As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Brought to you by Prime Minister Lump of Coal

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh what the fuck.

181886-812e6bc4-fb61-11e4-b195-3c90c19063f3.jpg
    PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has reignited a war of words with Premier Daniel Andrews over the scrapped East West Link as he unveiled a “blame Labor” mobile billboard this morning.
    Not the Onion.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Oh what the fuck.

181886-812e6bc4-fb61-11e4-b195-3c90c19063f3.jpg
    PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has reignited a war of words with Premier Daniel Andrews over the scrapped East West Link as he unveiled a “blame Labor” mobile billboard this morning.
    Not the Onion.

Wow, I guess "blame labor" really is the only line they've got.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    The Coalition should just only say "Labor's fault" over and over again during all press conferences, interviews and question time.

Like Steve Ballmer's Developers speech, only "Labor's fault"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8To-6VIJZRE

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    This election is about many things, but in the end, it is a referendum on the East West Link.
    For a guy who bangs on and on about election mandates and doing the job he was elected to do and that the opposition should respect the choice of the people he sure doesn't give a fuck about the choice of the Victorian people.

What a huge fucking insult.

• Options
    Also they're counting the money they're not spending on East West link as a savings in the federal budget while at the same time campaigning for the Victorian government to break their election promise and build it. Talk about having your cake and eating it.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Every time I hear a government minister say "infrastructure" I remember the NBN and feel, what I can only describe as, devastated.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Every time I hear a government minister say "infrastructure" I remember the NBN and feel, what I can only describe as, devastated.

Didn't you see Mad Max? Internet is the past, highways are the future.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/labor-expected-to-back-antipiracy-site-blocking-legislation-20150521-gh6hm6.html
    The federal Labor party is expected to back a bill before parliament that would result in the blocking of websites facilitating piracy, Fairfax Media understands, but only if certain safeguards are agreed to by the Abbott government.

Labor, you spineless godforsaken morons.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Campbell Live here in New Zealand just got the axe. It's a current affairs known for aggressively holding the government to account over numerous social issues including employment, education, child poverty and the earthquake relief effort in Christchurch, amidst allegations of political interference from the new head of the broadcasting company being buddy buddy with the governing party. Especially spurious are the claims that it's being done because of low viewership which holds no water as the ratings for this show are usually on equal with the evening news.

New Zealand loses it's last mainstream media show that will put the screws in on the current government

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Lol. Feeling pretty good about buying a VPN now.

which one do you use?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    NZ budget is out. Haven't had the time (or heart) to really read through it.

Just a quick skim though gave me the impression that they're really trying to nickle and dime money out of random people.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I have this exact feeling every time. Turnbull rubbed salt in the wound when I received a letter from my local member telling me that my suburb is now classified as having the NBN because WiMax is available.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

which one do you use?

PrivateInternetAccess have reasonable prices and good speeds, though since the metadata retention technically applies to them to you need to exit in Hong Kong or Amsterdam. You mostly take a latency hit for things.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular

which one do you use?

PrivateInternetAccess have reasonable prices and good speeds, though since the metadata retention technically applies to them to you need to exit in Hong Kong or Amsterdam. You mostly take a latency hit for things.

Have you heard anything about PureVPN? They have a sale going on now, and their VPN software allows you to specify 'Data Retention Security' as a general connection setting.

They don't fully support OpenVPN yet, though.

工事中
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Abbott logic:

"Think of the children. There's pedophiles in them thar internets!" is a good enough reason to put enormous amounts of resources into spying on people's internet practices and history.
    "Think of the children. There's pedophiles in them thar religious institutions!" isn't a good enough reason to request George Pell to come to Australia and give testament under oath.

I heard some conservative asshole on Jon Faine this morning saying that "unsubstantiated rumours" weren't enough of a reason for Pell to come and give testimony to the Royal Commission. These unsubstantiated rumours by the way, were sworn testimony from multiple witnesses.
    The prime minister said it was his understanding that Pell in his written statement had agreed to reappear, but it was “ultimately a matter for him” whether the cardinal returned to Australia.

• Options
    When you are potentially implicated in the mass cover-up of multiple rapes and sexual assaults, involving alleged bribes and intimidation, why do you get to choose whether to appear before a commission or not? He shouldn't be politely encouraged to testify at the royal commission, he should be extradited.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular

which one do you use?

Wait what? I have PIA and i thought since they don't keep logs at all that it was safe from data retention?

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Morblitz wrote: »

which one do you use?

Wait what? I have PIA and i thought since they don't keep logs at all that it was safe from data retention?

At the moment yes. The problem is it's going to be a real short hop between requiring ISPs to do it and a law suit which technically classifies them as being ISP-like enough. Conversely by the letter of the law, there's no way to legally go after overseas exit points nor any practical way to do it.

