As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Draft [chat]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Like this is a completely separate thing from the hacking incident

really

Tied supposedly to the same group.

So no it isn't a completely separate thing.

They are interconnected bullshit.

And the government is kind of looking at them as one.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    stop feeding the cat people food, I said

Repeatedly

Forever

Now he whines all the time and licks dirty plates and wants sardines and God dammit

but sig, sardines are delicious

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Alternatively, you can play the fuck you forever strategy where you occupy them near 100 percent and then let rebellions take all your seiges.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    if sony were a private unlimited with no corporate veil, would that change the ethics of hacking its computers

then it would be more a matter of semantics

if you refereed to the entity as "Sony" no. If you refereed to the single person who in that case is synonymous with "Sony" then yes.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Time really hasn't helped

I still want to hit sony execs with bats

Don't blame Sony for this, they're victims. Blame NK.

I think I've realized why I don't think the "victim blaming" thing applies here: Sony is a corporation not a person. It should not be due the respect or rights of a person. Saying a corporation done fucked up and that contributed to this mess is not blaming a victim.

I don't see what else to call them. They did fuck up, agreed. They were also threatened as a whole as a company with acts of terrorism by a hostile government. They're not neutral observers in this international incident. But to blame the whole thing on them? Ridiculous.

well "victim blaming" is a very loaded phrase with much stronger implications than that so I don't think it is a good idea to use it here or any of the usual pre-canned augments about victim blaming.

I disagree. They did fuck up with their security, but they're not responsible for this mess. They had their staff and their families personally threatened with violence and had their social security numbers breached and the execs were given warnings about releasing more incriminating information from the hack. What are they if they're not victims? They're not the bad guys here, that's NK.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Have you gotten the Hungary event to fire yet?

That actually fired really early and I diplo-annexed them in the early 1500s

My army and economy are strong, don't get me wrong, I just don't have the raw manpower to take France on and crush them wholly

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Hey uh

Can I gently

ask some of you guys who are comparing Sony getting hacked to someone getting raped

to stop doing that?

Please?

I'd really rather not become a total fucking asshole towards you but like, it's not a subject I'm going to be a rational actor about and everyone here knows that and knows why so

can we just

use a different analogy

your argument can be your argument, I'm not asking you to stop your argument or change your beliefs or whatever

but can you please stop using the phrase "victim blaming" and directly evoking terminology that compares a billion-dollar corporation getting fucked over on a million-dollar movie deal to me getting violently raped for several hours

thanks, yo

I'd appreciate that

Pony on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/f7IMF9McFfs

you're fine emerson

calm down

Oh my fucking God dying squirtle

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    credible threat to an individual ≠ nebulous and highly unlikely threat

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I think I've realized why I don't think the "victim blaming" thing applies here: Sony is a corporation not a person. It should not be due the respect or rights of a person. Saying a corporation done fucked up and that contributed to this mess is not blaming a victim.

A corporation can be a victim just like a person. If it isn't ok to say that a girl fucked up by leaving her drink unattended at a party because it is the rapist's responsibility not to rape then it isn't ok to say that Sony shouldn't have left its data unprotected. It is the hacker's responsibility not to hack.

totally disagree here. Corporations are absolutely not due any of the respect or assumptions of good-faith which our fellow human beings are. And respect and fellow humanity are the foundations of the argument about not victim-blaming people.

As I understand it, the whole idea of victim-blaming is that it is wrong to focus on what the victim did or did not do because it is never the fault of the victim for other people being horrible. This seems just as applicable to Sony as it does to a person.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

they aren't victims

they are cowards

Sure they are. They got hacked, threatened and extorted by terrorists. What would you do in their position? Keep in mind NK isn't as weak as people think they are. They have a history of abducting and killing people in other nations.

Stood my goddamn ground and stood behind the protection of my nation-state against an act of war

Do you think Anita Sarkeesian was a coward for not going to Arizona for her speech? Do you put the blame solely on her for not following through? I don't. I blame the piece of trash that threatened her and the university with violence.

So what if they're cowards? What's a risk isn't only their bottom line, it's peoples lives. They're reacting to the terrorists.

nope

invalid comparison. once again you are equating a corporation to a person.

also, analogies are the last refuge of people with no good arguments

It's like when you run out of ammo in Wolfenstein and have to kill roboHitler with a knife.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    stop feeding the cat people food, I said

Repeatedly

Forever

Now he whines all the time and licks dirty plates and wants sardines and God dammit

this is why you should feed him people instead

it deals with the problem both of his addiction to people food and the people feeding him

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

they aren't victims

they are cowards

Sure they are. They got hacked, threatened and extorted by terrorists. What would you do in their position? Keep in mind NK isn't as weak as people think they are. They have a history of abducting and killing people in other nations.

