As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lets Play] Half-Life - Interlope Gonarch's Lair in Xen to find Nihilanth (MMAN Vids)

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    Oh yeah, does anyone know how good the PS2 port of Half-Life was? I ask because I'm playing this now on my old labtop, and it's stuttering rather badly. I've got it down a bit to where it's playable, but it's really kind of annoying. I'd rather just find it and play it on the PS2 if the port isn't atrocious or anything.

The PS2 port is incredible. It has weapons and models of higher quality than the HD Pack, controls well with the Dual Shock (which will probably be the only real barrier if you're primarily a PC gamer), and has a fun co-op sidestory as well. You can play the co-op story (Decay) split screen with someone, or you can play it by yourself, switching back and forth between the two female scientists (who took the suits next to yours, which are a lovely shade of red and grey).

I need to get some of the HL games sometime soon. I've played through the main game, and I played through Blue Shift (but BS it was on the DC so it would crash a lot), but I haven't played Opposing Force and I get a hankering for some classic HL every so often. My "Killer Gaming Rig" (Pentium 3 500MHz, 384MB RAM, 16MB ATi RageII) is more than sufficient.

Awesome. I'm sure I can find the HL PS2 version at a used cd/game store near me. I'll pick that up then. The dualshock wouldn't be a barrier as I'm mainly a console gamer (thus having my windows laptop be something that can't even handle Half Life 1).

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Half-Life was the last big AAA PC game to be released that didn't require hardware accelerated video. It ain't pretty in software, but it runs. It's minimum specs are (if I remember correctly) a Pentium 133MHz with 24MB RAM and 200MB of hard disc space for a minimum install.

Your laptop can't play it in software mode at 640x480? What are your specs?

Einhander on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh yeah, does anyone know how good the PS2 port of Half-Life was? I ask because I'm playing this now on my old labtop, and it's stuttering rather badly. I've got it down a bit to where it's playable, but it's really kind of annoying. I'd rather just find it and play it on the PS2 if the port isn't atrocious or anything.

The PS2 port is incredible. It has weapons and models of higher quality than the HD Pack, controls well with the Dual Shock (which will probably be the only real barrier if you're primarily a PC gamer), and has a fun co-op sidestory as well. You can play the co-op story (Decay) split screen with someone, or you can play it by yourself, switching back and forth between the two female scientists (who took the suits next to yours, which are a lovely shade of red and grey).

I need to get some of the HL games sometime soon. I've played through the main game, and I played through Blue Shift (but BS it was on the DC so it would crash a lot), but I haven't played Opposing Force and I get a hankering for some classic HL every so often. My "Killer Gaming Rig" (Pentium 3 500MHz, 384MB RAM, 16MB ATi RageII) is more than sufficient.

Wait, so I can get the HEV in different colors?! Man, there goes my comments..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Wait, so I can get the HEV in different colors?! Man, there goes my comments..

You can't, I assume the scientists in Decay got there suits before Gordon comes in, chronologically.

For what it's worth, in multiplayer you can use several color schemes for several variations on the HEV.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I remember HL multiplayer. Anytime anyone joined the server as Barney Calhoun, we all teamed up and killed him. Didn't matter what the gametype was, or who was on what team, or how I had the Magnum and another guy was right in front of me... we were all trying to kill Barney.

So awesome.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Black Ice wrote: »
    Awesome OP!! I can't believe no one has commented on it yet.

I beat HL Source this summer and I became so bored of the game later on that I had to manipulate gravity in the developer's console to continue playing. It didn't age well for me, but apparently no one else has a problem with it.

It was so bad for me, in fact, I had to install the updated graphics patch created by the community. It updated the textures and models, and most importantly.. the weapons! The MP5/203 was replaced with an M16/203, for example. It was just a ton more fun to play.

care to share a link? I seem to find the the game bland as it is. I'm just so spoilt.

No problem, I believe this is it. I haven't tried the download files myself but the size of the RAR matches mine perfectly and so does the file name..

If you want it for WinRAR, try Here

If you want it for WinZip, try Here

These are only for Half-Life Source. I am pretty sure there's a graphical update the community made for the original as well, but I have never tried looking for it, let alone playing with it.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I remember HL multiplayer. Anytime anyone joined the server as Barney Calhoun, we all teamed up and killed him. Didn't matter what the gametype was, or who was on what team, or how I had the Magnum and another guy was right in front of me... we were all trying to kill Barney.

So awesome.

Yep. That sounds awesome.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I haven't played Half-Life yet either. I'll get started on this soon!

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I didn't like the original Half Life that much. It was okay, but stopped being fun for me around the time I first ran into the marines. Eventually it became a chore. I finished it anyway. Maybe it's because I didn't experience it until 2005, who knows.
    Half Life 2 on the other hand is one of my all time favorite games. CS:S and Portal also kick ass.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I didn't like the original Half Life that much. It was okay, but stopped being fun for me around the time I first ran into the marines. Eventually it became a chore. I finished it anyway. Maybe it's because I didn't experience it until 2005, who knows.
    Half Life 2 on the other hand is one of my all time favorite games. CS:S and Portal also kick ass.

