Options

Ferguson Thread

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    also I did not know there was a bill in the Missouri leg to repeal GJ process all together. Huh.

Need to protect DAs from wasting their time throwing a case.

It's a waste of money to bring people in for all that time, with mandatory compensation, for what is ultimately a rubber stamp process for the prosecutor's opinion.

Of course, it really should be reformed, because it can theoretically serve a valuable purpose.

For one thing, having a Judge sit in on it so there's (theoretically) someone present who can slap down the DA's attempt to quote laws that have been unconstitutional for 30 years.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yf6AA19.jpg

I am dead

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Looks like you only need to say it once.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    "it never makes the news". heh.

Confirmation bias at its worst.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    God every time I hear that "Never makes the news!" line a part of me dies inside.

Yes it does, yes it fucking does. ALL THE TIME! Its just that often times we as a society seek justice in whatever way we can for them whether they were criminals or not, so it doesn't really get touted on the news for a long time because it doesn't need to.

I bet the kid is from the South. Only the special Southern ignorance can give me such a large headache.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    The South doesn't have a monopoly on ignorance

See: Ferguson, Missouri

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The South doesn't have a monopoly on ignorance

See: Ferguson, Missouri

Ferguson Missouri is pretty much The South.

Cog on
  • Options
    Midwest, but I am not really interested in arguing over where The South starts and ends.

My point remains. Ignorance is not exclusively a Southern Thing.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I'll allow it.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Yf6AA19.jpg

I am dead

Where have I seen this before

MRAs
    #notallmen
    Gamergate

Hmm.

HMMMM.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Missouri and its status as a slave state had a starring role in the run-up to the Civil War. There's a reason why Branson is the honky tonk equivalent to Vegas (or at least Atlantic City).

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/us/justice-department-ferguson-civil-rights-darren-wilson.html?_r=1

Feds going to decline to indict Darren Wilson on civil rights violations. The investigation on whether the Ferguson PD has been discriminatory in excessive force/traffic stops is still open.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Proving intent is hard (which is required for federal civil rights charges, I believe) without Klan membership or whatever is super hard.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think that anyone expected or even suggested that Wilson had a chance of conviction for civil rights abuse.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    I guess I'm wondering where the fuck the Bar is regarding that shady ass prosecutor. Like, how is the shit the ADA spewed during those two days not regarded as gross misconduct?

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Missouri and its status as a slave state had a starring role in the run-up to the Civil War. There's a reason why Branson is the honky tonk equivalent to Vegas (or at least Atlantic City).

Anything south of the Mason Dixon Line is south imo. This is completely a cultural delineation and not a geographical one

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Midwest, but I am not really interested in arguing over where The South starts and ends.

My point remains. Ignorance is not exclusively a Southern Thing.

But you are interested in conflating what I said into the South having a monopoly on ignorance.

Which I didn't, I'm just implying that they really do ignorance up in the South.

Also Missouri is part of the South, whether you're interested in arguing it or not. Which would help to explain part of the situation in Ferguson, actually.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

Anything south of the Mason Dixon Line is south imo. This is completely a cultural delineation and not a geographical one

It's a historical delineation as well. When people migrated to the West, they largely went directly west for obvious reasons. North Carolinians colonized Tennessee who colonized Arkansas who colonized Oklahoma, etc. Things get a little diluted when you get out of the Midwest, simply because you already had an established population from Spanish colonialism and indigenous populations, as Spanish integrated and intermarried with the natives as much as they killed them, creating a mixed culture, while the whites largely just killed them.

It's pretty obvious from any map of the Confederacy. The only reason Missouri and Kentucky weren't in the Confederacy is that the Federal Army essentially invaded and sat on them at the start of the war.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Missouri's Civil War history is way more complicated than that. They really were a microcosm of the whole country.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Missouri's Civil War history is way more complicated than that. They really were a microcosm of the whole country.

To be fair, the history of every state that participated in the Civil War is more complicated than North or South, or Union and Confederate. This includes the antebellum and reconstruction periods as well. Some of the issues from those periods are still very much a part of our current national situation.

However, again, I will say that while in the South you can and will experience people who are so ignorant that they almost redefine it. Like, there's an Onion article about someone who wishes that God would give her the ability to treat gays with respect but since He didn't she wasn't meant to? I have heard actual people say shit like that with pride while I lived and traveled through the area.

Here's a clip of David Cross talking about it, along with other things that are NSFW and trigger warning on the whole talking about atheism, swearing, and mentioning racism things.
    http://youtu.be/z09So1j4kpk

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    So it turns out that the NAACP bombing wasn't a hate crime after all, according to the guy who confessed to setting the bomb.

Apparently he was trying to blow up his accountant (who had been convicted of tax fraud) for destroying his tax records. The NAACP is understandably suspicious of this explanation, but the accountant's name -is- on the building, the suspect -is- in tax trouble, and the accountant -was- convicted of falsifying federal tax returns. If the shoe fits, etc.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    So it turns out that the NAACP bombing wasn't a hate crime after all, according to the guy who confessed to setting the bomb.

