As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    So, here's a new experience.

I got into board games about five years ago and over time (years) was able to get a lot of my friends into games. They went from "Agh, what board game are you going to make us play today" to "Hey! So what games did you bring!? Agricola?! Cosmic?" Something new?!". I was always the one to be in the know about games and to buy everything. They'd be curious about what I was thinking about buying or what exciting new stuff I knew about, but that was about it.

In my mind I always somewhat bemoaned the expense of all this falling exclusively upon me, but at the same time, it was my hobby and at the end of the day I enjoyed having the collection and taking pride in the ownership of it all. Also, in the grand scheme of things, board games are pretty cheap compared to nearly any other interest I could have fallen into.

Over the last couple of months, several of my friends (from separate 'groups') have begun buying games as well and I don't know how I feel about this. As nerdy as it is, I enjoy being the 'game guy'. I like selecting a half-dozen games for a game night then having the group choose between that subset. I like being the one to tell people about this game I just got got or a game that I've been fawning over on BGG that I'm excited about. Now I have all these friends buying all these games, some at my recommendation, some out of the blue, and they're not mine.

I realize this is going to read as pretty selfish and narcissistic. But, has anyone else had a similar feeling? Am I just a prick?

I can understand what you are experiencing and it's kinda like you are losing a part of your identity. If it's been that way for years, then it's understandable for you to feel a little jealous of it, but I would suggest doing your best to enjoy it. You introduced gaming to them, and it's unlikely they will forget. So now take joy in that they want to introduce you to some games, or introduce other friends to games!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    @DarkWhite, I TOTALLY know what you're talking about. For me, I've spent significant time convincing people not to get games like Life or Monopoly. I have, more or less, placed myself in the position of a board game authority. So now I have some friends/family buying decent games, but board game night is supposed to me MY thing, you know? Or someone will get a game like Thunderstone and I'll be all, "Dude, why didn't you ask me first? I know a game that's even better!"

So yeah, it's definitely a transition from being The Board Game Evangelist™ to being merely another board game player. Or simply letting other people make sub-optimal board game choices. But you've got to let those chicks out of the nest. They want to fly.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So, here's a new experience.

I got into board games about five years ago and over time (years) was able to get a lot of my friends into games. They went from "Agh, what board game are you going to make us play today" to "Hey! So what games did you bring!? Agricola?! Cosmic?" Something new?!". I was always the one to be in the know about games and to buy everything. They'd be curious about what I was thinking about buying or what exciting new stuff I knew about, but that was about it.

In my mind I always somewhat bemoaned the expense of all this falling exclusively upon me, but at the same time, it was my hobby and at the end of the day I enjoyed having the collection and taking pride in the ownership of it all. Also, in the grand scheme of things, board games are pretty cheap compared to nearly any other interest I could have fallen into.

Over the last couple of months, several of my friends (from separate 'groups') have begun buying games as well and I don't know how I feel about this. As nerdy as it is, I enjoy being the 'game guy'. I like selecting a half-dozen games for a game night then having the group choose between that subset. I like being the one to tell people about this game I just got got or a game that I've been fawning over on BGG that I'm excited about. Now I have all these friends buying all these games, some at my recommendation, some out of the blue, and they're not mine.

I realize this is going to read as pretty selfish and narcissistic. But, has anyone else had a similar feeling? Am I just a prick?

I can understand what you are experiencing and it's kinda like you are losing a part of your identity. If it's been that way for years, then it's understandable for you to feel a little jealous of it, but I would suggest doing your best to enjoy it. You introduced gaming to them, and it's unlikely they will forget. So now take joy in that they want to introduce you to some games, or introduce other friends to games!

I mean, part of me does like it. I guess it's sort of like you're happy and proud that your kids are all grown up, but you don't want them to leave.

Like I said they've been buying games for several months now, but it wasn't until a friend texted me this morning with "Hey, I just bought Suburbia, it's supposed to be pretty good right?" that I went 'Wait a minute'. I've had Suburbia on my list of games to buy for probably a year now, just waiting for it to be the price I wanted.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Enjoy the opportunity to try and play more games than you alone have money for. My gaming group (consisting of about four regulars and roughly eight to ten occasional players) has three of us who buy and bring games, and it makes our sessions much more varied than they would be if only one of us was a collector, as one of us is a fan of heavy euros, another is especially big into deduction-style games, etc.

It does mean that every gaming night we end up having to play the what-do-we-play-tonight game (when each of us brings a half-dozen games we end up with nearly 20 to choose from), but each of us gets to play games that we ourselves wouldn't have bought.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    That's a wonderful problem to have.

