Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Yet to see anything that makes me not excited to try DK!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    I wonder if there is any retroactive cross classing, like CNJ getting an Astro skill.

No, as those are jobs, not classes.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    How does gardening work? I just got my chocobo and would like to tint it towards dark gray or black. I couldn't find any O'Ghomoro Berries on the market, but maybe I just looked at a bad time.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    I like that the tank stance is named Grit.

Could only be made better if it was called True Grit. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    How does gardening work? I just got my chocobo and would like to tint it towards dark gray or black. I couldn't find any O'Ghomoro Berries on the market, but maybe I just looked at a bad time.

So Gardening is only accessible if you have an FC house or a personal house (Both of which are prohibitively expensive). At our FC house we preiodically set up the garden to grow Chocobo feed and sell it to FC members at 500 gil a pop (This is typically a fraction of the market board price and used primarily to cover the cost of soil and time involved in gardening). We usually have a fair amount of the fruits on hand and any officer can sell them (You can check Tab 3 of the FC chest in the house to see the current stock) but if we are low or you need more of a particular type just let us know and we'll cycle it into the next garden cycle.

We typically use the Garden to grow Thavnarian Onions which is a very long and very involved process but the Onions can be sold for a decent price which helps fill out the FC coffers. Because of this we have a couple people who have donated their personal house gardens to the cause so we can provide fruit and other items without disrupting the Onion growth.

For more information on gardening in general check out: http://www.ffxivgardening.com/

I should also note you have to unlock the ability to feed your chocobo (Feeding is done at a chocobo stable which can only be placed on an FC or personal house as well) This site has a good list of what stuff is locked behind what level/content. Most thing in FFXIV require a certain level to access so if you are ever curious "When can I do ___________" just assume it's level locked.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    So some more info is coming to light via Japanese interviews.

AF2 gear is < ilvl 170
    ilvl 170 will be the Darklight equivalent for 3.0
    Crafted gear won't come until patch 3.05
    Alexander (Hard) gear will look identical to Alexander (normal) gear but will be dyeable.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    From the Reddit thread Dark Knight is cross classing Gladiator and Marauder. Astrologian is Conjurer and Thaumaturge. Didn't see Machinist but the first 2 are pretty much as expected.

Edit: I am blind Machinist is Archer and Lancer.

Then I'm already prepared.

Hooray!

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

AF2 gear is < ilvl 170
    Alexander (Hard) gear will look identical to Alexander (normal) gear but will be dyeable.
    Hmmm, so the base level 60 gear should be 150-155?
    Meaning if you're in i130 you should probably be able to deal with a good chunk of the expac before upgrading.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

AF2 gear is < ilvl 170
    Hmmm, so the base level 60 gear should be 150-155?
    Meaning if you're in i130 you should probably be able to deal with a good chunk of the expac before upgrading.

Give or take yeah, they had mentioned before that ilvl 130 gear should get you up to around lvl 55 comfortably.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Update on the Dark Knight "Living Dead" move.

So the way it works is that you put a buff on yourself that lasts for 15-20 seconds. If you take lethal damage during that buff you get a new buff that lasts for 10 seconds. If you are healed to 100% while that buff is active you'll survive. If you don't, you die. So basically it's similar to Holmgang but it triggers when the Dark Knight "dies" which then gives him 10 secs of not dying.

Pretty cool mechanic :D

Dark Knight's also get an ability where they place a buff on a party member and if that member dies the Dark Knight get's 20% HP and MP back.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I wonder if you go into negative HP and they have to heal the full amount, or if you have to go back from 0.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Update on the Dark Knight "Living Dead" move.

So the way it works is that you put a buff on yourself that lasts for 15-20 seconds. If you take lethal damage during that buff you get a new buff that lasts for 10 seconds. If you are healed to 100% while that buff is active you'll survive. If you don't, you die. So basically it's similar to Holmgang but it triggers when the Dark Knight "dies" which then gives him 10 secs of not dying.

Pretty cool mechanic :D

Dark Knight's also get an ability where they place a buff on a party member and if that member dies the Dark Knight get's 20% HP and MP back.

Finally a reason to take a Dragoon along!
    I kid, I kid.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I wonder if you go into negative HP and they have to heal the full amount, or if you have to go back from 0.

You stay at 0,you don't go into negatives (this is the same as holmgang), basically once you die the 10 sec timer starts. If at any point during that 10 secs you are healed to 100%, the buff goes away and you proceed as normal. If not and the buff ticks off, you die regardless of your current hp.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    I like that the tank stance is named Grit.

Could only be made better if it was called True Grit. :razz:

Feels like DRK is more spite fueled than Warriors.

This pleases me.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular

Hrm, a whole new reason to sacrifice Lalafels to the pony gods.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Ok, so if I understand that Astrologian draw system correctly, the draws are randomized, and they can store 1 good draw away at a time. They can reshuffle if they get a bad draw (AKA the very last card on the list). However since you said that the Reshuffle ability has a hefty cooldown, it looks like they really intend for you to just use what you draw in most situations -- except of course if you get the bad draw or in extreme outlier situations where you need literally anything else other than what you just drew, and a random redraw is worth changing your "hand."

