Options

[Movies]: All Australia jokes, all the time

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah by then he was already dying in movies. They just decided living a cowards life was better.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Finally finished Last Action Hero. That was a whole heck of a lot of fun. The ending felt a little. . .lackluster but overall it was really refreshing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Fight Club when I watched it in HighSchool was a very different movie than when I watched it as an adult. I'm going out on a limb and saying this is probably true for a lot of people that saw it originally in HighSchool/College. Not sure it's fair to judge people so negatively for a movie that can have a different take away based on your current place/stage in life.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Watching Ronin right now.

Just a fascinating work in a lot of ways. The deliberate, low-key professionalism of the crew is still something that's rare in movies. Maybe Heat, The Score, and Heist are ones that come close. The way Sean Bean is paid for his time and dismissed from the crew for his bravado and inexperience, when a lesser movie would've killed him. The civilian casualties during the operation and the collateral damage during the car chases when other movies have everything take place in a kind of pocket universe without bystanders or crossfire.

So. Damned. Cool.

Wait. Sean Bean isn't killed?

He dies in the boathouse at hereford.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Little known fact: Edge of Tomorrow was originally an in-joke about Sean Bean's movie career.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Wash wrote: »

Just a fascinating work in a lot of ways. The deliberate, low-key professionalism of the crew is still something that's rare in movies. Maybe Heat, The Score, and Heist are ones that come close. The way Sean Bean is paid for his time and dismissed from the crew for his bravado and inexperience, when a lesser movie would've killed him. The civilian casualties during the operation and the collateral damage during the car chases when other movies have everything take place in a kind of pocket universe without bystanders or crossfire.

So. Damned. Cool.

He dies in the boathouse at hereford.

But what color is it?

Funny enough as I recall because it got asked, I don't believe there is a boat house at hereford.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    southwick wrote: »
    Fight Club when I watched it in HighSchool was a very different movie than when I watched it as an adult. I'm going out on a limb and saying this is probably true for a lot of people that saw it originally in HighSchool/College. Not sure it's fair to judge people so negatively for a movie that can have a different take away based on your current place/stage in life.

I don't think people who walk away with a pro-Durden stance are bad people. I do think they're stupid, in the specific manner that every single person goes through as they grow up. I was stupid once, you were probably stupid once... It's just a phase people go through. It's this reactionary anti-authority zeal, this desire to burn it all down with little idea of what, exactly, is getting burned, or what, exactly, is going to replace it. Those who don't go through that kind of stupidity supplant it with another kind. No big, just... nobody should really take them seriously. Including themselves.

If you want to swap out the word "stupid" with something else, that's cool, but that's what I'm getting at.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    southwick wrote: »

I don't think people who walk away with a pro-Durden stance are bad people. I do think they're stupid, in the specific manner that every single person goes through as they grow up. I was stupid once, you were probably stupid once... It's just a phase people go through. It's this reactionary anti-authority zeal, this desire to burn it all down with little idea of what, exactly, is getting burned, or what, exactly, is going to replace it. Those who don't go through that kind of stupidity supplant it with another kind. No big, just... nobody should really take them seriously. Including themselves.

If you want to swap out the word "stupid" with something else, that's cool, but that's what I'm getting at.

For like two weeks in College I thought Atlas Shrugged was the greatest thing ever.

"You're super special, and anyone who doesn't acknowledge that deserves to burn." Is a very seductive message.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Interestingly while I did watch Fight Club for the first time in Highschool, I didn't come away from the movie agreeing with Durden.

Like, I started off being totally in to the films message but by the end I was basically upset because the whole thing had gone crazy and sour and I wanted them to still be cool and wise and they just seemed nuts instead.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Eh, the film wasn't wrong to criticize shallow consumerism.

The response to it, however, was ridiculous and not intended to be serious at all.

• Options
    Yeah it highlights we have become a nation of consumers. To me the message of the film isn't destroy everything its more about making personal connections with people in your life. Don't be a jack who only has value in things he buys, and don't be a Durden who only has value in the things he destroys, be a person a mixture of both.

