of some of the shit Russia no doubt has hidden away is not a good thing in any aspect.

But this is also not a Middle Eastern country most of the world doesn't know about. So I'd like to think the West would get involved in a very serious attempt at checking any Chinese expansion due to Russian instability as well as because an unstable Russia is not good for anyone.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Trace wrote: »

You get a big enough revolt and wave of bodies and there's no stopping it. What may come out might very well be -worse- don't get me wrong. Revolutionaries in charge of some of the shit Russia no doubt has hidden away is not a good thing in any aspect.

But this is also not a Middle Eastern country most of the world doesn't know about. So I'd like to think the West would get involved in a very serious attempt at checking any Chinese expansion due to Russian instability as well as because an unstable Russia is not good for anyone.

This is a brilliant recipie for a preemptive strike on NATO.

Did Wesley Clark plan this out?

The best outcome would be Putin getting an IMF bailout if things get bad enough in exchange for calming his tits in Ukraine and Georgia.

The world is better off with a stable Russia, with Putin getting retired to his dacha and with us all moving on with the new leadership.

You get popular revolts in Russia and NATO positioning to "pacify" the area and defending China, and Putin and his cronies will feel their paranoia is justified and they'll be pushed to make a Hail Mary, most likely one that ends in hundreds of new suns floating over the northern hemisphere.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

This is a brilliant recipie for a preemptive strike on NATO.

Did Wesley Clark plan this out?

The best outcome would be Putin getting an IMF bailout if things get bad enough in exchange for calming his tits in Ukraine and Georgia.

The world is better off with a stable Russia, with Putin getting retired to his dacha and with us all moving on with the new leadership.

You get popular revolts in Russia and NATO positioning to "pacify" the area and defending China, and Putin and his cronies will feel their paranoia is justified and they'll be pushed to make a Hail Mary, most likely one that ends in hundreds of new suns floating over the northern hemisphere.

well I mean

we'd wait until Putin was out obviously. Let the revolt happen and support the new guy as long as he promises not to be dick.

Not that -that's- ever worked out in our favor.

god dammit Russia why you so big

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm curious if we'll start seeing Putin forced to make some concessions to his opposition within Russia, if the Russian economy keeps tanking. I for one don't want a revolt because I see that being incredibly shitty and I don't think anyone has a real solution to render some idiot's use of the nuclear missiles into a non-threat.

I'm wondering if we'll see certain parts of Russia given more independence from Moscow at this point though. A shit economy is going to create social unrest and let's be honest, Russia was never really that stable with out the constant use of force in certain areas. A shit economy means less money to keep boots on the ground in places that aren't too pleased with their current relationship as part of Russia. I think it'll certainly put a damper on some of the expansionist BS; especially, since Crimea is pretty much a white elephant overall. It'll also kill some of the BS in Ukraine and Moldova, since the assholes will probably get cut off from their funding.

An IMF loan is going to come with strings attached. I just hope they are smart enough to tailor things, so that if Putin, tries to pull a fast one, his balls get crushed and thus, he'll have no interest in trying to scam the IMF. It's also possible, he'll refuse a deal and double down on his bullshit.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    You guys are almost as delusional as he is. Of course he is going to double down. This will get much worse before it gets better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    oops

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Mill wrote: »
    I'm curious if we'll start seeing Putin forced to make some concessions to his opposition within Russia, if the Russian economy keeps tanking. I for one don't want a revolt because I see that being incredibly shitty and I don't think anyone has a real solution to render some idiot's use of the nuclear missiles into a non-threat.

Send in spec ops to blow up their code computer, and hope they didn't fuck it up as royally as we did.

This would probably fail anyways, but if it worked it would disable the missiles for a day or two maybe?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    no one in their right mind would intervene if a revolution happened in Russia. we have a precedent for this with the breakup of the warsaw pact.

though we would probably funnel aid to whatever political organization seems the friendliest.

Harbringer197 on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Hmm, I seem to remember that the West intervened in a Russian Civil War once.

It went poorly then, and now they have nukes.

• Options
    I haven't had a regular Russian friend for a bit but at least until a couple of years ago, he was seen as strong even by people who'd left and did not plan to go back. Lots of contrast with what went before.

• Options
    It makes me wonder just what his endgame is now.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Well, his old endgame was to brazen it out until things went back to status quo or close to it. I don't really see the guy as someone that throws in the towel when it's not going his way, so I'm guessing keep on going. Can't question yourself, has to be other people that are wrong.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Mill wrote: »

Send in spec ops to blow up their code computer, and hope they didn't fuck it up as royally as we did.

This would probably fail anyways, but if it worked it would disable the missiles for a day or two maybe?

Aside from only being something that would work in a cheap direct-to-TV movie, any attack on Russia's nuclear capabilities would almost guarantee them using those capabilities as soon as they were able.

There's no reason to wish for a revolt when the end result could easily be worse.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Putin's end goal is pretty clear: Frozen conflict in Ukraine that keeps them from joining NATO and the EU, extend influence over Europe via gas and funneling money to far right parties, try to undermine Western hegemony by working with China to stay above water as the world moves away from his oil, stay president as long as he's popular and retire as Vlad the Greater with the love of his people (even if it is mostly manufactured), have cake, eat it too.

Everything he's done in the last decade has been toward these goals.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Endgame? Retiring? I don't think Putin has any intention of letting go of power. He'll only abdicate when the Grim Reaper takes him.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that Vlad's endgame strategy is to have a golden throne constructed so that even when he is rotting he can still command the loyalty of the imperium Russian people.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Endgame? Retiring? I don't think Putin has any intention of letting go of power. He'll only abdicate when the Grim Reaper takes him.

He said he doesn't want to be president for life. I can see him dipping out if things get bad enough and sticking Medvedev or somebody with the clean up job.

He cares about his image, and even when he's "retired" he's going to still have the power.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

Russian rouble in free-fall despite shock 17% rate rise

So that 6.5% base rate increase. Manged to push the Ruble down from 65.95 per dollar down to ~61/62 during the following day.

It since spiked to over 77, and traded in the mid-low seventies for a bit, and is now hovering around 69.

Charts:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=RUB&view=1D

Also from xe, for comparison purposes. Central Bank Rates

CENTRAL BANK RATES
    JPY 0.1%
    CHF 0%
    EUR 0.05%
    USD 0.25%
    CAD 1%
    AUD 2.5%
    NZD 3.5%
    GBP 0.5%

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Oh wow.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    ...and to think this is all because OPEC is trying to screw over North American shale production.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    ...and to think this is all because OPEC is trying to screw over North American shale production.

So is this an intended or unintended consequence?

• Options

So is this an intended or unintended consequence?

The Saudis want everyone to buy Saudi oil.

They don't like that us and the Russians produce our own.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I doubt Russia is the target of the oil price drop, but hurting a competitor is always good for business.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    I doubt Russia is the target of the oil price drop, but hurting a competitor is always good for business.

I think it could be a target too. Saudi doesn't necessarily like what Russia has been up to in Syria or with Iran. It may not also wish to encourage dissolution of international norms of state sovereignty/border integrity

• Options
    Russia and the US are absolutely the targets of the drop.

The difference is our economy isn't tacked onto the cost of oil being $100 a hour.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Also there's the fact that if gas is cheap, people won't really push for alternatives.

So it's layered, like a shitty onion

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.