Stood my goddamn ground and stood behind the protection of my nation-state against an act of war

Do you think Anita Sarkeesian was a coward for not going to Arizona for her speech? Do you put the blame solely on her for not following through? I don't. I blame the piece of trash that threatened her and the university with violence.

So what if they're cowards? What's a risk isn't only their bottom line, it's peoples lives. They're reacting to the terrorists.

nope

It's like when you run out of ammo in Wolfenstein and have to kill roboHitler with a knife.

I don't know, I don't think I would kill robot Hitler any other way.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    if sony were a private unlimited with no corporate veil, would that change the ethics of hacking its computers

then it would be more a matter of semantics

if you refereed to the entity as "Sony" no. If you refereed to the single person who in that case is synonymous with "Sony" then yes.

sole proprietorship?

idk

heck, toss out the economic activity - consider whether a homeowner should be obliged to put fences around their house in order to demarcate private property

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

they aren't victims

they are cowards

nope

What else do I call Sony then? It's a corporation which has thousands of people who each were threatened and extorted by terrorists. It's not like the employees and the higher ups ceased by people when they joined it.

I'm using an analogy since what happened was on a bigger scale yet the same result.

• Options

A corporation can be a victim just like a person. If it isn't ok to say that a girl fucked up by leaving her drink unattended at a party because it is the rapist's responsibility not to rape then it isn't ok to say that Sony shouldn't have left its data unprotected. It is the hacker's responsibility not to hack.

totally disagree here. Corporations are absolutely not due any of the respect or assumptions of good-faith which our fellow human beings are. And respect and fellow humanity are the foundations of the argument about not victim-blaming people.

As I understand it, the whole idea of victim-blaming is that it is wrong to focus on what the victim did or did not do because it is never the fault of the victim for other people being horrible. This seems just as applicable to Sony as it does to a person.

Rape culture doesn't apply to corporate security breaches

The context is so different that it's silly

Just abandon victim blaming as your objection and say hey guys I don't think this as much sonys fault as you do instead of making tortured analogies that are legit upsetting some people

• Options
    @Harry Dresden

Please Stop.

I'm not kidding, dude.

I'm not telling you to do anything, I'm simply asking. I have no authority to tell you to do anything. I am asking you, though, as politely as I can manage on this subject.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Fine. I don't understand the difference to be honest, but fine.

• Options
    In reality my care for the Sony thing is super minuscule.

My guess there was something more in the hack than has been released and Sony saw the cost benefit of pulling the film was better than not pulling it.

Just like the cost benefit of the theaters not showing it. Because that is how corps work. They way the cost benefit. Corps are much more rational actors than individuals. Corps are collective groups so you get more predictable behavior out of them.

Really all I care about is the US and possible Japan's response to this since Sony Pictures is US based and Sony is Japan based.

I mean it is NK. What can you do? Put tariffs on air? I mean at this point you can do much economically to them. And really not much at all without China who is probably now trying to figure out how they can pull the same shit off.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Not to be crass.

But it's more like sexual blackmail

actually no that's needlessly crass. there's no need to bring anything sexual into this.

it's just blackmail

blackmail is the term you want.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

they aren't victims

they are cowards

nope

I don't know, I don't think I would kill robot Hitler any other way.

In the same fashion, using analogies without any need to do so is a common thing.

The system works.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't care that it isn't Sony's fault this is happening

My issue is with their actions and those of Paramount and AMC and Bow Tie Cinemas and all the others giving credulity to threats on movie theaters

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this is like that time i tried to use an analogy but then i woke up in a bathtub full of ice with both my metaphors removed

it turns out the analogy... was using me

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Thank you.

You can continue to make your argument, and you can continue to believe what you believe, I'm not objecting to you stating what you think or making your argument.

It was how you were doing it I found deeply upsetting for incredibly personal reasons, and thank you for not doing it that way and respecting that.

Please carry on.

• Options
    this is like that time i tried to use an analogy but then i woke up in a bathtub full of ice with both my metaphors removed

it turns out the analogy... was using me

Analogy that whore!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    @Harry Dresden

Please Stop.

