As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NFL Super Bowl XLIX: Lick the Gun

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    The day I look forward to every year:
    http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2015-washington-redskins-1719717871
    Imagine if Donald Trump’s Twitter feed were a football team. That’s the Skins.

This article is brutal: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/11/19/chris-cooley-rgiii-was-so-bad-i-cant-assess-the-rest-of-the-redskins-offense/

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    In case you guys were wondering the Dead Indian Creek meme made a room full of Natives laugh.

OMG this is the best comment from the Deadspin:
    I was flying from DC to San Francisco, and the airplane stranger (wearing a Raiders ball cap) next to me decided to strike up the usual conversation – what’s in San Fran? What do you do for a living? Where are you from? After telling him that I was from the DC area, and with no further conversation, Raiders Man promptly threw on his Dr. Dre headphones and fell asleep. As our plane began its descent into SFO five hours later, Raiders Man asked, “What’s your thoughts on the Redskins losing their trademark?”

Our team and its fans are so illogical, uncompromising, and unduly proud, that the thought of hearing a belligerent, frothy-mouthed Redskins fan bitch about 1st Amendment Freedom of Speech ‘merica bullshit actually made a Raiders fan feel imprisoned on a cross-country flight.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    From the Oakland write-up:
    But really, after getting the Heisman from Jim Harbaugh (imagine a coach looking at your organization and being like, “I’d better go to Michigan. They’re WAY more functional”)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    So, as a Saints fan, I can say I am incredibly happy with the team's decision to get rid of Galette. In the words of a former Saints player, "He stayed disciplined long enough to get paid; then the real Junior came out. Sad."

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Talk about shitty

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    In case you guys were wondering the Dead Indian Creek meme made a room full of Natives laugh.

I was flying from DC to San Francisco, and the airplane stranger (wearing a Raiders ball cap) next to me decided to strike up the usual conversation – what’s in San Fran? What do you do for a living? Where are you from? After telling him that I was from the DC area, and with no further conversation, Raiders Man promptly threw on his Dr. Dre headphones and fell asleep. As our plane began its descent into SFO five hours later, Raiders Man asked, “What’s your thoughts on the Redskins losing their trademark?”

Our team and its fans are so illogical, uncompromising, and unduly proud, that the thought of hearing a belligerent, frothy-mouthed Redskins fan bitch about 1st Amendment Freedom of Speech ‘merica bullshit actually made a Raiders fan feel imprisoned on a cross-country flight.

I have to ask on my girlfriend's behalf (she's Native hersef) - can you explain that meme?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

I have to ask on my girlfriend's behalf (she's Native hersef) - can you explain that meme?

1354930099882529608.png

• Options
    From the Jacksonville writeup:
    The best thing about the Jaguars the last 15 years has been the mascot, Jaxson de Ville... and he just retired. Yes, our biggest offseason loss was our mascot.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    From the Oakland write-up:
    But really, after getting the Heisman from Jim Harbaugh (imagine a coach looking at your organization and being like, “I’d better go to Michigan. They’re WAY more functional”)

Hey, we fired our incompetent buffoon who was in charge. Theirs owns the team.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    WYTS is my favorite part of the football season every year, and my team is good!

• Options
    Cog wrote: »

1354930099882529608.png

Yeah it is pretty self explanatory. :) It just goes with the dubious origins of the terminology, its use, the naming of the team by a noted racist and the fight today to keep the name from, by all accounts, dick rich mans son.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I so wish that photo were real.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    Nah its a photoshop of some lame Dan Snynder photo op of him showing off like slur shoes or something?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    And in NFL fail today, Junior Seau's family is barred from speaking at his HOF induction.

Three guesses as to why.

• Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    Meh. Today was Olbermann's last day. So they're probably just using this as an excuse. They sure as shit don't care about a thing Screaming Stephen and Brainless say on a daily basis.

It kind of reminds me of what Larry Krueger did in San Francisco a decade ago.
    "Brain dead Caribbean hitters hacking at slop nightly"

ranted Bay Area sports radio talkshow host Larry Krueger about why the San Francisco Giants are playing poorly this year. He also said 70-year-old manager Felipe Alou had a brain "had turned to Cream of Wheat." For his "racist" and "ageist" comments, he was promptly suspended (although nobody could explain what race "Caribbean" players are). Manager Felipe Alou refused to accept Krueger's apology and continues to demand that he be fired.

I still am not entirely sure it was racist, but it wasn't an especially good idea. The result was Alou refused to accept his appology and demanded Krueger be fired. Krueger, who had by that point been loudly critical of the team and management, was working for the flagship station that the Giants owned a part of. So of course he was fired.

Didn't change the fact that Alou was a terrible manager who was allowed to darken the dugout for another season. Nor did it change that the entire team was horrendous at plate discipline. I doubt that Krueger had meant to be so tasteless, but accept the end result. Even if Giants management were really sketchy about the whole thing.

