Options

The [Steam] cleared and from the City Skyline you can see Ori out in the forest.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    @Berylline hit me with a Steam key while my back was turned and I was hard at work. Sneaky bunny person!

Thanks for X-note! Mystery VN? Yep, that's relevant to my interests.

<3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I'm not even vaguely familiar with the property and it still sounds like something that the bigger corporations just need to let go of already. Then again, it's the hoarding mentality as applied to IP; "but I might need that some day".

Let me tell you about Rom Spaceknight
    Parker Brothers (the board game company) wanted to get into the lucrative action figure market, so they made a toy called Rom the Spaceknight. It was a piece of shit. Poor articulation, it looked terrible, and its touted electronic features weren't anything to write home about. All they had was a name, a design, and three accessories. There was no other toys in the line, so Rom basically had noone to fight.

To market the toy, Parker Bros went to Marvel and said "Hey, we'll liscense you the character and you can make a comic with him." Marvel proceeded to do just that, creating the characters backstory, mission, home planet, enemies and even what he looks like outside of his cyborg armor. Having created all that stuff, Marvel owns it. The only things they didn't own was the name and likeness. Marvel even intregrated Rom into thier main universe, so he rubbed elbows with the X-Men and the Avengers. He was a bonafied Marvel superhero.

Rom ran for 75 issues in the early 80's, finished his storyline and Marvel let the license expire. Fast forward to today and Marvel still uses Rom's home planet and his foes in the Marvel Universe, but they can't use Rom. They can't make new Rom comics or reprint the old ones. Parker Bros got puchased by Hasbro awhile back, and Hasbro has consistently renewed the trademark on Rom... and aside from a convetion collectible from last year, has not done a damn thing with it. At all. They make basically no money off the trademark, becuase there is no Rom merchandice, and they don't sell Rom merchandice because they don't own anything besides the name and likeness. And yet they won't sell the trademark to Marvel (who at this point, has a lot of people working there who group up reading Rom and would love to do something with the character.)

They're just willing it sit on it forever in the possibility it could be used for something later, rather than sell it and make money off of it now.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Clearly what needs to happen to these asinine companies is for Disney to buy them and then a few years later someone reminds them they have a bunch of classic games they could be making money off of with little to no effort on their part.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    heenato wrote: »
    So Xenoverse is basically unplayable while online for me. The servers are that goddamn bad.

Just block the game's .exe on your firewall. Should have the same effect as disconnecting your internet without actually losing your internet.
    @EvmaAlsar

This does nothing. it still attempts to connect to the server.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    @Berylline sent me a message which included a link relevant to my interests.

It was the Humble Mask Pack 2 for Payday 2!!! I didn't even know this existed.
    Lycanwolf and The One Below masks? Sign me up! Lycanwolf! IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!

I had known about the first pack that was offered with an E3 digital ticket, but passed it up.
    I even knew about the special Alienware Alpha owners masks.

No clue Humble Bundle had done a set. And included a werewolf nonetheless! So good, SO GOOD!!!

EDIT: Lycanwolf!!!

Mudzgut on
    steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's friday night. Is there also some gaming?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Woohoo, all numbed up and ready to have a crown replaced. The anesthesia is already a step up from when I got it in the first time and had none.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    They can't make new Rom comics or reprint the old ones.

They did produce a "Spaceknights" mini series about 15 years ago, using the parts they have the rights to. It's exactly as awkward as you'd expect a lore-heavy comic that's not legally allowed to refer to its own backstory to be.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

I don't know if anything was specifically suggested yet. I might be able to join in later but that's a big maybe. Was there anything you wanted to play?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular

I don't know if anything was specifically suggested yet. I might be able to join in later but that's a big maybe. Was there anything you wanted to play?

I'm sure there can be. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any game suggestions this week either. I'm guessing that's due to the last month plus of having a really low turn out shrinking the discussion of FNG. We've only just started our attempt to revitalize it and I didn't have time this week to push out many ideas other than watching over the poll I posted.

Like Ed said, is there something you wanted to play? I'd bring it up and see what the response is for this evening. Usually FNG starts around 9pm EST.
    Otherwise this may be a rather dead week and hopefully between the survey answers and some planning we can kick it up like it was in the beginning next Friday night.

The main issue I've seen most weeks is that a game may get suggested, but not enough people show or can get it on the short notice and we end up milling about and sometimes manage to choose a smaller player count game or dissolve into our own little worlds again. That's why I ran the poll to double check people's favorite times once more and plan on using that data to schedule FNG and games of choice more in advance.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options

no, I'm up for whatever

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Looks like the most recent attempt to get No One Lives Forever resurrected is dead for now.

I've never played it but I've seen it mentioned here with hallowed reverence so I've always been curious.

