Options

US Congress: John Boehner STILL Can't Count (But Nancy Pelosi Is A Boss)

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    It sounds more to me like he's spinning it as Congress playing Bad Cop to Obama's/Kerry's Good Cop.

Instead of, you know, the GoP undercutting the United State's integrity in international negotiations in an attempt to score points with their base.

Plus, he's always had an obstructionist Congress to deal with. They've always been Bad Cop since 2008, even to America.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    It sounds more to me like he's spinning it as Congress playing Bad Cop to Obama's/Kerry's Good Cop.

Instead of, you know, the GoP undercutting the United State's integrity in international negotiations in an attempt to score points with their base.

Plus, he's always had an obstructionist Congress to deal with. They've always been Bad Cop since 2008, even to America.

Which, to be more fair than Paul deserves that isn't a completely ridiculous idea. I mean, unnecessary since they have been doing that since Obama was elected, but if you squint a little it's not the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Of course, were it true you kinda undermine the whole thing by saying 'nah, we don't mean it - we're just playing good cop / bad cop'.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Opposition Party isn't the same thing as Obstruction Party, though.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    zakkiel wrote: »
    You know I think I'd be alright with them increasing defense spending, if the military had to make up for all the things we're having to slash to do it. So military engineers can fix all of our roads and bridges and dams and do all the inspections, and military bureaucrats will be responsible for sending out foodstamps and handling all of the unemployment stuff, and they can take over for the IRS. And best of all, if you fail to pay your taxes, they can send an APC full of auditors over to your house to figure out why!

The Corps of Engineers already does most of our waterway management, but trust me: you do NOT want the DoD replacing the IRS. Every year at tax time, while most people are gritting their teeth about the IRS, I am singing their praises in my heart because I know what DFAS - and worse, corps-level finance offices - are like. The civilian branches of our federal government are a paradise of smooth efficiency compared to the military.

Theres been more than one story, too, of certain branches just going out and buying shittons of useless, expensive shit they don't need or want and putting it in a warehouse because if they don't use the money they wont get it next year.

Imagine the military running the national budget, ending up with a surplus, and going out and buying Latvia for no reason other than they have the money and must use it.

The need to spend in one budget year or lose it the next is the source of a lot of sins in government spending at all levels. It's born out of the conservative horror that the government is saving money - which means they are taxing too much. So, governments spend that last month before summer buying everyone ergonomic chairs and laptops because that money's got to be all gone before the new fiscal year rolls around.

Republicans: Unintentionally stimulating the economy.

Heffling on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So Doc Fix details:

1) Doc Fix made permanent. Yay!
    2) CHIP extended for two years (would run out on 10/1 with no action). Yay!
    3) Some means testing introduced to Medicare. Individuals making 133k, families making 260k. Not sure if that's currently or in their working careers, someone with a better knowledge of Medicare law could maybe help.
    4) Gradual reduction of "Medigap" payments. Not great, but not as catastrophic as you'd expect from this Congress.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So Doc Fix details:

3) Some means testing introduced to Medicare. Individuals making 133k, families making 260k. Not sure if that's currently or in their working careers, someone with a better knowledge of Medicare law could maybe help.
    4) Gradual reduction of "Medigap" payments. Not great, but not as catastrophic as you'd expect from this Congress.

So what's the catch? keystone, anti abortion? Scrapping welfare?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Conspiracy theory: Any increase in deficit/debt will be pinned on Obama.

Though they've been fairly quiet about the deficit after the economy picked up and it's shrunk down a bunch.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So Doc Fix details:

So what's the catch? keystone, anti abortion? Scrapping welfare?

Let's hope the Democrats read the entirety of this one so we can find out.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure they will. I can only assume if there isn't a poison pill yet there will be several when it hits the senate.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    AngelHedgie was warned for this.
    House Judiciary Committee releases GIF-laden, fact free whine on immigration.

...you have got to be shitting me.

Edit: There is only one appropriate response:

Jacobkosh on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Boehner already did a .gif heavy thing. Because this is how you steal them young peoples that don't typically vote for them, with the wacky things on this newfangled internets.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Those are all REALLY low quality, too

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Conspiracy theory: Any increase in deficit/debt will be pinned on Obama.

Though they've been fairly quiet about the deficit after the economy picked up and it's shrunk down a bunch.

Imagine.

(Surely, making it so the rich don't have to pay any taxes whatsoever will only stimulate/reduce it further!)

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I wonder if tumblr politicians will get me to move.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Lovely was warned for this.

Like. My first response is "who hired the 13 year old?" But then, a closer look, and most of those gif's hardly have anything to do with any of the words on that page. Like, even the implied emotion/reaction with each sentence. It's like some hideous alien from another planet trying to mimic earth's thirteen year olds made that.