Its where the movie gets a better ending than the book, because in the movie jack makes the connection with marla, and then blows up the credit card companies because fuck it somethings got to be a little fun...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Fight club takes a certain self destructive philosophy that everyone had but nobody talks about to its logical conclusion

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Just watched Three Days of the Condor.

The plot if hilarious given recent history, in the darkest, blackest, most awful way possible.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones was on TV last night. It ended with the doctor finding the real killers, bad guys subdued, conspiracy stopped; I wondered if he'd still face jail time because even if he didn't kill his wife, he did escape custody and lead authorities on a big chase all across the state.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones was on TV last night. It ended with the doctor finding the real killers, bad guys subdued, conspiracy stopped; I wondered if he'd still face jail time because even if he didn't kill his wife, he did escape custody and lead authorities on a big chase all across the state.

They'd probably let that go with time served, though I recall the original story is based on a realish guy who ended up being a pro wrestler after he lost his medical license.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fugitive-doctor-accuses-devlin-macgregor-of-fraud,30795/

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »

So. Damned. Cool.

Movie was released in like 1998/1999 or so. It was before he found his niche.

We were almost RASPBERRY JAM!

God I love that bit.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

The response to it, however, was ridiculous and not intended to be serious at all.

Yes.

The line "I haven't been fucked like that since grade school" still makes me laugh.

The movie is a criticism of peoples stupid responses to things. Its kind of funny because its a really good snapshot of the frustration of the pre 9/11 days in America. I think if anyone wasn't around for those days (at least old enough to really asses the culture) then they should watch Fight Club and American Beauty as a culture study.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    I just watched The Rover.

I think there are directors that understand how and when to hold on a shot and let a moment hang or breathe, and there are some who just do it because it seems meaningful or dramatic in and of itself. I wouldn't have taken this guy for one of those - the director, David Michod, also directed Animal Kingdom, which was pretty great - but there are so many scenes where it's just Guy Pearce staring at nothing, intensely. Or Robert Pattinson fidgeting. (Pattinson's southern accent is occasionally unintelligible, and while his character is supposed to be sympathetic, all the twitching and garbled speech just makes you want him to go away.)

There just isn't enough going on under the surface for an audience to project meaning into the still, quiet moments of the movie in which we're treated to Pearce's disapproving glare.

I quite liked those aspects of the movie.

Right from the first couple of minutes, knowing nothing about the setting of the movie, you immediately get that something is wrong with this place, and these people.

You never really get comfortable with the movie, and it just really sold me on the premise. The whole thing felt so hopeless, and people just going through the motions.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Yes.

The line "I haven't been fucked like that since grade school" still makes me laugh.

The movie is a criticism of peoples stupid responses to things. Its kind of funny because its a really good snapshot of the frustration of the pre 9/11 days in America. I think if anyone wasn't around for those days (at least old enough to really asses the culture) then they should watch Fight Club and American Beauty as a culture study.

That part is on the money. The 90s was the only decade in the last 100 years where idea of a major war was completely absent. Where the monotony of working in one job for your entire career was considered soul-crushing.

Where the future was like San Angeles from the Demolition Man. All tofu and political correct speech.

Its hilarious in hindsight, but it only goes to show that people can fuck up anything.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015

Yes, but consider that he was facing the death penalty if he did nothing.

Even if he gets thrown back in for 5 or 10 years for all of that shit? Worth it.

And that's just practical considerations. The world knows he didn't kill his wife now.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Yes.

That part is on the money. The 90s was the only decade in the last 100 years where idea of a major war was completely absent. Where the monotony of working in one job for your entire career was considered soul-crushing.

Where the future was like San Angeles from the Demolition Man. All tofu and political correct speech.

Its hilarious in hindsight, but it only goes to show that people can fuck up anything.

People like to think of the 1990's as the golden era in America... and in many ways it really was. Things were BOOMING, economically, but a lot of people were suffering from a lack of purpose. The generations before us all had these great and noble causes (WWII, Cold War) or huge fiascos where people joined up and fought the government (Civil rights, Vietnam, Red Scare). If you'll notice in the movies, it's either America itself or some unknown thing from the future/outer space that is the enemy. A lot of films talked about how pussified the American male had become.

