As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News Gone Right -- Move along to version 2.0

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    How would saying the pledge in arabic offend you if you lost family in Afghanistan or if you were Jewish? Especially if they were saying it in a variety of languages. God damn america.

Because racism is okay as long as someone of that race did something bad once.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    How would saying the pledge in arabic offend you if you lost family in Afghanistan or if you were Jewish? Especially if they were saying it in a variety of languages. God damn america.

Well thank god no white person every did anything bad, then.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah thats why I wouldn't have apologized at all. I would have taken the complainers aside and taught them what they are complaining about is wrong and racist.

Like I'm sure if they had someone say the pledge in hebrew the arabic kids wouldn't have complained.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Well thank god no white person every did anything bad, then.
    Oddly enough, it doesn't sound like the Jewish families objected to the German version (unless I missed something), so yeah I'm going to go with bigotry.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, I was wondering which district this fail occured in, and I was actually a bit surprised that it was Pine Bush, the Dixie of the Mid-Hudson. (I was expecting it to be Monroe-Woodbury, myself.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So, I was wondering which district this fail occured in, and I was actually a bit surprised that it was Pine Bush, the Dixie of the Mid-Hudson. (I was expecting it to be Monroe-Woodbury, myself.)
    Yeah, me too. Nothing good came out of Woodbury. Damn Governor.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This happened earlier in the month, but pretty funny. Failed automotive smash n grab

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Continuing on the theme of people being jerks about what language people speak, a New York school is issuing an apology after a student lead the Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic.

They had organized an event, to have the pledge in a different language every day, in order to try and teach students that "What makes you American is not the language you speak, but the ideas you believe in."

That unfortunately backfired.
    Complaints were received from people who lost family in Afghanistan and from Jewish parents, an official said.

The best part of the article, however, is the final sentence, which I can just imagine the BBC editor had the smuggest grin ever on their face as they wrote it.
    Arabic is not widely spoken in Afghanistan, where the major languages are Dari and Pashto.

A textbook example of people the lesson was tailored for missing it entirely because they needed it so bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    This doesn't exactly fit with the bad news segment, but it was on the news show and I laughed:
    https://youtu.be/mMlv4yxqlvU

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    That guy's beard is... it's orange, right? I'm not just seeing shit?

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuap4wIGSLg

Taco Bell serves up some Soviet McDonald's dystopian nightmare food.

• Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    This doesn't exactly fit with the bad news segment, but it was on the news show and I laughed:

Well he couldn't get the fish filet he wanted. Sounds like bad news to me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    This one remains my favorite. Other than the moon being a star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXuc7SAyk2s

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I just have to throw this up then as well. This guy still has his job and I don't know how he got away with this:

https://youtu.be/LiILTMIOU_g

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

That is probably the most awesome fast food commercial I've ever seen.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    That guy's beard is... it's orange, right? I'm not just seeing shit?
    I wasn'y expecting to see local news in this thread...

It was a Baltimore Orioles thing.

• Options
    His beard is actually black and white...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Green on St. Paddy's Day.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

So that's how Taco Bell wins the Franchise War.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

So that's how Taco Bell wins the Franchise War.

Until Pizza Hut invents Time Travel and rewrites history the future

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    GenCon to Indiana: Bigotry or one of the largest gaming conventions in the world - pick one.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Wisconsin would welcome them back, but I don't think they'd like our politics too much either

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Holy shit this is a cringe-worthy interview:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/03/18/member-of-penn-states-kappa-delta-rho-defends-fraternity/

The guy really should have an attorney tell him to shut up, he's not helping their case. It's sad this kid thought an outside audience would be sympathetic if only "their side" could be heard. Reminds me of another clueless movement, Garblegate or something?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

KDR member: It's a hard question to answer. I think people should be responsible for themselves, and, I mean, I obviously had nothing to do with any of these postings, but … just think, is it smart to post this on social media? Is this ethical in regards to the people who it involves? But this is not a criminal thing. It's not anyone else's business, pretty much. It's an inter-fraternity thing and that's that.
    Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/03/18/member-of-penn-states-kappa-delta-rho-defends-fraternity/#B1xza19mjMSaJZHy.99

Yeah drug dealing, photography without someones permission, this is totally an intra fraternity thing and shouldn't be covered by the media... Fuck sake I bet this asshole probably complains people don't take personal responsibility for things.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Holy shit this is a cringe-worthy interview:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/03/18/member-of-penn-states-kappa-delta-rho-defends-fraternity/

The guy really should have an attorney tell him to shut up, he's not helping their case. It's sad this kid thought an outside audience would be sympathetic if only "their side" could be heard. Reminds me of another clueless movement, Garblegate or something?
    Quick, who can I pay to make it possible to strangle someone via the Internet?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Philly Mag: Are you scared at all?

