As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Crota's Beginning: Fundamentally Unlike Disneyland.

• Options
    juicebox989juicebox989 Quad CitiesRegistered User regular
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OdDNZcSWdaI
    Omg watch this vid, I would freak

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    What the hell was that?!? NEVER PUB IN SKIRMISH NEVER EVER.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    He does pretty well despite the disadvantage. I'd have quit out after realizing what was happening, though.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    That dude won, imo.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    The Weekly Update indicates that the place where we meet the Queen in the Reef is the asteroid Vesta

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Erevar wrote: »
    Erevar wrote: »
    Team Motorboat Kitten (Xbox One) @ 7pm EST tonight

Confirmed:
    @Erevar
    @skippymchaggis
    @Arteen
    @Brogey
    Arteen's sister

Possible Back-ups:
    @awsimo
    @morgan_coke
    @Darkewolfe
    @shorttimin'
    Arteen's friend

Updated. 2 groups of 5 (not necessarily to be split up as above)!

@Obifett - You can count me in for Fourth Meal if you need a warm body.

Sounds good. I'm hitting the Tower now, whichever group just send me an invite when we're ready to go.
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »
    @Obifett, I have tomorrow off, so I can be available for Fourth Meal tonight if you need an extra.

@Arteen we do! so count on it!

@erevar that goes for you too

and @awsimo don't fall asleep, you make our 6th

I might be able to stop watching the Star Wars trailer long enough to join...

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Thanks for playing guys, tonight definitely confirmed that all the things I thought were great about Destiny are actually just things that are great about the peeps on this board.

@skippymchaggis @Erevar @Darkewolfe @Midnight_god oh, and we also totally confirmed that the most replaceable person in any group is obviously...

@jefe414

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    BillyIdle wrote: »

yeah...

what the fuck?

why? what?

I dont understand why people would do what they did in that vid

Al_wat on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I did several exotic bounties and capped my crucible marks purely via solo queuing Skirmish and never saw anything like that. I actually had a great time for most of it, and got pretty good at that mode.

I totally would have bailed the second I saw what was happening; well, after reporting every single one of them.

But yeah, that's some bullshit. I hope those asstards get banned or at least suspended, since there's pretty much no ambiguity in that video and Bungie will have to have seen it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It would've been easier to ask who didn't want to replace @jefe414!

That was fun, @Brogey and @awsimo! I got nothing too exciting from either raid, but my sister got a vision of confluence from our normal VoG run, so that was great. I hope the other raid team had fun, too!

Also, Team Kitten > Team Motorboat. 8-)

• Options
    rockurcradlerockurcradle Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Found this on Destinytracker.com tuxtpne2mgpv.jpg

Something is gonna be different....maybe you play for fallen agaist the queen...sounds fun!!

rockurcradle on
    I own:
    -->PS1-grey, PS2-black and PS4-white
    -->PSP-the very first fat lady
    -->Sega game gear and Nintendo game boy

Oh Yeah!!!

**PSN-rockurcradle
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular

That was fun, @Brogey and @awsimo! I got nothing too exciting from either raid, but my sister got a vision of confluence from our normal VoG run, so that was great. I hope the other raid team had fun, too!

It was a pleasure. Your sister is hilarious, please always bring her to raids. I got absolutely nothing except Ascendant/Radiant mats, but it was time well spent.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    BillyIdle wrote: »

yeah...

what the fuck?

why? what?

I dont understand why people would do what they did in that vid

I'm not sure what was happening there, but it looks like a couple people ought to wind up perma banned.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    Anyone up for nightfall ps4?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vorpal wrote: »

Will start in 10 mins

I own:

Oh Yeah!!!

**PSN-rockurcradle
  • Options

Will start in 10 mins

Sorry dude we had a third but I can run again with you

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited April 2015
    awsimo wrote: »

It was a pleasure. Your sister is hilarious, please always bring her to raids. I got absolutely nothing except Ascendant/Radiant mats, but it was time well spent.
    Yeah, fun times today. Our Crota run featured tag-team sword bearers. I felt like I was in an ABC Afternoon Special about sharing with your siblings! :P

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options

Will start in 10 mins

Sorry dude we had a third but I can run again with you
    Np ..later.. i got more excited on public event lol

I own:

Oh Yeah!!!

**PSN-rockurcradle
  • Options
    I am done now rock if you want to run it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I am done now rock if you want to run it

Ok..sending invite in 5 mins

I own:

Oh Yeah!!!

