As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sudrian [Chat]

RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
632?cb=20140628034116

The Island of Sodor is an Island in the Irish Sea, between the Isle of Man and England, northwest of Lancaster. Its demonym is Sudrian, and is home to a near extinct Gaelic Language called Sudric, closely related to Manx, and also to Irish and Welsh.

It's been continuously occupied since the Roman Empire, though Rome never established any meaningful presence on it, being driven off by natives. After Roman withdrawal the Sudrians were for the most part independent, although were sometimes antagonistic towards Scotland who had designs towards the island. However the Normans also wanted it and invaded a few times. The island remained autonomous until 1399, when Henry IV of England deposed the rulers and gave it to the Percy family.

Sodor is famous for its railways. At least four different railways exist on the island as of the 1960's: Standard Gauge, Narrow Gauge, a Mountain Railway for its tallest Mountain of Culdee Fell and a miniature line between a small quarry and the standard gauge.

Oh and all the engines are sentient with grey faces some people find terrifying and the railways are owned communally for their benefit as well as the island's population.

@spacekungfuman

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Hodor.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Arin prepares the best surprises sometimes.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    @Regina Fong what kind of games do you typically play? Ive been playing Dreamfall Chapters and its episodic so unfortunately its not done yet, but of the three playable characters, the guy is gay.

I dont know if that is something you would care about, but I thought it was pretty rad.

Neco on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    632?cb=20140628034116

The Island of Sodor is an Island in the Irish Sea, between the Isle of Man and England, northwest of Lancaster. Its demonym is Sudrian, and is home to a near extinct Gaelic Language called Sudric, closely related to Manx, and also to Irish and Welsh.

It's been continuously occupied since the Roman Empire, though Rome never established any meaningful presence on it, being driven off by natives. After Roman withdrawal the Sudrians were for the most part independent, although were sometimes antagonistic towards Scotland who had designs towards the island. However the Normans also wanted it and invaded a few times. The island remained autonomous until 1399, when Henry IV of England deposed the rulers and gave it to the Percy family.

Sodor is famous for its railways. At least four different railways exist on the island as of the 1960's: Standard Gauge, Narrow Gauge, a Mountain Railway for its tallest Mountain of Culdee Fell and a miniature line between a small quarry and the standard gauge.

Oh and all the engines are sentient with grey faces some people find terrifying and the railways are owned communally for their benefit as well as the island's population.

@spacekungfuman

This is a really useful OP!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i tried to play The Longest Journey when i got my new comp but it would just crash straight to desktop as soon as a cutscene started

i got relatively far in it before and it was baller though. I should really play Dreamfall and Chapters

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    "Regina Fong" what kind of games do you typically play? Ive been playing Dreamfall Chapters and its episodic so unfortunately its not done yet, but of the three playable characters, the guy is gay.

I dont know if that is something you would care about, but I thought it was pretty rad.

I'm willing to go outside my wheelhouse if something looks interesting, but generally speaking I play rpgs and turn based strategy games.

• Options
    dreamfall-1024x600.jpg

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    i tried to play The Longest Journey when i got my new comp but it would just crash straight to desktop as soon as a cutscene started

i got relatively far in it before and it was baller though. I should really play Dreamfall and Chapters

I think I am in the minority on this, but I much preferred Dreamfall over The Longest Journey.

• Options
    "Regina Fong" what kind of games do you typically play? Ive been playing Dreamfall Chapters and its episodic so unfortunately its not done yet, but of the three playable characters, the guy is gay.

I'm willing to go outside my wheelhouse if something looks interesting, but generally speaking I play rpgs and turn based strategy games.