Damn It.

NOLF is so awesome. Just get it done!

I might track down a physical copy. No idea where my original is. Does it play nice on modern os?

They both run fine, you may just have to fiddle with installation and patching.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

no, I'm up for whatever

I'm usually up for anything too when I'm available. Feel fee to add me as a friend on steam.

Some useful tools for setting what multiplayer games you have in common with other people are steam gauge and http://steamcompanion.com/games/

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    also I just found out that borderless window games eliminate screen tearing without requiring vsync

no input lag, no screen tearing

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    also I just found out that borderless window games eliminate screen tearing without requiring vsync

Is that true for all games?

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options

Is that true for all games?

no, just games you can window.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Running borderless basically just forces games to sync to your monitor's refresh rate. It actually IS vsync, it's just that Windows forces triple buffering so it feels smoother. Triple Buffering can be a pain to force otherwise (control panels only force it in OpenGL games).

There's actually a few programs out there that can force almost every game into it if you're so inclined.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular

no, I'm up for whatever

I'm usually up for anything too when I'm available. Feel fee to add me as a friend on steam.

Some useful tools for setting what multiplayer games you have in common with other people are steam gauge and http://steamcompanion.com/games/

You know what we should do...Cards Against Humanity, dammit.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Grats @DHS Odium !
    signature.png

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Thanks @Jragghen for more Hexcells!

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Halfazedninja for Ibb and Obb!

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    @Shade sent me Besiege but you should all go gift him, besiege him with presents. @Halfazedninja also sent me a thing, Danmaku 2 unlimited!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Welp. Time to track down a(nother) physical copy of NOLF. I'd been waffling back and forth on doing that anyway, to be fair.

I can confirm through recent-ish personal experience that NOLF2 plays nice under Win7 64-bit, but it did take some fiddling and has problems with essential UI elements in widescreen, so it's best left in 4:3. I forget what I had to do to get it running right, but it wasn't horrendous and I'm sure it's still in an old Steam thread. I understand that NOLF works too, but that the original release's installer doesn't. So getting it installed is the biggest headache unless you track down a later budget re-release version.

In short, kudos to Night Dive for their sterling efforts; and a hearty fuck you, Warner.

(Giant middle finger emoticon goes here.)

• Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    Posting to remind myself that somewhere in the recent past a new Humble Bundle was mentioned (something about shmups?).

And also Life is Strange was $8.00 for the whole season?

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    And also Life is Strange was $8.00 for the whole season?

Wait, what? Where? The first episode is five bucks
    Who? Which? Why? When?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Newegg had Life is Strange for a big ol' discount a day or two back - seriously like seven bucks and change for the whole thing - but it looks like it's ended now. Spoiler: it's totally worth the piffling "full" price as it is.

Humble Weekly Bundle is a big pile of shmups.

• Options
    Ahh but its no longer a thing? I spent my steambux this month on Frozen Cortex and Infinifactory, so I that's fine. If that's the tone they're setting given that Chapter 2 isn't even released yet, it'll pay to be patient

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not even vaguely familiar with the property and it still sounds like something that the bigger corporations just need to let go of already. Then again, it's the hoarding mentality as applied to IP; "but I might need that some day".

Let me tell you about Rom Spaceknight
    Parker Brothers (the board game company) wanted to get into the lucrative action figure market, so they made a toy called Rom the Spaceknight. It was a piece of shit. Poor articulation, it looked terrible, and its touted electronic features weren't anything to write home about. All they had was a name, a design, and three accessories. There was no other toys in the line, so Rom basically had noone to fight.

To market the toy, Parker Bros went to Marvel and said "Hey, we'll liscense you the character and you can make a comic with him." Marvel proceeded to do just that, creating the characters backstory, mission, home planet, enemies and even what he looks like outside of his cyborg armor. Having created all that stuff, Marvel owns it. The only things they didn't own was the name and likeness. Marvel even intregrated Rom into thier main universe, so he rubbed elbows with the X-Men and the Avengers. He was a bonafied Marvel superhero.

Rom ran for 75 issues in the early 80's, finished his storyline and Marvel let the license expire. Fast forward to today and Marvel still uses Rom's home planet and his foes in the Marvel Universe, but they can't use Rom. They can't make new Rom comics or reprint the old ones. Parker Bros got puchased by Hasbro awhile back, and Hasbro has consistently renewed the trademark on Rom... and aside from a convetion collectible from last year, has not done a damn thing with it. At all. They make basically no money off the trademark, becuase there is no Rom merchandice, and they don't sell Rom merchandice because they don't own anything besides the name and likeness. And yet they won't sell the trademark to Marvel (who at this point, has a lot of people working there who group up reading Rom and would love to do something with the character.)

