Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I was hoping for a hybrid approach where you could still perform backup-to-disk for differentials and use tapes for offsite backups. That's the problem we ran into. The idea of using VTL is nice, but what do you do for offsite DR? We felt like we're in between, so unless we totally commit to using disk-based local backups and cloud-based for offsite storage, we didn't see much of a point to moving that way. Otherwise, we'd just be backing up to disk so that we can later backup to tape; that didn't make much sense to us for the situation we're in.
    We use EMC NetWorker, and I'm pretty happy with the approach we use. I have a bog-standard Windows Server with a massive RAID set (just setup as an advanced filetype device--not VTL), which is where every backup (weekly full and daily incremental) goes first. And then early on Tuesday morning, all completed savesets get cloned to a directly-attached LTO6 tape library via a scheduled clone process (fairly new in NetWorker). The tapes are sent off to a safe-deposit box. The on-disk savesets are used for quick restores, and the tapes are there in case the whole system fails (we have a disaster recovery NetWorker server and tape unit at another site).

My eventual goal is to replace the internal storage with a DataDomain device (primarily for the deduplication capabilities), and then mirror that DD to the other site. I still like the idea of having a tape backup for one major reason: security. If both copies are accessible via the network, I could easily delete/destroy both copies of the backups, which mean another disgruntled admin could. Having a copy physically offline elsewhere prevents that to some extent. Sure, if someone planned it well, they could easily ensure that the tape is messed up, but we rotate two tapes weekly among 60 or so, plus offline year-ends.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Hmm, I was hoping to do it without deleting my entire browsing history, but I guess that's the only way.

It's just going to kill your autocomplete history, not your browsing history. I know that's cold comfort. At least when you visit the site you WANT the first time, your autocomplete should populate with it. I don't believe MS allows that file/db thing to be edited line by line though.
    Nope, it only brings up the regular browsing, temp files, cookies, etc deletion menu.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Wonder if anyone here can help me with an IE annoyance.
    I've got a bunch of URLs for a site in my history that won't go away. It's a site I develop so it's got a bunch of localhost entries as well as the old server it's on, and I'd like to remove them so that only the current one is there.
    When the autocomplete pops up, I delete them from it, but they're there the next time I try.
    When the autocomplete shows up, arrow down then hit CTRL + DEL.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I've got a bunch of URLs for a site in my history that won't go away. It's a site I develop so it's got a bunch of localhost entries as well as the old server it's on, and I'd like to remove them so that only the current one is there.
    When the autocomplete pops up, I delete them from it, but they're there the next time I try.

I had no idea about this but I think you're looking for SHIFT+DEL? I just tried it and CTRL did nothing, but Shift + del was able to clear things out of the url dropdown line by line.

• Options
    @IcyLiquid it was suggested in some thread somewhere that we need a WITNESS and a MEDIOCRE button on the forums now. Make this happen.

• Options

I had no idea about this but I think you're looking for SHIFT+DEL? I just tried it and CTRL did nothing, but Shift + del was able to clear things out of the url dropdown line by line.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well

Shit.

• Options
    Anyway, something was probably screwed up in my profile, and clearing the history cleared it up. I do most of my browsing in FireFox anyway, and most of the important stuff I used IE for had a favorite already.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah, you're right. I wasn't at a PC when I was writing that.
    And my reading comprehension is apparently not good while watching playoff hockey. My bad

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @IcyLiquid ,

Since linkedin is super creepy and decided we should be friends, congrats on those promotions you got man.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    @IcyLiquid ,

Since linkedin is super creepy and decided we should be friends, congrats on those promotions you got man.

Stalker

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Well thats super interesting and weird. But thanks dude.

• Options
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Well thats super interesting and weird. But thanks dude.

Hey it's been telling me to connect to Tube for like 2 years at this point.

Change of scenery is always good!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Tube *is* pretty much scenery at this point.

• Options
    :snap:

• Options
    I fucking loathe LinkedIn

• Options

Larger companies use it for jobs.

Pretty swell if you want to work at places like lockheed or whatever.

• Options

My wife takes part in a lot of their forum/discussion group things there, and there are some fucking bonkers crazy people posting on their forums. Like well above and beyond the average level of internet derp.

