As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USS Sable [Chat]

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    hL7xbNq.jpg

Is that a pineapple... tomato bear? With gravy?

Hamburguma GooGoo is a hamburg steak - it is a pretty common dish in Japan, you're served the meat patty with sauce and vegetables on the side. The difference is between hambaagu (hamburg steak) and hambaaga (what we call a hamburger)

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I'm so proud of you, simon

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Man I had a great class that looked at doomsday cults and their relationship with movies. On my phone but @wash if you remind me I can write it. The teacher used moonraker as the basis.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I have two espresso cups from two different local cafes.

One is designed to face the logo outwards when held by a right-handed person; the other is designed the other way.

What does that say about each cafe?

Maek u think.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_IM59vDZ_Q

I love that scene. Cox and D'Onofrio are fantastic.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Man I had a great class that looked at doomsday cults and their relationship with movies. On my phone but wash if you remind me I can write it. The teacher used moonraker as the basis.

I will definitely be reminding you later! :D

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    simon what are his other modes

like, wasabi mode if someone steps to his squirrel rice omlette friend or

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_IM59vDZ_Q

I love that scene. Cox and D'Onofrio are fantastic.

it's such a good interpretation of fisk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    i never understood villains that wanted to take over the world as a kid

that always seemed like work, rather than power

so every villain with that goal immediately came across as like, a short-sighted buffoon

like why would anyone want to take over the world, that's dumb

being in charge of things is hard

villains who just wanted money made more sense

Well sure. A child wouldn't understand the appeal of power for powers sake. It's an adult fantasy, and requires abstract thinking. From a child's point of view having STUFF or being able to control your immediate surroundings (and the people therein) would be much more appealing.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simon what are his other modes

like, wasabi mode if someone steps to his squirrel rice omlette friend or

So far as I have seen he has teriyaki mode for being sweet and kind, arabiki mode for when he is in full masked luchador getup, curry mode for spicy times, and wafuu (Japanese style) mode where he dresses up as a samurai

the latter two even have sick transformation sequences

dNsAqMi.jpg

• Options
    is that a radish samurai sword

• Options
    whoa whoa whoa

Daredevil facts.

Deborah Ann Woll's real life bf

is going blind.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If I was a villain I'd be a cybernetic Carmilla Dracula.

• Options
    Also I would know martial arts

• Options
    is that a radish samurai sword

Yeah, it's a daikon, the giant white Japanese radish

• Options
    whoa whoa whoa

Daredevil facts.

is going blind.

ugh due I already harvested a bunch of awesomes from this fact get with it

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mad Max was p gud

• Options
    I can't decide if the best villain is the one who is wrong-but-right like Magneto (such a great villain) or the kind who opposes the hero but in parallel before finally becoming good like Zukko (possibly the most emotionally satisfying villain arc in fiction).

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    52420150225135.jpg

• Options
    I can't decide if the best villain is the one who is wrong-but-right like Magneto (such a great villain) or the kind who opposes the hero but in parallel before finally becoming good like Zukko (possibly the most emotionally satisfying villain arc in fiction).
    what if both are good in different situations

• Options
    whoa whoa whoa

Daredevil facts.

is going blind.

ugh due I already harvested a bunch of awesomes from this fact get with it

i am beyond awesomes skips

i am.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I also liked the descent of Zuko's sister into insanity. Her final duel with Zuko feels very tragic.

Such a good show.

• Options

I personally prefer the latter. Someone with good intentions following the wrong path and, eventually, realizing it is extremely satisfying.

But Zuko also had the benefit of a bug fuck insane sister to take his place which certainly helps.

• Options
    also skippy. a girl recently pointed out my lack of tattoos.

i blame you for this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »

But what is best?

The villain who just wants revenge against XYZ is certainly good in some situations but it's hardly "best".

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Dune was a rancid homophobic pile of trash. By far Lynch's worst effort at anything, including his morning dump.

???

Ung

Not this argument again.

I think he was seeking elaboration not an argument

The last time I brought this up no one agreed with me and everyone was offended. I probably should have not brought it up again.

Please do. I've never heard this, and I'm genuinely curious.

Frank Herbet had a gay son whom he apparently rejected. His only gay character in his novels displays all the tendencies that people have hated and feared in gay men for a long time (the pedophilia, rape, alternately murdering young men or corrupting them) as well as all of the physical deformities that victorian society assures us will be inflicted on the sexually deviant.

It doesn't take much effort to draw a line from that to Herbert being a significant homophobe.

And no one here wants to hear that because I'm disparaging a sci-fi legend on a nerd forum.

Lynch isn't really to blame because he just evoked a character that was already existing in the novels. But it's still very sour to me.

most fantasy and sci-fi is garbage, even the stuff that is well-received

:rotate:

game of thrones is bad
    star wars is bad
    lord of the rings is bad
    the hobbit is good
    lankhmar is good
    the tombs of atuan is good
    the prydain chronicles is good

the end

Not enough spinning smilies in the world for this.

Maybe there would be if those things were good

• Options

I personally prefer the latter. Someone with good intentions following the wrong path and, eventually, realizing it is extremely satisfying.

But Zuko also had the benefit of a bug fuck insane sister to take his place which certainly helps.

Well sure but I would argue that ensuring there is still some sort of conflict that needs to be resolved even after your villain turns is an automatic, as this necessity isn't something that is going to sneak up on a writer and surprise them suddenly leaving them with no ending.

• Options

But what is best?

The villain who just wants revenge against XYZ is certainly good in some situations but it's hardly "best".
    there's not really a "best"
    it's situational, they fill different niches, and it depends on the skill of the writer

• Options

But what is best?

Obviously you just put all of them in the story and win at fictional narrative.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Oh wow they got the Original Alucard voice actor for a cameo on the Iga -Vania kickstarter

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    te1h02ub56ru.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Tav so just as I drove up to my house I was catching the last of some program on NPR. It was a comedian talking about him a heckler once. I laughed but it was a good story. Thought you would appreciate it.

http://themoth.org/posts/stories/not-too-sensitive-just-sensitive

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Over the last few months, young Bowser became a full-grown doge.

zekpxz70aec2.png

His life is still very difficult. It continues to include such struggles as wanting to stay awake and play, but falling asleep.

0pt4at3nrln1.png

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    the struggle is real

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Massive Chalice is the 'free' game on XBL gold, next month. Cool, I wanted to try that, but wasn't gonna pay for it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    @Gooey I was complemented on the crab in my sig

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP8SnZ0A8S8

I want this following me, with a live feed to an oculus, so I can play myself in 3rd person. @Echo

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Wash wrote: »
    It's nice to have a villain that isn't wrong. At least, not entirely wrong.

Like, maybe their end goal is even kinda noble, but the way they approach it is utterly monstrous.

Someone so fuelled by conviction that they'd burn the world down if they truly believed it was the right thing to do.

If they hadn't been nudged off course earlier along their path they might've been the hero.

Doom is a "villian" but every alternate world story where he wins leads to a good outcome for the world, vs most Marvel futures which are hell.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I have a dark hunger

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    @Mazzyx tell me of this moonraker lecture plz

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.