**PSN-rockurcradle
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OdDNZcSWdaI
    Omg watch this vid, I would freak

Holy shit, that is some dumbfuckery. I've played alot of pvp but I luckily never seen anything like this.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Having not played this game in a long time, and the expansion coming out and having no interest really , I have to wonder how this game is going to be remembered and the series will do as it goes on. This is still one of the most amazing games I have ever played, but to this day feel like something is missing. I remember after it came out saying to people who were asking about it "It's one of the most amazing games I have ever played. But at times I feel like it's the most flawed game I've ever played. Buy it, but at some point you will get frustrated with it"

And I guess that's the bottom line. I don't think the gunplay has been matched yet. Titanfall never caught on because it was an early xbox one exclusive, but the gunplay was pretty damn solid. Multiply that by 100, and you have destiny. Damn does it feel so good.

But something about the game holds itself back. It's this weird MMO/Action FPS RPG Hybrid, that tries to border the line of MMO subscription fee, Free to play/MMO grind mechanics, and also yearly/multi yearly sequels. It's a very strange business model they're trying to go for. They want to add content like an MMO, but that has monthly subscription revenue, there's the expansions, but they've been too far off for content really.

In reality it was almost a born to fail proposition when you think about it. It's an MMO, without the MMO, with all the things that make an MMO. You have this unique combination of fast paced PVP, and fairly solid Halo like PvE, along with MMO like mechanics and grinds. Bar filling vs CoD. It works in so many ways, yet also clashes somehow, and when you think about it it's way better than it should be. I mean, everything they were trying to do, and combine, and it shouldn't work, but yet it does. Yet somehow, it doesn't exactly meet up to expectations.

Just look at the tower and the social functions, and I gave the tower some slack as it was very PSO like. But then I recently tried the F2P MMO on xbox Neverwinter. And I walked into the main town, and it felt like there was hundreds of players there, and this big, vibrant world. And I couldn't help but think to Destiny, and how empty everything feels. Different games/genres, and all that. But that world has felt vibrant, yet in Destiny I feel alone on the moon.

And I know they're totally different games, and dammit if Destiny doesn't have some of the best gameplay I've ever experienced. And it's very possibly that that is why I'm being overly harsh on it. Every time I play or think of it, I can't help but think it should have been something more.

Yet then again, it's the best 200+ hours I've ever spent on I've had so many complaints about.

*edit* Tounge in cheek with this tldr

TL;DR Has there ever been a game that has tripped over it's own dick more than destiny?

Tommatt on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular

Did you save a guy with the gorgon checkpoint?

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    http://destinydb.com/news/posts/234-xur-agent-of-the-nine-has-arrived-4-17-4-19

Sweet, The Last Word it is! That will complete my exotic weapon collection. Now I just need a Lucky Raspberry and I'll have all the exotic armor. I might pick up Helm of Inmost Light, too, since it's a great stat roll and a big upgrade over my level 30 version.
    Sirialis= wrote: »
    It would've been easier to ask who didn't want to replace jefe414!

That was fun, Brogey and awsimo! I got nothing too exciting from either raid, but my sister got a vision of confluence from our normal VoG run, so that was great. I hope the other raid team had fun, too!

Did you save a guy with the gorgon checkpoint?
    My sister has it, but I forgot to grab it back from her.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for playing guys, tonight definitely confirmed that all the things I thought were great about Destiny are actually just things that are great about the peeps on this board.

@skippymchaggis @Erevar @Darkewolfe @Midnight_god oh, and we also totally confirmed that the most replaceable person in any group is obviously...

@jefe414

Pfft. Like anyone of you could possibly match the random difficulty generator I represent.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    How do people like using Voidfang Vestments?

My Voidbro usually rolls with Obsidian Mind/Bad Juju for maximum explodiness. But I've been doing more PvP lately, and since Inverse Shadow only works in PvE, Obsidian Mind feels kinda worthless in the Crucible. Seems like Voidfang might be a solid alternative...

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

My Voidbro usually rolls with Obsidian Mind/Bad Juju for maximum explodiness. But I've been doing more PvP lately, and since Inverse Shadow only works in PvE, Obsidian Mind feels kinda worthless in the Crucible. Seems like Voidfang might be a solid alternative...

Insatiable perk still works in PvP, so Obsidian Mind is far from useless.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular

I rolled awhile with voidfang in pvp as a sunsinger - constant double fusion grenades is very good.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I use voidfang vest solely in pvp for the instant grenade on respawn, but otherwise obsidian mind is the jam.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    What's the strength for the Helm?

I have one currently that's maxed at 126, and the app shows only the base/no upgrade stats (which is at 117).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Something is gonna be different....maybe you play for fallen agaist the queen...sounds fun!!

.... that's actually a really hard decision to make.

Like, I can see myself fighting for the queen n' all. She's a pretty classy lady.

