Options

[Rock Band]: 4 has been announced! Out this year!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Rock Band 4 Survey

fill it out and share it around

part of it asks about what instruments you have, what platform you were on, what instruments you'd like to buy, what platform you want to buy on, and finally some music preference questions.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Meh. But it was interesting that they asked me why I wasn't intending to buy RB4. I suppose if I said a console, the next question was about legacy DLC.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    There's also a link to sign-up for pre-order notification when they go live (if you don't already receive the HMX newsletter).

Pre-Order notification list

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Meh. But it was interesting that they asked me why I wasn't intending to buy RB4. I suppose if I said a console, the next question was about legacy DLC.

I don't think it's a dynamic survey

I said I had it on PS3, was going to be playing on PS4 and no legacy dlc question

My guess is they want to give as little info about legacy dlc as they can for now

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    It is, at least a bit. If you say you don't intend to buy, it adds a question asking why.
    It only lets you pick one answer though - I would've chose "want it on pc" in addition to the "switched console family" option

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    I was expecting a DLC question and got none. I'll be fine if my One is now just my Rock Band machine. It's basically what my 360 turned into.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Error wrote: »
    I was expecting a DLC question and got none. I'll be fine if my One is now just my Rock Band machine. It's basically what my 360 turned into.

yeah

my PS3 has basically been netflix and Rock Band since I bought it

There's a few games I always meant to pick up like Last of Us but just never got around to it

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Since a local branch of Media Markt (one of those big, cheapo electronics stores) just opened here, they had PS4s on offer for the local equivalent of USD260. Apparently that's an extremely good price, so I'm now the proud owner of a PS4 - and so ready for Rock Band 4. (By then I might even have finished Bloodborne!)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Well, the five year old caught the wife and I playing some Rock Band 3 last night when she was supposed to be in bed asleep. She was entranced and wants to give the game a try. That'll either happen this week or this weekend. Thank you "No Fail" mode. I hope that sticks around. I wish they would bring back the attitude trait for the characters too. It was a neat little thing that we were sad disappeared for 3. Also remembering how much I hated unlocking stuff in 3 versus just earning money for doing things and buying what we wanted later. Having to complete pro challenges for things none of us were ever interested in to unlock clothing was a pretty bad design decision.

Still, quite excited to get the whole family playing.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah...I can't wait to get my...wow she'll be 3 years old by the time RB4 is released! Anyways, yeah, can't wait till we can do this thing together. Oh boy, that means I won't get to play Disturbed with her huh?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Microsoft has a Spring Sale this week through Monday. Included are the following RB3 song packs (first percentage is Gold Only):
    Rock Band 3 – Ozzy Osbourne 8-Pack 	Add-On 	50% 	40%
    Rock Band 3 – Aerosmith Greatest   	Add-On 	50% 	40%
    Rock Band 3 – The Black Keys Pack 02  	Add-On 	50% 	40%
    Rock Band 3 – Pretty Hate Pack 01  	Add-On 	50% 	40%

Remember, the Ozzy Osbourne pack includes the two songs that are exclusive to the pack (Bark at the Moon and Mama, I'm Coming Home).

If I wanted the whole Aerosmith pack this would be good timing, but I don't. And it amuses me I bought the NiN pack a couple of months ago.

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    They said exported tracks would also carry forward right? Can I buy a copy of RB1 and 2 now for that? Are there any options anymore for that at all?

• Options
    It's expected, but not confirmed. If they do, we don't know how they'd 'import' RB1 tracks since those were never downloaded and instead copied from the disc.

RB2 needs the code from the game manual so you either need to find a new, sealed copy or you can maybe get a code from EA's support (if they're still even doing that).

The Free 20 for RB2 are obtained using the code from the RB2 manual, so maybe a used copy will work. But those have been made unavailable for new players a while ago so that probably won't work. (There was a web page you would enter the code and receive a download code to enter on the console you bought the game for. That page is gone, now. So...)

