Options

[PSN] 22 Sep - SOMA | Afro Samurai 2 | FIFA

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    One thing I and a few others occasionally run into is that disks will sometimes randomly eject, even in the middle of a game. Mine hasn't done it in a while, but it will do it a bunch in the span of an hour sometimes that I give up.

I've never seen that before, super bizarre.

Have you cleaned it recently? Maybe there's some dust on that weird eject sensor?

I also haven't noticed this, but then again up until very recently I didn't actually have a clue where the drive was. Seriously, that thing is camouflaged and all my other games were digital.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Apparently this drops today:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/30/8308907/spotify-ps4-release-date-playstation-music-app

SPOTIFY

I'm not at home to confirm it's arrived, but the implementation of it sounds very, very well done. Free accounts confirmed to work too. Sounds like they've put loads of effort in to it's implementation:
    PlayStation Music works very similarly to Music Unlimited when it comes to listening to songs during video games. The app doesn't replace the game audio; instead, it leaves it up to you to adjust the sound mix. You can turn down the game volume in the game's settings, as always. If you hold down the PlayStation button, you can change the volume of the Spotify music. You can also change tracks with L1 and R1 directly from that screen, without having to go into the PlayStation Music app.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Seriously looking forward to Axiom Verge tomorrow.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    For those who are interested in Axiom Verge:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-axiom-verge/2300-10060/
    A Quicklook from the Giant Bombers

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/axiom-verge-review/1900-701/
    5 out of 5 stars from Jeff.

All my dix.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular

All my dix.

Usgamer.net has a great review up, 5/5 as well:
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/axiom-verge-ps4-review

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Apparently this drops today:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/30/8308907/spotify-ps4-release-date-playstation-music-app

SPOTIFY

I'm not at home to confirm it's arrived, but the implementation of it sounds very, very well done. Free accounts confirmed to work too. Sounds like they've put loads of effort in to it's implementation:
    PlayStation Music works very similarly to Music Unlimited when it comes to listening to songs during video games. The app doesn't replace the game audio; instead, it leaves it up to you to adjust the sound mix. You can turn down the game volume in the game's settings, as always. If you hold down the PlayStation button, you can change the volume of the Spotify music. You can also change tracks with L1 and R1 directly from that screen, without having to go into the PlayStation Music app.

Yeah, just checked and it's in TV & Videos > More Services. 'Playstation Music featuring Spotify'. Creates it's own tile rather than staying within TV&Video, too.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Just a PSA:

The Metal Gear Revengance soundtrack is on Spotify, and sounds great with every game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »

All my dix.

Usgamer.net has a great review up, 5/5 as well:
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/axiom-verge-ps4-review

I don't have my review up yet, but as someone who has been playing it for the last few weeks, I can confirm now that yes, you want this game.

It is an absolute celebration of the NES in every conceivable way, right down to its hardware glitches and limitations (which play an intentional role here).

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Snuggle, don't you say one more god damned word about this game. I want to go into it as blind as possible tomorrow, and you're already tipping it's hand.

Still <3 you, but, you know, shut your spoiler hole. :biggrin:

Also, since it's in the title, someone tell me about Bloodborne and/or why one should play it without making references or comparisons to the Souls series. I am tired of looking at reviews that can't explain this game or what's good about it without drawing the obvious connections to a series I haven't played, causing their reviews to have zero context for me.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Snuggle, don't you say one more god damned word about this game. I want to go into it as blind as possible tomorrow, and you're already tipping it's hand.

Also, since it's in the title, someone tell me about Bloodborne and/or why one should play it without making references or comparisons to the Souls series. I am tired of looking at reviews that can't explain this game or what's good about it without drawing the obvious connections to a series I haven't played, causing their reviews to have zero context for me.

Is a really hard game that makes you figure out everything by yourself appealing to you? Everything from the story to where to go and how to progress is up to you to figure out. Bosses are super tough, and even normal enemies can be challenging if you take on too many at once.

If that sounds good to you, then go nuts. It's supposed to be really satisfying to finally beat a boss, or the game in general but I dunno... I can't even get past the first boss.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I get a Van Helsing vibe from it. The first four enemies i came across all killed me individually. It is hard. But the satisfaction of defeating an enemy is brilliant.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Fair enough. I still need to emphasize how terrific the sound design is, though: not only is the music terrific, but the sound design for enemies and other effects are also great. If you own a Gold headset, you will especially appreciate the heavy amounts of bass.

