Options

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I died because I overestimated the power of the pump-action and neglected finding any good cover

I also probably shouldn't have been so quick to shoot!

• Options
    HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    Don't ever regret pulling the trigger, Platy.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Ya shoulda told us you were killed though. I looked to my left and saw what I thought was you prone in the field. I figured, OK, he's sorta in a bad spot but he's got that side covered at least. Point being, we were acting under the assumption you were still alive haha. Then when you did tell us you were killed, I think we both assumed you meant just then and were weary of a third guy. Wasn't a big deal though, but communication is always key!

Actually on that note, I am pretty happy with the way we all communicate and fight any more. We've been playing together so long I think we all do an excellent job in general at this point of providing concise information and just working well together. Not talking over each other etc. Our firestation fight the other day was pretty rad because that group was about as organized as us and had the element of surprise and we still came out on top.

I wonder if maybe the pistol grip shotgun has a larger spread or does less damage than the normal pump. Seems entirely possible, as I think it's got a shorter barrel so I'd bet that's true at least for the spread.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    Ah, I just felt really dumb because my death could have been so easily avoidable, considering how oblivious these guys seemed to their surroundings! We could have probably walked right up to them. "Hey guys, guess what?" Bam.

• Options
    We're so good at trucks fellers!

• Options
    Yes, we are, yes, we are

threetrucks.jpg~original

• Options
    Guys, I'm not sure about our styles here. I think we need to do better.

• Options
    HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    I promise once I die, I'll go back to looking like helen keller dressed me

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I think you could spice it up with a nice pair of pants or shorts Hammy. Maybe some violet ones. Perhaps a fashionable tracksuit jacket, to contrast your ghillie a bit more.
    I like what Vsove has going on, sorta a journalist type of deal, but he could use a bit of color. Maybe some colorful shoes and as much as I like the pilot helmet, a bright hat.
    Wombat needs a whole new getup. Just yeck.
    I'm not very happy with what I've got going, I think I too need maybe some shorts or patchwork pants, and a new top.

The problem is besides the press vest, it's hard to look stylish with the other vests. They are all just too tacticool.

New status report: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/219187-status-report-week-of-12-jan-15/

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    I think Hammy looked pretty cool!

hammybible.jpg~original

convoy.jpg~original

• Options
    Shields up! Vvvrrrooommm

I suppose when you can actually repair/replace parts that having the hood up will mean shooting the engine is super easy, and the "shield" will no longer be viable.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    327mtlk7o24q.jpg

I am pleased.

Hamuel on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Pretty similar to the death map, here's one of live players at a single particular time, across all servers:
    dCcH4P9.png

Wish it were bigger!

Anyone ever try any of these kinda things? Besides the nosplash/skipintro deals.
    http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154330-possible-fps-enhancer/

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I have the following going in my launch parameters from many months ago:

-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=4

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I'll have to take a look. I'm running a pretty beefy machine and it still has issues with loading/with my FPS.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I showed Vsove this already but this is in regards to scopes, from Chris Torchia, the lead art dev:
    Yeah..it'll happen eventually. For now we're fine with fewer elite specops snipers on the map :). I, personally, think it takes the sport out of gun fights. I played for a few years with ShackTac and there was a 'no magnified optics' rule-of-thumb for mission makers to encourage the use of tactics and fighting as a team. It really made you think twice before taking those 500m shots at a squad by yourself. It was pretty much suicide. Anyways, they'll get added along with more advanced crafting features so that scopes will be compatible with many more rifles.

As Vsove put it, the last part is nice but the first part is troubling. I responded to the guy cautioning that they are showing a bit too much bias against sniping. Whether he'll read it at all, take it to heart, or just dismiss it who knows!

That guy especially but also some of the others like Brian Hicks I think, have made similar comments a lot. Referring to "1337 snipx0rz" and what not, saying they don't want to encourage that sorta thing. I personally think it's none of their fucking business honestly lol. To me it's similar to the KOS or third person debates. People pick a side on it because they've been on the receiving end then dismiss that anything good actually comes from it.

Sniping is fun and it makes interesting scenarios. Our fight yesterday where wombat got sniped had us all moving and working as a team. I've seen it with fresh spawns that don't even know each other, a sniper is taking shots and they band together. Countless scenarios arise, just like anything else. And snipers are actually usually the easiest type of player to predict and counter. You've got much better odds against a sniper than the dude coming around the corner with a shotgun or assault rifle.

I don't mind them limiting the higher end sniper rifles. If a DMR is hard to find, that makes it a goal and more interesting. But they shouldn't be more rare than a current aug or whatever. Maybe a .50 cal could be exceptionally rare, but why regulate sniper rifles so much when nothing else is.