EDIT: Hong Kong and San Francisco are where the PIPE fiber cables terminate anyway, so the for majority of the internet you're capped by the proxy bandwidth and not anything else.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    In other news Dutton is literally blaming Shorten on Asylum seekers. By not saying "the government is right" people smugglers are emboldened to load up they boats.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    So following a Labor crackdown on welfare fraud, and a Liberal crackdown previously, they're setting up yet another taskforce (they really love taskforces) to do the same thing again.
    "We think that up to $1 billion a year can be defrauded because people are not being upfront about their income, so it's important that we ensure that people are being straight with us," he said.
    One billion dollars. Uh huh. Whatever you say, dudes.

Relevant quote from our actual goddamn opposition party:
    Greens senator Rachel Siewert said it was ironic the taskforce was announced in the same week it was revealed that half the calls to Centrelink have not been answered and addressed.

Ms Siewert said the Centrelink system was overly complex and most of the errors that occur are administrative mistakes by Centrelink staff or genuine mistakes by recipients.

"The Government's choosing to address this as fraud rather than addressing the complexity of the system, acknowledging that the system is failing and choosing to blame income support recipients," she said.

Suriko on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Can't wait to go into Centrelink for a third time in as many months to confirm that yes, I do have a diagnosis for my DSP. Yes, I do work one day a week. Ok, thank you bye.

What's even more bullshit is last time I found the letter with the appointment time on it on the same day as the appointment.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    My girlfriend has an anxiety condition and is constantly exhausted with the stress of Uni. She doesn't drive, I do. Except I'm doing a clinical masters degree and am busy all the time so I'm often unable to drive her to appointments and the like. She was summoned in to centrelink for a meeting once - and I'm sure everyone knows what happens if you miss those meetings. They turn your payment off and drop it like a hot potato.

So she forced herself in, waited the hour it takes to be seen, only to be told that the automatic summons she was sent for that date and time was an ERROR and she did not actually have to come in that day because she was only in a fucking fortnight before that.

However, as annoying and incompetent as centrelink can be. Whenever I tell my friends from America that I get paid (albeit not much) to study, they think Australia is full of Vegemite and Unicorns.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    I wonder if the government has considered the court costs of prosecuting the thousands of backpackers who will now tax dodge the living fuck out of Australia while they're here.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Not to mention Abbott's whole 'if you can't find a job, you can do four weeks work experience!"
    I'm sure that won't result in every single company hiring people for 'work experience', ditching them, finding more people for 'work experience' and repeating ad nauseum. As it is, bars in Cairns hire people on a three day trial peroid, let them go, and find someone new that same day. Four weeks without pay is just free fucking labor.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Warcry wrote: »
    Not to mention Abbott's whole 'if you can't find a job, you can do four weeks work experience!"
    I'm sure that won't result in every single company hiring people for 'work experience', ditching them, finding more people for 'work experience' and repeating ad nauseum. As it is, bars in Cairns hire people on a three day trial peroid, let them go, and find someone new that same day. Four weeks without pay is just free fucking labor.

You say that like it's not an intended effect.

Literally.
    Abbott made the comments during an address to the Queensland Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday morning, where he was highlighting a new initiative which allowed people who have been unemployed for more than six months to work for a private enterprise for a month before losing the dole benefits.

“That person can do up to four weeks of work experience with your business, with a private sector business, without losing unemployment benefits so it gives you a chance to have a kind of try-before-you-buy look at unemployed people,” Abbott said. “What we have permitted for the first time in this budget is, if you like, real work for the dole. Work in a business for the dole,” he said.

Edit: Oh, and when called out on it, pretty much told anyone offended to go fuck themselves because, hey, business was fine with it.

Suriko on
  • Options
    KharnorKharnor Registered User regular
    That scheme is slavery
    literal slavery

Doing actual work for an actual company that needs work done is called being employed and you do it because they pay you
    If you're unemployed under this scheme it's not because you can't find work, it's because employing you is no longer necessary

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    $37 dollars a day is what you get on newstart. Unless that gets boosted to reward wage for the work they're doing:
    The liberals can FUCK. RIGHT. OFF.

• Options
    Greens: So that gay marriage thing? Debate on June 18, vote in November. Hang on to-

Labor: COMING MONDAY, MOTHERFUCKERS

Not as great as it sounds, unfortunately, as Labor will be doing a conscience vote rather than a binding party vote. Even if the LNP allow a conscience vote as well (which I'd put as 50/50 at best), it's unlikely it'd pass going by recent articles. That said, the Irish referendum may sway some who are on the fence.