Thinking of things from a 4man party perspective, most of your heals will go on the tank. That means most of those buffs will end up on the tank as well. I guess if you pop the damage boost effect, you might drop a heal on a Ninja or Monk or something just to boost their DPS, but largely it seems most of those will go to the tank by nature of the fact that the tank is who will take most damage in light parties.

In larger sized parties with multiple tanks, more AOE, and etc, it seems like the Astrologian will really need to pick their targets much more strategically. Let's say an AOE lands on the party, you have 5 injured targets, you're gonna have to pick who to heal first, and that choice will largely be weighted by the bonus effect.

Do we know anything about AOE Heals for Astrologian? Will they be able to cross-class Medica or have their own version of it?

What about while they are in "Scholar Stance." Do their card effects change, or are the cards the same no matter what?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    From the Reddit thread Dark Knight is cross classing Gladiator and Marauder. Astrologian is Conjurer and Thaumaturge. Didn't see Machinist but the first 2 are pretty much as expected.

Edit: I am blind Machinist is Archer and Lancer.

Then I'm already prepared.

Hooray!

So am I!

But DRK comes first.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok, so if I understand that Astrologian draw system correctly, the draws are randomized, and they can store 1 good draw away at a time. They can reshuffle if they get a bad draw (AKA the very last card on the list). However since you said that the Reshuffle ability has a hefty cooldown, it looks like they really intend for you to just use what you draw in most situations -- except of course if you get the bad draw or in extreme outlier situations where you need literally anything else other than what you just drew, and a random redraw is worth changing your "hand."

Thinking of things from a 4man party perspective, most of your heals will go on the tank. That means most of those buffs will end up on the tank as well. I guess if you pop the damage boost effect, you might drop a heal on a Ninja or Monk or something just to boost their DPS, but largely it seems most of those will go to the tank by nature of the fact that the tank is who will take most damage in light parties.

In larger sized parties with multiple tanks, more AOE, and etc, it seems like the Astrologian will really need to pick their targets much more strategically. Let's say an AOE lands on the party, you have 5 injured targets, you're gonna have to pick who to heal first, and that choice will largely be weighted by the bonus effect.

Do we know anything about AOE Heals for Astrologian? Will they be able to cross-class Medica or have their own version of it?

What about while they are in "Scholar Stance." Do their card effects change, or are the cards the same no matter what?

Do we know 100% that you have to activate the card effect with a heal? Or do they have a ninjitsu analog where they activate whatever card situation they've decided to stick with?

• Options
    Well since they have the ability to store away 1 card for later use, I would assume that their active draw will auto-apply to the next heal they cast.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Probably a separate skill since if they are heal activated they would be screwing tanks over with that 10% damage taken debuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Probably a separate skill since if they are heal activated they would be screwing tanks over with that 10% damage taken debuff.

Oh man, if I could have a castable 10% damage taken debuff.... There's so many people that just need killin' sometimes.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    That's kind of the point tho. It's random, you draw, and if you get the 10% damage taken, you have to burn your redraw.

Of course, this is all just conjecture since there's still so very little info available.

• Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    Think my only questions for astro now are:

How long do these card buffs last?

Will I have time to buff multiple members?

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    From those notes about iLevel, I'm guessing that expansion merchant gear will go from i100 to i150

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dang.

Last night I was looking to do Camp Westwind(or whatever it's called) to make my way to 50 and get some more progress on the main story.

Was in queue for 35min. Decided to alt tab to look at reddit for LITERALLY 2min.

Missed the queue.

I guess I'll try again tonight...

• Options
    Dang.

Last night I was looking to do Camp Westwind(or whatever it's called) to make my way to 50 and get some more progress on the main story.

Was in queue for 35min. Decided to alt tab to look at reddit for LITERALLY 2min.

Missed the queue.

There is an option to allow the game sounds to still be active when FFXIV isn't the active screen, that way you can still hear the Queue pop when you alt+tab. I forget exactly where it is in the settings though :(

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Dang.

Missed the queue.

There is an option to allow the game sounds to still be active when FFXIV isn't the active screen, that way you can still hear the Queue pop when you alt+tab. I forget exactly where it is in the settings though :(

It's funny I forgot that I had turned it off and right after that went and found that option to turn it back on.

Thank you though!

This should save me the trouble next time.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Dang.

Missed the queue.

Should be under system configuration -> audio, in the top options, maybe even the top option :)

I uhh, tend to toggle it pretty often.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    If you weren't geared to the teeth and you have to run the full 7+ minutes? Sanngetall hits for upwards of 9k damage unmitigated which if you consider, is close to Nael's Ravensbeak initial hit, and the encounter is an i90 requirement. At i90, conv won't mean much if you can't avoid getting one shotted by that hit and there's usually an auto-attack immediately afterwards. Which is probably why there's a telegraph so you can Adloq/Stoneskin up for extra HP. Fair enough, the encounter is designed to have two tanks so you can swap after every hit to extend your cooldown pool.