Nope it's just because you're crazy, sorry.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »

Hmm. I think when people say they stopped like HL at a point, it's typically much closer to the end than meeting the marines.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I never finished HL1, so this is a great thread for me. :^:

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The only thing I didn't like about Half Life was how ridiculously unrealistic the environment was.

It's like, "ok, there doesn't seem to be a anything at the end of this hallway except for a gargantuan pit with some giant crates hanging in it for me to jump on. Makes sense. And then oh, this hallway goes through a bottomless pit with a walkway so flimsy that a 200 pound creature falling from three feet above will completely smash it. Where do these vents go? Answer: to the hallway next to this one. Oh, now I'm outside climbing up a cliff walking/jumping on old, rickety jungle-style wood and rope bridges that have absolutely no business being here. And where exactly are the labs? I've seen like three in the entire facility. And has anyone seen a bathroom? Why are there all these flatbed utility trams around if they only go in circles? Why are all of these vats of extremely dangerous acid/radioactive slime uncovered?"

Still, though, awesome game.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I mean I guess maybe it would make sense if Black Mesa was built by committee back in the fifties, construction hastily done in sections so none of the soldiers building it would know too much of it's layout because of the red scare, and then new sections were just being added willy-nilly here and there as needed, or just built to justify the facility's incredibly large yearly budget.

Because then it would make a little more sense.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think it's just easier to say they built the floorplan around gameplay and not realism.

I mean that tram section at the start is needlessly complicated.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A lone scientist killing hordes of trained military personnel and monstrous aliens from another world? Perfectly acceptable.

An expansive underground complex not being designed in the most realistic and logical fashion? Outrageous!

Navoc on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And also there are only like two women in the entire game. What's up with that?

Black Mesa = total sausage fest.

Einhander on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    if you want, you can install the Steam-compatible hi-def pack by [url=steam://installaddon/halflifehd]clicking here[/url] (while steam is running)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thatnks Black Ice, couldn't find any HL:Source mods at all strangely. It's all original Hla-life stuff.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »

Hmm. I think when people say they stopped like HL at a point, it's typically much closer to the end than meeting the marines.

Yes, I very much liked the beginning but eventually it just turns into an annoying gauntlet of low-health areas with cheap deaths that make you have to annoyingly repeat things over and over swearing your ass off and hoping to god it will be over soon and be more like the beginning of the game but no it never happens and so after all these years I still haven't finished the damned thing.

I think I'm somewhere close to Xen but hey, how should I know?

I had the same problem with Half Life 2 but even more extreme. HL2's opening was AWESOME, but then suddenly you're done exploring and just running forward a lot (under the pretense of running away). Heck I was even cool with the running away bits until they just kept going... and then you're on a boat....

How does the boat get back?

If the game had been more "we'll let you explore this city and mess with the Combine and find out what's going on" ... more exploration mixed with the shooter stuff I would have been so happy.

Oh Half Life.... how you always get my hopes up.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Yes, I very much liked the beginning but eventually it just turns into an annoying gauntlet of low-health areas with cheap deaths that make you have to annoyingly repeat things over and over swearing your ass off and hoping to god it will be over soon and be more like the beginning of the game but no it never happens and so after all these years I still haven't finished the damned thing.

I had the same problem with Half Life 2 but even more extreme. HL2's opening was AWESOME, but then suddenly you're done exploring and just running forward a lot (under the pretense of running away). Heck I was even cool with the running away bits until they just kept going... and then you're on a boat....

If the game had been more "we'll let you explore this city and mess with the Combine and find out what's going on" ... more exploration mixed with the shooter stuff I would have been so happy.

The whole game is "on rails" or, to use the archaic phrase from when the game came out, "on a linear path" they just give you an illusion of freedom in the beginning, but really the reason the whole game is so good is because of it's carefully scripted events.

The first game is absolutely no different. It leads to a lot of cool moments, like when you see the scientists fall in the elevator, but the game never really gives you any freedom if that's what you're looking for, other than how to use the physics system and how to kill enemies.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    But the thing is F.E.A.R. is that way (linear) but it FELT like you were exploring and the fights were so damned cool! Fights had so many options that they always seemed fresh. Repeating a battle wasn't usually annoying.

There's just something about the way they did things that just makes it seem really damned boring and annoying to me.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited October 2007
    But the thing is F.E.A.R. is that way (linear) but it FELT like you were exploring and the fights were so damned cool! Fights had so many options that they always seemed fresh. Repeating a battle wasn't usually annoying.

There's just something about the way they did things that just makes it seem really damned boring and annoying to me.

Well, you're supposed to kinda be blown away by the nice graphics and the setting and the physics and the gravity gun, but I guess all that was more interesting and exciting when the game was new. *shrug* It's more atmospheric.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    not for you

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I just started playing the source version.
    That High Def pack is awesome.
    So I just got A laser gun O_o and some weird little bugs?
    What the heck were they doing down in the labs?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

HL2 is a series of fantastic smaller games. There is "run from the combine", then there's "shoot a few weaker combine with pistol", then there's "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Boat ride", then there's "let's play with DOG", then there's "OMG ZOMBIES" and so on.