Rant aside, it says crafting options so maybe its what some of you have been wanting of just taping scopes to rifles.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    Some tips on how to shoot mans better: http://redd.it/2t6mp3

• Options
    I did pretty well when I was at Balota with Bororm, I might have taken out two guys with four shots (or I might have fired six? I don't really remember)

And then later I fired around 150 rounds at the guy with the Sporter before I finally killed him

• Options
    The point about zeroing your gun to 200 or 300 meters is actually incredibly interesting

• Options
    The point about zeroing your gun to 200 or 300 meters is actually incredibly interesting

The zeroing comments in general are a bit suspect to me. I mean, I guess if you get used to it, it works or maybe there is something to zeroing to 200. But zeroing in the SA seems really exaggerated and feels bad. In the mod, most of the guns were 300 by default and it wasn't an issue to shoot targets closer than that. In the SA, zeroing to default 100 can even make you miss at lower ranges.

But I also often prefer to go for head shots, and when I don't I typically aim more for the chest area. This guy says he aims just above the waist. I wouldn't be surprised if as a result he ends up with head shots more often.

Any ways, I think most of that boils down to the individual rather than the zeroing and getting a feel for whatever you're using. I could set it to 500 and aim at feet and maybe that would work. When it comes to zeroing I want my shot to go where I'm pointing it, not above or below, because I do go for head shots or leg shots. That said, maybe I'll try 200 a bit and see if its just wonky and that ends up with a more accurate shot than 100 at these ranges.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I just spent a bunch of time in Severograd, the sorta "war memorial" town up north in the middle of the map.

I know Wombat's been complaining about all the cities in the north, and I do mostly agree with him. They're fast running out of any actual wilderness, and a bunch of huge cities is kinda meh. But, I gotta admit, after looting it a bunch I like the layout at least. It's sorta sprawled out a bit, and there's decent sniping spots on the hills. But I like that there's also a bunch of scattered smaller houses around it, making for potentially nice spots to shoot and fall back from and probably have some cool engagements.

It has a ton of pretty high value loot buildings. It has a school, firestation, tech building, police station, multiple hunting lodges, a glass industrial, construction site, hell it even has a crane (despite all that I spent forever trying to find a mosin, and then lost it to a bug). I can see it becoming a pretty popular spot later on when vehicles are maybe a bit more wide spread. The main northern highway goes straight through it, so I'm sure it gets decent foot traffic as is but I can see people driving through to hit the industrials for parts and loot in general in the future. I think it will turn out kinda cool, like a midway/stop through kinda city.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    I tried the zeroing thing kinda. Just against zombies. It seemed that at about 20-30m, 100/200/300 zeroing all gave the same results now so I guess they fixed it a bit. At roughly 50-75m I was still able to accurately hit some zombies with 200m zeroing too.

Probably worth testing more before getting in an actual fight though.

• Options
    Some guy appeared behind me and asked me to drop my gun - I dropped it and still got shot

We think it might have been a hacker because he also killed Hammy and Wombat within thirty seconds after I died - pretty disappointing!

But I visited the military base near Pavlovo for the first time and it seems like a potentially fun spot - there's a ton of industrial spawns there, so it might be one of the best places to build a ghillie

• Options
    armbands for identification coming soon
    Yd5d3ig.png

Light sources on firearms/projectiles:
    http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/219630-ammunition-update-lights-attached-on-projectiles-flare-gun/

This could potentially mean tracer options too imo, which would be rad!

Discussion on what you should be able to do from vehicles: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/219599-vehicles-driving-shooting-hitting/
    So what would you like to be able to do in the vehicle?
    What level of detail would you love to see when fixing cars, tuning, driving?

I would love to shoot zombies from drivers seat with a pistol in my right hand while slowly driving through town :)
    from the dev.

• Options
    I'm not sure how I feel about wearing an armband

Kinda hope it's just a piece of cloth you tie around your arm, western-style, that would be cool (maybe craftable from rags?)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah it's meant to be an identifier for groups and what not. I think it's cool! Much better than floating group indicators or something, and adds the nice potential of being an impostor.

They need to let you dye/color stuff more.

I finally got rid of my shakes, but at what price?? :[
    1Y49URf.jpg

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Yeah it's meant to be an identifier for groups and what not. I think it's cool! Much better than floating group indicators or something, and adds the nice potential of being an impostor.

They need to let you dye/color stuff more.