In Cowherd's case, however, I'm not so sure he wasn't just being a dickbag because that's just the kind of dickbag he is. What were they going to do, fire him? He was already one foot out the door anyway.

Now...when can we get rid of Jim Rome?

• Options
    Cowherd directly insulted Dominican's by implying baseball can't be complex because they play the game well. If you don't see that as racist...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I was talking about Krueger.

Cowherd was being racist. Or just himself, really.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Cowherd directly insulted Dominican's by implying baseball can't be complex because they play the game well. If you don't see that as racist...

Unless you consider every country to have be its own race, its not racist. He wasn't saying that its because they're not white, but because the country's education system is poor (they're rated about 1/3rd of what the US is rated). Its completely prejudice and an absolutely shitty thing to say and he should be kicked off the air for it, but I just don't think racist is the right term for it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Racist may or may not be the right term (really don't want to go down that rabbit hole, suffice it to say that race is as much a social construct as nationality). But he is lumping a group of people together and assuming that they have certain properties (uneducated, ignorant, stupid, are simple enough to understand baseball therefore everyone else should be able to understand baseball, etc. etc. etc.) based on that group designation.

I think we can all agree that it's prejudiced and discriminatory and frankly asinine.

• Options
    The NFL will have new procedures for dealing with games balls.

Each on to be 3D printed before each play and destroyed after a single use with a solemn ceremony officiated by a member of the Supreme Court.

No ball may be used without an accompanying certificate of authenticity (which you may purchase at NFL.com). Failure to comply will be followed by a ten yard penalty and loss of down.

Fans will not be allowed to leave their seats lest they distract the komodo dragons guarding each printer.

If any team's printer fails to work, they will be penalised all of their draft picks for the next year. Repeat offenses will result in a loss of draft picks retroactively.

The NFL: We're on it!

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Cog wrote: »

1354930099882529608.png

Background: Dan Snyder is an asshole and everyone hates him.

1. The deadslurs tweeted this amazing picture of Dan Snyder showing off some new kicks:

2. Deadspin said, "photoshop contest time!" http://deadspin.com/photoshop-contest-dan-snyders-thumbs-up-1451386405

3. Results: http://deadspin.com/your-best-dan-snyder-photoshop-contest-submissions-1452210565

The rest is history.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You know I enjoy the deadspin articles about hating football teams more than I enjoy the season itself!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    The actual new rules.
    Each team will supply 24 footballs -- 12 primary and 12 backup -- two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. Previously, the home team provided 24 balls while visitors only had to provide 12.

Two members of the officiating crew, as designated by the referee, will inspect the footballs to make sure they meet specifications. Previously, that job belonged to the referee.

For the first time, records will be kept of footballs' pre-kickoff PSI measurements.

Footballs that fall within the acceptable PSI range (12.5-13.5 PSI) will be approved for game play. Those falling outside the range will either be inflated or deflated to 13.0 PSI.

[...]

Pereira calls the new procedures an overreaction but adds, "I think the league has a tendency to do that."

You think?
    "Checking the balls before the game and after the game would have been enough for me," Pereira continues. "The officials have approximately only six minutes in their locker room at halftime as it is. By the time they get off the field and then have to leave to notify the teams with a two-minute warning to get back on the field, that leaves them hardly enough time to catch their breaths."

Meanwhile, we wait for Roger to make a decision.

I guess it would be too much to have the league themselves monitor the balls directly. It's also amazing that Rog is this stupid to drag this out. Does he even want the job anymore?

• Options
    Because the Yankees and Red Sox don't play every day, ESPN will air a primetime special on the Dallas Cowboys. Huzzah.
    Luckily, ESPN knows exactly what you need to cure these summertime blues… a primetime special from Dallas Cowboys training camp!!!

The special takes place August 4th at 7 PM and will show two hours of Cowboys practice while ESPN drapes itself in blue and silver and pretends we’re still in the Landry Era. Kenny Mayne will host alongside Jon Gruden and Darren Woodson so at least there might be some good opportunities for unintentional and intentional comedy.

[...]

It could have been worse though, America. ESPN could have picked the Eagles and Tebow. So let’s at least be thankful for that.

Yeah.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I would have loved to see the Bills.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

DON'T READ THE COMMENTS

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Brady's appeal to be denied, via Stephen a smith

Also he said he "heard" Brady had destroyed his phone. Sounds like a baseless rumor

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »

DON'T READ THE COMMENTS

I don't know how, but someone genuinely seemed to believe that this was a sign the country was going down the toilet and it was Obama's fault.

• Options
    Anybody know what they hired her to do?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Inside Linebacker coach.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Inside Linebacker coach.

Well, intern.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    this is the best quote from today
    Jay Cutler plays football as if he’s trying to piss his dad off.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Brady suspension upheld - what a joke. On to court, let's make this take a full calendar year

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    The system works!

PAD ID - 328,762,218