Options

[chat] it to the Man

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Elendil wrote: »
    pro wrestling is the weirdest thing ever produced by human culture

i don't understand it

i don't understand it even a little bit

That guy who directed that stuff and has that weird face and punchable voice made a thing about HHH with lots of waifu (3d tho :() playing the wrestlers.

He precedes it by talking about how it's actually a show about a show and has a whole other way of looking at it that sounds... sort of plausible.

It is good and sort of hilarious even if you, like us, are immune to the charm of sports entertainment.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

i don't understand it

A long long time ago it was realised that people would pay to watch other people fight. Not long after someone realised that if you faked the fights to avoid injuries you could have people fight more often and make more money.

Fast forward a couple thousand years or so and they don't even bother pretending it's real now because people will pay for it anyway.
    the narrative tho...

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i didn't watch the sequels did robocop ever find his wife

or at least make out with the cute lady cop

Did he ever switch to a USB port?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Because if there's on thing I don't miss about early 90s computing, it's the giant spike port.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    Because if there's on thing I don't miss about early 90s computing, it's the giant spike port.
    spoken like someone who never needed to upload some kickass into a criminal's neck

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

i don't understand it

A long long time ago it was realised that people would pay to watch other people fight. Not long after someone realised that if you faked the fights to avoid injuries you could have people fight more often and make more money.

Fast forward a couple thousand years or so and they don't even bother pretending it's real now because people will pay for it anyway.
    the narrative tho...

Started out as making crowds hate one guy and like another so they'd pay to watch every time they fought in the hopes of seeing guy they like beat up guy they hate.

This has since evolved into the writers being the guys they hate, and people paying to watch in the hopes of seeing something that makes sense or is interesting for once.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

i don't understand it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtzGgmMiN_o

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

No, and the sequels are garbage. 2 tries to be a film of merit but was written by Frank Miller and is just really mean-spirited and gross and x-treem in a way that, in retrospect, clearly prefigured the obsessions of 90s trash culture.

3 was just your everyday crappy one-notch-above-straight-to-video cash-in.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I like Row Boat Cop

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

No, and the sequels are garbage. 2 tries to be a film of merit but was written by Frank Miller and is just really mean-spirited and gross and x-treem in a way that, in retrospect, clearly prefigured the obsessions of 90s trash culture.

and here i was thinking it was the third generation that devolves into finding themselves with an english degree

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Jetpack Robocop vs Ninjas

Can you get any more early 90s?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    5s82qS4.jpg

• Options

i don't understand it

intriguing

will watch

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    “The first generation works their fingers to the bone. Second generation goes to college and innovates new ideas. The third generation goes snowboarding and takes improv classes.” --Jack Donaghy

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain." --John Adams

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    If pro wrestling wants me to give a shit, then I demand no less than literally armageddon.

Then I'd buy front row tickets!

• Options

i don't understand it

This is the video of which I spake

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    John Adams would be so sad if he saw the internet today.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Why would anyone trust theon greyjoy?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I think you mean Therin Greydude

And this is the chat thread.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Why would anyone trust theon greyjoy?

He makes pretty speeches.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

i don't understand it

More they found out what people really want is soap-opera they can feel manly and unashamed to watch.

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    my moment of "...why did I not get that?" today: stumbled on what "revenge is a dish best served cold" means

like, I'd heard it before and not really connected it to anything; maybe I passively and mistakenly took it to be "you should coldly execute your revenge schemes"

hasn't really hindered my life

but now I know

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    my moment of "...why did I not get that?" today: stumbled on what "revenge is a dish best served cold" means

like, I'd heard it before and not really connected it to anything; maybe I passively and mistakenly took it to be "you should coldly execute your revenge schemes"

but now I know
    Like gazpacho

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Neco wrote: »
    If pro wrestling wants me to give a shit, then I demand no less than literally armageddon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCH2V0kIdQ

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

i don't understand it

so it's simultaneously pandering to and trolling the audience

interesting

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlCH2V0kIdQ

I should've fucking known :P

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

but now I know

It makes more sense in the original Klingon.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I don't even remember what Robocop was about (aside from the obvious).

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    robocop is about a man saying bitches leave

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Really though wrestling is best when it doesn't completely forget that an athletic competition is part of the setting.

Basically it's best when it's Lesnar v Angle in a 1 hour ironman match on smackdown.

Lesnar pulls the greatest heel move ever.

In an ironman match you win by having scored the most falls at the end of the time limit. After each fall there's a two minute break before it restarts.

Lesnar spends two minutes beating the shit out of Angle with a chair, surrendering one fall by disqualification, then easily pins him twice to get the lead.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't even remember what Robocop was about (aside from the obvious).

Man is the real monster.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    crazy ending to tonight's got episode

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    A new study from Princeton spells bad news for American democracy—namely, that it no longer exists.

Asking "[w]ho really rules?" researchers Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page argue that over the past few decades America's political system has slowly transformed from a democracy into an oligarchy, where wealthy elites wield most power.

Using data drawn from over 1,800 different policy initiatives from 1981 to 2002, the two conclude that rich, well-connected individuals on the political scene now steer the direction of the country, regardless of or even against the will of the majority of voters.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/princeton-experts-say-us-no-longer-democracy

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

but now I know

Actually, it's much simpler. Revenge is a vichyssoise.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

but now I know

Also revengence is a dish best served mashed.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    The Robocop sequels are an amazing example of quality drop off.

• Options
    The thing that always gets me about Wrestling is when you have someone like The Rock. Who is literally hewn from granite. And then you have someone like Mankind/Dudelove/Mick Foley and they pretend that there's any way that The Rock wouldn't dance all over Foley's face.

Or like ...Jerry the King Lawler vs Shaun Michaels or Diesel, if you want to look back in time.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    A new study from Princeton spells bad news for American democracy—namely, that it no longer exists.

Asking "[w]ho really rules?" researchers Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page argue that over the past few decades America's political system has slowly transformed from a democracy into an oligarchy, where wealthy elites wield most power.

Using data drawn from over 1,800 different policy initiatives from 1981 to 2002, the two conclude that rich, well-connected individuals on the political scene now steer the direction of the country, regardless of or even against the will of the majority of voters.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/princeton-experts-say-us-no-longer-democracy
    That IS a pretty crazy way to end a GOT episode.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also i am bed

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.