Leave it to Hockey to lead the Liberal Party forward:
    All in all, quite a performance, and Hockey ended with an attempt at a joke, citing the Vatican - "There's no women in the Vatican apparently" - as a companion state to Australia in holding out on same-sex marriage. He guffawed like he'd zinged it for Australia.
    A literal theocracy. That's, uh... that's great company, there. Yup.

• Options
    I'm very unhappy about multinationals missing the $18000 tax free threshold. Let alone them paying tax UP TO $80000. This will hit backpackers hard, and the thing about backpackers is they earn the money and immediately spend it within the month, and they spend it on small businesses. Cutting their income by 30% is a huge blow and a lot of people will see that and turn right the fuck around and travel somewhere else.
    I fucking love hostelling and I see every time I go how much many of them are struggling to feed themselves at times. This is going to send a lot of good people, who do good rural work, right the fuck home.
    The federal budget proposed removing the tax-free threshold for those on working holiday visas, forcing them to pay at least $32.5 per cent tax on every dollar then earned.

Matthew Simpson, owner of a labour hire company at Mildura in north-west Victoria, said the local farming industry relied on thousands of these workers to pick and prune fruit properties each year, but travellers, on seeing what was proposed, were now planning to go to places like Canada and New Zealand instead.

"The damage in many ways is already done," he said. "Because the hot topic now in Korea is 'do not go to Australia, do not go to Australia, tax is going to kill you. You are not going to be able to eat, survive, live.'

"So they're not going to come here."

Mr Simpson said it used to be the "golden egg and promised land" for travellers and workers to come to Australia and work, travel and learn English, but this has changed everything.

You called it! Step right up for your prize. The prize is sadness.

• Options
    Leave it to Hockey to lead the Liberal Party forward:
    All in all, quite a performance, and Hockey ended with an attempt at a joke, citing the Vatican - "There's no women in the Vatican apparently" - as a companion state to Australia in holding out on same-sex marriage. He guffawed like he'd zinged it for Australia.
    A literal theocracy. That's, uh... that's great company, there. Yup.
    what

is this even english? What does he even think he is saying?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I'm very unhappy about multinationals missing the $18000 tax free threshold. Let alone them paying tax UP TO $80000. This will hit backpackers hard, and the thing about backpackers is they earn the money and immediately spend it within the month, and they spend it on small businesses. Cutting their income by 30% is a huge blow and a lot of people will see that and turn right the fuck around and travel somewhere else.
    I fucking love hostelling and I see every time I go how much many of them are struggling to feed themselves at times. This is going to send a lot of good people, who do good rural work, right the fuck home.
    The federal budget proposed removing the tax-free threshold for those on working holiday visas, forcing them to pay at least $32.5 per cent tax on every dollar then earned.

Matthew Simpson, owner of a labour hire company at Mildura in north-west Victoria, said the local farming industry relied on thousands of these workers to pick and prune fruit properties each year, but travellers, on seeing what was proposed, were now planning to go to places like Canada and New Zealand instead.

"The damage in many ways is already done," he said. "Because the hot topic now in Korea is 'do not go to Australia, do not go to Australia, tax is going to kill you. You are not going to be able to eat, survive, live.'

Mr Simpson said it used to be the "golden egg and promised land" for travellers and workers to come to Australia and work, travel and learn English, but this has changed everything.

Feels soooo good to be right.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Feels soooo good to be right.

you're going to want to link that gif

Trace on
  • Options
    Ok but so are you :-P

• Options
    BloodyTriedBloodyTried Registered User regular
    Quick question how on Earth did this current government get into power?
    The countries population of gullible boomer voters certainly helped

• Options
    Tony abbot had a picture of himself surfing in the paper and that's the only qualification you need

then he blamed labor

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Labor were so shitty that people actually thought "the Liberals are probably better than this."

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Labor were so shitty that people actually thought "the Liberals are probably better than this."

I've always detested this line of thinking since A: I used to believe it myself, and B: look what it's done to the UK.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    For sure there always was a large amount of Liberal supporters to begin with, but the Labor leadership shenanigans helped tip the balance.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Quick question how on Earth did this current government get into power?
    The countries population of gullible boomer voters certainly helped

1) Labor's leadershop woes doomed them. Above everything else, this is what caused it.
    2) The Liberals had a great media messaging strategy, portraying a sense of consistency, strength, and playing on fears over the debt.
    3) Labor had a last-minute lurch to the right to try and poach LNP voters, especially on refugees, which just made them look inconsistent on policy.
    4) "We won't cut education." "We won't cut health." "We won't cut the ABC or SBS." "We won't raise taxes." the usual LNP magical money tree approach to revenue.
    5) The media.
    jFORQbg.jpg

Suriko on
  • Options
    I feel like the top right front page makes it look like Rudd stabbed that woman 31 times.

This discussion has been closed.