Each part is unique within the game (even the ones that employ similar tools, i.e. guns), and they're all really great on their own.

The thing is, whenever you go into a game expecting something different, it's a let down. The first playthrough of HL2 is never the best. The game actually improves when you know what to expect. At first, I hated the boat and the car parts, because I was too eager to get to the next part, but when I played them for themselves, they became really awesome. The whole "it's not the destination, it's the journey" cliche is well applied here.

I really believe that valve is years ahead of everyone else in terms of gameplay, pacing and storytelling and art direction. No one else is even CLOSE to have the same understanding of those aspects of gaming as they are. There's nothing even close to Portal/TF2/Ep2 in the market.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    One thing to remember about Half-life 1 is that it's almost a decade old.

At the time of it's release, the closest any fps had really come to attempting a coherent environment was probably Duke Nukem 3D (or possibly Sin). Comparing Half-Life to F.E.A.R. is a bit ridiculous - because F.E.A.R. is obviously going to borrow the best parts of Half-Life.

That (as a fps from 1998) Half-Life 1 actually had a plot told in game and believable environments -even ones that were occasionally contrived, puts the game well ahead of it's time.

Jeak on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I liked the boat and car parts

I don't see what's so wrong about them

When that huge structure fell apart right infront of the boat, while the combine are chasing you was awesome. Also, getting stuck in that tunnel with the car while the zombies started waking up was creepy as fuck. This is a good thing

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007

HL2 is a series of fantastic smaller games. There is "run from the combine", then there's "shoot a few weaker combine with pistol", then there's "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Boat ride", then there's "let's play with DOG", then there's "OMG ZOMBIES" and so on.

Each part is unique within the game (even the ones that employ similar tools, i.e. guns), and they're all really great on their own.

The thing is, whenever you go into a game expecting something different, it's a let down. The first playthrough of HL2 is never the best. The game actually improves when you know what to expect. At first, I hated the boat and the car parts, because I was too eager to get to the next part, but when I played them for themselves, they became really awesome. The whole "it's not the destination, it's the journey" cliche is well applied here.

I really believe that valve is years ahead of everyone else in terms of gameplay, pacing and storytelling and art direction. No one else is even CLOSE to have the same understanding of those aspects of gaming as they are. There's nothing even close to Portal/TF2/Ep2 in the market.

Pacing? Like spending a half hour dragging two objects across the sand so I could walk on top of them?

Jeak wrote: »
    One thing to remember about Half-life 1 is that it's almost a decade old.

At the time of it's release, the closest any fps had really come to attempting a coherent environment was probably Duke Nukem 3D (or possibly Sin). Comparing Half-Life to F.E.A.R. is a bit ridiculous - because F.E.A.R. is obviously going to borrow the best parts of Half-Life.

That (as a fps from 1998) Half-Life 1 actually had a plot told in game and believable environments -even ones that were occasionally contrived, puts the game well ahead of it's time.

I'm certainly not arguing that. I started the game years ago (years and years) and my point is that I STILL haven't wanted to finish it.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited October 2007
    They're waiting for you Gordon... in the tessst chambeerrr.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You, sir, suck at dragging objects.

Not you, sir (ma'am), the sir above you.

Remington on
  • Options
    AbelsAbels Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And also there are only like two women in the entire game. What's up with that?

Black Mesa = total sausage fest.

WELCOME TO SCIENCE.

Abels on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pacing? Like spending a half hour dragging two objects across the sand so I could walk on top of them?

You only have to do that once or twice if you take the efficient, jumping route.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, where are these two women?

I hope you're not counting the hologram...

Remington on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

You only have to do that once or twice if you take the efficient, jumping route.

Not quite.

And you have to do it again later... but different hazard.

This happens a lot in HL2: Neat gimmick-as-puzzle, beat the gimmick out for a bit, go on to next bit, then combine the old gimmick with the new bit later on.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Remington wrote: »

In Half-Life: Decay on the ps2 port of Half-Life you play as Gina Cross and Colette Green. I think he was reffering to the entire Half-Life 1 universe. The hazard course hologram is modelled after Gina Cross.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Well there are the assassins.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    thorpe wrote: »

Well there are the assassins.

Oh yeah, I always forget about them. It was fun to play with their AI, you hide in a box in that room you fight them in, then fire your gun once, thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump *silence* and repeat until one of them runs in front of you.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    MMANMMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is it allowed for video playthroughs in let's play to be done by someone separate to the OP? As I'm up for it (provided FRAPS doesn't have some horrible issues with HL), and due for another playthrough of HL anyway :) .

MMAN on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MMAN wrote: »
    Is it allowed for video playthroughs in let's play to be done by someone separate to the OP? As I'm up for it (provided FRAPS doesn't have some horrible issues with HL), and due for another playthrough of HL anyway :) .

MMAN, if you want to do video versions go right ahead. I just don't have the setup for it or time for it so screenshots are much easier for me.

I'll even add them to the OP if you PM the links to me as you do them (post them in the thread too so people see it move up).

Hopefully I'll get another set of shots up tomorrow. I've had a busy weekend so I haven't gotten anywhere. Sorry to keep you all in suspense. :(

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png