The direct codes included in various track packs (AC/DC, Green Day, Country Pack 02, etc.) should still work, but again, you probably need to find new copies. On the 'plus' side, all the Green Day tracks are purchasable directly from the store. But those will only work in RB3. The disc code provides a download that is usable in all RB games to this point.

If you're leaving it 'till now, it's unlikely you'll get all the songs. RB1 is the only one guaranteed to work with used copies. However, we don't have any details on how, if at all, legacy tracks will be playable within RB4.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    RB2 needs the code from the game manual so you either need to find a new, sealed copy or you can maybe get a code from EA's support (if they're still even doing that).

The Free 20 for RB2 are obtained using the code from the RB2 manual, so maybe a used copy will work. But those have been made unavailable for new players a while ago so that probably won't work. (There was a web page you would enter the code and receive a download code to enter on the console you bought the game for. That page is gone, now. So...)

The direct codes included in various track packs (AC/DC, Green Day, Country Pack 02, etc.) should still work, but again, you probably need to find new copies. On the 'plus' side, all the Green Day tracks are purchasable directly from the store. But those will only work in RB3. The disc code provides a download that is usable in all RB games to this point.

The RB2 and LRB export codes expired earlier this year (or maybe late last year and nobody noticed until recently). The offer for the 20 free songs from RB2 expired a year ago, and the code for the bonus tracks from the Plus version of GDRB expired like a year after the game came out. And RB3 never had an export option, and may never have one. As far as I know, the only export codes that still work are RB1, GDRB, and the track packs. Some people have suggested that hassling EA's customer service could get them to give you the expired downloads if you give them the code, though that seems unlikely.

• Options
    Oh, yeah. LRB...

The point is still the same: waiting until now to get all the songs in one place pretty much means there really isn't much you can do. Tracks are already being pulled from the marketplace and import codes generally don't work anymore, used or new.

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Licensing is dumb.

• Options
    jokeman23jokeman23 Registered User new member
    Harmonies may not appear in rock band 4 according to twitter. More info below

https://youtube.com/watch?v=L9NT5NCnhgU

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd have to imagine at this point they're just not confirming anything that has the slightest chance of being pulled or not making launch. They said Pro Drums since Day 1 so they definitely want that in.

Looking at my PS4, it only has two USB ports.. so maybe they're thinking not enough people will get a USB port to do harmonies on that console, or they're still looking at how the PS4/One will handle multiple USB microphones. I have no idea how many ports the One has.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I thought that "pro drums are totally in" was due to pro drums being pretty trivial for them because they needed that data to animate the drummer avatars. Honestly, harmonies seem like an ideal candidate to go if they're dead set on stripping out a lot of the stuff they layered on top of their formula over the years.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Sprout wrote: »
    I thought that "pro drums are totally in" was due to pro drums being pretty trivial for them because they needed that data to animate the drummer avatars. Honestly, harmonies seem like an ideal candidate to go if they're dead set on stripping out a lot of the stuff they layered on top of their formula over the years.

The animations weren't used to make pro drums. They had to do all pro drums by hand, so RB3 literally has patch files for every export and DLC song from the RB1 era, and patches songs on the fly when you load them.

RB2 onwards they actually started charting pro drums (or maybe even slightly before RB2?) but it wasn't until RB3 that a Rock Band game actually acknowledged the cymbal charting.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    God, that story is never going to die, is it?