• Options

My wife takes part in a lot of their forum/discussion group things there, and there are some fucking bonkers crazy people posting on their forums. Like well above and beyond the average level of internet derp.

What'd you expect from upper management?

• Options

:(

• Options
    IcyLiquid wrote: »

:(

Maybe "MBAs" is how I'd describe them.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

My mind is literally awash with possibilities.

Is it horribly inappropriate and personal stuff about their subordinates?
    Is it horribly racist/sexist/homophobic/other politically incorrect stuff?
    Is it cluelessly privileged comments about the poor?
    Is it terrible work ideas?

Like, yes, bonkers crazy derp, but what flavour?!

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

My mind is literally awash with possibilities.

Is it horribly inappropriate and personal stuff about their subordinates?
    Is it horribly racist/sexist/homophobic/other politically incorrect stuff?
    Is it cluelessly privileged comments about the poor?

Is it terrible work ideas?

Like, yes, bonkers crazy derp, but what flavour?!

You're pretty much on the mark there. People don't talk about their jobs as such on the forums. They have discussion groups for almost everything.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Also, 98% of the time, I get along with printers just fine, but that 2% of the time that they DONT work and I can't figure it out, I want to open up the lid and take a shit on the fuser.

Cog on
  • Options
    They need to make printer tech so it's easy as fuck to fix them.

Maybe make all the components be cheap and on the toner piece themselves?

This way as you replace toner you replace all the moving parts of the printer.

Would be an interesting concept.

I'd all be for the 20% markup if it meant I never had to deal with fuser or rollers again.

• Options
    They need to make printer tech so it's easy as fuck to fix them.

Maybe make all the components be cheap and on the toner piece themselves?

This way as you replace toner you replace all the moving parts of the printer.

Would be an interesting concept.

I'd all be for the 20% markup if it meant I never had to deal with fuser or rollers again.
    1. That would make sense; stop that
    2. How else will they get you to buy new printers if you keep fixing the ones you own
    3. They already make printers with very cheap parts that constantly break
    4. I don't know of any printer in the previous 10 years that lasts like they used to; you're lucky if you get 4 years now

• Options
    We should design it and kickstarter that shit.

Anyone good with printer designs?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    funny you talk about printers because for most of the last 2 days all I've done is dealt with fucking obscure printer problems all with different resolutions.

The best one was we had 4 users of about 10 that print to a specific printer on a regular basis where anything they printed out of the office suite would put their username, minus the first 3 characters, dead smack in the middle of the page Only happened in office apps, not other apps, and not for every user. Not related to a windows update as it started well after the last set we pushed. solution was to change the driver on the server. :rotate:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

I can draw you a picture of a pickle with wings. Will that work?

• Options

We could probably do a kickstarter about pickling. Might be easier.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    https://youtu.be/yYey8ntlK_E

...also fuck printers

Le_Goat on
  • Options

I'll take a shit on the fuser.

Are we doing this right?

• Options
    My shit will definitely fuse to paper better than the crappy fusers printer companies use.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You want a reliable printer? Get one with a maintenance contract.
    Not only is the manufacturer incentivised to make it last because they have to fix it if shit breaks, but they have to fix it if shit breaks. As in, not you!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options

I'll take a shit on the fuser.

Are we doing this right?
    Yes. For those that are still uncertain, please see the below diagram:
    qegq5zicluyz.jpg

• Options
    That looks exactly like me.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    That looks exactly like me.

The guy is an art savant.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago I dug out a Laserjet 4 just because I know those things will never break down.

A few days ago I actually saw my first PC LOAD LETTER error

I laughed.

I still haven't replaced the printer because I think it's funny. Nobody at the reception desk can print but I really don't give a fuck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Admins who set up network printers not on a print server can burn. One client has a printer with jobs stuck it in from somewhere but since it's installed manually on every workstation they can't figure out who the job belongs to. Now we have to send someone on site to go to each system and restart the print spooler.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Why are we talking about making better printers and not just increasingly brutal ways to belittle anyone who wants to print anything?

This discussion has been closed.