I wish I could get/find more people into games. Or at least put in the effort to meet up outside of lunch hours

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So, I almost escaped the FLGS without buying anything, and I was feeling a little smug about it. I walked out the door and glanced in the window as I was walking to my car. They had a copy of Tragedy Looper.

I walked right back in and bought it. I am weak.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    So, I almost escaped the FLGS without buying anything, and I was feeling a little smug about it. I walked out the door and glanced in the window as I was walking to my car. They had a copy of Tragedy Looper.

I walked right back in and bought it. I am weak.

I've got this lined up to play this week. So excited.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My friends starting to buy boardgames was one of the happiest days of my life, so many games I coukd have never played otherwise!

I hope I can get them to start buying war games soon too.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I haven't been annoyed at my friends for buying games, but I have been annoyed at them for buying the SAME games. Like, I'd bring a new game that I got, and then when I'd bring it next time they'd already bought a copy. And then this happened several times. I'm like, get a NEW game!

sig.gif
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yep, was gonna post how it really is great except when someone is just buying all the games I already have.

Expand our collective library, jerks!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah. That's just inefficiency. I understand it sometimes when people are buying games they want to play outside of their regular group, but if it's happening that quickly it sounds like they just have poor impulse control.

And us mature and collected adults would know nothing about that.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular

I mean, part of me does like it. I guess it's sort of like you're happy and proud that your kids are all grown up, but you don't want them to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KALJy9fw2Q

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Boardgames last a very long time, and people will be playing them long after your game group has gone its separate ways.

I know dozens of people who own Resistance, Love Letter, Catan, Carcassonne, LoW, and Smash Up. It's all good.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    just picked up Machi Koror , lords of water deep and Agricola. Merry board game mass to me.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    just picked up Machi Koror , lords of water deep and Agricola. Merry board game mass to me.

Machi Koro is delightful.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    admanb wrote: »
    Yeah. That's just inefficiency. I understand it sometimes when people are buying games they want to play outside of their regular group, but if it's happening that quickly it sounds like they just have poor impulse control.

And us mature and collected adults would know nothing about that.

I have no idea what you are taking about...

Looks at recent orders to see 3 board games plus Fief when it shows up... Then no game played over 10x in the past year...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Another week, another Game Haus run.

First up was Letters From Whitechapel, a fancier, more complicated entry in the "Jack the Ripper deduction" subgenre. (Why doesn't anybody try to change that theme around at all? I should make a board game about chasing the Zodiac killer around Southern California in the '70s. With codebreaking. And hookers.) Anyway, LFW can be played with 6 but seems best with two--one player taking on the role of Jack the Ripper, who must murder each night and then secretly flee back to his hideout, and the other playing all five police inspectors as they search for clues to Jack's movements and ultimately try to corner and arrest him. The game is pretty freaking hard for the cops, let me tell you, as you only get four rounds to try and narrow down Jack's absolute position AND have a cop adjacent to arrest him. The best part of the game was gradually crossing off parts of the map round by round--okay, he couldn't have made it to the far east end after I lost sight of him--okay, I know he's somewhere in the right half of the map--Jack must be within this circle of streets! It's a complex, almost clunky system but the feeling it produces, the tension and frustration and moments of insight, that's pretty great.

Next we played Fantastiqa, a very odd sort of game. It's a deckbuilder crossbred with a Euro and given a light fantasy theme. I liked it a lot. There's a very simple map that you're adventuring around (6 locations, with monster-guarded roads in between them), and on your turn you can either fight monsters using the symbols on your cards (a card might give you one Sword or one Broom or one of 6 other currencies, and a monster might need one or two of one type to be defeated) and claim them for your deck (each monster also counting as a corresponding symbol); or you can visit one of the 6 towers and use them to buy more powerful cards or exile weaker cards from your deck; or you could use stockpiled symbol cards to claim quests for victory points. I'm leaving a few things out, even; it's a fairly complex game, although it's easy to learn and simple to play. The game gives you a wide variety of options to choose from on your turn without overwhelming you. It doesn't have the depth of some other deckbuilders, I'm sure, but if you're like me and looking for something different from the genre, Fantastiqa is worth checking out.

(Worth noting--we played the first edition; apparently the second edition is significantly streamlined, so I dunno if that offers the same experience or what.)

Following that, we played a quick two-player-plus-a-dummy round of Sushi Go!, which is basically just a drafting game with cute art. It was short and decent, nothing to write home about but not offensive either.

Then we played Queen's Ransom, which was not very good at all. It's a simple deduction game, kind of like if you took the suspect mechanic from Android and made it a card game. You lay out three suspects and three locations, with each of the 6 getting two evidence cards assigned to it. Each evidence card has a value ranging from -2 to +2, and the suspect/location with the highest sum total of evidence is correct. Players take turns spending random sums of money to buy the chance to look at an evidence card and then when they're ready try to guess the correct answer.

