As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want [chat] liberation?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    It's sleeting down here and you'd think it's the End of Days the way the local news I reporting it.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Grifter wrote: »
    I think it's time to look for a new job. After a major power outage in Toronto that affected my office, my manager told me to sit and wait for the power to come back on because it could happen any minute. It took his boss seeing me sitting at my desk with my feet up doing nothing while the rest of the office has already left. That guy then called my boss and then my boss said perhaps I should go home and monitor the situation from there. The power didn't go back on until after 8PM.

So I go into the office on Saturday morning and check on all of the systems after I make sure that everything is powered back on. Then send out a message to the company letting them know that everything's good. He sends me a message on Saturday evening asking why he didn't receive more updates on the situation. Because he's an Orthodox Jew and there's no point sending a bunch of updates to somebody who isn't reading them due to his religion.

Finally, today there's a flood in our office in Aurora. The maintenance guy gets it cleaned up and turns our equipment back on. I check and it's good. However, the staff computers are offline. We ask the maintenance guy to check all of the equipment there and he says it all looks good. So, out of ideas, I rent a car and then drive up to the office. I fix the problem and get back home for about 4PM. So, I've spent all day working on this issue in some shape or form. Today's a holiday, btw. So I ask for tomorrow off in lieu. I get a big fat nope.

Fuck this.

Sorry to hear that grift, horribly upsetting when higher ups treat their employees like garbage. I especially don't understand how they think treating said employee (who clearly goes above and beyond especially) like trash, is going to make them stick around.

Also, @gavindel Monument Valley is a great little puzzle game for the iphone, also Device 6.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Oh man, how could I forget about monument valley?? It's a short game but very very beautiful, unique and fun.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I think it's time to look for a new job. After a major power outage in Toronto that affected my office, my manager told me to sit and wait for the power to come back on because it could happen any minute. It took his boss seeing me sitting at my desk with my feet up doing nothing while the rest of the office has already left. That guy then called my boss and then my boss said perhaps I should go home and monitor the situation from there. The power didn't go back on until after 8PM.

So I go into the office on Saturday morning and check on all of the systems after I make sure that everything is powered back on. Then send out a message to the company letting them know that everything's good. He sends me a message on Saturday evening asking why he didn't receive more updates on the situation. Because he's an Orthodox Jew and there's no point sending a bunch of updates to somebody who isn't reading them due to his religion.

Finally, today there's a flood in our office in Aurora. The maintenance guy gets it cleaned up and turns our equipment back on. I check and it's good. However, the staff computers are offline. We ask the maintenance guy to check all of the equipment there and he says it all looks good. So, out of ideas, I rent a car and then drive up to the office. I fix the problem and get back home for about 4PM. So, I've spent all day working on this issue in some shape or form. Today's a holiday, btw. So I ask for tomorrow off in lieu. I get a big fat nope.

Fuck this.

Sorry to hear that grift, horribly upsetting when higher ups treat their employees like garbage. I especially don't understand how they think treating said employee (who clearly goes above and beyond especially) like trash, is going to make them stick around.

Also, @gavindel Monument Valley is a great little puzzle game for the iphone, also Device 6.

Thing is that I had plans to spend time with my family on family day. But that's all gone because of this and I don't get to spend any extra time preparing for lodge tomorrow night because my boss can't deal with shit by himself.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I can't find flow control in opencanvas. this might be a problem because I do not like opacity shading

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    That sounds like a load of dicks Grif.

Re: Mobile games, you should check out 80 Days. It's got a really interesting approach to narrative, and it's easily one of the best games of last year.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    Dots is a cute little iOS/Android puzzle game that doesn't have a bunch of annoying junk in it

I like Desert Golfing too

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Having Ed Piskor as a teacher right now. Man, that guy is the coolest. Shit, whenever I interact with him he makes me feel cool, I can't describe it he's just fucking cool as shit. He wears cross colours!

• Options
    I've been following the for exposure twitter recently. Some bloody ridiculous shit people say when they are looking for an artist for free.