One final teaser to whet your appetite.
    type 'Justin Bailey' as a password and see what happens

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I should mention that I don't think Bloodborne is a bad game. It's not for me though... I just can't do Souls games. I really tried with this one too, ah well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Everything that is good about the Souls games is present in Bloodborne so it's easy for somebody to point to those games. Let me see, if i'm talking to somebody about Bloodborne who's never played a Souls game, I'd say they're games that will punish you and be very challenging, but will also remind you of how games used to be. Do you remember playing The Legend of Zelda and figuring out its secrets, where the game is perfectly content with you never finding the secrets if you're not willing to explore every nook and cranny? Bloodborne is that.

For my money, Bloodborne(and the Souls games) are the greatest video games I've ever played. There is simply nothing else in the industry that satisfies me as much as playing these games.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Yaaaaay Spotify doesn't work at all for me

Fan-fucking-tastic

EDIT: Got it. Man, they made that as obtuse as humanly possible

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    A quick heads up for those playing Bloodborne,the suspend and resume feature can prevent you from finding other players to play multiplayer with. So make sure to close the game and just use rest mode.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

So, did you ever play Devil May Cry 3?
    You know how it starts off just punching you in the dick until eventually you can dodge a punch and then you can dodge two and then by the end you are a ballerina made of swords and bullets?
    This is like that.
    You get your ass kicked. Hard. Often. Repeatedly.
    But if you die, it is because YOU made a mistake.
    I have never played other souls games for any real length of time.
    This game has its hooks in me though.
    "WHAT THE SHIT IS THAT THING?" a few times and then "AHA I KILLED YOU, FUCKO!" and then "OH GOD HE BEAT ME TO DEATH WITH A BRICK" all within minutes of each other.

If you like a brutally hard game that rewards learning and adapting, give it a shot.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    On the other hand, if you have better things to do than make progress on a pile of your own corpses, look elsewhere. :)

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I feel like there are too many great games out there that are good immediately to invest time in one that may become enjoyable a dozen hours in

I've tried every Souls game so far and Bloodborne as well, and have found no enjoyment in them. I gave a solid five hours to Dark Souls 1 trying to penetrate it

Souls games don't respect my time

I can pop in other games and they're fun within like

Two minutes

In that, the DMC3 comparison is apt. Maybe that game's good? I just found it frustrating as shit. It didn't seem like it wanted me to play it, so I declined playing it further.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Aw heck here's a video of the first boss.

You can steel yourselves from watching it if you want to go in fresh, right? :)

https://youtu.be/riOA7PP2YSI

Again, I just had to show off that awesome soundtrack and sound design.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options

You know how it starts off just punching you in the dick until eventually you can dodge a punch and then you can dodge two and then by the end you are a ballerina made of swords and bullets?
    This is like that.
    "WHAT THE SHIT IS THAT THING?" a few times and then "AHA I KILLED YOU, FUCKO!" and then "OH GOD HE BEAT ME TO DEATH WITH A BRICK" all within minutes of each other.

If you like a brutally hard game that rewards learning and adapting, give it a shot.

I don't actually recall DMC3 punching me in the dick? I never finished it, but on whatever the "normal" difficulty was, I seem to recall getting a decent way into the game before I got sidetracked and never returned to it.

The thing that I'm finding from all the Reviews vs Newbie Reviews I'm reading is:
    - People that like it love that it's brutally punishing and get a deep feeling of satisfaction from learning how best to approach it's challenges and master them.
    - People that hate it like the above theoretically, but hate the repetition that follows a failure, forcing you to spend time re-overcoming obstacles you've already mastered just to get back to the part you were still learning, further exacerbated by the long load times after each death.

I feel like I could conceivably identify with either of these stances. Ergo, I have no idea. I should wait for a sale; or pick up a cheap copy of one of the older games, probably.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Demon Souls took me something like 3 separate tries of 10-15 hours each before the gear slipped into place and it clicked. And then following that, both Dark Souls became perfect fits right out the gate.

Saying "You should give it 50 hours to really get into it" is understandably not a reasonable thing to say to somebody though, obviously.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Saying Souls games don't respect your time is utter nonsense. If you start out the game dying a ton because you're not yet good enough at the game and that's how the first few hours go, that's on you. And I used to be one of the people who declared Souls games not for me.