Finally, my friends got me a Doomtown starter set as an early Christmas gift! We broke it out for a three-way shootout between the Law Dogs, the Sloane Gang, and the Morgan Cattle Corp. I liked it quite a bit--tons of player interaction and room for some roleplaying, too. Towards the end of the game, I realized I had enough control to win, provided one of my opponents got some of her influence shot off, so I rustled up a posse of Sloane Gang members and sent them to the church over on her side of town. I had planned to play an action card to give one of my bandits 3 extra bullets in his gun, but the Law Dogs announced they were gonna call us out. I argued that there was no point in having a shootout, and gave my solemn word that if she backed down, I'd keep the peace. When the Law Dogs agreed, I had an opportunity to play my action card and then declare an attack on the very next turn. My non-cheatin' 4 of a kind beat her two pair all to hell, and with that, Doomtown was mine. Any card game cool enough to create that much narrative strength as well as strategic complexity is well-designed in my book. I will definitely have fun playing this.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Final games meeting of 2014 for our group last night, half the group broke out the party games and 4 of us played Shadows of Brimstone.

I love interesting mechanics and deep strategy as much as anyone, but there's something that's just so much fun about a massive sprawling set of tiles and hundreds of cards and handfuls of tiny dice. Those rolls where you just about kill the monster before it cripples you, but then you end up walking into town with a tail or extra head because of a mutation.

The guy in our group who has it bought the mega ridiculous super tier, so will keep getting new bits and pieces over the next year or so. Just a shame Flying Frog didn't keep their usual b-movie style card art. I love the cheesy photos in Last Night on Earth and Fortune and Glory.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    When my friends started buying games on their own, without my advice but using my teachings, I shed a single tear of joy as the proud papa. A game guru who passed key lessons onto the flock.

I felt like the board game messiah at that point.

• Options
    Academy Games is hoping to receive Fief the week after Christmas at this point.

I don't know what is going on at the docks, but it needs to stop. Either fire some people and hire employees who do their jobs, or something. It's ridiculous to hold up things arbitrarily, and the dock managers should be ashamed of themselves. If I was a shipping company I would find some way to avoid that dock. If no shipments are coming in, maybe they'll reconsider being idiots about slowing things down.

I'm not trying to say that I'm against the workers, but I am saying they are hired and paid to do a job. Do the job you were paid to do. Slowing things down is just inconsiderate and makes you look like a jerk, not the company you work for.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Academy Games is hoping to receive Fief the week after Christmas at this point.

I don't know what is going on at the docks, but it needs to stop. Either fire some people and hire employees who do their jobs, or something. It's ridiculous to hold up things arbitrarily, and the dock managers should be ashamed of themselves. If I was a shipping company I would find some way to avoid that dock. If no shipments are coming in, maybe they'll reconsider being idiots about slowing things down.

I'm not trying to say that I'm against the workers, but I am saying they are hired and paid to do a job. Do the job you were paid to do. Slowing things down is just inconsiderate and makes you look like a jerk, not the company you work for.

I assume it's industrial action. Google seems to agree.

You don't agree with that sort of thing?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Yeah, personally worker's rights trumps my ability to play a boardgame a few weeks earlier.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm saying that as a human being, if you are paid to move cargo containers and have been able to move X an hour,slowing down to x/10 an hour because your union hasn't been able to agree on a new contract is being selfish. Especially when doing so is costing other workers their jobs and money. ie. Truckers, stores, small businesses like Academy who paid for express shipping and extra workers to handle the game shipments who are now out that money because you felt slighted. I can wait to play my game, it's only what brought me awareness of the situation. It's the disregard for others that's unacceptable.

I'm not sure what you mean by "industrial action" though. Could you explain? My searches turned up union issues since they lost contract in July.

edit: I know this is all off-topic, so I apologize for derailing.

fake edit2: Stuff like this is a good example of what I'm talking about. Source
    AMERICAN perishable food exporters are becoming frantic with congestion in LA and Long Beach ports and deliberate go-slows by Dockers in Seattle and Tacoma. "As it stands right now, I have potatoes I am shipping to many countries - nearly 50 containers just this week alone," said the exporter, whose statement was supplied by Peter Friedmann of the Agriculture Transportation Coalition. "So far, I have shipped about six containers and may not have any more than three to five more containers shipped this week. If this continues, my buyers would be forced to buy from another country because they would need stable supply," he said. Meanwhile, down south two bulk carriers joined the queue of ships waiting to berth in Los Angeles or Long Beach as congestion mounted, reports Lloyd's List. A total of 14 ships were at anchor outside the harbor on afternoon after the number grew by two during the day. Seventy ships are within the precincts of the San Pedro Bay ports, but only 49 are at berth and another 21 anchored.Talks between the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) and the employers bargaining unit, the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA), appear deadlocked over waterfront automation. Tacoma port reported terminal operators sending Dockers home halfway through shifts because their work was too slow, reports American Shipper.