Or just an old man I guess. "Am I hip now youngsters? Am I ....'Totally ballin'' as the 'hip cats' like to say? Ooh, how I do love the youths! "

Jacobkosh on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015

We need to listen to our military and give them what they need.

Except this. This is waste.

Jacobkosh on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Buttcleft was warned for this.

I would say I don't want to live on this planet anymore and post the corresponding .gif, but the situation is so dire that I cant do much more but silently weep and wait for the end to come and free me.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I wonder if it means anything that they're nearly all of women.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

"Look at the pretty ladies and stop thinking about what we're saying."

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Works for Fox News.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

"Look at the pretty ladies and stop thinking about what we're saying."

Also, all white.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    In which Gohmert waves the Team Stupid AND Team Evil flags proud and high.

It's like he's trying to get 'Republicans!' to replace 'Aristocrats!' One only imagine what kind of echo chamber you have to lock yourself into to be able to hold views that even the merest brush with reality would completely destroy.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    In which Gohmert waves the Team Stupid AND Team Evil flags proud and high.

It's like he's trying to get 'Republicans!' to replace 'Aristocrats!' One only imagine what kind of echo chamber you have to lock yourself into to be able to hold views that even the merest brush with reality would completely destroy.

I still love Pierce's title for him: Padishah Emperor For Life of the Crazy People.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    TL DR was warned for this.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry or pray

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    jesus fucking christ

• Options
    So how quickly until the majority of the women in those gifs will request they be taken down? I'm going to guess its already happened even Ariel.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    ahahahahahahhahhahahahahhhhh

oh god I laughed so hard I cried

and then once the laughing cries subsided, they were replaced by real sobs of sort of sadness tinged with a bit of terror for this country.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Well at least Geth takes joy in this shit show, that is the current US Congress . . .

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    ahahahahahahhahhahahahahhhhh

oh god I laughed so hard I cried

and then once the laughing cries subsided, they were replaced by real sobs of sort of sadness tinged with a bit of terror for this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzBN4QHc2D4

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Mrs. Peacock was a man?!

• Options
    How do you vote for someone like Gohmert? Like seriously. How can there be more people that think "Yes, let's send this poor, confused, mentally deficient man to represent us." than not.

I don't think I've ever heard him say anything that wasn't tinfoil hat dodo bonkers.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    How do you vote for someone like Gohmert? Like seriously. How can there be more people that think "Yes, let's send this poor, confused, mentally deficient man to represent us." than not.

I don't think I've ever heard him say anything that wasn't tinfoil hat dodo bonkers.

American voters are amazingly, mind boggling stupid.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Guys, when Hedgie says "there is only one appropriate response," I would, uh

I would get a second opinion

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Awww, you got me in trouble Hedgie ;_; .

I suppose we all learned a valuable lesson from the judiciary committee this day. Low quality gifs are the way to go! ;)

sig.gif
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Guys, when Hedgie says "there is only one appropriate response," I would, uh

I would get a second opinion

Is not Madeline Kahn always an appropriate response?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I know, I lament this often. But in his case, he is just so obviously mentally disturbed that I'm having a hard time accepting that so many people in Texas are that stupid. The only other person I can think of off the top of my head that's as equally gullible when it comes to crackpot conspiracies is Michelle Bachmann and even then between the two of them I think Gohmert comes out ahead.

I keep thinking "If I was a Republican in Texas, I would be infuriated that the party sent an imbecile like that to Congress" but then I have to remind myself that when I think to myself "If I was Republican" that assumes that as a Republican I want to first and formost attempt to act in good faith for the country.

Viskod on
  • Options

I know, I lament this often. But in his case, he is just so obviously mentally disturbed that I'm having a hard time accepting that so many people in Texas are that stupid. The only other person I can think of off the top of my head that's as equally gullible when it comes to crackpot conspiracies is Michelle Bachmann and even then between the two of them I think Gohmert comes out ahead.

I keep thinking "If I was a Republican in Texas, I would be infuriated that the party sent an imbecile like that to Congress" but then I have to remind myself that when I think to myself "If I was Republican" that assumes that as a Republican I want to first and formost attempt to act in good faith for the country.

If you were a republican in Texas, you wouldn't even think about voting for the democrat. This is Texas 1. If you notice anything, it should be that after redistricting, TX-1 went from solid blue to solid red.

There is no mystery here. They'd elect anybody with the R after the name. No matter how unstable they might be.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

The kinds of people who vote in GOP primaries in Texas love reps like Gohmert - the nuttier the better! And it's gone ~70% for GOP candidates in the last 4 presidential elections, so it's not like some Dem is going to win there.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.