Apparently he was trying to blow up his accountant (who had been convicted of tax fraud) for destroying his tax records. The NAACP is understandably suspicious of this explanation, but the accountant's name -is- on the building, the suspect -is- in tax trouble, and the accountant -was- convicted of falsifying federal tax returns. If the shoe fits, etc.

Also, the accountant had apparently died back in June. So... he was trying to kill a dead man, literally.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »

To be fair, the history of every state that participated in the Civil War is more complicated than North or South, or Union and Confederate. This includes the antebellum and reconstruction periods as well. Some of the issues from those periods are still very much a part of our current national situation.

However, again, I will say that while in the South you can and will experience people who are so ignorant that they almost redefine it. Like, there's an Onion article about someone who wishes that God would give her the ability to treat gays with respect but since He didn't she wasn't meant to? I have heard actual people say shit like that with pride while I lived and traveled through the area.

Here's a clip of David Cross talking about it, along with other things that are NSFW and trigger warning on the whole talking about atheism, swearing, and mentioning racism things.
    http://youtu.be/z09So1j4kpk

Except that you can find those sorts of people anywhere, not just the South. I think we do a great disservice when we look at racism in the US with a purely Southern lens.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, until Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana take up arms in service of racism, the south can take it on the chin and like it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Well, until Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana take up arms in service of racism, the south can take it on the chin and like it.

:winky:

• Options
    edited February 2015

Let's see:

Oregon was founded as a white-only homeland. It was not just illegal but outright unconstitutional for minorities to own land in Oregon for decades after its establishment. This treatment of minorities has shaped the makeup of Oregon, and continues to do so to this day.

Idaho, especially the northern part, remains a hotbed of white separatist groups to this day. Several of the more notable of the "white power" groups have or had headquarters in north Idaho.

Montana is exceptionally racially uniform, and there continue to be tensions between residents and the First Nations (which is something that actually directly affects me, as my girlfriend is Native, and has to deal with this crap.) There are similar issues in Eastern Washington as well.

So your attitude is not only unhelpful and rather goosey, but ignorant of history as well. As long as we keep on seeing racism as the sin of the South, we can never truly address it in the US.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    The South has its issues, but pointing to us and going "only you're racist!" makes you blind to your own problems. Only one of the top ten most segregated cities is in the South.

• Options
    The South has its issues, but pointing to us and going "only you're racist!" makes you blind to your own problems. Only one of the top ten most segregated cities is in the South.

And honestly, the difference between the South and the rest of the US is more of kind than degree, mainly because of the demographic makeup.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2015

Let's see:

Oregon was founded as a white-only homeland. It was not just illegal but outright unconstitutional for minorities to own land in Oregon for decades after its establishment. This treatment of minorities has shaped the makeup of Oregon, and continues to do so to this day.

Idaho, especially the northern part, remains a hotbed of white separatist groups to this day. Several of the more notable of the "white power" groups have or had headquarters in north Idaho.

Montana is exceptionally racially uniform, and there continue to be tensions between residents and the First Nations (which is something that actually directly affects me, as my girlfriend is Native, and has to deal with this crap.) There are similar issues in Eastern Washington as well.

So your attitude is not only unhelpful and rather goosey, but ignorant of history as well. As long as we keep on seeing racism as the sin of the South, we can never truly address it in the US.

They still didn't commit treason in defense of slavery and they also didn't enact voting restrictions at the first opportunity. They also don't still decry 150+ year old war unironically as an invasion. And I certainly do not see, first hand, evidence that people still have all kinds of 'southern pride'. Nope.

The south is the go-to for Racism In America because of so many goddamned reasons that it isn't even necessary to enumerate them here. Complaining about it makes you a silly goose, too. As does needing to force people to accept that racism exists elsewhere as if we didn't know.

Mississippi's state flag still has the confederate battle flag. South Carolina still flies the damned thing above its capitol building. And the ten states that allow you to buy a license plate with it are all below the M-D line.
    In Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia vehicle owners can request a state-issued license plate featuring the Sons of Confederate Veterans logo, which incorporates the square Confederate battle flag.

So lets not fucking pretend that 'all states have fucked up histories' somehow means the south's particular fucked up history isn't somehow more notable. PBS has a nice, handy map showing where lynchings occurred. And while its true that many non-southern states performed that odious action, every single state in or associated with the Confederacy had by far the most lynchings. And the most against blacks.

You can take your indignation about how the south is treated and keep it to yourself. They've earned the enmity. I can tell you this much, it wasn't California where I saw a motorcyclist openly displaying the Stars and Bars.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    They still didn't commit treason in defense of slavery and they also didn't enact voting restrictions at the first opportunity.
    Draft riots in Northern cities by racists and the fact that California had a poll tax until 1914 give the lie to that.
    They also don't still decry 150+ year old war unironically as an invasion. And I certainly do not see, first hand, evidence that people still have all kinds of 'southern pride'. Nope.