I've PLD single tanked that in less than i110 when it came out without an issue ( hardly geared to the teeth). If you know what you're doing and your healers are on point it's not a thing. Like I said, plenty of cooldowns and spell mitigation available.

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    If you and the healers are on point (not to mention the DPS being on point) is its own brand of argument and more typical of an FC/LS/(maaaaaaaybe)PF group.

I think most people tend to forget how 'new-player friendly' FFXIV is (completely by design, I'd wager, too). I have to imagine the above would then be on the low end of their design POV. I'd also wager a rather significant portion of the playerbase have to rely on that not being the case (all the randomness of the typical PUG environment).

Not exactly trying to counter what anyone's saying, but that type of thinking (competency) seems to be the exception in the typical MMO environment. Or at least, my being forced to bard-tank 70% of content seems to suggest that ;)

Edit: not trying to be snarky, so it occurs to me that (competency) could be replaced instead with (experienced) to more accurately portray my point.

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    So Flick Mirion is currently in a party with our lord and saviour:

FScUQPF.jpg

Appropriately titled.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Papagander wrote: »
    If you and the healers are on point (not to mention the DPS being on point) is its own brand of argument and more typical of an FC/LS/(maaaaaaaybe)PF group.

I think most people tend to forget how 'new-player friendly' FFXIV is (completely by design, I'd wager, too). I have to imagine the above would then be on the low end of their design POV. I'd also wager a rather significant portion of the playerbase have to rely on that not being the case (all the randomness of the typical PUG environment).

Not exactly trying to counter what anyone's saying, but that type of thinking (competency) seems to be the exception in the typical MMO environment. Or at least, my being forced to bard-tank 70% of content seems to suggest that ;)

Edit: not trying to be snarky, so it occurs to me that (competency) could be replaced instead with (experienced) to more accurately portray my point.

To be fair, I don't consider "incompetent/inexperienced" players into my equation, because I simply avoid them like the plague in anything outside of 4 man roulettes. Strictly FC and LS groups for anything with a modicum of difficulty.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Oh i understand your point of view on that. I just thought the discussion was for someone interested in tanking in an MMO and about how the game was designed/structured. In such a discussion, the idea that with experienced players you can ignore how an encounter was designed seemed ill-fit, is all.

Papagander on
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    Neat shot of Dark Knight ability from benchmark.
    JO2yRPb.png
    I love the spell/ability effects in this game.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Hnnngggghhhhh.

NEED NOW.

• Options
    Papagander wrote: »
    Oh i understand your point of view on that. I just thought the discussion was for someone interested in tanking in an MMO and about how the game was designed/structured. In such a discussion, the idea that with experienced players you can ignore how an encounter was designed seemed ill-fit, is all.

Well, to your point, no new tank is gonna be anywhere near a fight where he's going to have to worry about not having a cool down up.

• Options
    Since no one has posted it yet, here's the actual Reddit thread with a link to the Twitch stream which should be starting up pretty soon...

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/37bnbs/heres_my_handson_with_heavensward_twitch_stream/

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Esh wrote: »
    Well, to your point, no new tank is gonna be anywhere near a fight where he's going to have to worry about not having a cool down up.

Truth, but to bring it full circle I do believe the extra cool-downs make pld/gld an easier class even to level up with, and for a traditional MMO player to ease into FFXIV. Heck, I think even new players wanting to try tanking should start with pld/gld because that seems to make it more forgiving.

On the flip side of that argument, a war/mrd playstyle seems much more involved (perhaps even to a meassure, more self-reliant) so experienced gamers looking for a challenge might appreciate it more. IMO the changes they made to flash awhile back make it easier to hold group aggro with so lower levels as a pld/gld becomes a flash/CD spam if you panic as a new guy (seriously, the most annoying low lvl dungeons are with inexperienced gld tanks who never flash). Heck, even half of high level pld/gld tanking just seems to be gather everything, pull into a group, and spam flash/cooldowns till the dps (and holy-spamming heals) can take care of it.

An interesting new topic that comes when your point is whether WAR or PLD endgame make better solo tanks with experienced groups. Out of my experience, seems ppl favor WAR who know what they're doing but a PLD tank is a safe bet.

Just thoughts. I need to finish lvling my warrior and maybe actually tank some endgame stuff on both.

Edit: edited for clarity of thought.

Papagander on
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man leveling a 2nd class is so much faster! Must be all this rested exp and leves I had lying around. Urh...anyway, I should really contact you guys now that I'm in Sargatannas.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Man leveling a 2nd class is so much faster! Must be all this rested exp and leves I had lying around. Urh...anyway, I should really contact you guys now that I'm in Sargatannas.

Just find any GHOST member, inspect them and click on the FC name and you can submit an application. put PA in the app and we'll get you in :)

delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.