Ah, ok then!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Now I'm just wondering, how would I jury-rig some extra cooling

something could be done with a unidirectional valve, copper tubing, a cooling pad, and a bucket of ice, I reckon

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Also, episodic gaming can die in a fire

• Options
    although buying a new PC would solve it. But hah, who has money?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 already did. :(

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm smiling from buffer to buffer right now. A great idea flew into @RMS Oceanic s funnel and with a whistle and a chuff he got the job done on time. Unlike other chatters who cause confusion and delay when they take side trips on the way to making their new OPs, RMS Oceanic's firebox flames brightly as he went directly to Brendam Docks to deliver a finely crafted OP.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I've definitely started to just wait for an episodic game to reach its conclusion before I buy in, as I tend to enjoy the experience more if I can consume it all at once. I wonder if the episodic business model is actually rewarding for developers or not. Doesn't everybody just buy the "Season Pass" (all the episodes) anyway?

• Options

If you never go outside your wheelhouse then you can't be a really useful engine. You might even get bricked up in the shed!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    @spacekungfuman I dont know what services you have but I suggesy "My Big Big Friend" for SpacekungfuChild lots of good lessons and not a bad show to boot.

Almost what Caillou SHOULD be.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    I've definitely started to just wait for an episodic game to reach its conclusion before I buy in, as I tend to enjoy the experience more if I can consume it all at once. I wonder if the episodic business model is actually rewarding for developers or not. Doesn't everybody just buy the "Season Pass" (all the episodes) anyway?

I can't see a downside. The money's in the devs' pockets. It's like pre-ordering Episode 1 at full price but you get Episodes 2-6 as a free bonus.

• Options
    It's getting cold in here. Which will hopefully help. That, and continuously checking the temps. I wish SpeedFan had an overlay so I could see it in-game.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I'm smiling from buffer to buffer right now. A great idea flew into @RMS Oceanic s funnel and with a whistle and a chuff he got the job done on time. Unlike other chatters who cause confusion and delay when they take side trips on the way to making their new OPs, RMS Oceanic's firebox flames brightly as he went directly to Brendam Docks to deliver a finely crafted OP.

Do they have weird verbs for when diesels think?

His governor ground or something?

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »

Do they have weird verbs for when diesels think?

His governor ground or something?

Plotting. Scheming.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

I can't see a downside. The money's in the devs' pockets. It's like pre-ordering Episode 1 at full price but you get Episodes 2-6 as a free bonus.

What I'm wondering is if Telltale (or whoever) makes more money by releasing "The Wolf Among Us" (or whatever) in 5 parts over the course of 8 months compared to if they just delayed the release for 8 months and released it all at once. I guess they must at least think that they do! Increased exposure, probably a longer tail on sales since it's like a new release coming out constantly. Since my experience is effectively the same if I just choose to wait (usually I also get a discount for my patience!) I guess I don't have a problem with the existence of the model if it's just letting more games get made.

• Options

If you never go outside your wheelhouse then you can't be a really useful engine. You might even get bricked up in the shed!

I am not an engine, nor would I want to be one.

And don't pretend like you don't know what that means because there are human people in your little show. :-p

• Options

Dreamfall Chapters was the only kickstarter project I backed, and THEN they announced it was going to be episodic. Grrr.

Fortunately its at least been pretty good so far.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Dreamfall Chapters was the only kickstarter project I backed, and THEN they announced it was going to be episodic. Grrr.

Fortunately its at least been pretty good so far.

Never trust

• Options
    Lets explore how fucked up it is that a children's show has two races of train, diesel and steam, and one of them is clearly the good guys and the other species of train is always viewed with suspicion.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Lets explore how fucked up it is that a children's show has two races of train, diesel and steam, and one of them is clearly the good guys and the other species of train is always viewed with suspicion.

I saw a paper recently suggesting that reading Harry Potter passages about people being jerks to mudbloods decreased racism in children.

Someone should do that with this and see if they have opposite results.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    around diesels, never relax, etc.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    @spacekungfuman I dont know what services you have but I suggesy "My Big Big Friend" for SpacekungfuChild lots of good lessons and not a bad show to boot.

Almost what Caillou SHOULD be.

Thanks for the reccomendation. Right now we have him watching a very limited amount of TV. Usually just an hour or so total during the day. Thomas, Mickey Mouse club house or Sesame Street is all he watches now. After watchi nose of that, we'll let him watch educational DVDs that are actually really great, from this company Preschool prep. He learned the whole alphabet (uppercase and lowercase), the numbers 1-10, and lots of colors and shapes very quickly (all of it in around 3 months total) from those videos.