• Options
    it's so easy to be intimidated by the sheer amount of stuff there is to learn. like I haven't even begun color or how to paint

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    it's so easy to be intimidated by the sheer amount of stuff there is to learn. like I haven't even begun color or how to paint

@Jars: Neither did any of the classic French academic painters, for a long time- they all had to go through a period of 3+ years exclusively doing intensive drawing courses, before being apprenticed to a studio to learn about painting.

Maybe they found it frustrating at the time as well, but it's hard to argue with the results of taking the time to learn to be diligent about shape, value, and edge before throwing color into the mix. I mean, that Bouguereau fella ain't no slouch.

• Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    I've been following the for exposure twitter recently.
    I think you may have accidentally a word?

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Ollie wrote: »

No, there's a twitter account called For Exposure (I think it's forexposure_txt) which is full of all the kinds of stuff people say in order to try to hire artists for free.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    I dropped 1034 USD on the yiynova mvp22u v3 last night
    Nearly had panic attack level anxiety over spending too much of my money
    I am now telling my brain it is an investment and it is basically a Cintiq without the premium and shutupshutupshutupshutup

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm considering making the same purchase when I get my tax return.

• Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Definitely post your experience tam, that thing is on my "when i'm not broke as shit" radar as well.

kevindee on
  • Options
    Tam wrote: »
    I dropped 1034 USD on the yiynova mvp22u v3 last night
    Nearly had panic attack level anxiety over spending too much of my money
    I am now telling my brain it is an investment and it is basically a Cintiq without the premium and shutupshutupshutupshutup

It's cool, man! Buying things like that (and being okay with it) when you are used to be super frugal can take some practice. :)

I had a similar freak-out two years ago when I bought two IPS monitors and had to buy a new set of tires in the same month. And then again recently when I bought my Cintiq.

What I'm actually saying is that it never ends.

:rotate:

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    I do this too, I always tally stuff in my head throughout the month and freakout a little if it feels like excess. The exchange rate between cad and usd is so flipping brutal right now too.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've adopted an "I'm not going to think about it" approach to my bank balance for the last year.

• Options
    I'm going to be an old man by the time I get everything down

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Last time I looked at my chequing account I was super shocked to see that I was in the double digits.

Felt like goddamn Croesus.

• Options
    Ollie wrote: »

I probably should have just put @forexposure_txt twitter account to be more specific. It's basically a feed of things that people have actually posted when looking for a free artist.

• Options
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    This thread is super topical for me at the moment. Monument Valley is wonderful! I got a new job and I start tomorrow! I need a new tablet and I need to figure out which one to get! Nobody wants to pay for my freelance art!

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    That twitter feed is disheartening. And I think I'm just going to get a Intuos Pro medium size. I think that is the newest version of the model that I have right now. And it's somewhat affordable, which is nice.

• Options

I want to visit such terrible violence on some of these people

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    so i've only seen this painting in textbooks and stuff

anglig_10313766667.png?w=500&h=500

but apparently this is how it looks when you actually view it from an angle

16515_10103872496024402_7529259004538610568_n.jpg?oh=d8140699b7b4c6dfe1b48afa9254a810&oe=55511E7F&__gda__=1434514878_f0309d211b72977ea684db41ead0a1f3

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    I totally thought that was some bullshit Photoshop joke, but no, it's totally real. Dang.

• Options
    Anamorphic perspective! Check out this crazy fucking church ceiling by Andrea Pozzo as well:
    Andrea_Pozzo_-_Apoteose_de_Santo_Inacio.jpg

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2015
    RE: Skull painting:
    I know that looks super stupid head on and I know it's just an optical illusion and yes its very technically impressive and cool and history and context and symbolism but IT STILL JUST CREEPS MY ASS OUT. I'm not even superstitious or believe in ghosts or whatever, and I'm still like NOPE, DO NOT WANT.

Like I'm sure that painting is probably worth a couple million bucks...but if I were given it for free because I dunno, I had a mad uncle who lived in a castle grant it to me in his will, the first thing on my mind would be, 'how do I get rid of this thing as soon as humanly possible, because I sure as hell do not want it in my apartment.'

Also, that's the sort of thing you'd think the artist would try to hide as a secret thing, like hiding a skull pattern among the drapery or something, so you'd only pick up on it if you happened to glance on it from that one angle, giving you a jump scare. It's just extra bizarre that it's just floating out there in the open for no real rhyme or reason, connecting to nothing, and just being like "creepy inexplicable skull for no reason, deal with it."