I'm not kidding, dude.

I'm not telling you to do anything, I'm simply asking. I have no authority to tell you to do anything. I am asking you, though, as politely as I can manage on this subject.

I posted before I saw yours, sorry. I'm open to suggestions. It was the most obvious example that I know people agree was bad. I didn't mean to upset you or anybody else. Its upsetting me too.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

No, because a corporation, being something intentionally created, has (or should have) certain responsibilities.

Say, for example, you invested some money with a company. They use terrible--or no--security, some hackers get access to the bank accounts, and abscond with all the cash.
    Would you not sue the company hoping to recover your losses?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

just make your argument without dragging in analogies that are invalid in any case

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I guess the reason the The Interview situation doesn't bother me is because, ultimately, Sony can do whatever they want

Any business can

If they want to spend millions producing and promoting a movie, and then choose not to release it

Even if they were to provide no explanation

What right do I have to be upset?

Sony doesn't represent me. Their response to a threat is not mine / the response of the government that DOES represent me.

Dorks want to throw their money away?

k

• Options
    If you want analogy thing of leaving your car unlocked.

Sony left their car unlocked.

Their cds got stolen and their phone.

There you go.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    What I am saying, and I really believe this, is that either injured parties are partially responsible for bad things that happen to them when they fail to take precautions, or injured parties are never at fault because we believe that blame is moral, and so it is only the person doing what they are prohibited from (in this case, hacking) that is to blame in anyway for the harm. I normally do not agree with these types of arguments, but a lot of people here seem to. And I can see the appeal in the argument.

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    @Harry Dresden

Please Stop.

I'm not kidding, dude.

I posted before I saw yours, sorry. I'm open to suggestions. It was the most obvious example that I know people agree was bad. I didn't mean to upset you or anybody else. Its upsetting me too.

Alright cool.

• Options
    u4czuoavjz1z.jpg

Cat now begging at end of couch

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    The video game Hatred is a real thing, and also James Franco and Seth Rogan made a movie about fake espionage and terrorism that resulted in real espionage and terrorism.

Time to take a look back at the immensely accomplished Western culture that stretches from the glories of ancient Greece to the present day and say: we've had a good run; party's over.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I honestly don't care that it isn't Sony's fault this is happening

My issue is with their actions and those of Paramount and AMC and Bow Tie Cinemas and all the others giving credulity to threats on movie theaters

a
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I guess the reason the The Interview situation doesn't bother me is because, ultimately, Sony can do whatever they want

Any business can

If they want to spend millions producing and promoting a movie, and then choose not to release it

Even if they were to provide no explanation

What right do I have to be upset?

Sony doesn't represent me. Their response to a threat is not mine / the response of the government that DOES represent me.

Dorks want to throw their money away?

k

When it's an international flare gun that signals to other countries that bullying tactics and cyber terrorism are the way to get what they want

it's a big fucking problem.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What I am saying, and I really believe this, is that either injured parties are partially responsible for bad things that happen to them when they fail to take precautions, or injured parties are never at fault because we believe that blame is moral, and so it is only the person doing what they are prohibited from (in this case, hacking) that is to blame in anyway for the harm. I normally do not agree with these types of arguments, but a lot of people here seem to. And I can see the appeal in the argument.

Ok but then you make the totally unsubstantiated leap to making the term "parties" cover both human beings and corporations.

If you can prove that a corporation should be equated with a human then, and only then, would it be valid to move on to the subsequent argument you are making.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

eh, it's not difficult. gender as a protected identity, etc etc. hence different philosophical/legal treatment. it might be more correct to limit 'victim blaming' as 'it is not appropriate to blame a member of a protected class for other people being horrible to that member due to their membership in that class'.

protected identities itself emerges from more fundamental concepts of equal access to public participation, etc etc., which trump normal private property rights

therefore it is more appropriate to compare/contrast IT breaches to other kinds of private property

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    If you want analogy thing of leaving your car unlocked.

Sony left their car unlocked.

Their cds got stolen and their phone.

There you go.

Except that wasn't all it was. Employees got threatening messages to quit the company and they are their families will get hurt.

edit: You're right that the hack itself was what you're describing, so it fits there.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

did you ever respond to my comment found here?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/31451924/#Comment_31451924

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    There are people who work within the corporate entity called Sony who have a specific responsibility to secure their company's computer systems.

It's appropriate in this case to call out a fuck up a fuck up.

This discussion has been closed.