As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't find DNS

Corrosive MonkeyCorrosive Monkey Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
once again I need help, and I hope someone here can.

I have my 360 connected using windows ICS and my computer says that the internet and lan are connected, but my 360 cannot connect to live and when I run the troubleshooter, it fails to connect to the DNS servers, can anyone shed some light on this?

Corrosive Monkey on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dumb question, but did you set DNS in ICS?

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Seems like I hadn't, I went into the settings, and ticked the DNS box, all of them were white, are there any others I need to tick?

Corrosive Monkey on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    How's your ICS setup working? How are you getting internet to the computer, and then to the xbox? ICS is real iffy with the 360. I had a lot of trouble setting it up myself. Give a complete breakdown from the internet connection to the 360, and I might be able to shed a little light.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I have my router, and to that is connected two computers, mine is connected wirelessly to it, the other wired. Then I have the 360 off of my computer, using an ethernet cable from the back into the 360. To configure ICS I just ticked the box in the settings of the internet connection that allows sharing and in the settings I ticked the box to do with DNS. Also I have exempt the lan connection from the firewall, and I am running Media Centre if that matters.

Corrosive Monkey on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have my router, and to that is connected two computers, mine is connected wirelessly to it, the other wired. Then I have the 360 off of my computer, using an ethernet cable from the back into the 360. To configure ICS I just ticked the box in the settings of the internet connection that allows sharing and in the settings I ticked the box to do with DNS. Also I have exempt the lan connection from the firewall, and I am running Media Centre if that matters.

It sounds like a perfect setup. The only think I can figure is that the 360 hates a bridge, which is what it's thinking your pc is. It loves it's own wireless adapter, but it's seeing an aftermarket one that it doesn't like. It might be giving you a dns error, but it could be something else. For me it was mtu failure. Your setup sounds right though, so I don't know what could be causing it. Is the IP and DNS option on the 360 set to automatic or did you set it to the comp dns connection? if you're sharing dns and its ticked you may have to input that into the 360.

Also, be prepared for some pretty bad lag once you go wireless with the box. You can play, just try not to host.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Demon LemonDemon Lemon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have roughly the same problem, connecting to Live results in a DNS failure.
    Using wireless router to a modem, thing is i'm not sure what to do next as the computer the modem is connected to is a mac.

Demon Lemon on
    logo.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I have just disbled the ICS and bridged the connection between my computer and the 360, and that appears to have worked

Corrosive Monkey on