• Options
    Beginning today and going until Sunday, apparently, Rock Band Blitz is 50% off for Silver XBL members and 60% off for Gold. So if you've been wanting it but holding out, now is probably a good time to get it.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    6$ is pretty good deal for 25 songs. Basically if you enjoy 3 of the songs then you might as well get 22 more for free for the same amount of money.

edit: for the lazy

“Kids in the Street” - The All-American Rejects
    “So Far Away” - Avenged Sevenfold
    “One Week” - Barenaked Ladies
    “Always” - Blink-182
    “Shine” - Collective Soul
    “I’m Still Standing” - Elton John
    “A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More ‘Touch Me’” - Fall Out Boy
    “These Days” - Foo Fighters
    “Pumped Up Kicks” - Foster the People
    “We Are Young” - Fun. ft. Janelle Monáe
    “Once Bitten Twice Shy” - Great White
    “Jungle Boogie” - Kool & The Gang
    “The Wicker Man” - Iron Maiden
    “Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)” - Kelly Clarkson
    “Cult of Personality” - Living Colour
    “Moves Like Jagger” - Maroon 5
    “Sing” - My Chemical Romance
    “Raise Your Glass” - P!nk
    “Death on Two Legs” - Queen
    “Metal Health (Bang Your Head)” - Quiet Riot
    “Give It Away” - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    “Jessie's Girl” - Rick Springfield
    “Diamond Eyes (Boom-Lay Boom-Lay Boom)” - Shinedown
    “Spoonman” - Soundgarden
    “Shout” - Tears for Fears

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    So Guitar Hero Live is a thing. And if the rumors are true it won't have 5 lane gameplay.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    But this isn’t the same Guitar Hero as before. Developer FreeStyleGames, whose past work includes the unique DJ Hero series...

Shit. Shit.

Now I have to buy it.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I know a fair amount of people don't care - but the fact that Activision is supporting the Wii U on this one is awesome. I really, really want to buy a PS4, but can't do it at the moment (saving for a house/getting finances in order) - this takes the sting off missing RB4 significantly.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The new button layout is quite interesting. Not sure how you will feel having to watch the same band animations over and over again, I imagine it will get annoying, but you really don't pay much attention to the background while playing anyways.

• Options
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I actually really like how the note highway looks. the FMV thing not so much though.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I think aside from the backgrounds risking repetitiveness it could be fun. I like the sounds of the controls and if they made DJ Hero they know what they're doing. The only thing that does bother me is that the idea of a 24/7 channel to play with is fun, until Activision decides that they aren't supporting it.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Actually watched one of the songs. The FMV approach is weirder than I expected even.

I think I'd rather just have had standard shots of the real band in question instead of this odd first person thing from a generic band.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know if I care...most of the time I'm looking at the highway. Also quoting GB here:
    The Black Keys, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Gary Clark, Jr., Green Day, Ed Sheeran, The War on Drugs, The Killers, Skrillex, The Rolling Stones, The Lumineers, Pierce the Veil and Blitz Kids and more.

Depending on the songs...that doesn't sound that bad. I'd love some Ed Sheeran.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I do not like the FMV thing at all (and I hate that it seems to firmly center the game as you being a white dude), the new guitar design looks like it could be really fun though.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Actually watched one of the songs. The FMV approach is weirder than I expected even.

I think I'd rather just have had standard shots of the real band in question instead of this odd first person thing from a generic band.

It looks like this

https://youtu.be/Oj1GW9z7OWI

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    My first instinct to even just the notion of Guitar Hero coming back is "hey Activision, fuck off".
    Seriously, if they oversaturate the market again and kill music games for a second time... man. Maybe they actually won't, but they're not really a company who I expect will learn from past mistakes. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

The different charting is an interesting choice, though I don't know if I personally like it.
    The FMV stuff looks incredibly stupid. Being able to customize your character/band in the RockBand games may be a relatively small, subtle detail/feature, but I feel that it really adds to the experience.

They'll have to have a pretty killer setlist for me to even consider it.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Huh.

I guess I'm the only one that actually finds the approach appealing. It's certainly something different.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Something else I'm wondering now; is the new Guitar Hero single player only? Or at least, just guitar?
    Lack of local multiplayer would be a pretty big dealbreaker for me.

• Options
    I agree that lack of multiplayer would hurt. I wonder how much including 360/PS3/Wii U will help Guitar Hero?