Most of us don't do that, and our regional pride is just as valid as being proud of living in Portland or New York or wherever.
    The south is the go-to for Racism In America because of so many goddamned reasons that it isn't even necessary to enumerate them here. Complaining about it makes you a silly goose, too. As does needing to force people to accept that racism exists elsewhere as if we didn't know.

Well clearly you didn't know, Mr. Holier-Than-Thou
    Mississippi's state flag still has the confederate battle flag. South Carolina still flies the damned thing above its capitol building. And the ten states that allow you to buy a license plate with it are all below the M-D line.

Yeah 'cause that's where there would be descendents of traitors. If people like you continue to hit us in the face with our treason then don't be surprised when we say "fuck it" and take pride in it. It's reclaiming a pejorative, like gay people with "fag".
    So lets not fucking pretend that 'all states have fucked up histories' somehow means the south's particular fucked up history isn't somehow more notable. PBS has a nice, handy map showing where lynchings occurred. And while its true that many non-southern states performed that odious action, every single state in or associated with the Confederacy had by far the most lynchings. And the most against blacks.

And every one of the riots that occurred after MLK was killed occurred in Northern cities. But no, I'm sure the North is a magical place where racism has vanished and that rich white people don't move away when black folks move in next to them.
    You can take your indignation about how the south is treated and keep it to yourself. They've earned the enmity. I can tell you this much, it wasn't California where I saw a motorcyclist openly displaying the Stars and Bars.

You must not see very many motorcyclists, then. It's common thing for them.

Yeah, we were racist traitors who fought to keep slavery alive, and you bet your ass we know that. Why else would apologists come up with the lie of the Lost Cause and the genteel antebellum years? For most people it's easier to believe in whitewash than it is to accept that you come descended from monsters.

But you? You fight tooth and nail to keep the black man out of your lily-white neighborhoods, and you build fresh suburbs to flee to when he finally does move in. You owned slaves up until ten years before the Civil War.
    Wants African Dodger to Face Balls at Club Fair

Do you want to earn a few precious dollars on the evening of September 19 and 20?

If you do and if you are not at all particular as to what happens to your head why apply at Room 10 in the building at 144 Pine street. Ask for Charlie and tell him you "saw his ad in the paper". Charlie is looking for a lion-hearted and hard-headed young man who will act as an African dodger at the big carnival to be staged by the West Barrington Community Club. The reward? That is a little matter that you can adjust with Charlie. He will treat you fairly and will see that you reach the Rhode Island Hospital safely in the event that that [sic] one of the baseballs comes in contact with your head.

We beg your pardon for not detailing the duties of an African dodger. He just puts his head through a hole in a big piece of canvass and permits the aforesaid head to be used as a target by young men who toss baseballs.

One day last week an African dodger was killed in Elizabeth, N.J., and the week before a dodger was killed in Hackensack, but don't permit these deaths to influence you. ("Wants African Dodger", 1924).
    source

Your hypocrisy is galling to us and useless to you. When there's a smidgeon, even a hint, that you might be racist, you bang on tin pans and loudly yell "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SOUTH" as if that excuses your sins and solves your problems.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    That is a weird rant. Being from Georgia, I am unsure how anyone from the bible belt can feel that any other place in America is more racist. The further north I moved the less confederate flags I saw... still see some of them in North Carolina but in Georgia I doubt I could go 10 miles without seeing one on a truck or a residence.

Thats not to say the Northern and western states dont have their own racist problems but it tends to be less blatant.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Heck I see confederate flags in Socal suburbs

Thanks to modern transportation nobody's really so disenfranchised that they're stuck in one geographic location

I think you'd like to imagine that we've segregated racists into a below the belt penal colony and we just have to starve em out and outlive them, but no, the opposite has happened.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Phasen wrote: »
    That is a weird rant. Being from Georgia, I am unsure how anyone from the bible belt can feel that any other place in America is more racist. The further north I moved the less confederate flags I saw... still see some of them in North Carolina but in Georgia I doubt I could go 10 miles without seeing one on a truck or a residence.

Thats not to say the Northern and western states dont have their own racist problems but it tends to be less blatant.

That's...sort of the problem.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I see confederate flags all the time in Central Pennsylvania.

I blame the public education system.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    You could also turn to CMT to see one if you get that in your cable package

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

Not racist enough to wear it on their sleeve? I dont particularly care if someone is a raging racist if they never act on their racism or dont broadcast it. The south is pretty great about broadcasting that hate.

• Options

Not racist enough to wear it on their sleeve? I dont particularly care if someone is a raging racist if they never act on their racism or dont broadcast it. The south is pretty great about broadcasting that hate.

They're also pros at hiding it

• Options
    Paladin wrote: »

They're also pros at hiding it

Almost every has their own prejudices and most people understand that it is completely irrational. Someone who hangs up a confederate flag thinks prejudice is rational and should be embraced. There are definitely racists in the south that do not broadcast it. Consider the amount that do broadcast that hate, I think most people would say there are more people who outwardly embrace this kind of irrational behavior in the south. If there are that many that are "out" then what does that say for the numbers who are closeted in the south?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Let's see some citations, Phasen, because racism is pretty endemic to everywhere.

This discussion has been closed.