Options

Steam Battle 2015

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    I'd like to think that Geth gets strategy. There was literally no down-side to blowing up the opposing pod. All choosing ally did was assure me that the other team got Steam and crew.

Steam. Thread.

Steam thread?

But that's in another entire part of the forum entirely.

:razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Vx4OxaA.jpg
    Jclast's Crew. Round Eleven. Zone 4-13.

Teeman disregarded the blueprints, and the pressure of the situation. If he were going to build a doomsday weapon, where would he put he offswitch? Or at least in this instance, how would one safely open the containment of said device. he also wondered why this called for his Scientific expertise instead of say an Engineer's, but dismissed it as just one of those mysteries you'd have to live with. On the the panel there were dozens of blinking buttons. Any of of them may be the first step he needed to get deeper access or to explode in his face. Not having time to mull it over he picked one at random. Nothing happened, good or bad, so he tried another, and another. Finally as he pushed the vaguely purple on a hatch cover on the rock blew out into the empty space before hitting the barrier and vaporizing. TeeMan crouched down and climbed inside. The interior was spongy and goopy. Almost organic. Had the Steam done this? The heart of the machine rested before him, a swirls of fluids and cables in a pulsing node. If he could just turn this off, the storm surrounding them would dissipate.

On the BAFT, in the engine room, the battery was flickering on and off. The massive pressure of holding open a breach in the barrier was going to blow the system any moment.
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for a Science challenge against difficulty 11
    6 base +3 from crew. +2 for engineering failures.

a Science challenge against difficulty 11:
    1d10+2 3 [1d10=1]

• Options
    edited May 2015
    OMG
    laughing.gif

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Well. That's just one fucking poor turn of luck.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Geth, you've got a sense of humor; I'll give you that.

Will it at least be pretty when we blow up?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    e3xl5fsc3m74.jpg

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Well.....I guess it's a good thing I remembered the hailing frequencies just then. Crikey.
    Edit: So now instead of desperately needing a 10 you desperately need to not roll a 1 now.

Geth for my birthday please make Jclast go boom. Or Fire
    Vx4OxaA.jpg

Teeman disregarded the blueprints, and the pressure of the situation. If he were going to build a doomsday weapon, where would he put he offswitch? Or at least in this instance, how would one safely open the containment of said device. he also wondered why this called for his Scientific expertise instead of say an Engineer's, but dismissed it as just one of those mysteries you'd have to live with. On the the panel there were dozens of blinking buttons. Any of of them may be the first step he needed to get deeper access or to explode in his face. Not having time to mull it over he picked one at random. Nothing happened, good or bad, so he tried another, and another. Finally as he pushed the vaguely purple on a hatch cover on the rock blew out into the empty space before hitting the barrier and vaporizing. TeeMan crouched down and climbed inside. The interior was spongy and goopy. Almost organic. Had the Steam done this? The heart of the machine rested before him, a swirls of fluids and cables in a pulsing node. If he could just turn this off, the storm surrounding them would dissipate.

On the BAFT, in the engine room, the battery was flickering on and off. The massive pressure of holding open a breach in the barrier was going to blow the system any moment.

Glorious.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't delete my draft...I'm gonna leave it there.

a Science challenge against difficulty 11:
    1d10+2 9 [1d10=7]

Madican on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Geth appears to be inadvertently avenging my Lizard Mercenary assisted death.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The prettiest nova of the galaxy!
    FKAsdcd.gif

Centuries later, on a nearby planet...
    i3h1iPP.jpg

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Vx4OxaA.jpg

TeeMan reached into the tangled mess and yanked out the cables and fluid carrying tubes. The interior of the device went dark and quiet. It seemed as if it had worked. Then the entire structure began to vibrate, trembling more and more. The rock itself began to glow with a bright white light. On the bridge of the BAFT the Steam containment unit unexpectedly popped out from the floor. In the engine room the jump engines began to spool up with no input from Mojo or Hit Bit. The sudden shift in power caused the shielding to drop immediately. A wave of heat passing through the vessel was the first sign that they'd just been hit with an incredibly intense dose of radiation. The outer walls of the ship bagn to glow red and drip as the heat overwhelmed them. The Steam containment vessel on the bridge hummed and blinked away as it sent itself somewhere else using the jump drive system.
    Ed Gruberman had a brief moment to ponder that that seemed like a bad sign.