It was an odd time. People were desperately seeking an adversary, a sort of grand purpose to anything, because all of the real challenges were fairly terrible and only a glimpse of what we'd face in the coming years (Unibomber, OKC bombing, WTC garage bombing) and the movies from the late 1990's really played this up.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Yes.

I don't know about you but my dad spent quite a bit of time in the middle east hoping not to die 1990-1991.
    Just because it was a quick war it was still a war and it still had impact on those of us it touched.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Interesting. I see the 90's as a turning point to finally put the kibosh on some things following the collapse of communism, and before China became such a powerhouse, but as the torch was being passed to the next generation and they simply didn't want to pick it up because why won't you accept me not going to Harvard I want to go to Tap School!

A lot of stuff that happened in the '00s and even now is the result of people in the 90's looking the other way to focus on themselves, because they were narcissists and didn't want to give up some of their time to truly make things better. So instead they tried the stupid 60's hippie revival and refusing to grow up into "the man," man. And on top of that the cynicism cut deep along with that revival, ruining things.

God, just thinking of all the hippie retro movies in the 90's and their modern counterpoints, the only one that really stuck was Dazed & Confused. Benny & Joon, grah, no dice.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    So in another episode of "our parents let us watch some fucked up shit back when we were little in the 80's/90's" (previous episodes include Full Metal Jacket as an 8 year old):

Jacob's Ladder!

I'm watching it on HBO Go this evening, I had completely repressed forgotten the opening Vietnam scene which features arms and legs dangling at weird angles, held in place by bits of skin & clothing. As someone who has had my leg bent in a place where there isn't a joint (and I'm pretty sure that injury happened before I saw Jacob's Ladder), that's some pretty freaking traumatic imagery.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So Triangle was a good flick. It's not quite a horror movie, but it's a solid premise done reasonably well with some really effective shots.

Mostly
    I was impressed with how they got the point across about how vast the time loop was. It was definitely interesting.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Interesting. I see the 90's as a turning point to finally put the kibosh on some things following the collapse of communism, and before China became such a powerhouse, but as the torch was being passed to the next generation and they simply didn't want to pick it up because why won't you accept me not going to Harvard I want to go to Tap School!

A lot of stuff that happened in the '00s and even now is the result of people in the 90's looking the other way to focus on themselves, because they were narcissists and didn't want to give up some of their time to truly make things better. So instead they tried the stupid 60's hippie revival and refusing to grow up into "the man," man. And on top of that the cynicism cut deep along with that revival, ruining things.

God, just thinking of all the hippie retro movies in the 90's and their modern counterpoints, the only one that really stuck was Dazed & Confused. Benny & Joon, grah, no dice.

I think the 90s obsession with disaster movies was another result of this. Nature was an easy bogeyman when the commies weren't viable anymore.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching interstellar. I quite liked it, although my girlfriend really hated it.

The bad: the audio is really poor. I didn't go to the cinema to see it because of how badly mixed it was and that was the right choice. I know Christopher Nolan said he made the speech hard to hear on purpose, but that was a poor choice
    The end missed the obvious satisfying conclusion and decided to spin out nothing for ten minutes in a way that sort of undermines things
    Rust sacrifices himself into the black hole, becomes Murphy's ghost and should have stayed there, trapped in a world without time. Cut to bad scientist sitting by her dead boyfriend's grave as the first colony landings start. The end.

The good: The robots. It was a real joy to have some 80's sci fi robots in an otherwise quite serious setting
    The people. Astronauts are people too and everybody ends up doing everything they can to live for a few more years/days/hours

I'd keep banging on but I'm on my phone.

I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it for the most part. The audio was a bit of a pain, but being able to rewind allowed me to work with it.

I think that the movie stayed so small scale is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. I loved that there were very few wide shots of anything having to do with technology or space action. Nice and intimate. There were also no shots that didn't involve the characters in some way--this is not Roland Emmerich. We get to see how bad Earth is by experiencing the fallout with the characters, not by watching the Washington Monument covered in dirt.

