Options

The [Renting] Thread

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Well I've just told my housemate I'm going to be moving out in 3 months to live with my partner. He wants to have a chat after I get back from work. I don't think he took it too well, he started going on about how he wouldn't be able to afford a holiday if he had to find a new place etc. Not felling good!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Well, you could drag him along in life as the perpetual 3rd wheel.

Or you could let him know most people can't afford to take a trip at all. First world problem him until he grows up and stops guilt tripping a supposed friend and is happy that you're taking the giant leap of moving in with an SO.

Seriously, congrats on that and I hope it all works out for you.

Veevee on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Well I've just told my housemate I'm going to be moving out in 3 months to live with my partner. He wants to have a chat after I get back from work. I don't think he took it too well, he started going on about how he wouldn't be able to afford a holiday if he had to find a new place etc. Not felling good!

I am not sure about your relationship with your housemate, but those problems affect you how...?

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Three months is very generous advance warning. If this guy expects you to put your relationship on hold so he can afford a pure luxury expense, then the one and only thing he deserves is to fuck off.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Pretty sure major life events supersede a vacay.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Well he's suggested she move in with us for a few months essentially giving him until September to sort something out, though in the mean time he'd be looking for a new housemate or other arrangements so we may move out sooner.

The thing is my girlfriend is in a contract on her current house until September and cannot back out of it. The only reason we were thinking about moving in together in July is so that she can escape from her horrible housemates. This would mean that she would still be paying for rent on her current place and I'd cover the full rent of our new place for 3 months or so.

So to move out in July would wipe out all of my savings due to covering both our rents and damage deposits as she wouldn't get hers back till September.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Well he's suggested she move in with us for a few months essentially giving him until September to sort something out, though in the mean time he'd be looking for a new housemate or other arrangements so we may move out sooner.

The thing is my girlfriend is in a contract on her current house until September and cannot back out of it. The only reason we were thinking about moving in together in July is so that she can escape from her horrible housemates. This would mean that she would still be paying for rent on her current place and I'd cover the full rent of our new place for 3 months or so.

So to move out in July would wipe out all of my savings due to covering both our rents and damage deposits as she wouldn't get hers back till September.

Yeah, fuck em. He has 3 months to find a new roommate. I've had to do that in under a week before.

• Options
    Actually, if the space is big enough for all 3, her moving in with you two until all the leases are up wouldn't be a bad idea to save you (and the roommate) some cash. As long as he was ok with still paying half the rent regardless of her being there, that sounds like a fair compromise. Of course, if you don't want to compromise there isn't anything making you and you're well within your rights to say no to it.

But if the place isn't big enough for 3 anyway, fuck him. 3 months is more than plenty of time notice.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Just move in with her and let your roommate deal dude! Cruel to be kind or whatever.

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Why is looking at apartments and stuff stressing me out? It's just looking at listings in apps and stuff. Not websites though. Apparently the realtors in Spokane have yet to fully grasp the usefulness of this "internet" thing people seem to be talking about so much.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Why is looking at apartments and stuff stressing me out? It's just looking at listings in apps and stuff. Not websites though. Apparently the realtors in Spokane have yet to fully grasp the usefulness of this "internet" thing people seem to be talking about so much.

Eh, same is true of SF, actually. When you don't have to modernize, you self-select only the most motivated of renters.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    If I conquer a rich person I get to keep their stuff right?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Metzger, what are you using to search? I fired up padmapper and saw lots of places. What's your search criteria, if you feel like sharing?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Eh, same is true of SF, actually. When you don't have to modernize, you self-select only the most motivated of renters.

They don't modernize in SF because they know they can get two grand for a broom closet in any part of the city.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Metzger, what are you using to search? I fired up padmapper and saw lots of places. What's your search criteria, if you feel like sharing?

I'm in Spokane WA, I need a one bed or a studio that'll allow me and my fiance to live there, preferably for around or under 600 bucks a month. Cheaper if possible. I've never had to look for a home before really so I'm kinda just overwhelmed. I probably won't even be able to move out til the fall.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Nuka & signed our new lease today and got keys to the new apartment.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, try padmapper. I see quite a few studios available!

EDIT: For example, this one bedroom as well

chromdom on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Guys, I need to find a new roommate and am not sure how to get started.