I wonder what Mr.Holbein would think of the fact that his painting was still freaking people out 482 years after he painted it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    I think he would be disappointed that rather than being inspired to reconsider their life in the face of death, people are wondering how to humanely get his works out of their house.

• Options
    Magritte probably liked that one

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yo AC folk,

I've made a small subforum for us to dump resources in: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/art-assignments-and-resources

You'll notice that the Monthly Enrichments are now just Enrichment threads. You will now be able to continue contributing to them. I will also try to edit the OPs to be more instructional. You'll be able to point new members to particular enrichments when making crits, and use them as inspiration for getting back into your fundamentals.

You'll also notice Assignments. This is to have some fun, portfolio building activities going in a way that doesn't clutter up the main board. I dont think the AC is quite active enough to need a rotating CHOW like thing, so the goal is to make a bank of assignments that really give you guys ideas for expanding your shit.

Lastly, You'll see that you are allowed to just post resources that are cool that you find in their own threads, You can also make threads asking questions, if you desire. I will be creating masterposts as directories that link to other resources, so that going forward it is a place you can easily search for things like "anatomy books" or "what tablet should I buy"

Note:
    -For now the questions/tutorials thread will stay, but I would eventually like to phase it out, because information in them gets lost and is not easily searchable.
    -Christmas will stay in the main AC, and this also gives us sticky real estate for other, sillier activities

Also while it maybe my avatar all over the subforum, most of the information there has been accumulated for years by the other mods. So thank bombsy DMAC, Grifter, and AOB.

I encourage you to bookmark subforum, cause they are not very prominently linked from the main page.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Holy heckfire.

• Options
    GAHDAMN

• Options
    Iruka mentioned it, but I'd just like to reiterate- please post any sort of helpful resources you've come across in your internet travels, even if they may be slightly redundant. If you came across a post in a blog that was really helpful, but that blog on a whole has already been mentioned somewhere- post that post anyway. Think a book should be listed under one category, but it's already listed in another? Please add it. I'd rather have to deal with figuring out how to organize too much useful information in a manner that is helpful, than having having too little.

I know all y'all follow follow blogs and tumblrs and facebook pages with tons of helpful stuff, so please help us build this little thing into a great communal resource.

Also, if you think we missed something, or a have a suggestion on how to improve the usefulness/readability of the forum? Please post and let us know.

Also I really hope someone does some of those concept assignments, I don't want my pseudo art directing to go to waste. :P

• Options
    m3nace wrote: »
    I think he would be disappointed that rather than being inspired to reconsider their life in the face of death, people are wondering how to humanely get his works out of their house.

Well, I'm sorry, Hans Holbein the Younger, that a bullshit-ass creep-ass skull picture just isn't enough to make me turn my spiritual introspection knobs up to 11!

Hey Hans, I've got something that'll knock your hair back, it's a deep allegory about how each generation passes on their own conflicts and prejudices and bad decisions on to the next, it's called The Human Centipede!

Yeah well fuck you TOO, Hans!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Arguing with the ghosts of centuries-dead artists is how it started with Van Gogh.

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Iruka mentioned it, but I'd just like to reiterate- please post any sort of helpful resources you've come across in your internet travels, even if they may be slightly redundant. If you came across a post in a blog that was really helpful, but that blog on a whole has already been mentioned somewhere- post that post anyway. Think a book should be listed under one category, but it's already listed in another? Please add it. I'd rather have to deal with figuring out how to organize too much useful information in a manner that is helpful, than having having too little.

I know all y'all follow follow blogs and tumblrs and facebook pages with tons of helpful stuff, so please help us build this little thing into a great communal resource.

Also, if you think we missed something, or a have a suggestion on how to improve the usefulness/readability of the forum? Please post and let us know.

Also I really hope someone does some of those concept assignments, I don't want my pseudo art directing to go to waste. :P

That prompt and the card prompt a catching my eye something fierce. If I find time in the next week, I'm planning to start at least one of those.

• Options
    KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    I have a folder of tutorials I can unleash upon that board.

This discussion has been closed.