Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Succession

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Succession

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Soul SanctumSoul Sanctum Registered User regular
    No clue who this strip is referring to. Some youtube nobody?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

I think it's referring to a Youtube Sombody. That not only has Gabe never heard of, his kid's friends are more impressed by than Gabe. Which be any of them.

• Options
    SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    Yeah, its some dude on youtube with some billion views. Young kids really seem to gravitate to him just like PewDiePie.

• Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »

I think it's referring to a Youtube Sombody. That not only has Gabe never heard of, his kid's friends are more impressed by than Gabe. Which be any of them.

As long as someone's only notable skill is getting fat spoiled first world children and idiots to click on their videos, they shall forever be a nobody in my book.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    He does a lot of minecraft videos. He has a nifty voice, so they're not bad to watch. He's also created some nifty animation/song videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6XOWKs1dCA

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lovely wrote: »
    He does a lot of minecraft videos. He has a nifty voice, so they're not bad to watch. He's also created some nifty animation/song videos:
    pass

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I'm just saying who he is dude, I'm not telling you to be his groupie or anything. Jesus.

sig.gif
  • Options

As long as someone's only notable skill is getting fat spoiled first world children and idiots to click on their videos, they shall forever be a nobody in my book.

I don't see a huge difference between that and dumb JPGs about wangs and video games. <grin>

• Options
    no harsh tone intended, I watched and was just stating an opinion.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    who?

oh, that's right, I'm old now.

• Options
    edited June 2015

I don't see a huge difference between that and dumb JPGs about wangs and video games. <grin>

One takes some artistic ability and writing skill in addition to immersion and knowledge of the video game subculture.

Another does not.

Soul Sanctum on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

One takes some artistic ability and writing skill in addition to immersion and knowledge of the video game subculture.

Another does not.

The guy writes parody songs and acts them out with Minecraft. Well enough that lots of people like him and he can make a living off it.

I personally may not care about what he makes but I couldn't say he hasn't made something worthwhile either.

Quid on
  • Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    I really don't understand why those kids are all obsessing over those youtube dweebs as if they were gods or something.

It's getting more and more annoying every year.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    You damn kids and your tubes

Get off my internet lawn

• Options
    its just like SP episode Rehash

• Options
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    I really don't understand why those kids are all obsessing over those youtube dweebs as if they were gods or something.

This is every generation ever. Just change out youtube for comics or rock stars or ninja turtles or pretty much whatever kids like at the time.

• Options
    Robotic DraconianRobotic Draconian Registered User regular
    Ah, CaptainSparklez! Yes...that guy... (I actually only know the name. I don't actually know what he does or who he is.)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I have not heard of the guy. My lil bro is all about StampyLongNose or something.

It's nuts that there's more than one of these guys to choose from. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

This is every generation ever. Just change out youtube for comics or rock stars or ninja turtles or pretty much whatever kids like at the time.

91sn32Q.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Is he going to be at Prime? I'm bringing my 10 year old this year and he will be pumped if he can meet him.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

(In other amazing news, I was actually able to find a Simpsons clip on youtube that wasn't filmed with a camera pointed at a tv and in Spanish...)

dennis on
  • Options
    bingodanbingodan Registered User regular
    My roommate gets all angry about new music now a days. Its the same idea, we are old and shit doesnt cater to us anymore, dont be an angry bitch about it, just move on.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Wow. People trashing someone they don't even know sure is classy. Careful some of you don't cut yourself on all that edginess. I like the last panel btw. For some reason I never get tired of the evil flaming eyes thing.

ziddersroofurry on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    As an old I must say

http://youtu.be/I-sH53vXP2A

This is talented work. I mean I used to be into AMV and 95% of that was scenes of DBZ set to linkin park so I'm not gonna judge what the kids are into.

Also dude is a looker. If I were a chick I'd be all sploosh.

You keep on being brilliant YouTube guy. Now I'm gonna go watch Crawling in my Saiyan and weep for my lost youth.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options

Wait the first gen tmnt or the stupid Michael bay aliens ruining my precious childhood how dare they tmnt?
    Trick question TMNT was ruined when they made a female turtle. Also I'm kidding.