KDR member: Scared of what?

Philly Mag: Possible charges, what this might do to your reputation.

KDR member: No, because I had nothing to do with it.

Philly Mag: Are you scared for your fraternity brothers?

KDR member: Yeah, I mean … scared is the wrong word. I hope nobody gets in trouble because nobody did anything worth getting in trouble over.

Worst part is that no matter what happens, this kid and his ilk wont learn a thing other than not putting shit like this on the internet. They can't conceive of the notion that someone's privacy may supersede their right to share.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Scientists figure out a way to cook rice that dramatically reduces the calories

First World Science: figuring out how to take the food out of food :hydra:

• Options
    rice has calories?

• Options
    It's a staple starch for a huge chunk of the world.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It's one of the better sources of them, stores well, easily prepared. There's a reason Asia has eaten rice pretty much forever
    Potatoes, for instance, go from having the right kind of starch to the less healthful kind when they are cooked or mashed (sigh, I know). The process of heating and cooling certain vegetables, like peas and sweet potatoes, can also alter the amount of resistant (see: good) starches, according to a 2009 study.

/facepalm JUST EAT LESS

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Yeah, isn't rice eaten by many in developing countries because it has all that goodness packed up in a convenient housing?

Yet we figure out ways to make it less so.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Yeah, isn't rice eaten by many in developing countries because it has all that goodness packed up in a convenient housing?

And more so: see Golden Rice

edit- not that that doesn't stop idiots from opposing it

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

KDR member: It's a hard question to answer. I think people should be responsible for themselves, and, I mean, I obviously had nothing to do with any of these postings, but … just think, is it smart to post this on social media? Is this ethical in regards to the people who it involves? But this is not a criminal thing. It's not anyone else's business, pretty much. It's an inter-fraternity thing and that's that.
    Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/03/18/member-of-penn-states-kappa-delta-rho-defends-fraternity/#B1xza19mjMSaJZHy.99

Yeah drug dealing, photography without someones permission, this is totally an intra fraternity thing and shouldn't be covered by the media... Fuck sake I bet this asshole probably complains people don't take personal responsibility for things.

Holy shit.

This guy actually thinks that "everybody does this".

Bro, only the predators do this. You and your homies are sexual predators. You belong on a list.

• Options

Holy shit.

This guy actually thinks that "everybody does this".

Bro, only the predators do this. You and your homies are sexual predators. You belong on a list.

It reminds me of a greg and lou skit about break ups where one guy is clearly fucking insane and goes over this list of things he swears his buddy is going to do.

https://youtu.be/dCB7QJF9-mE

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

There are valid, reasonable arguments against GM crops. Not that many people who are Anti-GM actually use them when they can just scream GENETIC MODIFICATION and PLAYING GOD.

I have a feeling that this person might be one of the later considering your post.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

There are valid, reasonable arguments against GM crops. Not that many people who are Anti-GM actually use them when they can just scream GENETIC MODIFICATION and PLAYING GOD.

I have a feeling that this person might be one of the later considering your post.

GM is a tool. Sometimes it's used for evil (see: Monsanto). Other times, like with golden rice, it has the potential to do a lot of good for a lot of people.

• Options
    I'm just waiting for the day they unleash some kind of dangerous jurassic wheat germ on us so I can hook up with Laura Dern...

Fuck you guys my fantasy my rules!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular

Considering that the person in question got a Ph.D. in "the philosophy of science specializing in quantum mechanics" your feelings would be right!

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Calica wrote: »

GM is a tool. Sometimes it's used for evil (see: Monsanto). Other times, like with golden rice, it has the potential to do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Monsanto isn't even in ballpark of evil that people associate them with. They are actually pretty close to Nuclear Power in the way they became a radical Left wing boogeyman.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Eh didn't mosanto seed crops of competitors fields with their specific GMO brand crop and then sue those people for "stealing" them? They've done some bad shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.