The window for effective strike action is closing fast because the peak season ends in a few weeks. When it does, a strike will have much less impact. Another potato farmer said: "This is turning into a disaster. We have recently secured new export business in the millions of pounds in Australia and Korea. Additional business gains in Philippines and China are all now at risk. "Shipping in excess of 17,000 FCLs off the west coast annually," the farmer continued, "we are not only risking trade with our foreign partners, but forcing the shutdown of production facilities in the PNW [Pacific North West] as we have nowhere to go with our finished goods." Said a Washington state fruit farmer: "We have been holding US$66,668 of product that is supposed to ship in two containers on a carrier and $82,188.50 of product for three containers on another carrier all week. "These products all need to make the voyage to South American markets in time for their holidays. If they do not ship, we will lose the sales entirely, as my customers cannot sell what they do not have, and no one gets a second swing at fresh produce, unlike durable goods." he said.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    If I was a shipping company I would find some way to avoid that dock.

Dockworkers are on slowdown at Los Angeles, Long Beach, Seattle and Tacoma, which are basically the only ports on the West Coast where you can unload a container ship full of goods from China. The alternative involves travelling through the Panama Canal to ports on the east coast, which could easily cost more and take as long or longer as just waiting for your ship to get unloaded at Los Angeles.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Dockworkers are on slowdown at Los Angeles, Long Beach, Seattle and Tacoma, which are basically the only ports on the West Coast where you can unload a container ship full of goods from China. The alternative involves travelling through the Panama Canal to ports on the east coast, which could easily cost more and take as long or longer as just waiting for your ship to get unloaded at Los Angeles.

That would make it difficult. Vancouver's dock is basically around the bend from Seattle. I wonder what paperwork and delays would be involved with going through Canada?

Anyway, I've derailed enough.

So Formula D, anything I should know going in? I've already downloaded extra print and play tracks.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    So Formula D, anything I should know going in? I've already downloaded extra print and play tracks.

Players making shifting sounds and engine noises during their turns is mandatory.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Doomtown sounds kind of cool but two LCGs is probably my limit. The poker mechanic is pretty sharp. Like dang, that's some solid mechanical/thematic synergy right there

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

That would make it difficult. Vancouver's dock is basically around the bend from Seattle. I wonder what paperwork and delays would be involved with going through Canada?

Anyway, I've derailed enough.

Don't play with more than five people. While having a crowded track is fun, the downtime will kill the game.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Doomtown sounds kind of cool but two LCGs is probably my limit. The poker mechanic is pretty sharp. Like dang, that's some solid mechanical/thematic synergy right there

Yeah Doomtown sounds really swank but I am already doing Netrunner and honestly I think one LCG is my cap. (Plus digital CCG type games like scrolls, is really more than enough card acquiring action for me). Which is a bummer because Doomtown seems really great but really with two LCGs I doubt I'd have time for any other boardgames and i love boardgames to much for that.

• Options
    That is brilliant! Mandatory racing noises.
    My usual gaming group is 5-6. Is there any way to speed up turns for larger player counts or not really? I see they sell extra dice.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    My usual gaming group is 5-6. Is there any way to speed up turns for larger player counts or not really? I see they sell extra dice.

Hmmmm, I've never tried it but I wonder what would happen if you rolled after your move instead of before.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular

I've played with 6 and didn't really notice much downtime with the basic rules. Using the advanced rules might take a bit longer as you have to decide where to take the wear, but beginner rules are quick.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Well, in the end instead of Descent I spent the same money to get Claustrophobia and Seasons. Let's see how it goes when it arrives!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ohh you're in for a treat!

Seaasons is a great game.

With its delightful, whimsical art and big inviting dice. Lovely and colorful.

Then after a few plays you start to see the just vicious combinations you can make and realize how mean it really is.

Best sneak cutthroat game.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    Ha ha ha yea, Seasons is great because of just how vicious and completely cruel the combos can be.

rqv6.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good 2-player co-OP game for me and my wife?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm not sure what you mean by "industrial action" though. Could you explain? My searches turned up union issues since they lost contract in July.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_action

Specifically, this is an organized slowdown, it seems.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good 2-player co-OP game for me and my wife?

Ghost Stories
    Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
    Pandemic
    Robinson Crusoe
    Forbidden Desert

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Pandemic: The Cure plays great with two.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776