But at the same time, it undermined the science part of the sci-fi for me, and took away the grandness. The end of the world, of human life, and all we get are a half dozen characters (some of whom are barely sketches, like the son). It then makes the plot annoyingly hammy and self-centred, like a mediocre short story. Except at least then the focus would have been on the ideas, where in Interstellar those were pretty much background.

It leaned too heavily on the human element, but there wasn't enough there to hold things up by the end.

Plus, I'm just generally tired of that sort of looping plot. I had watched Predestination the night before, and that was more than enough.

The robots were great.

But it doesn't stay small scale. It just stays small scale on Earth because all Earth is really there for is to motivate the characters. And because Earth being small and not worth it is part of the point of the movie.

The rest of the film is full of huge wide sci-fi porn shots to show off grandness and the insignificance of the crew in relation to the universe.

There are some large establishing shots, but for the most part the action is very on the small scale side. Taking off, landing, travelling, docking, all that stuff is shown from "ship-mounted" cameras, or from inside the cockpit, with the characters right there in the shot. One sequence of space travel (might be the first planet landing?) doesn't have a single shot that isn't from inside the ship itself, just showing glimpses through the cockpit windows. There were few times when, during action of any kind, the camera panned out, and even then it was still showing the characters. The one that I can remember was very deliberate and quite short.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The movie covers decades and takes us to the farthest reaches of space. Complaining that Interstellar is small scale is ridiculous.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    After everyone mentioned Heat and Ronin I was trying to think of other similar films. I just took a quick glance at the ol netflix and forgot about what I felt was a pretty darn good movie.

Killing Them Softly. I may need to rewatch before I can say much more about it but I recall being very impressed by the subtlety of the crime. Does the thread have any opinion?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    After everyone mentioned Heat and Ronin I was trying to think of other similar films. I just took a quick glance at the ol netflix and forgot about what I felt was a pretty darn good movie.

Killing Them Softly. I may need to rewatch before I can say much more about it but I recall being very impressed by the subtlety of the crime. Does the thread have any opinion?

Was writing a review on this I forgot to post.

Well shot, well acted, but didactic at the expense of being an interesting story.

That last scene though... damn.

shryke on
  • Options
    Killing Them Softly is more like an art film dressed up as a gangster flick.

It's been a long time since I saw it, but I remember liking David Mamet's "Heist".

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Heist is enjoyable, better than De Niro's Score (they came out around the same time) Hackman is on top of his game and Mamet's script is tight. I still use his line about making a plan for something you don't want to do just in case. Plus you get the nice twisty turny double crossy ending.

Another in the vein of heat and Ronin is Spartan (though Mamet wrote that as well as Ronin so you know its a similar movie) solid film with Val Kilmer and the Mamet acting club including Ed O'neil.

I will forever be sad that Mamet went fucking Dennis Miller late in life.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Was writing a review on this I forgot to post.

Well shot, well acted, but didactic at the expense of being an interesting story.

That last scene though... damn.

Its hard to say I enjoyed killing them softly when it was a movie about the uglyness of crime (seriously the beating scene is very hard to watch and most of the murders are just vicious, but at the same time completely detached as the killer is from each person he kills).

I do love the end scene if only as a highlight of how not traditional of the hitman movie vein it was.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Honestly, it feels like there just aren't a lot of really great heist movies. It's a very specific and recognizable form, but too few movies really transcend it. Or even really fulfill it in that super competent way. (Ronin, for instance, can only sustain things for about half the running time.) There's very little in cinema to match, like, the Parker novels--that really hardboiled feel.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

I think the 90s obsession with disaster movies was another result of this. Nature was an easy bogeyman when the commies weren't viable anymore.

I assumed it was because CGI was born in that decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhtdD4hHboU

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Nah, the 80s were actually when computer graphics in films began to become more mainstream. It wasn't until the 90s that they became so ubiquitous that it appeared to have completely overtaken practical effects.

• Options
    Lots of movies with green screen and puppet effects in the 80s but I thought CGI effects were rare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOsxXi-tu_U

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Looking into it, it wasn't until like 88 or 89 that they became truly mainstream so I'll retract my earlier argument.

This discussion has been closed.