I tried Dark Souls 1, got pissed when I kept dying to the boar and the black knights and quit. I tried Demon's Souls, got pissed when I kept dying to regular enemies like blue eye knights in 1-2 and quit. I always knew there were great experiences waiting for me in there, but years of playing games that are all impossible to fail conditioned me to think Souls wasn't for me.

When Dark Souls 2 came out I told myself I'm going to beat this game, period. I died quite a few times in the first forest. Then I slowly got better. Then I was beating bosses the first time I encountered them. Once it clicked it was over. I put 200+ hours into that game easily playing various different characters. Then I went back and beat Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls too, having the time of my life now that I understood how to play the games.

Now I'm blazing through Bloodborne as much as free time permits.

It's not that you need to put a bunch of hours into a Souls game for the payoff. It's that it might take you that long before you realize you're getting an experience with all the mystery and accomplishment of the first time you played The Legend of Zelda and it really clicks for you. For some people it happens instantly.

• Options

This is like that.

I don't actually recall DMC3 punching me in the dick? I never finished it, but on whatever the "normal" difficulty was, I seem to recall getting a decent way into the game before I got sidetracked and never returned to it.

The thing that I'm finding from all the Reviews vs Newbie Reviews I'm reading is:
    - People that like it love that it's brutally punishing and get a deep feeling of satisfaction from learning how best to approach it's challenges and master them.
    - People that hate it like the above theoretically, but hate the repetition that follows a failure, forcing you to spend time re-overcoming obstacles you've already mastered just to get back to the part you were still learning, further exacerbated by the long load times after each death.

I feel like I could conceivably identify with either of these stances. Ergo, I have no idea. I should wait for a sale; or pick up a cheap copy of one of the older games, probably.

Just so you know since it sounds like you haven't played them, the bolded part doesn't apply to Souls games. They're really specifically designed so you meticulously make your way through levels, get shortcuts, etc., but once you're at a boss you can just run past all the enemies to the boss when you die. For most any boss across all the games it's at most a 2 minute run back to the boss room from where you spawn when you die.

There's no "Man I have to re-fight 30 minutes of enemies to fight the boss again." Not at all.

• Options
    That's fine for you, I guess?

But they're totally not for everyone

I also don't like the original Legend of Zelda for the exact same reasons

I don't need my games to be "mysterious," I just need them to be fun

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Souls games to me are the most fun games of all time. They're definitely not for everybody though. Some people don't find the same satisfaction in overcoming challenges that respect you but don't just let you basically win for free. I get it. If you want games that don't require you to figure out what to do on your own and let you beat them without any real chance of failing, that's 99% of AAA titles so you'll never run out of games to play.

I love Uncharted, JRPGs, etc. too but I like those games for different reasons, and they'll never be as good as the Souls games.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Spotify seems pretty rad so far. If you stream to twitch while it's running than it just streams everything except for the Spotify music, so you can rock out while sidestepping any copyright issues. Something to keep in mind though, since if you mute in-game music and listen to Spotify while you're streaming than your viewers won't hear any music at all.

In other news I have a sudden urge to put on some ripped denim jeans and a flannel shirt, and I'm not really sure why.

Honestly though I'll probably be using it to find new music as opposed to listening to music I already know, since I had a gargantuan digital music collection and the USB music player is pretty convenient as it is.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Man, I kinda want Spotify Premium just so I can use my tablet and phone as a controller.

But I also want that student discount.

But it keeps saying I'm not a student.

I mean, I was one! That should count for something!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Aw, the 10% off code is all over?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Just a PSA:

The Metal Gear Revengance soundtrack is on Spotify, and sounds great with every game.

Oh fuck! I'm gonna be playing Destiny with Rules of Nature/Collective Consciousness/The Only Thing I Know For Real running on repeat tonight! :D

Edit: this is the stupidest reason for me to have finally signed up for Spotify. Done now!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Just a PSA:

I think you mean Hotline Miami, right?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Souls games to me are the most fun games of all time. They're definitely not for everybody though. Some people don't find the same satisfaction in overcoming challenges that respect you but don't just let you basically win for free. I get it. If you want games that don't require you to figure out what to do on your own and let you beat them without any real chance of failing, that's 99% of AAA titles so you'll never run out of games to play.

I love Uncharted, JRPGs, etc. too but I like those games for different reasons, and they'll never be as good as the Souls games.