• Options
    Kagera wrote: »

Wait the first gen tmnt or the stupid Michael bay aliens ruining my precious childhood how dare they tmnt?
    Trick question TMNT was ruined when they made a female turtle. Also I'm kidding.

No, it was ruined when they made a dumb cartoon about skateboards and pizza from a cool comic. <also kidding, enjoy what you want>

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    When they made moving images out of the radio it all went to shit.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    As an old I must say

This is talented work. I mean I used to be into AMV and 95% of that was scenes of DBZ set to linkin park so I'm not gonna judge what the kids are into.

You keep on being brilliant YouTube guy. Now I'm gonna go watch Crawling in my Saiyan and weep for my lost youth.

*looks at page views*

O_O

Git dang I wish I was as much of a nobody.

• Options
    BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    My only thought about Youtubers is to wish them luck, because like any celebrity it can come and go depending on fads. Plus Youtube apparently has been messing with how they get their income so that can be scary.

Overall I'm not sure why some people hate them so much? They are no different from movie stars or tv celebrities, just a different medium and demographic.

• Options
    My only thought about Youtubers is to wish them luck, because like any celebrity it can come and go depending on fads. Plus Youtube apparently has been messing with how they get their income so that can be scary.

Overall I'm not sure why some people hate them so much? They are no different from movie stars or tv celebrities, just a different medium and demographic.
    I think some of it is the Modern Art criticism. "I could do that thing I view as easy, so they have no right to be making huge money doing it".

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular

91sn32Q.jpg

Definitely the vibe I'm getting from this thread, haha.

I don't really watch a whole lot on YouTube (certainly not CaptainSparklez), but CaptainSparklez is a seriously talented dude. Minecraft videos are probably what a lot of children have spent the bulk of their free time in the last 4 years watching.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    I had never heard of this sparkle guy, but I figured that he did Minecraft videos because that's what the kids like. (My nephews are obsessed. They like watching the videos more than playing Minecraft.)

I decided to check him out to get the full effect of the comic, I was expecting him to be as bad as PewDiePie, but he's actually fine. Not all screamy and screechy and foolish. He just narrates his Minecraft let's plays with his calming voice. And he's actually good at the game. I checked out his latest video about finishing off the various Minecraft bosses on Hardcore mode. I have some respect for that. I always get fucked up by a creeper when I play Hardcore. Maybe 1 hour, or 1 day, or 1 week later, but I do get overconfident and then get blown up.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular

While I don't *hate* them, I sometimes feel that the stupid shrieking ones with lazily done videos get all the views, while the more researched, witty and interesting ones aren't nearly as popular.
    But I guess that's also true of music, movies, comics, video games and TV shows.

• Options
    Djiem wrote: »

While I don't *hate* them, I sometimes feel that the stupid shrieking ones with lazily done videos get all the views, while the more researched, witty and interesting ones aren't nearly as popular.
    But I guess that's also true of music, movies, comics, video games and TV shows.

Speaking of who remembers The Learning Channel?

Yeah. It sucks but then again it's not really their fault because that is what their viewers want and frankly if I could do that instead of working retail well I'd legally change my name to XxX360NoScopesHereXxX

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the only thing that gets me about youtubes like that (not that I've watched all that many but still) is the writing; most of those dudes would benefit heavily from a competent editor because their scripts are like, blah

talking extemporaneously for five minutes and having it be interesting is hard man

at least back in the day whatever the children's media obsession of the moment was could be counted on to be the product of a professional staff, not one or two dudes with 'prosumer' equipment

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GreathouseGreathouse That's my name AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I love the Simpsons reference to this strip, amazing. Now I'm going to sound and scared but is it just me or do things seem to change a lot faster in the last 10 years than before? I start to gain some knowledge of something and boom...it's gone.

• Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I fully understand the first panel. Kids want to see youtube guy, but what does it have to do with Gabe running PAX? Do they want him to invite that youtube guy there or what?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    if any of you olds wanna feel less old I did not know who this guy was either

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    As an old I must say

Yeah he aint bad to look at at all.

Also honestly his videos seem a mix of standard LP stuff and really well produced music videos. Doesn't really seem a reason to hate.