The black stone at the center of a cloud of liquid fire exploded with the force of a super nova. The ensuing wave of destruction obliterated planets as it swept through the solar system in a rolling wave. Tremors from the blast would reach other systems years later.
    Mission done. 3 ship damage taken. 0 hull remains. 0 Steam gained. BAFT destroyed
    Geth roll 2d2
    Geth roll 7d23
    Geth roll 7d23

2d2 3 [2d2=1, 2]
    7d23 80 [7d23=15, 16, 14, 1, 12, 20, 2]
    7d23 94 [7d23=22, 3, 11, 9, 20, 6, 23]

• Options
    @HiT BiT, even after getting blown up you're a treasure.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Geth giveth and taketh away

• Options
    Crew of the BAFT:
    It was an honor to serve with all of you, and I'm sorry that my leadership couldn't see us through to the end. @akajaybay you're a monster for blowing up the coolest ship in the contest.
    Seriously though, thanks for running this - these things are great, and I love reading all the stories.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Duck HUNTED.

Cue Geth laughing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The ensuing wave of destruction obliterated planets as it swept through the solar system in a rolling wave. Tremors from the blast would reach other systems years later.
    Including three gangster planets and a cowboy world!

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    NEVER FORGET - CA-CAW!!

2W8qLsH.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    As Kalnaur sat meditating, reaching his mind into the endless void, his focus was abruptly shaken with great force, as planet after planet was ripped from the weave of life. Focusing and following the explosion back to it's source, he halted for a moment, then smiled just slightly.

"Say hello to bloodatonement and RoyceSraphim for me." he whispered, then resumed his normal meditation.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    - Out in a distant quadrant -

*strings guitar*
    *plays a few licks*

Hmmm..... why do I suddenly feel like playing some Lynyrd Skynyrd?

OOOOOOOOOOH~ and this bird you cannot change!! WHOAoooOOAooooOOAooooooAAAAA!!!

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Had it just at least been a regular failure, the BAFT would have survived limping along with 1 hull left, but safe from future damage to the end.
    Only 4 Steam would have been gained and one crew member would have been incapacitated. But would still probably be able to avoid the crew count penalty in the final round even with one crew member kind of useless.

• Options
    We were so close, but like Icarus before us we had bitchin' wings, flew too close to the sun, and got killed by a god damned robot*.
    * I may not be remembering my college Mythology and Meaning course correctly.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    We were so close, but like Icarus before us we had bitchin' wings, flew too close to the sun, and got killed by a god damned robot*.

Actually, that's closer than most people get. :wink:
    To remembering their classes. Most people don't fly close to the sun because it's insane. :biggrin:

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Ooc. I'd watch that movie. Someone call Michael Bay.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I know the real reason they blew up.
    They didn't have this guy on board:
    sga418mckay.jpg

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I'd like to think that Geth gets strategy. There was literally no down-side to blowing up the opposing pod. All choosing ally did was assure me that the other team got Steam and crew.

Steam. Thread.

More like the Punic Wars than you might think.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    sga418mckay.jpg

Now you're just being silly. Sam's got advantages all over the place: she's a good shot, she's smarter than McKay, and she's not a big stinky whiner. That's like, the trifecta, of TV engineering!
    ats9promo2.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    sga418mckay.jpg

Now you're just being silly. Sam's got advantages all over the place: she's a good shot, she's smarter than McKay, and she's not a big stinky whiner. That's like, the trifecta, of TV engineering!
    ats9promo2.jpg

They seemed to work well together. When McKay wasn't making things largely uncomfortable for the both of them.

But the real question is this:
    does Geth agree because he prefers Sam, or Sam's Replicant double?

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    So fingers crossed for total slaughter of all the other crews then? Pretty gutted to go out with that crit fail, it was such an entertaining ride while it lasted!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    -tivated the device, returning... to. Wait, what? Oh son of a!
    What a gloriously tragic end to an amazing journey! Thanks to @akajaybay, @jclast and the crew of the USS Birds Are Fucking Terrifying for honestly a real highlight of my day for the past few months. My mornings won't be the same without our weekly update and I think this thread will live on in PA legend for years to come! CA-CAWWW!!!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I wish I could both agree and awesome a post. Well said, @TeeMan!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I feel like chicken tonight
    Chicken tonight

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Geth, you're beautiful and I love you.
    Geth, you've got a sense of humor; I'll give you that.

I think that sums up the day.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Perhaps we should have gone with the Phoenix module instead of the Cassowary one.
    You know, phoenix...explosions...big ball of fire...rebirth...

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I initially thought I'd never want to leave the ship because of fear; fear of the outside, fear of the unknown. Turns out, it was in fact because of love. Love that was, surprising even myself, a two-way street.