They're just willing it sit on it forever in the possibility it could be used for something later, rather than sell it and make money off of it now.

Shit like this just proves why we need a better copyright/trademark structure that allows more or less openness between Creative parties. Something Common, perhaps.

This kind of bullshit just hits every single one of my, "fuck the man" buttons I have.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Okay, I am a huge wuss. I can't stop being scared playing Gone Home.

I... I'm going to finish it tomorrow in daylight. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Dude I was the same way, expecting a jumpscare at every turn. I swear to you, there is not one jumpscare in the entire game. It's actually a really beautiful game. Got me a little choked up at the end.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Dude I was the same way, expecting a jumpscare at every turn. I swear to you, there is not one jumpscare in the entire game. It's actually a really beautiful game. Got me a little choked up at the end.

The flood of emotions I had at the end would have embarrassed any polite company in the room

Iolo, don't look
    There is that one jump scare in the hidden passageway from your parents room, where the lightbulb blows. That got me good

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    Thank you @Jragghen for Hexcells. We shall see how quickly this game series scores on the Start-to-Multiple F-Bombs scale (its akin to Start-to-Crate, but with me cursing instead of seeing a crate).

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I like how you can totally sequence break Gone Home.

• Options
    RIP my dignity. Got owned by Krillin in Xenoverse. Got trolled by game in Xenoverse...

got owned by Hercule in Xenoverse. RIP me.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    RIP my dignity. Got owned by Krillin in Xenoverse. Got trolled by game in Xenoverse...

Is it just a fighting game? I mean, I know to some folks that's all a game needs to be, but is it just a fighting game in the vein of like Street Fighter and Soul Calibur?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options

Is it just a fighting game? I mean, I know to some folks that's all a game needs to be, but is it just a fighting game in the vein of like Street Fighter and Soul Calibur?
    No, it's more a brawler.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Frozen Cortex is really fucking good. If you dug Frozen Synapse this is a fantastic follow up. Switching from tactical combat scenarios to robotic sportsball has allowed the system to retain a lot of the first game's rich tactical gameplay. All of that nuance from Synapse is present but the conflict is much more direct since stealth isn't part of the toolkit. That doesn't mean there isn't the wonderful potential for fake-outs and misdirection anymore. Since this is a sportsball game all of the intense tactical doctrine of Synapse is gone. The planning interface in Cortex is a far simpler affair. You won't have to deal with Line of Sight or the numerous posture and pace mechanics that gives Synapse it massive tactical depth. In Cortex it's all about getting that ball into the endzone, and this is accomplished by simple move and pass commands. You just tell your robodudes where you need them to be and they'll do what they can to pull it out. Interceptions, blocks, tackles and so on are all resolved based on the positioning of your roboplayers. The only other commands you need to worry about are the wait and pass commands, which allow you to create beautiful precision passes.

If you are sick of the Bloodbowl RNG this is something you should look into.

Drake on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Hooray finding two job opportunities in my field, boo both requiring ocver letters, and long ass web applications.

edit: I forgot to mention this but I have an extra copy of NOLF2.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Drake wrote: »
    Frozen Cortex is really fucking good. If you dug Frozen Synapse this is a fantastic follow up. Switching from tactical combat scenarios to robotic sportsball has allowed the system to retain a lot of the first game's rich tactical gameplay. All of that nuance from Synapse is present but the conflict is much more direct since stealth isn't part of the toolkit. That doesn't mean there isn't the wonderful potential for fake-outs and misdirection anymore. Since this is a sportsball game all of the intense tactical doctrine of Synapse is gone. The planning interface in Cortex is a far simpler affair. You won't have to deal with Line of Sight or the numerous posture and pace mechanics that gives Synapse it massive tactical depth. In Cortex it's all about getting that ball into the endzone, and this is accomplished by simple move and pass commands. You just tell your robodudes where you need them to be and they'll do what they can to pull it out. Interceptions, blocks, tackles and so on are all resolved based on the positioning of your roboplayers. The only other commands you need to worry about are the wait and pass commands, which allow you to create beautiful precision passes.

If you are sick of the Bloodbowl RNG this is something you should look into.

I had an incredibly gripping game a couple of days ago against a team that was slightly better than mine. While the below match is only 20 seconds long in real time, I think it took about an hour or so all up with planning. A bloody good match that I wish was just one turn longer!! I'm the yellow/green team at the top of the screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCwKYcGGuJU

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhETal-MKtU&amp;feature=youtu.be

That's a shutout I pulled off in the Knockout League. It's the first shutout I've managed against the AI. It's really pretty good at playing the game, and cleans my clock on a decently regular basis. Like your match that's only a minute of "game time" but I spent probably an hour in the planning and testing.

This discussion has been closed.