I finally got rid of my shakes, but at what price?? :[
    1Y49URf.jpg
    you disgust me

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    BORORM NO

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    it's okay. I asked him if he wanted to "go die" at the airfield, which we promptly did.

can't shake a fucking stick in this game without running into some goddamn asshat hacker kid.

• Options
    It's really bad :[

They keep saying "oh, it's not scripts. it's just a matter of finding these 'doors' and closing them so people can't hack" but it's like, how hard can it be to reverse engineer these hacks and shut those "doors?" It's pretty ridiculous.

Also, that hacker manipulated my inventory. He took the ammo out of my gun and forced me to put it away too. Things I thought they'd maybe fixed since I hadn't had my shit stripped off me in a long time.
    blegh

I think it's gonna come down to white listed private servers again. I really was hoping they could get it decently under control, I don't really expect there to never be any hackers in an online game any more but it seems super easy, still. The problem is it's hard to find good private servers as we all know. BMRF was an exception, and even they had their faults. Finding something like that again is gonna be hard.

• Options
    I nominate bororm to try and find a decent private server to populate.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-19-jan-15

At first, I was like :biggrin: , but then I saw >disease and I was like :bigfrown:

In all seriousness, this is one of the big reasons why vanilla dayz started failing. Disease is such a fucking clunky game mechanic. For things like horticulture, animal butchering, all that living-off-the-land crap, players can avoid them if they want to. They don't have to farm pumpkins in order to avoid starvation. But the option is there, because some people like that kind of thing.

As for disease? There's no way for players to opt out of that. Everywhere they go, zombies are infected with disease, so not only do you have to avoid getting hit because of the possibility of 1. bleeding, 2. ruined gear, 3. broken limbs, but now a fourth, arguably most obnoxious option, infectious disease only curable with rare medication. Oh yeah, and then there's also avoiding zombies because they're fucking loud and they do stealth exactly zero favors.

I only hope they give this mechanic some SERIOUS thought before implementing it. There will be nothing worse than a repeat of the vanilla DayZ experience after all this time.

Hamuel on
  • Options
    What bugs me the most about the zombies these days is that they're so difficult to avoid

Even if you run circles around every zombie you see, there will be another one behind a bush or one seeing you from 400 meters and aggroing on you - I could also live without zombies seeing you through windows

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I've been watching a bunch of streams for H1Z1...Really debating giving that a try. Did any of you guys end up getting it and trying it out?

• Options
    Diseases are sooo gross. Hopefully they're a lot more subtle than they were in the mod. If you can just overcome it by eating/drinking a lot or something then it shouldn't be too bad. If its like the mod where every zombie hit fucken infects you and there's no antibiotics any where then that will blow. The temperature thing can be slightly annoying and needs tweaking but it's not tooo bad, so if it's closer to that then the shit in the mod it might be ok. Of course the problem becomes stacking up these things to the point where you're always fussing about being cold and sick.
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    I've been watching a bunch of streams for H1Z1...Really debating giving that a try. Did any of you guys end up getting it and trying it out?

A few folk from the group have (vsove, nova, mantrap, esh) but I personally haven't. The general consensus seemed to be that like most games of this type, it's fun with friends and to mess around but full of all the same early access issues really. There's hackers/dupers already too.

• Options
    So I kinda think the double barrel is fucked up again, some how. I've shot dudes multiple times and they don't bleed and the shot pattern seemed off to me. I haven't been using it all that much lately, but the few times I have it just seems off a little.

Any ways, I just spent close to 2 hours trying to find one to test. They really need a firing range or some shit so we can test this sorta shit and also just practice in general. But I think the bottom line is they don't even give a shit about how guns function right now, and are in the process of changing it any ways so it's all probably pointless regardless.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    So the new prison island is pretty fucking stupid. It's in the seas between Kamenka and Komarovo. It has, like, 3 barracks, a walled exterior with no holes, a jail, and then the actual prison. Good luck trying to raid that thing on a private shard during active hours.

Also: http://youtu.be/k7eexbwdSdU

Hamuel on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Hamuel wrote: »
    no holes

That's super-stupid

Also not looking forward to having to swim under potential sniper fire

Seems like a coin toss, not something you can come out of by outplaying your enemy

Platy on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    But I'm very happy with the design of the actual prison

I was afraid it was going to be some ugly blocky thing

Kinda wish though they had placed it somewhere along the eastern coast in the vicinity of Solnichny and Khrutoy Cap, there's very little of interest in that area whereas the eastern edge of the map is going to have a string of military bases (the prison, the base just north of Kamenka, Zelenogorsk, Green Mountain and then it's just a small hop to the Vybor/Kabanino base and the airfield)

Platy on