WELCOME HOME VOLTRON-BIRD BUDDY!

sig.gif
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    BRB calling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe93CLbHjxQ due to Ghost Problems

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d4
    Geth roll 1d4

1d4 2 [1d4=2]
    1d4 3 [1d4=3]

• Options
    Dun dun dun...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoQdiO1.jpg
    Firebird's Crew. Round Eleven. Zone 2-5

Firebird, Jazz, and Soundsplush were on the bridge as they passed by the rings of Celphon. The orbiting band of rocks and dust particles stood out against the planet's purple atmosphere. They'd been tracking down a Steam signal in the area, but had been having trouble pinpointing it's exact location. The crew had gotten a bit bored, despite tensions being high. They'd been wandering around this sector of space without incident for days now.
    A small warning light began to blink on Firebird's console. "A small object is heading towards the ship. Looks like it came out of the ring." The viewscreen put up a enlarged image of the fast moving object. It was small cylindrical spike, the ships weapons systems were having difficulty locking on, and the shots fired went wide. As the object struck the Kissing Her Plenty, the lights on the bridge and all the consoles went dark. Soundsplush looked up, the Captain was gone. The hum of the engines had ceased. Jazz produced a small hand held light and went to the door. The blast doors had sealed them inside. Who knew what was going on out in the rest of the ship.

@Berylline and @Lindsay Lohan were in the middle of a game of battleship when the lights went dark. The ship had a surprising thorough if outdated collection of boardgames. They tried calling the bridge, but the circuits were dead. Berylline found a battery powered lantern in the cabinets and turned it on. A few minutes later, a strange clanking sound was growing nearer and nearer from the hall. A pair of short metallic walking cans came into view in the doorway. The diminutive robot's eyes gleamed red and began to broadcast a loud siren alert. The second one's mouth opened wide and a bright light gleamed for a second before a bolt of energy shot out at Berylline, missing and striking the wall. Down in the pool room, another pair of robots were patroling, looking for any crew members. They didn't notice as the surface of the tomato sauce filled pool rippled gently. @Corsini slowly and quietly emerged, covered in sauce, a knife clenched between the orangutan's teeth.
    Geth roll 1d10+3 for a Martial challenge against difficulty 5

a Martial challenge against difficulty 5:
    1d10+3 10 [1d10=7]

• Options
    edited May 2015
    GoQdiO1.jpg
    Firebird's Crew. Round Eleven. Zone 2-5

Berylline and Lindsay dodged back and forth and ran down the hall. Energy blasts stuck the ground and walls as they blew past. Every direction they went they seemed to run into more of the little robots. They quickly ducked into one of crew quarters and sealed the door behind them. The clanking outside rattled loudly, but was not their most pressing concern, On the bed in the room with them, was another of the robots. It had opened it's jaw and was building a blast up when Corsini crashed down out of a vent from above. The orangutan gabbed the machine by one of its short legs and smashed it repeatedly against the wall until the leg broke loose and the light in its eyes went out.

"What is going on!" Berylline exclaimed. The ships internal speakers perked up with a ship wide broadcast. "Hello? Anyone still out there? This is Jazz, we're trapped on the bridge. Is Lindsay ok? Ok right...yeah...Listen, we've been sealed inside the bridge. Something has welded the doors and access hatches shut. I'm still trying to get access to the ships systems, there's barely anything functioning. But the motion sensors show we've been boarded, and there are a lot of them. There's a concentration in the engine room, and I'm concerned about what's happening in there. If you're still out there an...." With that the speaker went quiet. It had gone quiet outside. Lindsay checked the door, and it refused to open "Ow, it's hot. I think they've sealed us in." With a screech Corsini pointed up the way the security officer had come in. The three of them stuffed themselves into the ceiling vent and progressed as quietly as they could. The machine were everywhere. And they were busy, looking through the vent grates they seemed to be disassembling the ship and various appliances and computers onboard. Lindsay was suddenly reminded of the Does and Don'ts videos at the start of the contest. If they dug too deep would the ship explode?

They couldn't fight them all. If they were going to make it to Engineering undetected they'd have to thin out their numbers somehow.
    Geth roll 1d10+3 for Corsini's Martial challenge vs difficulty 5
    Geth roll 1d10+1 for Lindsay's Engineering challenge vs difficulty 5
    Geth roll 1d10+2 for Berylline's Science challenge vs difficulty 5

Corsini's Martial challenge vs difficulty 5:
    1d10+3 6 [1d10=3]
    Lindsay's Engineering challenge vs difficulty 5:
    1d10+1 2 [1d10=1]
    Berylline's Science challenge vs difficulty 5:
    1d10+2 7 [1d10=5]

akajaybay on
  • Options