Lease is up Jun 30. I live in Brooklyn. A rapidly gentrifying neighborhood in Brooklyn, so I guess there's a chance that the landlord might try to squeeze me out in order to raise rent, but I don't know if there's anything I can do about that. I don't know if I should hit craigslist and then have that person call my landlord? Alternatively, the realtor I went through to get this place has an office down the street, so I could send people through them? I also am reasonably friendly with some realtors who come into my coffee shop, and I've seen them showing places in my building so I could ask them for some assistance. Just not sure who to send prospects to once I've found them. Help?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Do you need to get the landlord involved, or can you just sublet?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    So since our new apartment is pretty much twice what we've been paying in rent, we filled out an application for SNAP. At the very end, on the final confirmation page, the captcha read-

amount

Way to be an ass Washington state DSHS website captcha plug-in. Yes, we hope we get an amount.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

Lease is up Jun 30. I live in Brooklyn. A rapidly gentrifying neighborhood in Brooklyn, so I guess there's a chance that the landlord might try to squeeze me out in order to raise rent, but I don't know if there's anything I can do about that. I don't know if I should hit craigslist and then have that person call my landlord? Alternatively, the realtor I went through to get this place has an office down the street, so I could send people through them? I also am reasonably friendly with some realtors who come into my coffee shop, and I've seen them showing places in my building so I could ask them for some assistance. Just not sure who to send prospects to once I've found them. Help?

I'd just do Craigslist. A lot of people go there to find rooms to rent. You can invite them over and have a chat with them to see if you mesh and if they're normal. That's how I moved into my current apartment. Meeting roommates over the internet is pretty normal nowadays.

• Options
    Posting from the new apartment!

• Options
    minirhyder wrote: »

I'd just do Craigslist. A lot of people go there to find rooms to rent. You can invite them over and have a chat with them to see if you mesh and if they're normal. That's how I moved into my current apartment. Meeting roommates over the internet is pretty normal nowadays.

To add to this, you have almost two months to find someone. That gives you the luxury of being selective.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Also as far as your landlord goes, I'm assuming you need another name on the lease in order to continue it? In which case let your landlord know of the situation; he will likely have both of you resign a new lease.

• Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    minirhyder wrote: »

To add to this, you have almost two months to find someone. That gives you the luxury of being selective.

Also, try to go to the other guys current place too so that way you know how the prospective roommate currently live after they clean up for company.

• Options
    Drawback to having my desk in the room with a tiled floor-

Every last little noise in here echoes.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Get a rug.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Get a rug.

Problem with rugs is that you never see them on sale.

• Options
    It'll really tie the room together man.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    pimento wrote: »
    Get a rug.

Hate to suggest it, but both walmart and target has really cheap rugs. Both quality and price, but a cheap rug is better than no rug

Veevee on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Get a rug.

Hate to suggest it, but both walmart and target has really cheap rugs. Both quality and price, but a cheap rug is better than no rug

Home depot/Lowes sometimes have rugs on sale.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Get a rug.

pimento's post was a joke, guys. For some reason in Australia in the 2000s there were a couple of different chains of rug shops that were constantly having sales, complete with the requisite t.v. ads proclaiming anywhere between %75-%90 off retail prices on their HUGE RANGE OF RUGS YOU HAVE TO SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT HURRY AND COME IN TO THE STORE WE ARE OVER-STOCKED AND HAVING A LIQUIDATION SALE OH WAIT NO WE'RE CLOSING DOWN NO WAIT WE GOT A DOUBLE SHIPMENT FROM IRAN AND NOW WE HAVE TO SELL SELL SELL THESE BEAUTIFUL RUGS TOP QUALITY AMAZING DESIGNS YOU'LL NEVER SEE PRICES LIKE THIS AGAIN EXCEPT FOR NEXT WEEK WHEN WE HAVE ANOTHER SALE JUST THE SAME AS THIS ONE BEST PRICES IN TOWN BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Somebody visit these properties for me. Put a fork in me because I am fucking done with flat hunting.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    That's not just Australia. They do that a lot in the US too. Pretty much any rug store is in a constant state of closing sales.

Furniture and bedding too.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Get a rug.

Yay, an excuse to link to this gif!

I was kinda hoping that would happen. :)

• Options
    Get a rug.

Yay, an excuse to link to this gif!

I was kinda hoping that would happen. :)

There's a difference between not getting it, and just not caring that it was a joke.

It's like an asteroid coming in, orbiting a few times, then flying away. It's there, I know what it is, but I don't care because it wont hit me.
    Fucking awesome gif though. Gonna have to use that sometime myself

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Even cooler, it probably wasn't an asteroid.
    J002E3 is thought to have been the S-IVB third stage of the Apollo 12 Saturn V rocket (designated S-IVB-507), based on spectrographic evidence consistent with the paint used on the rockets.[1][2] The stage was intended to be injected into a permanent heliocentric orbit in November 1969, but is now believed instead to have gone into an unstable high Earth orbit which left Earth's proximity in 1971 and again in June 2003, with an approximately 40-year cycle between heliocentric and geocentric orbit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J002E3

It wouldn't have meant anything if it had hit us.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    hey guys
    don't rent a basement apartment

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Oh... we don't have rug stores here. At least not ones that run commercials.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Eh I dunno. I had a sweet basement apartment once. Just depends on the quality of construction.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
This discussion has been closed.