Then again, fighting against her dick-hole of a brother is also incredibly appealing to me.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Titan is level 18 now. Levelling seems fast, or maybe I just play too much. The grimoire being web based seems....really poor. Would it have killed them to slap a page of text in game for each?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Nocren wrote: »
    What's the strength for the Helm?

I have one currently that's maxed at 126, and the app shows only the base/no upgrade stats (which is at 117).

Max for the HoIL this week is +125 STR. Basically the same as what you have. Still a really good roll (max possible is 128), so I'm going to pick it up.

Also, Xûr's re-roll this week for Achlyophage Symbiote is very good at +125 DIS, and Sunbreakers at +105 INT.

I'm going to hold off on re-rolls for now, though, since House of Wolves is right around the corner and I'm gonna have to upgrade everything anyway. Might as well save those Exotic Shards.

awsimo on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Noob question. I just picked up Destiny for my old PS3. I'm still not sure if I will stick with it but I since I keep hearing this, how should I approach leveling? Do I need to care about Bounties? What guns should I bring into The Crucible as I level? Factions? Halp?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Titan is level 18 now. Levelling seems fast, or maybe I just play too much. The grimoire being web based seems....really poor. Would it have killed them to slap a page of text in game for each?

That's about right, levelling up to 20 is fairly quick. I'll just give you a heads up that the early 20s are a bit of a slog, as you're now working to buy better armor to increase your Light. It's worth it, though, since the best content in the game (Raids, Nightfalls, etc.) become available after level 26.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »

@jefe414

Pfft. Like anyone of you could possibly match the random difficulty generator I represent.

I gave it my best by repeatedly stafing in front of @morgan_coke while he fired rockets into my back and died.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

I use it in pvp (in which I typically Void) and the extra grenade + grenade energy spawn is just too good in comparison to when I wear something else (on the few occasions I play as a Sunwalker, the perks are still too good). It lets me bit much more liberal when it comes to grenade use.

When Iron Banner is around, it seems to me that my grenades are much better; people seem to underestimate the damage a sun orb will do, while axion bolts will take off a significant chunk (bonus points if it kills and you make that person explode?).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »

@jefe414

I gave it my best by repeatedly stafing in front of @morgan_coke while he fired rockets into my back and died.

To be fair, that was hardly your fault.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Noob question. I just picked up Destiny for my old PS3. I'm still not sure if I will stick with it but I since I keep hearing this, how should I approach leveling? Do I need to care about Bounties? What guns should I bring into The Crucible as I level? Factions? Halp?

All solid questions. Destiny isn't always great at explaining itself, so don't be afraid to

Yes, bounties will definitely be helpful, as they award you a big ol' chunk of XP. And many of them can be completed while the story missions you would be doing anyway. Always hit the Tower and pick them up from Xander 99-40 before you do anything else.

If you're under Level 20, leveling is mostly just a matter of earning XP. Turn in Bounties, do strikes and story missions, hit the Crucible if you like PvP. If you have friends who are a higher level, you can team up with them and do missions at a higher difficulty to get some extra XP.

After Level 20 is a different story. At that point, Rare (blue), Legendary (purple), and Exotic (gold) armor has a stat called "Light," and having more cumulative Light raises your level above 20. Thus, the post-20 game is more about collecting better gear to raise your Light. You can start prepping for that phase now by collecting planetary materials like Spinmetal, Spirit Bloom, etc. They might seem worthless now, but you'll be glad you have them when it comes time to upgrade your purples.

In the Crucible, all gear has been balanced out for an even playing field, so even if you're at Level 8 you can still play against a Level 27. Attack rating is evened out as well, so Impact matters much more than Attack. With all gear evened, an Uncommon Scout Rifle and a Legendary Scout Rifle with the same Impact will do about the same damage, regardless of Attack. (Though the Legendary will generally have much better perks).

Impact vs. Attack is kind of obtuse, but basically Impact is the damage per shot, while Attack scales up total damage. I don't know if I'm explaining that well, but I'll point you towards some better guides at the end of this post.

As for Crucible weapons, Auto Rifles and Fusion Rifles have fallen out of favor somewhat, as recent patches have reduced their overall effectiveness (though they still have their adherents). Anything else should serve you well, and conventional FPS wisdom applies (i.e., Hand Cannons and Shotguns for short range, Scout Rifles and Snipers for long range, Pulse Rifles are great at mid-range).

I feel like I rambled a bit, but I hope that helps. Below are some links to much more in-depth guides.

Leveling up to 20

Leveling after 20

Crucible Guide

Edited for stupid grammar errors.

awsimo on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Thanks! I'll check it out later.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
This discussion has been closed.