Wow, what a condescending goose.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Joshmvii wrote: »

"It's fine if you like dumb games for babies, I understand."

Man, I like Dark Souls too, but come on.

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    There's a better way to phrase it I guess, but that does describe a lot of AAA games. First thing I thought of was Assassin's Creed.

But Uncharted and Batman and whatnot have some wicked hard optional modes if you want to get into that.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I feel like there are too many great games out there that are good immediately to invest time in one that may become enjoyable a dozen hours in

I've tried every Souls game so far and Bloodborne as well, and have found no enjoyment in them. I gave a solid five hours to Dark Souls 1 trying to penetrate it

Souls games don't respect my time

I can pop in other games and they're fun within like

Two minutes

In that, the DMC3 comparison is apt. Maybe that game's good? I just found it frustrating as shit. It didn't seem like it wanted me to play it, so I declined playing it further.

Man, you've got a bizarre definition of games that don't respect your time. To me, that's games like Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age Inquisition, Batman Arkham City, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, etc. Games that have very shallow gameplay systems, taking "two minutes" to figure out the extent of their mechanics and yet are still 30+ hours long, with mindless bullshit missions or collectables padding out largely empty and repetitive maps. Those are the sort of games that don't respect my time because most of that content is absolutely useless, yet they take hours upon hours to do.

Games like DMC3 and Souls games though, they're games that have me thinking from beginning to end. I'm figuring out how long my attacks take and learning enemy attack patterns, to ensure I get out of a fight without a scratch. I'm memorising the levels and making sure I open any shortcuts in order to make my life easier if I die. With every death, I'm learning something to make sure it doesn't happen again and once I have an enemy figured out, they're only ever a problem again when I'm doing something dumb, like trying to rush through a level. None of that is a waste, it respects my time as much as any game with depth could.

Bloodborne is a pretty incredible game. I loved Demon's Souls and what I played of Dark Souls (never got around to putting much time into it, but I will later in the year) but Bloodborne really clicks with me, because all the easy mode turtling is gone and you're forced to go on the attack, which is what I did in Demon's Souls anyway.

So this was a pretty incredible month. Bloodborne, Helldivers, Life is Strange: Episode 2, Firmware 2.50 and Spotify were all pretty awesome and it's being topped off by Axiom Verge.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    But they're fun

And they waste no time doing so

I mean if you don't think they're fun that's one thing

But if I have to "get to the good part" of anything, be it movie, game or show, it can fuck right off

Again, not saying my way's better, or your way

But a lot of gamers today (myself included) are very focused on instant gratification, which is something that the Souls games do not provide in any way

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Lost Izalith certainly didn't feel like it respected my time.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Lost Izalith certainly didn't feel like it respected my time.

I think you mean the Tomb of the Giants. Hell, the entire Catacombs.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I was being nice.

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular

Man, you've got a bizarre definition of games that don't respect your time. To me, that's games like Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age Inquisition, Batman Arkham City, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, etc. Games that have very shallow gameplay systems, taking "two minutes" to figure out the extent of their mechanics and yet are still 30+ hours long, with mindless bullshit missions or collectables padding out largely empty and repetitive maps. Those are the sort of games that don't respect my time because most of that content is absolutely useless, yet they take hours upon hours to do.

Games like DMC3 and Souls games though, they're games that have me thinking from beginning to end. I'm figuring out how long my attacks take and learning enemy attack patterns, to ensure I get out of a fight without a scratch. I'm memorising the levels and making sure I open any shortcuts in order to make my life easier if I die. With every death, I'm learning something to make sure it doesn't happen again and once I have an enemy figured out, they're only ever a problem again when I'm doing something dumb, like trying to rush through a level. None of that is a waste, it respects my time as much as any game with depth could.

What frame of mind you game in is pretty important here.
    I spend a lot of my gaming time unwinding after a rush hour commute or a long day a work.
    Something as intense as what you're describing is really not relaxing at all. I'm not saying I always want to be LEGO game level of mindless fun, but polishing off everything on the maps in those games is a lot more fun for me than the actual hard parts where I might lose.
    If I want something harder, I'd rather it be turn based, I guess? The closest thing to hard I really play these days is Etrian Odyssey.

One other thing about the From Software games is the visual style. I think those games have the absolute ugliest visual aesthetic possible without actually having bad graphics. That isn't a world I want to be in at all, even though it's clearly an intentional choice.