• Options

What I'm wondering is if Telltale (or whoever) makes more money by releasing "The Wolf Among Us" (or whatever) in 5 parts over the course of 8 months compared to if they just delayed the release for 8 months and released it all at once. I guess they must at least think that they do! Increased exposure, probably a longer tail on sales since it's like a new release coming out constantly. Since my experience is effectively the same if I just choose to wait (usually I also get a discount for my patience!) I guess I don't have a problem with the existence of the model if it's just letting more games get made.

What's your take on expansion packs? Do you usually wait until a 'Game of the Year' edition is out?

I'm doing that now for Alien: Isolation, patiently waiting until all 5 DLCs in one box.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

I saw a paper recently suggesting that reading Harry Potter passages about people being jerks to mudbloods decreased racism in children.

Someone should do that with this and see if they have opposite results.

Rowling wasn't even being subtle with the mudblood thing, it was pretty clear she was taking on prejudice and racism and she handled it quite well.

• Options

I am not an engine, nor would I want to be one.

And don't pretend like you don't know what that means because there are human people in your little show. :-p

But a human wouldn't be in the wheel house, other than while on a train. People can turn on their own!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    My favorite story from the Sudrian cycle of myth was the tale of Sir Thomase and the Knight of the Black Carriage.
    Sir Thomase was a bold and leal knight, clad in blue armour and the greatest of court at Sodor. His reputation was known as far as Leudonia. Sir Thomase was commissioned by the King of Sodor Barr Hatta to bring coal to Camelot to light the fires for King Arthur's birthday feast. Along the way, Thomase was waylaid by a stranger along the highway. The stranger was a head taller than any knight Thomase had yet faced and clad all in black armour and sat upon a great carriage pulled by four armour clad horses.

"Ho and hail!" Thomase called out to the knight. "Dost thou travel unto Camelot to deliver your goods? Or continue ye on to Camulodunon and thence to the empire?" The knight laughed at the suggestion.

"Little sire, I travel where I will. What is Arthur to me or your Barr Hatta? I trade what I will and sell when I like. I am a revolutionary!"

Sir Thomase gave the man a salute and said "I must be going, for I have a commission from my king, fare thee well, stranger!" Thomase drove on but the knight pulled ahead of him. "I say, let us have a race. If thee be the victor, I shall give thee my prized golden dragon for thee to gift unto thine king but if I win, ye shall give unto me thy coal."

"Nay, I must refuse, my goal must be accomplished."

"I had heard tell of the bravery of Sir Thomase of Sodor, sad to say it would seem to be the stuff of myth!" The knight laughed again.

Thomase's gorge rose and his face reddened.

"Say, villain, if thou would see the courage of Sodor, see here!"

At that the race was set, Thomase was swift but his horse was not as strong as those pulling the black carriage. In his hubris, the black knight turned his head to mock Thomase. In doing this he did not see the bend upon the highway and his carriage tumbled into the river ribble. Thomase, victorious, returned to aid the knight out of the bracken, but only found the golden dragon upon the shore. He gathered it and gave unto it a gift upon his return to Barr Hatta. You can find it to this day amongst the library of the Lord's manor at Suddery.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @Neco The gray, long-haired garden kitten curled up around a small potted chili plant for a nap.

Unfortunately he leapt up and scampered away when I walked by with groceries, so no photos.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

Half-Life 2: Episode 3 already did. :(

We should make cliffhanger endings illegal.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

How else are kids going to learn to throw off the shackles of their oppressors?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

the english are by nature divisive and exclusionary

look at the historical documentaries the patriot and braveheart for more information

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Dear Esther is one of those games everybody has in their Steam library. I also have it, because I accidentally bought it during a Steam sale. I finally played it last night, and it was great.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Y'all see the unused Crash Bandicoot animated cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t_4YclrGqM

is so 90's it hurts

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.